Author Topic: Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium  (Read 105052 times)

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium
« Reply #1530 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
The FC Cincinnati is building a brand new stadium in town. Our city has three major league teams now. This enhances the market for people moving to the area, becoming Cincinnatians, and doing what people do. This babble about historic buildings is silly. If you wanted to keep the damnable buildings you should have bought them. Then hired a few old ladies to do historic building tours and speak like they were from the old country. I bet the tourists from Europe and Asia would flock to see a guided tour of an "OTR near" home built in 1855. i can hardly wait to be the first in line. Dick's has a sale on tents this week. Come, join me.

People wonder why Cincinnati is unknown on the national stage.... this is why in spite of you guys having a huge stock of historic housing that is on par with several major us tourist destinations.   This stuff is valuable believe it or not!

Agreed - although I prefer Cleveland to Cincinnati (albeit a biased opinion ;) ) what Cincinnati has over Cleveland by leaps and bounds is preserved historic buildings. The rowhomes in Cincinnati are beautiful and allow for great density in up and coming areas like OTR.

Beyond that, high density neighborhoods allow for a more special, "English-style" soccer experience. What would be really cool would be if they could incorporate those homes into the facade of the stadium.

One of my best friends is a Clevelander. He loves visiting me in Cincinnati. Despite Cleveland and Cincinnati being almost identically sized cities he says the density and historic fabric of OTR makes Cincinnati feel a lot bigger than it is. Imagine if we had preserved our other neighborhoods.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1531 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1532 on: September 16, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
This is interesting. the MLS is not a true ML Sport.  Last year In 2017, the average regular season home attendance of the Cincinnati Reds was 22,677. And this year 2018 the average FC Cincinnati attendance is over 25,000. and they play their matches on a rented field.

If you don't want to live across the street from a soccer stadium, maybe you shouldn't purchase a home there. Buy yourself a home in westchester or loveland.

Maybe the reason Cincinnati is not on the national scene is that it has stagnant growth. Atlanta, Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Phoneix are just a few of the places people are moving. AC, small amount of snow, short winters, long summers.

In order to make cincy viable again, maybe you need to tear down a few old buildings and bring major leagues sports to town.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1533 on: September 16, 2018, 05:46:13 PM »
People move to cities because of job opportunities.  Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, Las Vegas, and Austin are doing just fine attracting people without much (or any) major-league sports.  Nashville, Charlotte, Houston, and San Antonio also aren't really any great shakes sports-wise.  It's a nice-to-have secondary consideration, but it's no driver.  We shouldn't be doubling down on something that's of questionable value.  Like major league soccer is going to be "the one" that finally tips the scale?  Come on. 

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1534 on: September 16, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
i didn't say any of those things, but thanks for keeping all your comments negative. Lets make liberty a cow path again. 

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #1535 on: September 16, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
i didn't say any of those things, but thanks for keeping all your comments negative. Lets make liberty a cow path again. 

You have proven over and over with your comments that you donít have anything constructive or intelligent to offer the conversaction.  Nothing but angry, condescending and uninformed comments, really.

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1536 on: September 16, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »
on the contrary, I have suggested a number of improvements to many threads. Like tear down old useless buildings. And, build beautiful new ones. you seem to just like to argue. thats okay we all have opinions. you see this is how it works, you make a statement about what you think and then someone else gets to say what they think. what a concept. You seem to think that if i disagree with what you think, that is somehow useless. I just see you as uninformed. 

Offline LAW 21

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1537 on: September 17, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
This is interesting. the MLS is not a true ML Sport.  Last year In 2017, the average regular season home attendance of the Cincinnati Reds was 22,677. And this year 2018 the average FC Cincinnati attendance is over 25,000. and they play their matches on a rented field.

If you don't want to live across the street from a soccer stadium, maybe you shouldn't purchase a home there. Buy yourself a home in westchester or loveland.

Maybe the reason Cincinnati is not on the national scene is that it has stagnant growth. Atlanta, Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Phoneix are just a few of the places people are moving. AC, small amount of snow, short winters, long summers.

In order to make cincy viable again, maybe you need to tear down a few old buildings and bring major leagues sports to town.

People like to make the FC Cincinnati/Reds comparison, but it doesn't really hold water.

1. The Reds are historically bad.  They haven't had this many losses for consecutive seasons since the 1930s.

2. The Reds play 81 home games.  This year FC Cincinnati plays 20.

3. FC Cincinnati is still a new thing and is on the verge of joining MLS.  Plus they are a winning team right now.

4. The last time the Reds made the playoffs, average attendance was over 31,000.  Tickets on average are much more expensive than for a FC Cincinnati game. 

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1538 on: September 17, 2018, 03:16:56 AM »
on the contrary, I have suggested a number of improvements to many threads. Like tear down old useless buildings. And, build beautiful new ones. you seem to just like to argue. thats okay we all have opinions. you see this is how it works, you make a statement about what you think and then someone else gets to say what they think. what a concept. You seem to think that if i disagree with what you think, that is somehow useless. I just see you as uninformed. 

You're pretty bad at trolling.  You're too obvious, so it's not getting anyone worked up. 

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1539 on: September 17, 2018, 03:20:23 AM »

You're pretty bad at trolling.  You're too obvious, so it's not getting anyone worked up. 

i consider who will be reading my posts. good copy is written for a sixth grade reading level.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:56:51 AM by RJohnson »

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1540 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
I think most people here were for FCC in the West End and were happy to hear they wanted to be a part of the urban core for the same reasons many of us here like being in the urban core. The entertainment options, the feel of the dense built environment, the walkability options, ect. I knew things would need to be torn down to accommodate a large stadium, some of them old but that is what happens when progress happens and a big new neighbor moves in. Where FCC is going off the rails in my opinion is by now adopting a more suburban mindset in all the latest press with their desire to have a large campus under their control and seemingly built to capture and cater to people driving into and out of the neighborhood. Im not wanting to revert back to Fur trappers & Indian Mounds down there but I would also prefer not to have a suburban 'bulldoze it all to make it easier for cars' layout either. I think that most people on this site for URBAN appreciation are more towards that range and are expressing  opinions with that as a general guideline.  People here still disagree though, and do it quite often but the disagreements are not usually followed by a juvenile 'I guess you would rather have ye olde bell ringers and tinsmiths and town criers who call out the news about how the new horse drawn trams are going to ruin life for all of the citizens who would prefer the status quo of walking thru horse filth in their Sunday best pantaloons' level of rebuttal. All are welcome, everyone sees things differently but people react better when you turn down the intensity and respond in kind vs the level 11 responses to level 2 disagreements. That kind of thing is what trolls do who just want a reaction and not a discussion.

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1541 on: September 17, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
Where are these FC press releases about wanting "a large campus under their control and seemingly built to capture and cater to people driving into and out of the neighborhood?"  It seems like some people on here are jumping to conclusions before anything is even announced. 

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1542 on: September 17, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
Where FCC is going off the rails in my opinion is by now adopting a more suburban mindset in all the latest press with their desire to have a large campus under their control and seemingly built to capture and cater to people driving into and out of the neighborhood. Im not wanting to revert back to Fur trappers & Indian Mounds down there but I would also prefer not to have a suburban 'bulldoze it all to make it easier for cars' layout either.
We haven't seen an updated site plan yet... so we don't know yet what will happen to the area between the stadium and Liberty. What will be bulldozed, where will structured parking go, where will there be surface parking, what will infill look like? Those are all key questions. It doesn't take a PhD in urban planning to realize they'd be squandering an opportunity if they ended up with a "suburban campus" feel. I hope and believe (until proven otherwise) that they want to be in the West End because they recognize the value of the existing historic, urban fabric. I know I might be proven wrong. But until we see the site plan, I'm going to take them at their word that the reason they preferred the West End over Oakley and Newport is because they want to respect the historic architecture and be integrated to the surrounding neighborhood, and if that's true, their site plan should reflect that. We'll see as the site plan evolves and becomes public, but I don't take it necessarily as a bad sign that they're acquiring properties to the north of the stadium.

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1543 on: September 17, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
^^^^ All true, my fingers are crossed as well. Biggest worry I was alluding to was the possible parking garage at the corner of Liberty & Central. Would really be nice if that was not on the most prominent corner or if it is that it would be a quality looking thing (if that is possible with a modern parking deck style garage).

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1544 on: September 17, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »

MLS has higher attendance numbers than NBA and NHL so I don't know what you mean by not major league.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/207458/per-game-attendance-of-major-us-sports-leagues/

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1545 on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
Councilwoman Tamaya Denard just tweeted that FC Cincinnati paid Tri-State Wholesale Building Supplies $20 million for their property at the corner of Liberty & Central.  That seems absurdly high...the actual price paid was likely closer to $2 million than $20 million. 

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1546 on: September 18, 2018, 12:59:04 AM »
This article says $25 million:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/09/17/fc-cincinnati-parkifc-cincinnati-parking-garage-property-limbong-garage-property-limbo/1336973002/

And of course that scumbag Chris Smitherman got a concrete contract for his brother's concrete company, which he'll no doubt get a kickback from. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1547 on: September 18, 2018, 09:28:28 AM »
^ At $25 million it sounds like FC is paying Tri-State Wholesale Building Supplies not what their existing building is worth, but what it would cost to build their new building. They probably said they aren't moving unless FC gives them a new building, and that's the price they arrived at.

Offline oakiehigh

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1548 on: September 18, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
^^^^ All true, my fingers are crossed as well. Biggest worry I was alluding to was the possible parking garage at the corner of Liberty & Central. Would really be nice if that was not on the most prominent corner or if it is that it would be a quality looking thing (if that is possible with a modern parking deck style garage).

It would be really nice if they bury the parking or at very least place it in the center of the block similar to the Mercer Parking Garage and surround it with residential/commercial etc.   

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1549 on: September 18, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »

MLS has higher attendance numbers than NBA and NHL so I don't know what you mean by not major league.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/207458/per-game-attendance-of-major-us-sports-leagues/

there are certain people on this thread that implied that the MLS isn't a true major league team, i.e., that it won't help the city attract businesses, people, popularity. I was referring to those comments. I on the other hand, think the MLS is a great coup for the city. I want the FCC to build where they are building. I want the team to be a great success. I want the city to be vibrant and alive. I want the corner of Liberty and Central Parkway to develop and change. I am not the person who tells others what to think and say. Please have at it. Its not like any of these comments are going to change people with money. As far as paying $20 Mil for that concrete bunker, that is FCCs problem and none of Urban Ohio's concern. If you think this comment is too hyperbolic, i will attempt to tone my language down another notch. I will champion the cause for dull grey midwesterners to stay safe in their myth.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #1550 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »
Council members balk at break for company trying to move out of FC Cincinnati stadium site

Cincinnati City Council members objected Monday to selling for $1 a piece of city-owned land in Lower Price Hill so that Tri-State Wholesale Building Supplies can move from the site of FC Cincinnatiís planned stadium and build a new headquarters.

In addition to the land sale, the city proposed abating $1.4 million in property taxes for the $6.1 million headquarters project, which would go on the former Queen City Barrel site. That Evans Street location is now known as MetroWest Commerce Park, a brownfield the city largely has cleaned up to enable its reuse.

Councilman Chris Seelbach said the company is going to be paid $25 million by FC Cincinnati for its current location at 1550 Central Ave., and the city should sell the MetroWest land at fair market value, which is approximately $176,000. Tri-State Wholesale Building Supplies also will spend nearly $690,000 on environmental controls and cleanup, which the city administration argued made the land giveaway worth it. The Hamilton County auditor has assessed the 1550 Central Ave. property at nearly $3 million.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/09/18/council-members-balk-at-break-for-company-trying.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1551 on: September 18, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
I believe that the Tri-State Wholesale property includes the large grass field shown here:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/cincinnati+ballet/@39.1122503,-84.5220085,285m/data=!3m1!1e3

So if the land critical to the stadium site plan is part of the deal, then the sky-high $25 million price makes a bit more sense.  But I am still shocked by the figure, and it is far more than is necessary to build a replacement 100,000 sq foot light industrial building.  Such a building can easily be built for $5 million or far less, and a circa-1980s warehouse of that type can be purchased for around $3 million. 

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1552 on: September 18, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is misleading. MLS attendance is higher than the NBA and NHL, but that's mostly due to the restrictions of hockey rinks and basketball courts - if it were practical to build 35k seat NHL/NBA arenas, they would certainly exist. Additionally, there is the issue of ticket prices. The average MLS ticket is ~$40, while the NHL and NBA are at least double that in most cases.

There's also TV ratings. MLS ratings are awful. Like 250k per match awful. That's worse than just about everything else broadcast by ESPN. If MLS and USMNT matches weren't sold as a bundle, the matches would be shown on CBS Sports Net or maybe even broadcast over YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:19:22 PM by MikeInCanton »

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1553 on: September 18, 2018, 07:00:31 PM »
I believe that the Tri-State Wholesale property includes the large grass field shown here:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/cincinnati+ballet/@39.1122503,-84.5220085,285m/data=!3m1!1e3

So if the land critical to the stadium site plan is part of the deal, then the sky-high $25 million price makes a bit more sense.  But I am still shocked by the figure, and it is far more than is necessary to build a replacement 100,000 sq foot light industrial building.  Such a building can easily be built for $5 million or far less, and a circa-1980s warehouse of that type can be purchased for around $3 million.

location, location, location hope im not too abrasive.

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1554 on: September 18, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is misleading. MLS attendance is higher than the NBA and NHL, but that's mostly due to the restrictions of hockey rinks and basketball courts - if it were practical to build 35k seat NHL/NBA arenas, they would certainly exist. Additionally, there is the issue of ticket prices. The average MLS ticket is ~$40, while the NHL and NBA are at least double that in most cases.

There's also TV ratings. MLS ratings are awful. Like 250k per match awful. That's worse than just about everything else broadcast by ESPN. If MLS and USMNT matches weren't sold as a bundle, the matches would be shown on CBS Sports Net or maybe even broadcast over YouTube.

so what you are saying is that Syracuse should not play basketball in their covered arena and the ncaa tourament should not have been played in Pheonix. others disagree. Just because it cost much less to attend a MLS match doesnt make it any less exciting. I will enjoy more nights out at $40 than than I would at $80, and so will many other families. I have enjoyed two years of soccer on local tv and hope it continues.

Offline MikeInCanton

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1555 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »

so what you are saying is that Syracuse should not play basketball in their covered arena and the ncaa tourament should not have been played in Pheonix. others disagree. Just because it cost much less to attend a MLS match doesnt make it any less exciting. I will enjoy more nights out at $40 than than I would at $80, and so will many other families. I have enjoyed two years of soccer on local tv and hope it continues.

Obviously, I was talking about purpose-built basketball and hockey arenas. The Carrier Dome, U. of Phoenix Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, etc. are football stadiums that have a basketball configuration; they are not optimized for basketball or hockey, unlike most modern arenas.

The level of excitement one may or may not experience is completely irrelevant.

Offline cincydave8

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1556 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »

MLS ratings are obviously well below the other major sports but MLS ratings are growing and have been. The average TV ratings:
2018: 316K (so far)
2017: 258K
2016: 248K
2015: 229K
2014: 200K
2013: 185K
2012: 164K
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_on_television#MLS_Cable_Viewership_Average
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:32:53 AM by cincydave8 »

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1557 on: September 19, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

The first one is part of the reason why Cincinnati is not known on the national scene.   Its supposedly useless old buildings are extrodinary in terms of most american cities, to the point that people would actually have a desire to visit Cincinnati if they knew about them and if more locals gave a darn about them...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:47:53 PM by neilworms »

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1559 on: September 20, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

The first one is part of the reason why Cincinnati is not known on the national scene.   Its supposedly useless old buildings are extrodinary in terms of most american cities, to the point that people would actually have a desire to visit Cincinnati if they knew about them and if more locals gave a darn about them...

OTR is a lovely place and will continue to get better. It is an investment in the future. When an entire area of the city has been neglected by city government, county government, exodus to the suburbs and overall neglect, buildings become useless because they cost too much to bring up to code, replace and entice people to develop the area. The city was smart to spend the money on the trolley system because it brought attention to OTR. Now we are building a new MLS stadium and developing adjacent areas. The stadium is also an investment for the future. My guess is more people will discover OTR because of the MLS and the streetcar system than any ad campaign. Kids will remember the ride on the streetcar attending a soccer match walking thru the "old town". They will become adults and many will consider moving to the city because of their positive memories. The Art Academy, School for Performing Arts, the Shakespeare theatre, the CSO, Washington Park and Findley Market are all parts of the bigger whole. All of these developments announce to the general public that OTR is a place to visit or be.