PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Republican Party  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Republican Party
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
^ I like how the graph of "racial resentment" shows an 8% decrease over the last 4 years but the Post follows that up by saying "This graph shows that racial resentment hasn’t fluctuated much over time." Perhaps that's true in the long run, but all that means is that we've made significant progress over the last few years - more than we had made over the previous 2+ decades. That's rather remarkable.

I also like how measured someone's "racial resentment" by asking four true or false questions, one of which is: “Over the past few years, blacks have gotten less than they deserve." Something tells me the battery of questions doesn't quite measure what most people would call "racial resentment," it probably only measures whether or not people believe in racial privilege.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
^ I like how the graph of "racial resentment" shows an 8% decrease over the last 4 years but the Post follows that up by saying "This graph shows that racial resentment hasn’t fluctuated much over time." Perhaps that's true in the long run, but all that means is that we've made significant progress over the last few years - more than we had made over the previous 2+ decades. That's rather remarkable.

Shut the forum down, ya'll.

Ram just admitted we have shown "remarkable" progress on racial resentment under Barack Obama.

/dead

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
https://www.salon.com/2018/01/19/tom-cottons-cease-and-desist-letter-to-an-activist-raises-serious-first-amendment-questions/

Snowflake Tom Cotton is sending cease-and-desist letters to constituents who are contacting his office.

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »
It sounds like the case with Tom Cotton is more of an issue with an individual being threatening and involved in frequent very inappropriate behavior rather than trying to block someone who disagrees with him.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
It sounds like the case with Tom Cotton is more of an issue with an individual being threatening and involved in frequent very inappropriate behavior rather than trying to block someone who disagrees with him.

There are reports of multiple constituents receiving cease-and-desist letters.

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
Regardless if it's one person or five it seems appropriate to send cease-and-desist orders if individuals are threatening and cross a line.  If even just a bit of what I've read about the behavior of these individuals is true then it seems reasonable to me.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
^Uh, so, Tom Cotton doesn't want to be subject to the language that the President uses on a daily basis?

A counselor to Tom Cotton provided an update - "update: tone was threatening, no threats made. But c-word invoked."

Indeed, vulgar language can be rattling, but issuing a cease and desist veers into the realm of prior restraint, explained David Snyder, executive director of First Amendment Coalition.

“This letter is inappropriate, and I would say it’s borderline unconstitutional,” Snyder told Salon. “This kind of speech, as offensive as it may be and as vulgar as it is, is just part of the game; it’s part of what happens in a democracy.”

So yes, if the letters or calls included threats, by all means have Capitol Police take appropriate action.  Otherwise...deal with it.

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
Are you really making excuses for Donald Trump's behavior?  Have we lost our moral compass as citizens to the degree that we think the behavior of the President is OK and should be emulated?  A sad day indeed.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »
Are you really making excuses for Donald Trump's behavior?  Have we lost our moral compass as citizens to the degree that we think the behavior of the President is OK and should be emulated?  A sad day indeed.

I'm not making excuses.  I'm saying Tom Cotton, an ardent Trump supporter, should be able to deal with a few choice words from constituents.  As I said, if it elevates to a threat, then yes let the police handle it.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-arpaio-2018-election_us_5a563b5ae4b03417e8743168

Republicans are running four convicted criminals in Congressional races in 2018.

And at least four Democrats in congress have been convicted in the past year; so what does that tell you?

Who? The only one I can find is Corrine Brown who isn't running in 2018.

No response.  I'm assuming you just pulled a number out of your *** if you can't provide a source to this.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 03:22:58 PM »
Sen. Tom Cotton makes a threat: If Democrats don't stop using Senate procedure to jam nominations, "we might be compelled to change the rules on our own," he tells @hughhewitt

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/955850160508108802

Tom Cotton, who once denied the appointment of Cassandra Butts to be Ambaassador to the Bahamas because she was friends with Barack Obama - an appointment he denied for 835 days UNTIL SHE DIED - is now threatening to change the rules of nominations.

Tom Cotton remains THE ****ING WORST.