PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 8632 times)

Online audidave

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Akron: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
Industrial expansion in the AK too...
http://www.ohio.com/business/36152724.html

Company retools attitude
Ken-Tool of Akron makes changes to its building and way it does business to stay competitive, local
By Jim Mackinnon
Beacon Journal business writer
Published on Monday, Dec 15, 2008

Alec Pendleton decided it was time to put a new roof over his head and those of his long-time employees.

But the owner of Ken-Tool, a small tool maker that specializes in truck tire repair equipment, wasn't thinking so much of making changes to better keep rain, snow and other harsh weather outside.

Instead, an ongoing expansion project and related renovations at the small, 87-year-old Akron manufacturer are aimed at helping the company perform better in an ever-more competitive world.

Even with the recession that has hit manufacturers particularly hard, the $2 million project, which is a big deal for a company this size, looks to be money well spent, Pendleton said.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:57:44 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline Master

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
The reason Northeast Ohio will never die is because of the mind-set of it's people. Adapt, improvise and overcome. Imagination and hard work under any conditions will always make things happen. I think manufacturing will come back to the area. The economy will turn around eventually. Unfortunately, Ohio is more linked to the national economy than most other states, but once the national economy turns around, so will Ohio. And from what I've been seeing, I think in a major way.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
Historic Tallmadge house demolished after long fight
By Jim Carney, Beacon Journal, January 08, 2009

TALLMADGE: Four years after the Civil War ended, a house was built just off the Tallmadge Circle.

Over the years, a few additions were added on to the tiny home.

And now, 140 years after the original portion was built, a demolition crew tore it down in a matter of a few hours.

The house, owned by Linda and Randy Lorkowski, became the center of controversy with the city over whether it could be torn down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:59:13 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline metrocity

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
http://www.ohio.com/news/39653647.html
Just what Barberton needs, less fitness facililities and more parking??
Barberton to raze old natatorium
Closed since 2007, Morgan Street fitness center will be demolished for high school parking
By Marilyn Miller
Beacon Journal staff writer
Published on Monday, Feb 16, 2009

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:04:30 PM by metrocity »

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
I've only been in the btown nat once.. and that was way back in the day. it was kinda small

Offline zipsrifle

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
ABJ article on the 22 Exchange Housing project.

Downtown Akron student housing, retail project on track
By Beacon Journal staff
POSTED: 12:12 p.m. EST, Mar 05, 2009

Work is on schedule for students to move into part of the $25 million private student housing and retail project being built on South Main Street in Akron by August, the developer said this week.

The first phase of the project in the block bordered by Main, Cedar, High and Exchange streets will be ready with 141 bedrooms on the Main Street side in time for the University of Akron fall semester, said Martin Mehall, owner of the project. Mehall is majority owner and president of the firm that owns the project, Exchange Street Associates, the developer, Urban Dynamics and the management company, Richland Communities.

About 50 of the bedrooms or 30 suites have already been leased, said Mehall. The total project will include 471 bedrooms in 142 units that are two, three and four bedroom units, he said. Mehall said the project is on track to have more than 50 percent of available units in August rented by Easter.

http://www.ohio.com/news/40786072.html#

For better pics go here:

http://www.22exchange.com/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:00:37 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
Drove past it the other day.. seen that the pub is already working on signage..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:19:57 PM by JamesMatthew »

Offline jar3232

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
So I have a random question.  I was driving back on 77 from Akron to Cleveland tonight and noticed they are putting up 4-5 new buildings along the highway.  Is it just random office space? 

Online audidave

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »
Not sure exactly what you're referring to.  But there was a story on First Energy's new campus on the west side of Akron on channel 3 news last week talking about how they built a new building with LEED standards.  Its primarily their IT operations based out of this building.  But if its a "campus" one could guess that there would likely be other back office operations that First Energy might be moving over there.  It was a nauseating piece because the dimwitted anchor kept saying it was the "First Energy's new headquarters" throughout.  Here's accompanying write up alas the video link is gone:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=108768

AKRON -- FirstEnergy is an energy company looking to save energy, and it's doing it through green construction.

"FirstEnergy took a really bold step in terms of green construction in the region," says Michael Molinski, an architect for Vocon, a Cleveland-based firm that designed the building. "They have, with this building, put forth an example that other companies and institutions can look at say, 'Hey, they were able to do this, so we can, too.'"

What FirstEnergy did was build its newest facility to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards, a benchmark for green design and construction.

As a result, the building uses 20 percent less energy than a building of similar size.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:56:43 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
I did see a sign saying there will be a new dental office over there for one Dr George..

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
I managed to take a few pictures when I went downtown for lunch of the construction for the canal walls and towpath trail under the civic. From what I saw it looks like it will be nice. I sure hope there are going to do some cosmetic cover-up for the concrete posts holding up the civic floor. There are doors under the bridge and I'm guessing perhaps a shop, place to eat inside. Not sure.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:11:02 AM by MayDay »

Offline urbanpreppie05

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
Glad to see this is still being worked on!

Offline zipsrifle

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
Man, there is construction going on all over town!

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
I heard the construction management/design will be done by the same firm that did the canal park stadium. If so then I think it will be a great design.

Offline hubz1124

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
KeyBank starts work on new Akron headquarters building
by Michelle Jarboe/Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday May 21, 2009, 12:00 AM
Courtesy of KeyBank.Elevation plans for KeyBank's new Akron headquarters, which could open in fall 2010 at the northeast corner of University Avenue and South Main Street downtown.

KeyBank is starting construction on a new Akron headquarters building, at the northeast corner of University Avenue and South Main Street downtown.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/05/keybank_starts_work_on_new_akr.html#preview
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:17:16 PM by hubz1124 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »
KeyBank starts work on new Akron headquarters building
by Michelle Jarboe/Plain Dealer Reporter

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=largekeybankakronelevat.jpg

Very unispiring imo.  I thought that downtown was moving in a great direction with the new buildings, but this one takes a step back.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:33:54 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
What are you talking about Yanni?  That thing is Mega Cool...

Offline Master

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »
Business incubator attracts two firms to Akron
Mayor thanks firms for investing in Akron

By Paula Schleis
Beacon Journal business writer
Published on Saturday, May 30, 2009

Akron's relationship with Israel's business community has given birth to two new companies at the city's business incubator.

Executives with two Israeli firms, introduced at a news conference at the Akron Global Business Accelerator on Friday, suggested their enterprises could add a collective 80 jobs in the next two to three years.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:49:33 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »
Unorthodox thinking filling Knight Center
  Car shows, roller skating plug gaps left by traditional conventions

By Rick Armon

The number of events has climbed from 132 in 2003 to 220 last year. The number of visitors jumped from 280,000 to 427,000 over the same period.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/46788712.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2009, 02:43:34 PM »
UA students filling up unfinished apartment complex

Martin Mehall could use the motto, ''Build it and they will come.''

He did, and they have.

University of Akron students have snapped up all 140 beds in the first phase of an apartment complex in downtown Akron.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:49:58 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Online audidave

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
^ Right by the new housing for students on S. Main St.  Cool pics of the building in the article.
http://www.ohio.com/business/47636312.html

Landmark rescued
By Betty Lin-Fisher
POSTED: 06:22 p.m. EDT, Jun 10, 2009

A downtown Akron building whose last owner lost it to foreclosure after a failed attempt to sell it on eBay is getting new life under the eye of historic building renovator Tony Troppe.  Plans call for the Kaiser Building, across from Canal Park on South Main Street, to have a cafe or store in two slots on the first floor, offices on the second floor and a mix of offices and loft apartments on the third floor.

CHOPPED
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:37:40 PM by audidave »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »
/\/\
Thats great, Tony is pretty much trying to single-handedly make downtown Akron a great place.  Sure, the new housing will help (Northside & Student Block), but saving all of these historic structures provides the bones for a great small city.

http://www.1akron.com/home.htm

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Photo of the completed Northside Lofts
developed and built by Testa
Architect - City Architecture
http://www.northsidelofts.com/
I believe these start at $375,000, guessing about 1,500 s.f.
20 of 32 condos sold, but I believe some are unoccupied and owned by Testa as models.

The new brownstones on Main St., an extension of Northside Lofts
developed and built by Testa
Architect - ? (I don't believe City did these)
http://www.northsidelofts.com/index2.html

The brownstones start at $235,000, guessing about 1,500 s.f.
2 bedrooms & loft space
They are currently finishing the first 7 units in phased construction.
5 of 14 total units sold, according to the website.

I don't know who is buying these at this price, but I don't see how you could get your money's worth.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:15:51 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Blaze guts former home of Wally Waffle

By Beacon Journal staff

Akron firefighters battled a blaze at a Marion Avenue building that formerly housed Wally Waffle around 7 p.m. Tuesday. The Wallhaven-area restaurant, which was the original in the local group of breakfast spots, closed in 2007.
http://www.ohio.com/news/48209087.html

So long Wally Waffle

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
Some progress being made at the former location of The Grotto in the Merriman Valley.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »
I don't know who is buying these at this price, but I don't see how you could get your money's worth.

Simple. If someone is enjoying their home with no regrets, then they are getting their money's worth.

The development is next to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's Akron Station and accessible to the Towpath Trail...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:17:27 PM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »
Simple. If someone is enjoying their home with no regrets, then they are getting their money's worth.

The development is next to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's Akron Station and accessible to the Towpath Trail...

I don't disagree with you, but you could build new for cheaper than that in that area.  It is still and industrial and blighted area.  It is not in walking distance to a grocer.  The whole point of living in an urban area is so you don't have to rely on car and there are lots of amenities.  The towpath is great, but I would doubt that the rail gets used very often by residents, especially after a few years and the nostalgia has worn off.

Offline JamesMatthew

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
They look pretty good but don't think I'll be buying in that area just yet.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
I don't disagree with you, but you could build new for cheaper than that in that area.  It is still and industrial and blighted area.  It is not in walking distance to a grocer.  The whole point of living in an urban area is so you don't have to rely on car and there are lots of amenities.  The towpath is great, but I would doubt that the rail gets used very often by residents, especially after a few years and the nostalgia has worn off.

The rail service and towpath trail are recreational, but they do boost the value of the surrounding lands.

And I don't think many Ohio real estate developers (or housing buyers) understand the urban experience as we do. My guess is that they see the urban experience as living as close to downtown as possible, but still have a yard, a garage and garden.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
The rail service and towpath trail are recreational, but they do boost the value of the surrounding lands.

And I don't think many Ohio real estate developers (or housing buyers) understand the urban experience as we do. My guess is that they see the urban experience as living as close to downtown as possible, but still have a yard, a garage and garden.

I think the developers have a good understanding of it, it's getting the people that live in Akron to understand it.  There is still a lot of old money here and people like their 3,000 s.f.+ homes on 2 acres.  The only housing that has been downtown in a long time is low-income.  Now they have these lofts & brownstones and some new student housing.  All great ideas, but it will take a while for the density to get anywhere near where it was 100 years ago.