PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Uptown District Discussion  (Read 1648 times)

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
Re: Cincinnati: Uptown District Discussion
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
What goes on? I haven't seen cruising since the early 2000s. Is it like it was then?

Offline MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:43 AM »
^ In the wake of that, I noticed that sometime this week CPD rolled out those huge, very bright lights and placed them strategically all around Calhoun/McMillan. Today, I saw this announcement:

Street Closures

District 5 is utilizing Crowd Calming Measures south of the University of Cincinnati Campus on October 6 + 7, 2017.

Calhoun Street between Jefferson + Clifton Avenues will be closed from 12:00a - 4:00a both days. W. McMillan between Jefferson + Clifton Avenues will have No Parking 11p - 4a.

So they will be closing the same stretch of street again this weekend. That whole area has really become a sight to see on weekend nights. It has to be a huge headache for UC administrators. They've invested so much into those few blocks and on weekend nights the whole area is complete and utter bedlam. I can only imagine the phone calls these 18 year olds living in the fancy apartments overlooking this must be making to their moms, who in turn must be calling in complaints to UC on a near nonstop basis.
I had no idea that area was an issue, at least it is being addressed. Still a shame that the problem exists.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
Crews are building landscaped islands in the rebuilt MLK between I-75 and Dixmyth near The Forum Apartments.  Also, part of the completed bike path was ripped up and is going to be rebuilt.  Not sure what the problem was. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 01:33:09 AM »
My source tells me that an out-of-town owner has sent eviction notices to everyone in this building on Burnett.  Everyone needs to leave by January 1.  The building is going to be renovated and the rents doubled. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
^ I wonder if that means it will become student housing. I've heard that was a nice building when it first opened, I think it even has a pool. I know I've seen some old photos of it somewhere.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
^ I wonder if that means it will become student housing. I've heard that was a nice building when it first opened, I think it even has a pool. I know I've seen some old photos of it somewhere.
Indoor pool?

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Apparently there is or used to be a pool on the roof.  But when you look on google earth you can't see anything. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2017, 11:38:25 AM »
^You're right, these older aerial photos from the auditor show what appears to be a pool on the northwest corner of the roof. It looks like it was enclosed under skylights up until 2013 or so, when the skylights were closed up and a new roof was put on.

I'm thinking the old photos of this I've seen might have been in a book, maybe the Bicentennial Guide or one of those other old walking tour books.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
The guy I know who lives there who is getting booted says he's paying $450/mo for an efficiency.  I don't know what utilities are included.  He's moving to McMicken St. 

In related news, another guy I work with rents a house on Coy St. (quiet side street off of Straight).  Their rent is getting jacked from $1,100 to $1,600.  I happened to look on Craigslist last week out of curiosity and saw a lot of the mediocre houses around UC trying to get ridiculous rent.  I have the sense that even with all of the new apartment construction over the past five years demand hasn't quite been met.  And with the owners of homes and old apartment buildings raising their rent to close to the price the new buildings are charging, the decision to rent the new buildings is a lot easier for students with the means to do so. 

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
Trump doesn't want people getting Master's Degrees so the demand for the housing could soften soon.