PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The forum is Back!  (Read 4358 times)

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The forum is Back!
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2017, 02:01:59 AM »
Last time I got a warning I told them to delete my account and they didn't do it. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
What for?

Stating facts.  You know, data.  About cities. 

Let me guess.  To rebut someone's "feelings" about some issue they didn't know much about. 

This "hear-melt-report" thing is really getting to be corrosive on the 'net.   Of the many things I dislike about Trump, one of the most annoying is thanks to his minions this is becoming multi-ideological.

This is topical because when the forum goes down some of us forget this posting "elsewhere".  :)

Offline DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
The forum is back...again!

Offline richNcincy

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio.com
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a recommendation. This is a "when the dust finally settles" matter... not urgent but something that can be fixed eventually.

Since others apparently  aren't seeing their password reset emails, I think you guys should probably look into a third party email provider. Example: MailGun, which allows your site to send 10,000 emails per month for free. There are others. MailGun may not be perfect but it should be better than trying to DIY, and the price is right.

I develop websites and getting site emails such as password resets and other stuff out to visitors reliably is a royal pain in the ass and it's almost impossible to get right on a dedicated server where you supply your own resources.

I set up Mailgun for my WordPress sites and the problem mostly went away. The reason you're seeing the SPAMming is that almost all of the webmail services such as Google and Yahoo now demand that your server's email setup provides layers of extensive identity verification - their solution to spam. If you don't implement the stuff they like, they spam your emails. One technique is to set up a mail delivery protocol called DKIM on your server, and I gave up on doing this after several hours.

A third party email agent has the email delivery problem solved.

@TheDonald - Wanted to follow up with you and let you know that we're using mailgun now and it has for the most part fixed our email issue.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
What for?

Stating facts.  You know, data.  About cities. 

Let me guess.  To rebut someone's "feelings" about some issue they didn't know much about. 

This "hear-melt-report" thing is really getting to be corrosive on the 'net.   Of the many things I dislike about Trump, one of the most annoying is thanks to his minions this is becoming multi-ideological.

This is topical because when the forum goes down some of us forget this posting "elsewhere".  :)

I checked the email and the "trolling" infraction had to do with me telling someone that I lived in Tennessee for five years after he speculated that I had never visited the state. 

That was just another example of the southern inferiority I experienced the whole time I lived there.  They never stopped talking it up so that if you said anything even mildly critical you were the bad guy.  Not the fact that the place isn't anything like what these people imagine it to be. 

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
^ i lived there too briefly and for sure it certainly isn't anything like what they imagine it to be. for one thing it isn't southern, its appalachian.

Offline TheDonald

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
@TheDonald - Wanted to follow up with you and let you know that we're using mailgun now and it has for the most part fixed our email issue.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Cool. Happy to help.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
^ i lived there too briefly and for sure it certainly isn't anything like what they imagine it to be. for one thing it isn't southern, its appalachian.

Depends on where in the state.  The Memphis area is definitely southern.  Not sure where the dividing line is.

Ohioans understand there's at least three, perhaps four different regions that reach into Ohio.   Other states don't get it as much.

Offline slumcat

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
 @mods, thanks for working with me to bring my account back from the dead!  :)  still wondering...do we get email notifications of replies like we used to?  Not clear if itís an option based on the screen Iím looking at.

Offline richNcincy

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio.com
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2017, 11:45:27 PM »
@mods, thanks for working with me to bring my account back from the dead!  :)  still wondering...do we get email notifications of replies like we used to?  Not clear if itís an option based on the screen Iím looking at.

You will have to set those up again. I see a notify button right next to the reply button at the bottom of each thread. That would be the one to click.

Offline slumcat

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
K, thanks, I see that now.  I just remember a box thing that I was used to checking.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »
Where's the card at the top of the forum page, containing the two ways in which it sorts posts for you? The unread replies to your posts and (I think) all of the unread posts? I didn't realize how much they meant to me before...