Author Topic: U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)  (Read 18190 times)

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
^ I also feel that the denial of finance/economic facts on the left is actually a rather fringe belief.  The GOP is  trying to convince people that HRD was a puppet of Wall Street and a communist.  It doesn't really make sense.  Many democrats are center to center-right on fiscal issues.  That's how I view myself.  I believe that the market system is the most efficient system to deal with widgets but I also understand that some things belong in the "commons" because these goods need to be distributed by need rather than efficiency. 

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
^ As a Conservative with an advanced degree, it was pretty clear that we became "anti-intellectual" because certain facts hurt our platform. Climate data, et al. have now thrust scientists into politics in a way not seen since the Scopes Monkey Trials or Galileo - both of which situations proved science to be the more reliable.

The same exists from the left in some aspects of finance, but the denial of fact is significantly more egregious from my side of the aisle.

Yes I forgot to mention climate change, that's probably the biggest one for the hard scientists like my brother.

I also see what you are saying about the left and finance - as a Dem with an accounting degree, sometimes it seems that far-left ppl feel that if they just want it hard enough, they can overcome financial realities.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Yes I forgot to mention climate change, that's probably the biggest one for the hard scientists like my brother.

I also see what you are saying about the left and finance - as a Dem with an accounting degree, sometimes it seems that far-left ppl feel that if they just want it hard enough, they can overcome financial realities.

Lol yes, until this bankruptcy-addicted POTUS and spineless Congress, I used to love that the GOP would focus on reducing the deficit.

I still maintain that it's our biggest national security threat, but hey, "HOW DARE YOU CUT SPENDING!?" - Bernie Sanders and Trump voters at the same time not realizing the irony.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »
^^ I mean the GOP are the ones trying to convince everyone that these tax cuts will pay for themselves...  Talk about fiscal illiteracy.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
^ As a Conservative with an advanced degree, it was pretty clear that we became "anti-intellectual" because certain facts hurt our platform. Climate data, et al. have now thrust scientists into politics in a way not seen since the Scopes Monkey Trials or Galileo - both of which situations proved science to be the more reliable.

I'm also a conservative with an advanced degree, but I come down on the opposite side of the climate science issue.  The evidence of the extreme politicization of that field is too strong.  Suppression of contrary findings, deliberate defunding and blacklisting from publication of research even intended to seek contrary findings, deletion of e-mails to avoid public records requests, inexplicable corruption of raw data, methodology deliberately designed to hide inconvenient data points or "normalize" them out of existence, etc.  Again, though, this is far afield from Moore.  I very much doubt that any significant amount of the support or opposition to him is motivated by his likely defense of Scott Pruitt at the EPA (defense which I'm just assuming based on his other positions and haven't even investigated for one acarpous second).

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »
so when is this actual vote?  I'm anxious for this $hit show to be over...

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
^ It is on this coming Tuesday.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
During the Weinstein saga - Republicans were all over the Dems to return money that he donated.  Shouldn't Republicans no have to return all money that the received from the RNC since they are supporting a pedophile?  Or is there a different standards for the "family Values" party.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Can proudly say that I deleted all of my accounts and information from a couple of the GOP funds that I've donated to in the past.

Their supply of cash to Moore says either:

1. We don't believe the women, or
2. We do but who cares.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
Can proudly say that I deleted all of my accounts and information from a couple of the GOP funds that I've donated to in the past.

Their supply of cash to Moore says either:

1. We don't believe the women, or
2. We do but who cares.

It's #2.  What better way to express outrage at the outrage (without exposing yourself to further outrage).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:08:39 AM by 327 »

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
21 days ago the RNC said that they believed the women.  What has transpired since then to make them believe that they are lying and the Moore is being honest.  I just can't help to wonder how much screaming would be going on if the DNC did this.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
21 days ago the RNC said that they believed the women.  What has transpired since then to make them believe that they are lying and the Moore is being honest.  I just can't help to wonder how much screaming would be going on if the DNC did this.

Nothing.  They just decided they'd rather have his vote than deal with losing a seat to Jones.  I assume all the threats of "We'll expel him if he's elected" was just for show (surprise!) and they don't care now.

Fwiw, Jeff Flake donated $100 to Doug Jones (supposedly - he wrote the check and posted a pic on Twitter).  Romney is obviously anti-Moore.  Ivanka was?  But just about everyone else has flipped, including Ryan, McConnell, and Trump.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
Lol yes, until this bankruptcy-addicted POTUS and spineless Congress, I used to love that the GOP would focus on reducing the deficit.

You mean like the Reagan tax cuts that added to the deficit or the Bush tax cuts that exploded the deficit?

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »

You mean like the Reagan tax cuts that added to the deficit or the Bush tax cuts that exploded the deficit?

The guy is a turd right now, but Newt Gingrich worked brilliantly with President Clinton to reduce spending and compromised on the top tax brackets. GOP led legislatures have done a very good job at this, Exec's not always the same.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
Worth remembering that as Democratic women of the Senate rightfully stand up to call on Al Franken to resign, RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel is funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars to child molester Roy Moore.
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/938450167451324418

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
You earned this image, GOP

"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/doug-jones-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-away-from-a-win-in-alabama/

Senate races - especially special elections - are extremely hard to predict.  Jones and Moore are essentially within the "margin of error" right now.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/938599893496684544

What Roy Moore's spox couldn't answer on @ac360
- whether Moore thinks Obama was born in US
- whether he thinks Muslims should be in Congress
- whether Moore thinks homosexuality should be outlawed
- whether 9/11 happened bc US distanced itself from God

Oh, good.

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
Roy Moore will win this race.  I'm not even convinced that it's going to be close.  The discrepancy between the polling average and the actual result usually favors the morally repugnant candidate.  People are ashamed to say out loud that they will be voting for Roy Moore, but when they are in the privacy of that voting both they will undoubtedly pull the lever for Moore.  This bias was on full display in the 2016 presidential election.

The only chance Doug Jones has is massive voter turnout.  Is he really that inspiring?

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
^ I'm not sure if high turnout helps Jones or not.  Since the majority of voters are Republicans are a low turnout could signal not enthusiasm for Moore.  I could be wrong though.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
So will the Senate seat Roy Moore after he wins? 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
Too many gullible idiots...

There's actually a video of Roy Moore in 1997 arguing that kids commit drive-by shooting because they are taught evolution in school: "They're acting like animals because we've taught them they come from animals." https://t.co/YoHZXKfpAl
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
I'm telling ya. We should have let The South go its own twisted way...

Moore to an African American asking when he last thought America was “great”: “I think it was great at the time when families were united. Even though we had slavery, they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-alabama-senate-runoff-20170921-story.html

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »
I'm telling ya. We should have let The South go its own twisted way...

Moore to an African American asking when he last thought America was “great”: “I think it was great at the time when families were united. Even though we had slavery, they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-alabama-senate-runoff-20170921-story.html

Cannot tell you how frightening it is that this man was a state's highest member of the Judiciary.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
^ I mean... It is Alabama though.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
The number of people in Alabama who do not believe these allegations likely just increased significantly. This was really the only thing resembling "evidence" that was put forth, and it now appears that it's not entirely authentic:

Roy Moore accuser alters story on yearbook signing, to hold press conference

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/roy_moore_accuser_alters_story.html#incart_river_index

Beverly Young Nelson, the former Gadsden waitress who presented her high school yearbook she said was signed by Roy Moore, altered the story she originally told regarding the yearbook signature.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
^ Big deal.  She put the date and location on it. It was obvious that he didn't write that part.

How many times has Moore changed his story now?

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
The number of people in Alabama who do not believe these allegations likely just increased significantly. This was really the only thing resembling "evidence" that was put forth, and it now appears that it's not entirely authentic:

Roy Moore accuser alters story on yearbook signing, to hold press conference

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/roy_moore_accuser_alters_story.html#incart_river_index

Beverly Young Nelson, the former Gadsden waitress who presented her high school yearbook she said was signed by Roy Moore, altered the story she originally told regarding the yearbook signature.

I don't care 2 flying f**ks about this woman's yearbook.  The man was twice removed from the AL Supreme Court, and was BANNED FROM A SHOPPING MALL.   How many of your friends were banned from malls after the age of 18.....?   

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
He admitted to Sean Hannity they he dated teenage girls with their mom's permission.  There is a reason this guy won't do any real interviews, debates or testify under oath. Being a pedophile is not even the worst thing about him.  That says a lot.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
^ Then he denied it two weeks later, with no backlash from Hannity & Co.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
And this was after Hannity gave him 24 hours to come up with a credible defense, which he didn't.  The GOP, with few exceptions, is showing a lack of courage when they can't even stand up to a pedophile.