PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Crazy conspiracy theories  (Read 1258 times)

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Crazy conspiracy theories
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
I actually remember those insanely crappy commercials she would do for Schott Buick, in the late 90s. Seriously, for a woman with so much money, the production quality on those commercials were absolutely horrible. Watching those commercials, I had no idea she was as rich as she was. She was probably just a tight-wad, but the commercials denoted a desperate, low budget attempt to sell Buicks in Norwood (even in the 90's, no one bought Buicks.) There was some scandal with that too, right? She was fudging sales and hiding a bunch of Buicks somewhere...maybe at her estate in Indian Hill? I can't remember the details at all and I was only a kid anyway. For better or worse (worse) she's a Cincinnati legend, that's for sure.

I also remember a really funny article in the early-mid 2000s from the Enquirer after she deceased and her house went up for sale. The journalist who wrote the article, took a tour of the house for sale and was describing the dog hair that managed to get all over everything, pet p!ss stains embedded in the hardwood and everything else and cigarette smoke which tends to linger in the house for a while and causes the walls to stain with such chronic smoking. It was a really intriguing (and hilarious) article because although we've all been in a house like that, said journalist was describing a 40 room mansion that truly had a lot of character - in Indian Hill, whose owner also happened to be filthy rich and recently owned the Cincinnati Reds.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:26:35 PM by David »

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
On the local level, sometimes commercials are done in a cheesy manner to increase retention. In fact, some of the best remembered ads of the '90s are Mentos ones.

Of course pill and medical class action lawsuit ads have ruined all entertainment value from commercials.

Also Buicks do sell and always have. Old ladies DO NOT want to deal with breakdowns and car repairs so they make sure to have a new Buick every 3 years. Sure they could buy a new Honda every 6 years but where's the fun in that? Sounds like something someone who lives in Dublin would do. Old ladies get treated like royalty at car dealerships. They always qualify and don't throw tantrums all the time like hillbillies and other people with crappy financial backgrounds do. And if another old lady like Schott owns the place... the Ricart and Wyler families look like trustworthy people but another old lady owning a Buick dealer? Beyond perfect.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »
I actually remember those insanely crappy commercials she would do for Schott Buick, in the late 90s. Seriously, for a woman with so much money, the production quality on those commercials were absolutely horrible. Watching those commercials, I had no idea she was as rich as she was. She was probably just a tight-wad, but the commercials denoted a desperate, low budget attempt to sell Buicks in Norwood (even in the 90's, no one bought Buicks.) There was some scandal with that too, right? She was fudging sales and hiding a bunch of Buicks somewhere...maybe at her estate in Indian Hill? I can't remember the details at all and I was only a kid anyway. For better or worse (worse) she's a Cincinnati legend, that's for sure.

I also remember a really funny article in the early-mid 2000s from the Enquirer after she deceased and her house went up for sale. The journalist who wrote the article, took a tour of the house for sale and was describing the dog hair that managed to get all over everything, pet p!ss stains embedded in the hardwood and everything else and cigarette smoke which tends to linger in the house for a while and causes the walls to stain with such chronic smoking. It was a really intriguing (and hilarious) article because although we've all been in a house like that, said journalist was describing a 40 room mansion that truly had a lot of character - in Indian Hill, whose owner also happened to be filthy rich and recently owned the Cincinnati Reds.

She personally bought the cars so that the dealership would meet its annual sales quota.  They parked 30-40 cars out on the lawn of her mansion. 

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
I'm not sure if it's really about quotas rather than being able to pay off the "floor plan" where the automaker loans the dealer the cars in the hope that the dealer can sell them.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
On the local level, sometimes commercials are done in a cheesy manner to increase retention. In fact, some of the best remembered ads of the '90s are Mentos ones.

You had to post the old Mentos commercial? That's one of the catchiest jingles of all time; I can't get I out of my head, now, ever since I woke up. Thanks.

It doesn't matter what comes, fresh goes better in life, with Mentos fresh and full of life!
Nothing gets to you, staying fresh staying cool, with Mentos, fresh and full of life!
Fresh goes better (Mentos freshness,) fresh goes better with Mentos, fresh and full of liiiiife!

Offline Bosco4789

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
The Bit*h wore a swastika armband and was very complimentary to Hitler; she knew what she was doing.

She never wore a swastika armband.  It was seen in her home.  Many people had collections of WWII items.  Many famous Americans were fully supportive of Hitler's views before the war, most notably Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford, and Joseph Kennedy.

Yes, she was foolish for the things she said, but she came from a different time.  Probably no different than grandparents or great grandparents of all of us. Yes, she was very eccentric, but she made a name for herself in the MANLY auto industry by breaking the glass ceiling.  Something that one would think would be looked highly upon.

She was a very benevolent person, giving a lot of money to the arts, education, and the city.  She maintained low prices at the ballpark so that the average fan could afford to attend.

What does someone have to do to look good in your eyes?  What evidence do you have that she is what you said?  You have no idea.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
The Bit*h wore a swastika armband and was very complimentary to Hitler; she knew what she was doing.

She never wore a swastika armband.  It was seen in her home.  Many people had collections of WWII items.  Many famous Americans were fully supportive of Hitler's views before the war, most notably Charles Lindbergh, Henry Ford, and Joseph Kennedy.

Yes, she was foolish for the things she said, but she came from a different time.  Probably no different than grandparents or great grandparents of all of us. Yes, she was very eccentric, but she made a name for herself in the MANLY auto industry by breaking the glass ceiling.  Something that one would think would be looked highly upon.

She was a very benevolent person, giving a lot of money to the arts, education, and the city.  She maintained low prices at the ballpark so that the average fan could afford to attend.

What does someone have to do to look good in your eyes?  What evidence do you have that she is what you said?  You have no idea.

She knew better.  The comment "million-dollar n!&&ers" alone would tell you that.  Let alone...

I would never hire another n!gger. I'd rather have a trained monkey working for me than a n!gger
only fruits wear earrings...I was raised to believe that men wearing earrings are fruity.

...let alone the antisemitism, and so forth.

There is no amount of money or "giving money to the arts" to erase ignorance.  Just because Hitler lead to the construction of dams, autobahns, railroads, and civic buildings to better Germany doesn't negate the fact that he's still, ya know, Hitler.  Marge Schott is a stain in Cincinnati's history.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »
It's no shock to me that the anti-PC crowd can explain away this lady's racism.  It should be no shock what is at the heart of all the anti-PC talk anyway. 

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »

I think it's annoying when ultra-rich people like her donate all their money to institutions that already have multi-billion dollar endowments and are known money-making machines. UC is the last place I would donate money to. My tuition was far beyond what Ohio capped on state universities, due to loop holes and their weird hidden fees ("Campus recreation fee," "Information Technology fee," etc. These fees were hundreds of dollars per quarter. They put us up in these crap (mandatory) dorms that were over $1000 a month to live in a dumpy quad while rent was $300 for a 1 bdroom a block away. I was on the expensive-a$$ meal plan (which I think might have also been somehow made mandatory) and the food on campus was absolute garbage. I remember the cooks who appeared to be right out of prison, were all rude as hell and sexually harassed the college girls all day long but no one ever did anything about that. So anyway, I was being billed for all this ridiculous stuff on top of the state's max tuition cap. Meanwhile, the president was making 7 figures and flying around in a private helicopter or jet. UC was absolute BS.

Cincinnati has a big poverty issue, even in the white community - in places like Lower Price Hill and Sedamsville. Huuuge disparities between the communities. If I were Marge Schott rich, I'd be putting my money directly where it helps people in need. Especially kids who can't really control the kind of upbringing they have. Like I said, I wouldn't label her a bad person, overall, though. I just think philanthropical allocations like those are a little suspect or misguided to say the least. Especially if she loved kids so much.

As for making Reds tickets cheap, was that ever really an issue? When I lived in the 'Nati, you couldn't give Reds tickets away! I'm not even joking. When I was a teenager in Cincy, I acquired way more Reds tickets than I knew what to do with. This was up into the 2000s when I believe Carl Lindner was owner. People would just give them to me because they were given to them through their company and they didn't feel like going. They were barely worth the paper they were printed on. I thought I could sell them and put some money in my pocket but found out no one else wanted them either. I ended up selling excess tickets to scalpers outside, when I'd go to games and scalpers never offered me more than $2-3 per ticket. Half the stadium would leave during the 7th inning to beat traffic downtown and I'd try to move down to a better seat after they all started leaving but the stadium hired a huge team of senior citizens to yell at and harass whippersnappers like myself until we went back to our original seat.

It was really a depressing time to live in Cincinnati. Almost everyone I knew, hated Cincinnati. There were so many tales about the WASPs and political dynasties that ran the town. The race riots happened while I was there. Upwards of a billion dollars were about to be spent on new stadiums for mediocre teams (where The Banks had been stalled for like a decade) after at least one of the franchise owners threatened to move to another city. I hated Bill Cunningham (he was almost like a local Alex Jones the way he'd rile up his base with hate) but he was the voice for a LOT of people and they all thought Cincinnati was the next Detroit. I'd always hear that (fake) Mark Twain quote about how when the world ends, he's going to Cincinnati because they're 10 years behind on everything. Or "If you can make it in Cincinnati, you can make it anywhere." I'd hear all the f-ked up stories about folks like Lindner and Schott all the time. There was very little civic pride and if people were emotionally-engaged with their city, they were negative emotions. Yet, as someone from Columbus, I thought the city was so cool. It was so gritty, urban and had its own, unique flavor. It had so much history and so much culture that I thought everyone was taking for granted. I think that dark period Cincinnati experienced for a long time is the reason why I started caring about local politics and became interested in urban planning.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:14:49 AM by David »

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »

She knew better.  The comment "million-dollar n!&&ers" alone would tell you that.  Let alone...

I would never hire another n!gger. I'd rather have a trained monkey working for me than a n!gger
only fruits wear earrings...I was raised to believe that men wearing earrings are fruity.

...let alone the antisemitism, and so forth.

There is no amount of money or "giving money to the arts" to erase ignorance.  Just because Hitler lead to the construction of dams, autobahns, railroads, and civic buildings to better Germany doesn't negate the fact that he's still, ya know, Hitler.  Marge Schott is a stain in Cincinnati's history.

D@@@MMMMMNNN. She said all that?!

I hate to say it but I encountered a lot of older people like her in Cincinnati. Cincinnati was crazy. Black and white people in Cincy seemed particularly racist and homophobic to me. I grew up in Columbus where people didn't have those kinds of attitudes so much and even my hillbilly great grandma (who was EXTREMELY anti-PC and always spoke exactly what was on her mind) never once said the N word. Racism was the biggest culture shock for me when I moved to Cincinnati. I just couldn't believe how big of a deal it was; I had never seen anything like it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:26:01 AM by David »

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »
^ yeah the west and east sides of Columbus are Getalong Gang for sure.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »

The things she was caught saying didn't align with the things she actually did... given that she employed plenty of people of all skin colors and from all walks of life. Her teams were some of the most ethnically diverse in baseball. As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words, which is why Marge will always be held in high regard down here in Cincy. It's too easy to judge someone based on a few quotes, it's harder to take their actions into consideration.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
^ yeah the west and east sides of Columbus are Getalong Gang for sure.

Don't forget Obetz!
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

The things she was caught saying didn't align with the things she actually did... given that she employed plenty of people of all skin colors and from all walks of life.

So did slave owners and Strom Thurmond...and pretty much any wealthy white family in the South before 1970.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
^ I heard she had a black friend too...

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

I think it's annoying when ultra-rich people like her donate all their money to institutions that already have multi-billion dollar endowments and are known money-making machines.

I hate to take this thread off topic too much, but this drives me insane! I know someone, though not ultra-rich, is worth several million dollars. She basically gives pittances, relative to her income and wealth, to non-profit organizations, but never to charities that benefit homeless people or children in poverty, etc. Sorry, I just had to vent!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:37:54 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
^ I heard she had a black friend too...

And she loves the gays!

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »

I think it's annoying when ultra-rich people like her donate all their money to institutions that already have multi-billion dollar endowments and are known money-making machines.

I hate to take this thread off topic too much, but this drives me insane! I know someone, though not ultra-rich, is worth several million dollars. She basically gives pittances, relative to her income and wealth, to non-profit organizations, but never to charities that benefit homeless people or children in poverty, etc. Sorry, I just had to vent!

There is a circa-1965 photo of Marge and her husband in the lobby of the Ronald McDonald House next to Cincinnati Children's.  It's one of those really tastefully-made photos from that era.  They're each about 35 years old but looked very old compared to how 35 year-olds look now.  Whenever I walk through that lobby I can't help but glance over at it.  You see them beaming in that photo a few years before his sudden death and the strange path that Marge's life took as Reds owner. 

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »
As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words, which is why Marge will always be held in high regard down here in Cincy.

Marge Schott is held in high regard primarily with the majority of White Catholics in Cincinnati. Don't act like you're speaking for the whole metro.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
^ If someone polled the whole metro area, my money would be on Marge being viewed very favorably. Same with Pete Rose. They're Cincinnati heroes. Outside of the metro, you might get the opposite results, but who cares? It's like our chili, everyone else might hate it but it's ours and we don't care what anyone else thinks.

Offline jbcmh81

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2017, 07:25:35 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07/colorado-earth-flat-gravity-hoax/

This is the kind of thing that grows in a society that no longer places significant value on facts. 

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
There's a been a huge sub-culture of Conspiracy Theorists for quite a while now. I remember  it being a thing when I was in high school around 2004-2005 among my classmates and on the internet. Loose Change came out probably in 2003 (a video explaining why 9/11 was an inside job.) I'm pretty sure Alex Jones was heavily involved in that production. He actually hated George W. Bush and was very vocal about it. A lot of the stuff in Loose Change was debunked but Alex Jones also did a really interesting documentary around 2001 about the Bohemian Club / Bohemian Grove. It's a summer festival deep in the redwood forest in California where world leaders (presidents and other politicians, CEOs, bankers, celebrities and other people with a lot of influence, still get together and partake in some extremely weird rituals like burning and sacrificing a human body in effigy to a giant 40 foot owl. Alex Jones somehow managed to infiltrate the club and take video footage of their weird theatrical productions and rituals, despite security cameras, secret service and snipers throughout the place. 

There's a lot of rumors about them all running around completely naked and having gay orgies and inviting gay prostitutes in for them to have their way with. I don't know how credible the sources are and it's far fetched but I did watch the video footage of the cremation of care and their rituals are really weird. Prominent members include George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Alan Greenspan, Colin Powell, etc. You can find lists of all the members online and you can watch Alex Jones' video footage of Bohemian Grove on youtube.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:18:31 AM by David »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »
I remember seeing this on a building in San Francisco.

http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/01/30/54cbf5591ca1cf0a23ac57bb_image.jpg

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
Yeah, that's the Bohemian Club's office lol!

They planned the Manhattan Project at Bohemian Grove!

You can watch Alex Jones' documentary here if you ever have an hour and a half to kill. Back then, Alex Jones wasn't as politically aligned with Republians or the 'alt-right' and was just skeptical and critical of everything. Whether or not you believe the more outlandish stories about Bohemian Grove, it does show footage inside a very elite, private club of world leaders and includes weird rituals that people might reasonably interpret as satanic or cult-like. It's the closest thing to the alleged modern day Illuminati that I think we have solid proof of.

Unfortunately, it was 2001 so hidden cams were not that great. Someone needs to infiltrate it again, with an HD camera.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:06:56 PM by David »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
^ Yup I actually saw that Alex Jones special when it came out. It's a good entry point into Conspiracy 101 because, at its core, there's that perfect mixture of truth, ridiculousness and speculation at what the hell's going on lol.     

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07/colorado-earth-flat-gravity-hoax/

This is the kind of thing that grows in a society that no longer places significant value on facts. 

You, and the media, are being trolled. These types of conspiracies all start on 4chan, with two goals in mind. The first is to see if anyone is dumb enough to actually believe in something completely absurd. The answer to that is usually "no." The second goal is to see if anyone (in particular, the crowds on Twitter and Tumblr, and in some cases, liberal media) can be tricked into believing that other people actually believe in said absurdity. That goal is usually achievable, no matter how absurd the belief. That's what you're seeing here.

Though to some extent I wonder if that second goal might, some day, help achieve the first goal.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
^ Yup I actually saw that Alex Jones special when it came out. It's a good entry point into Conspiracy 101 because, at its core, there's that perfect mixture of truth, ridiculousness and speculation at what the hell's going on lol.     

Yeah, after seeing that, I was like, "Well, I'm all ears, now. I've just seen some riduclous sh!t on par with what you all are talking about. I'm at least willing to hear and consider what you have to say."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:13:59 AM by David »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
How America Lost Its Mind
The nation’s current post-truth moment is the ultimate expression of mind-sets that have made America exceptional throughout its history.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
Do you guys know about Tom Ogle?

“Are you afraid of oil companies or the Arabs coming after you?” I asked.

“No. Not any more. I’ve had too much publicity. If I’d kept my invention a secret I might be worrying. But there’s nothing to worry about any more.”

Tom said the 100 mpg returns he was seeing on his then standard 4,000 pound car was only the beginning of his newfound fuel efficiency. Tom felt confident that on the smaller, lighter cars, then only popular in Europe, he could get nine times as much.

That means in today’s light-weight automobiles we could be driving around getting 400 to 900 miles per gallon. And even gas guzzling Hummers and giant SUV’s Tom never lived to see might be more efficient than today’s best hybrid cars.

He did away with the carburetor and fuel pump; replacing them with a black box he called a ‘filter.’ The super mileage, he said, was due to his pressurized, vaporized fuel system that injected gasoline vapor, not liquid, directly into the engine’s firing chambers.

The modified car was extensively tested and engineers found no evidence of fraud. In one test for the media Ogle drove his Galaxie, which unmodified got about 13 miles per gallon, 200 miles on a measured 2 gallons of gasoline. The results were so astonishing that the car was inspected for hidden fuel tanks. None were found and those who drove with him confirmed that they had never stopped to refuel.

A few months after my first interview, his backer C.F. Ramsey sold out to Advance Fuel Systems Inc. in June of 1978. [a pre-planned hand-off] Tom was a bit nervous in my later phone calls, but all seemed to be well. He would continue receiving $5,000 a month and funds for research and development. He’d also get 6 percent royalties when the device came to market. Advance Fuel’s own engineers would develop the ‘Oglemobile’ for marketing and in April 1979, a still very ambitious Tom Ogle opened the first of a planned 1,000 nation-wide diagnostic car centers.

But Ogle’s first and only car center soon closed and his monthly checks stopped. Ogle was told he’d get no royalties because AFS was working on a device that got similar results but wasn’t his invention.

Shot and Poisoned
Continuing in his spiraling downfall from quick success and media attention in 1981, Monica, Tom’s wife left him and took along their five-year-old daughter Sherry. Then on April 14th he was shot in the street by someone who ‘got away’ yet he survived the incident.

On August 18th a broken and forgotten Tom Ogle, drunk, left The Smuggler’s Inn, the same place that I’d first met him. That night he went to a friend’s apartment and collapsed.

He was declared dead at El Paso’s Eastwood Hospital. His death, which involved a combination of Darvon, a prescribed pain killer, and alcohol, was ruled accidental or suicide. Many believed it was a cover-up for murder.

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=787

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2018, 11:15:31 PM »
Here's the patent he filed.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4177779

They've been suppressing innovation in energy technology since Tesla.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:50:13 PM by David »