PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Playhouse Square Apartment Tower  (Read 12298 times)

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Playhouse Square Apartment Tower
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2017, 06:58:08 AM »
I honestly think that's a fair compromise. If they didn't include retail there's a reason for it. I'm not saying it's great for street life to not have an activated ground floor, but at the same time the proportion of "people above" to "necessary retail space on the ground" in Cleveland is low. It may become obvious quickly after completion that they have demand for retail space or it may take a handful of years before continued development pushes for retail space demand at this edge of Downtown. I'm okay as long as it truly is possible that some space is able to be converted in some manner in the future.

Offline mack34

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
It literally is across the street from one of the largest Theater districts in a America.....It has to have space for Restaurants and shops.  I'm hopeful the city forces it up front.....

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »
But to be fair that crowd that frequents the theaters is typically the "get in your car and go home" crowd so it isn't yet seen if a ground level space directly in this spot really works.

Offline mack34

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »
I understand that....But I'm part of the "please put in more restaurants" crowd who wants more options.  This will be my future home...And by putting the garage there, Playhouse is wanting to direct more people to the Euclid side.  Just put the space in now, Don't worry about correcting it later.....This spot demands it. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
Here's the Litt piece....

Playhouse Square apartment tower design is underwhelming: Steven Litt (photos)
http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/06/early_designs_show_playhouse_s.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
From that Litt piece, to answer a question posed upthread:

At ground level on the Euclid side, the garage will initially have two-foot-deep display windows that Patterson said would be programmed by Playhouse Square.

In the future, as demand for retail rises in the neighborhood, Playhouse Square could sacrifice a row of parking at ground level and insert 5,000 square feet of retail in the garage.

Offline YABO713

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
^that is a bit of a peculiar strategy, no?

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
There are very few storefront vacancies nearby.  Not only is this across from the theaters, it's right next to an increasingly residential university.  I wonder what they're using for a demand metric.  This is one of those situations where the city might offer assistance in doing the right thing.  Litt compares the current proposal to Superior between 9th and 12th, a perfect example of what not to do.

Offline YABO713

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
I just so wish the top 5-6 floors were offered as condos.

Offline ethlaw

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2017, 08:10:31 AM »
Yeah it's a terribly stupid strategy to not initially include retail. This is in the heart of Playhouse Square, and there are no significant nearby vacancies. I hope someone puts some pressure on them to add retail right away (as well as diverting the garage entrances to E 17th). Is there going to be a public meeting about this?

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
They built "future retail opportunities" into the Gateway garage on Huron should retail space be needed in the future. Makes everyone feel good now but it will never be turned to retail.

Offline mack34

« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
^ agree on the retail!!  I also read that the Euclid entrance will be for residents of tower and other entrance will be for everyone else.  They want to keep them separate. 

Offline ethlaw

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
^ Still not a good idea. They can still have 2 separate entrances without using Euclid at all. They could have an entrance on E. 17th and another entrance on Brownell Ct. IMO, I don't think we should be supporting anything that promotes more vehicular traffic on Euclid.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
Wow, they're not messing around.

PLAYHOUSE SQUARE

Back Return to Case List | Start Over | Print Report (PDF format)

Project Information

Downtown/Flats Case #  DF 2017-041
Address:    Euclid Avenue and East 17th Street
Company:    Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Architect:    Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Description:    

New residential and parking structure
Notes:    

Several preliminary meetings were held.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2507&CASE=DF%202017-041

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
^ Here's hoping the foundation is open to some constructive criticism on the current design.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
I was concerned at first because the building contrasts so much with the surroundings. But then I realized that you see that contrast in all "big" cities. I too hope that garage access is moved to a side street, and that retail is a part of the mix. The rendering looks promising that they will be embracing the sidewalk in some way.

Well, there is a 22-story building across the street, a 16-story building next door and a new 11-story residential building a block away. But this will definitely fill out the skyline more....

2013:
cleveland from lake erie-large by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

2023?
cleveland from lake erie 2-labeled by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Cleve York?

Offline YABO713

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
Currently listening to "Burn on" by Randy Newman whilst walking Euclid Ave in the midst of change of construction. All the feels

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
nothing to see here
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:16:08 AM by musky »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Posted on the previous page.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
its great to see this long, long, long rumored project is finally a go.

319 apts in the building? so i think we can safely assume around 5-600 people living there, yes? and thus, 5-600 more people living downtown -- and that is the best news of all.

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
The project is going before Design Review for conceptual approval on Thursday http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/06162017/DRC_2017_6_15.pdf

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Design review got pushed back one week....

Graphics! Renderings! Pretty pictures! A few more are at:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/06232017/index.php

DOWNTOWN/FLATS DESIGN REVIEW
DF2017-041 Playhouse Square Residential Tower New Construction: Seeking Conceptual Approval
Project Location: Euclid Avenue & East 17th Street
Project Representatives: Joe Fox, Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Brad Soderwall, Hines
Art Falco, Playhouse Square

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
^ I like the tower more after seeing those renderings. There is more dynamism and movement in the facede than I had noticed before. The small outcroppings to provide different angles for interior views looking out really helps to break up what I thought were going to be flat glass walls.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
The garage also looks much better in these renderings.  I do wish the retail component would be part of this from the get go... but well see what happens

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
Weird that none of the models or renderings have incorporated The Edge

Offline mack34

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
After seeing those renderings, the Tower is spectacular....and it seems that there are some balconies worked in.  The garage is growing on me....but still hope they push to include the retail from the start.  Build this so i can move in!!

Offline ExPatClevGuy

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »
I think the East-facing elevation facing the street is a disappointment.  The South side not so much, since other things may eventually happen on adjoining lots

The East-facing side of the tower deserves at least something; a minimal cant, slice, sculpt, or some kind of faceted treatment that hints at the more sculptural elements of the West-facing elevation.  It's like a mullet with all the party on the West, and strictly business on the East.

No need to go full-on. but something to break up the tired Internationalist file cabinet look that it currently presents will be great.
This is my only gripe other than the bland facade and the hokey frame surrounding the garage portion on Euclid. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:14:57 PM by ExPatClevGuy »

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
I love the "portal" it creates with the Keith building on Euclid, especially with the PHS arch. I really don't like the garage, especially with out any signage. I think the advertising helps create a busy feel that fits in well with the theaters. Without it, it really is just like you're looking at Walnut Ave. The tower itself is spectacular.

Offline YABO713

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
I love the "portal" it creates with the Keith building on Euclid, especially with the PHS arch. I really don't like the garage, especially with out any signage. I think the advertising helps create a busy feel that fits in well with the theaters. Without it, it really is just like you're looking at Walnut Ave. The tower itself is spectacular.

Perfect word choice. In all honesty, for kids searching to go to college at a "city campus", looking west down Euclid from Cleveland State will certainly provide the "in the city" feel. One of my biggest grievances with Downtown is that we don't have enough "portal"-like perspectives. We get it a big on 9th in the stip from PNC to Ameritrust as well as on Superior from the 5/3 Building to 1717, but we could certainly use more of it! Hopefully the addition of the Beacon provides it down Euclid as well.

Offline Whipjacka

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
this garage is irksome.  There shouldn't be a Euclid avenue garage entrance in the middle of an entertainment district and there should be retail.  They're building this like the oswald garage on superior and should be building it like the garage at 515 euclid.   

Wasn't there just some initiative pushed by the city to force parking structures to have groundfloor retail?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:26:05 PM by Whipjacka »