PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati Enquirer  (Read 2284 times)

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
I think there's some confusion on what the author is saying.  My impression is that he isn't saying that positive streetcar articles were the Enquirer's goal to get clicks, but any article about the streetcar.  The same with Steven Leeper with 3CDC.  I think the author is saying he was a real @#$@#$, but any article with him or 3CDC was guaranteed to get views.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »
I think there's some confusion on what the author is saying.  My impression is that he isn't saying that positive streetcar articles were the Enquirer's goal to get clicks, but any article about the streetcar.  The same with Steven Leeper with 3CDC.  I think the author is saying he was a real @#$@#$, but any article with him or 3CDC was guaranteed to get views.

You might be right. I had to read this about 5 times after you said it to see what you're saying. A journalist should be clearer in what he says.

Characters and businessmen like Mayor Cranley and Bob Castellini were to be viewed with suspicion if not disdain. Anyone pushing for the Streetcar deserved to be heard with both ears and a smile. Steve Leeper at 3CDC was Satan. But hey, use them all — if you tag big names in an article, it means pageviews.

But then again, right after this sentence (the very next one) he says:

The Enquirer paradigm was powerfully subliminal: the rich and powerful are, by nature, evil. The poor and minorities are, by nature, good. The Left is right, the Right are bigots, and the barometer of morality rests on the desk of the Editorial team.

Which leads me to believe he was talking about progressive vs. conservative views the whole time. Is this just a stream of consciousness rant?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:31:39 AM by ryanlammi »

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
You might be right. I had to read this about 5 times after you said it to see what you're saying. A journalist should be clearer in what he says.

I agree.  The author does use quite a bit of flowery language which I don't even think he uses properly.  He must think it makes him clever and quirky when it really just makes him incomprehensible.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »

I agree.  The author does use quite a bit of flowery language which I don't even think he uses properly.  He must think it makes him clever and quirky when it really just makes him incomprehensible.

A lot of Vox-type articles jerk the reader around from one sentence to the next.  When I was a teenager I remember first noticing that style of writing in Rolling Stone features, but they do essentially the same thing in hour-long Dateline and 20/20 features.  Basically they introduce a situation for the first 10 minutes, then take the reader (or viewer) through a roller coaster where the heroes and villains switch places a few times. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #574 on: October 28, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
https://medium.com/@dwhorn88/an-open-letter-to-the-guy-who-figured-out-whats-wrong-with-my-newspaper-ceeda98ea470#.l1p9o99lw

Response from Dan Horn at the Enquirer

Dear Ben Liebing,

Thank you for explaining in your recent essay why my friends and colleagues lost their jobs this week. It was enlightening to learn they had it coming.

I didn’t think you could bring so much insight to this painful time after working here for only a few months last year, but you nailed it. The Cincinnati Enquirer’s problem is not its failure to adequately adapt to a digital world in which advertising revenue continues to decline and readers balk at paying for the online product. No. The problem is the men and women who work here are a bunch of liberal, elitist carpetbaggers who’d rather sip lattes and wax poetic about their moral superiority than go out and cover a community they secretly despise. As you put it, “most of the real writers have quit or been fired.” Those left behind are ruled by “servile timidity,” “political correctness” and a desire to attack a city they deem racist and backward. So this latest round of layoffs is no big deal. Just more hacks getting sacked.

How did I not see this sooner? You clearly paid closer attention during those months you spent in journalism than I have in my 27 years.

Continued....

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2016, 12:56:29 PM »
Fun (sarcastic) follow-up to the earlier post on Medium about what caused the layoffs at The Enquirer:
https://medium.com/@dwhorn88/an-open-letter-to-the-guy-who-figured-out-whats-wrong-with-my-newspaper-ceeda98ea470#.rkh6618t5

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #576 on: October 28, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Beat ya by 5 seconds

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #577 on: December 16, 2016, 03:34:04 AM »
You can get a year online subscription for less than a Chipotle Burrito.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #578 on: December 16, 2016, 07:14:35 AM »
You can get a year online subscription for less than a Chipotle Burrito.

When I was a paid subscriber, I was blocked from commenting on their articles.  Meanwhile fake facebook accounts that weren't subscribers were permitted to post. 

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #579 on: December 16, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »
I'm sure it will be coming, but Cleveland.com has hired people/outsourced people to moderate ALL comments. The first step was to block commenting on all crime articles (happened sometime last year, I think) and now this.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #580 on: December 16, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
It's simply a fact that The Enquirer's website is an absolute joke. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #581 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
Half the time the fake accounts trolling on the Enquirer's comment section are more interesting than the Enquirer's content.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #582 on: June 27, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Cincinnati Enquirer looking to sublease 75% of downtown office space
Jun 27, 2017, 2:32pm EDT
Tom Demeropolis
Senior Staff Reporter
Cincinnati Business Courier

Enquirer Media, publisher of the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper, is looking to sublease about three quarters of its downtown office space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/27/exclusive-cincinnati-enquirer-looking-to-sublease.html

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #583 on: June 27, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Cincinnati Enquirer looking to sublease 75% of downtown office space
Jun 27, 2017, 2:32pm EDT
Tom Demeropolis
Senior Staff Reporter
Cincinnati Business Courier

Enquirer Media, publisher of the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper, is looking to sublease about three quarters of its downtown office space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/27/exclusive-cincinnati-enquirer-looking-to-sublease.html

Well, they have already outsourced 3/4 of their news content so....

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #584 on: June 27, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
I can't believe they still had 109,000 square feet of leased space in that building. That place must feel like a ghost town.

Interestingly enough, at 109,000 square feet they have/had almost exactly 1 square foot of space per newspaper circulated daily.

Offline jim uber

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #585 on: December 11, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
I have very low expectations from the Enquirer, of course, but I just found this article:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/12/11/lacheys-bar-manager-shooting-search-justice-and-fair-trial/939240001/
sort of amazing. Am I just losing my bearings or is this an unusually terrible example of journalism?

The "journalist" Byron McCauley refers to the woman who got shot coming out of Lachey's bar as an anonymous "pretty blonde," uses sensationalism like "pow!" to refer to a gunshot, and touts over the rhine as "Cincinnati's most important party neighborhood." He asserts that the coming trial will receive a lot of attention because "... sadly, the simmering undercurrent of race." Oh and not just because an innocent person was shot in the face to end an argument?

I don't know what the point of the article even is, and I'm pretty sure McCauley doesn't either. I was just going to write this off as another example of poor journalism by an Enquirer intern, but McCauley is listed as being on the Editorial Board!

I just find this to be embarrassing. Why must Cincinnati be subjected to the lowest journalistic standards. I don't think it's hard to find people who write better or at least more objectively and intelligently. The Enquirer must be training their writers in this sort of style?

Frustrating.

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #586 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
^Ugh.

The main problem with an article like that is that it is presented as "news". If it were clearly presented as an opinion column, then it'd be less problematic.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #587 on: December 11, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
It's like something penned by Peter Bronson.  I thought he was a put-on until I by total chance saw him in public back around 2003 at an art exhibition.  He was completely bored and made a bunch of dumb comments to the people he was with. 

For pretty much my entire adult life I've always felt like Enquirer writers were writing about some imagined place, not the actual physical city as it objectively exists.