Author Topic: Elon Musk  (Read 9158 times)

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Elon Musk
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2018, 06:47:55 PM »
^Digging a straightforward tunnel with a TBM is relatively cheap.  Any sort of special track, like a merge, has to be carved out by hand. Each one of those stations + a pair of merges will cost $100 million. 

And what if a bunch of cars want to go to the same station at the same time?  All cued up to take one elevator?  Another giant Musk oversight.  The guy is tech's Trump. 

Offline thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2018, 08:12:06 PM »
I donít understand the purpose of the skates that supposedly whisk the vehicles around. What do they gain over just building a normal tunnel and restricting it to electric vehicles?

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2018, 09:16:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/972233079342297088

@elonmusk

Adjusting The Boring Company plan: all tunnels & Hyperloop will prioritize pedestrians & cyclists over cars

Will still transport cars, but only after all personalized mass transit needs are met. Itís a matter of courtesy & fairness. If someone canít afford a car, they should go first.

Boring Co urban loop system would have 1000ís of small stations the size of a single parking space that take you very close to your destination & blend seamlessly into the fabric of a city, rather than a small number of big stations like a subway

Better video coming soon, but it would look a bit like this:

Video available at:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/972245615735222273

LOL!  Elon Musk has officially jumped the shark.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »
It seems part of Musk's goal is to make suburban life carbon neutral, thereby eradicating the primary contemporary argument against it: the eco argument that cities are superior because they are more resource efficient.

For me, the argument of city vs. suburb is one of temperament. Some people are just uncomfortable around large numbers of people, no matter who they are, and so prefer to have their space.  I think these people deserve to have their desired built environment as much as people who prefer to be able to walk to work or who hate driving.

the rise of home offices and delivery for everything is making cities and suburbs irrelevant. you can live anywhere. soon amazon will be dropping purchases down to your backwoods rural georgia cabin via drones.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
They were supposed to do that a long time ago.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
^ hang on. the drone sites are awaiting hyperloop freight deliveries.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »
It is extremely clear from statements like this:

Boring Co urban loop system would have 1000ís of small stations the size of a single parking space that take you very close to your destination & blend seamlessly into the fabric of a city, rather than a small number of big stations like a subway

that Elon does not even understand the basics of how transportation works.

Anyone who does already knows that there is a tradeoff between the speed of transportation and the number of stops it makes. There's a whole scale between rapid transit and local circulation that every transportation system falls on. If the Hyperloop has thousands of stops in a city, it won't be high speed. How are people still falling for this?

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »

Anyone who does already knows that there is a tradeoff between the speed of transportation and the number of stops it makes. There's a whole scale between rapid transit and local circulation that every transportation system falls on. If the Hyperloop has thousands of stops in a city, it won't be high speed. How are people still falling for this?

I'm not sure where he's coming from on this because that's basic.  Though I just watched the video and theoretically it could work.   Practically I'm not sure.

That was the issue with CCC high speed rail.   You know that if it passed anywhere near Dismal Seepage on the way from Columbus to Cincinnati, State Representative Porkphile, who just happens to chair the Infrastructure Committee, would demand a stop within the borders of DS, the closer to the traffic light the better.   Or else.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:07:18 PM by E Rocc »

Offline MikeInCanton

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »
Musk was just spitballing. He's admitted the Hyperloop and Boring Company stuff are very much tertiary things for him. Until Tesla is actually producing a profitable amount of cars I doubt he'll be spending a great deal of time on them outside of publicity stunts.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
The pushback Musk is getting on his twitter feed is hilarious.  You can tell the guy isn't used to being criticized.  Or riding the bus.  Or walking to the grocery store. 

Online JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »

I'm not sure where he's coming from on this because that's basic.  Though I just watched the video and theoretically it could work.   Practically I'm not sure.

That was the issue with CCC high speed rail.   You know that if it passed anywhere near Dismal Seepage on the way from Columbus to Cincinnati, State Representative Porkphile, who just happens to chair the Infrastructure Committee, would demand a stop within the borders of DS, the closer to the traffic light the better.   Or else.   

How long will the line be to wait to take the lift? This is like waiting in line for the elevator, but with everything being the size of a car.
ďAll truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.Ē
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
How long will the line be to wait to take the lift? This is like waiting in line for the elevator, but with everything being the size of a car.

Yeah, next he's going to invent...on-ramps. 

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »

Yeah, that's part of the practicality. 

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2018, 02:46:21 PM »
The pushback Musk is getting on his twitter feed is hilarious.  You can tell the guy isn't used to being criticized.  Or riding the bus.  Or walking to the grocery store. 

Well he's a billionaire so his groceries get delivered and he's probably on the autism spectrum so he's likely always avoided the bus and for that matter flying commercial.  He's not used to getting criticized by people who don't know much about engineering so he gets a little salty.  I sometimes do too when people speak profoundly stupidly about metals (the "9/11 was a fraud because jet fuel fire can't melt steel" folks take the cake there).   Like someone else I could name, he probably shouldn't be active on Twitter.

He's kind of the counterpart of the urbanists even some of their own called "Sim City" types, that want to plan for efficiency and forget that people (especially Americans and double especially noncoastal Americans) don't always value that.

But the man is even money to put someone on the Moon during the next decade and it's not a bad thing for him to dabble in stuff like this.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2018, 03:11:57 PM »
Yeah, I've been getting annoyed with his public transit controversies as of recent, but I give the guy credit for his imagination and his willingness to put his money where his mouth is, and I am wholeheartedly cheering for him in his space travel endeavors. #MAGTSA (Make America Go to Space Again)

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »
No sign of Elon Musk or his vaunted Boring Company at this year's World Tunnel Congress in Dubai:

What would they have posted at their exhibit?  Twitter photos sent out by Musk of the TBM he bought from LA County? 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
He's too busy with his car, space, and candy companies to focus on his tunnel boring company.

Offline UrbanSurfin

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
^Or his boring tunnel company.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
schweet!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/11/technology/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnel/index.html

That tunnel was built with a LA metro boring machine but is less than the distance between two stations.  Only one tunnel, not two, so no 2-way traffic. 

Just another publicity stunt from Musk, and the national media fell for it. 

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
schweet!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/11/technology/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnel/index.html

That tunnel was built with a LA metro boring machine but is less than the distance between two stations.  Only one tunnel, not two, so no 2-way traffic. 

Sounds like a better word might be "prototype".   

News to me that he's moving cars.   I've thought for awhile that if railroads could do that on a practical basis it might catch on.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
schweet!

News to me that he's moving cars.   I've thought for awhile that if railroads could do that on a practical basis it might catch on.

He's not moving cars, just more hype.  Nothing is actually happening, other than every dumbass news organization is covering this tunnel-to-nowhere. 

Fake News! 

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
He broke the internet, again, by dating Grimes, a well known feminist and typically anti-capitalist musician.

Supposedly they met because he was going to make a pun and found out she already had, and few others even got it.   Similar senses of humor, hmmmm that has never happened before LOL.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
schweet!

He's not moving cars, just more hype.  Nothing is actually happening, other than every dumbass news organization is covering this tunnel-to-nowhere. 

Fake News! 

When and if he does, that's a key step towards making this system work.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
Look at them kissing Musk's ass:

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
How easy is it to bait Elon Musk? Very easy.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:45 PM »
He's offering to fix a problem. How terrible.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure he is going to follow through with that "pledge". Publish his personal email and phone number so Flint residents can call him up.

Not to mention ... the problem isn't that various houses in Flint have "water contamination" issues ... it's that the entire city's water distribution network is f$&ed up.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
But there won't be "innovation", unlike his ridiculous claim to be designing a sub for the Thailand cave flood. Helping Flint is realistic and appreciated but isn't as sexy in his target sort of attention.

Yeah, I'm sure he is going to follow through with that "pledge". Publish his personal email and phone number so Flint residents can call him up.

Not to mention ... the problem isn't that various houses in Flint have "water contamination" issues ... it's that the entire city's water distribution network is f$&ed up.

Right, he's focusing on the little side rather than the big side. As usual.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2018, 11:20:19 PM »
I feel like most of the rest of the world has already solved this problem. Citizens pay taxes to the government which then takes care of things like providing citizens with clean water to their homes. In America, rich people fight to pay as little tax as possible, pay their workers as little as possible, accumulate obscene wealth, and then step in to "fix problems" like Flint's water crisis so they can be a hero. Why not just go back to feudalism at this point? I would happily pledge my loyalty to Lord Musk.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:31:41 PM by taestell »