Author Topic: Visualizing Density  (Read 492 times)

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Visualizing Density
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »
There are a number of threads on this site that have involved a discussion of density at one point or another.  The issue comes up quite a bit in the planning world and more often than not, receives a less-than-warm response from neighborhood advocates and residents already living in the neighborhood that is slated for a new development. 

One response to such issues, Visualizing Density, was created in 2002 and was updated again in 2004.  The report/presentation is available from the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and can be downloaded at http://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/workingpapers.asp where you can search for "Visualizing Density."  The text of the report is quite interesting, but there are also loads of photos (200+) that depict different levels of density in a clear and concise manner. 

If you choose to download, skip the 2002 files and go right to the 2004 files (four of them).  There's nothing from 2002 that you can't find in the 2004 files.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:34:09 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Visualizing Density
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »
Quick related trivia:  Lincoln Land Institute was endowed by a Cleveland industrialist (Lincoln Electric) so naturally it was set up in....Cambridge, MA.  Oh well.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »
I got your density right here...

@MLBcathedrals: Two @MLB ballparks in one shot; North Philadelphia. #Athletics Shibe Park (foreground) and the #Phillies Baker Bowl. http://t.co/jPWp8XveHE

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:42:44 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »
Lost Ballparks ‏@lostballparks  37m37 minutes ago
One of the original neighborhood parks, Cleveland played at League Park from 1891-1946.  (KJP: this view is looking north with East 66th along the left side of the ballpark. This appears to be shortly before League Park was demolished given the amount of structures already razed in the neighborhood.)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:42:18 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline UrbanSurfin

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Great finds! I never knew Baker Bowl and Shibe park were so close together. That picture is amazing -- the density is amazing.

Here's a thing I put together a few years ago for Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission, though it is intended as a statewide document. It was influenced by "Visualizing Density," though I had the idea before I ever saw it. http://www.morpc.org/pdf/morpc_density_brochure_CS3.pdf

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
I know this image has been posted on UO lots of times before, but when I read "visualizing density", this is the image that comes to mind. You can also see the old Crosley field at the top left of the image.  Heartbreaking to see what was lost.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:27:33 AM by edale »

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
Ugh why would you do that to us? I try to block that image out of my memory because it's too much to think of all that being gone and getting the suburban office park we have now in its place. What the hell were people thinking.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:29 AM »
Canít think of any American city that would put out a housing proposal as squarely radical as what Vancouver is saying here.

https://t.co/Ce9CvHeGRS