Author Topic: 2018 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 13279 times)

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: 2018 Gubernatorial Election
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/06/12/ohio-governor-senate-poll/693957002/

Cordray leads 43-36 in latest Enquirer / Suffolk University poll.

I think a big part of this is Cordray is an unknown candidate at this point and the Dewine name has been around Ohio forever. I think if the GOP defines Cordray things will change here.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »
Name recognition typically is beneficial to a candidate's polling, even in today's anti-establishment environment.

Furthermore, Cordray's won statewide elections before, so I wouldn't say he's unknown. Dewine is definitely more well known though.

The poll results are very interesting but it will take a few more polls to figure out what's really going on.

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Cordray is well-known around Columbus for sure.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
Cordray is not known like say Sherrod Brown. If Brown were running and the polls said this, I think it would be a much more ominous sign

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »
Very Stable Genius

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
Cordray is not known like say Sherrod Brown. If Brown were running and the polls said this, I think it would be a much more ominous sign

Lucky for Cordray, Brown will also be on the ballot.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/06/richard_cordray_mike_dewine_ti.html

Quinnipiac shows Cordray ahead 42-40.

So far this is the first time the Democrats didn’t self destruct since 2006, and they won that one.

Mary Taylor would have won, I’m pretty sure.   I have doubts about DeWine, I may not vote for him myself.   They never should have turned over the state party to Cult45 after their hero got trounced in the primary.

Offline ethlaw

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/06/richard_cordray_mike_dewine_ti.html

Quinnipiac shows Cordray ahead 42-40.

So far this is the first time the Democrats didn’t self destruct since 2006, and they won that one.

Mary Taylor would have won, I’m pretty sure.   I have doubts about DeWine, I may not vote for him myself.   They never should have turned over the state party to Cult45 after their hero got trounced in the primary.

You really think Mary Taylor would've been the stronger candidate against Cordray? I disagree. I think she alienated a lot of the more moderate-thinking people whose votes are needed to win in Ohio

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
^Like me. I'm proudly a Kasich supporter who never would've voted for Mary Taylor. I'm still undecided about November.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
For as long as I can remember, the hateful and divisive political rhetoric that has now, unfortunately, become the norm on the national state has always been rare in Ohio. Ohio's Republicans and Democrats aren't all that far apart on most issues, and even when they are there's not a lot of vitriol between the two sides. Unfortunately, Cordray appears to be taking the low road.

PX column: Why did Richard Cordray link some Ohio Republicans to Nazi collaborators?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2018/06/25/ohio-governors-race-dem-richard-cordray-makes-bizarre-nazi-reference/730717002/

In the age of Donald Trump, Nazi references are way out of control in American political discourse.

How out of hand? Even some of the wonky, nice guys in politics are making them.

But that doesn't excuse Ohio gubernatorial candidate Richard Cordray, who made a bizarre comment likening some Republicans to Nazi collaborators while speaking in Lima before last month's primary. Politics Extra on Monday obtained a video of Cordray's speech to the Allen County Democratic Party Women's Club on March 8.

Online casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
Oh please

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Much ado...

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180626/cordray-touts-clean-energy-backs-off-gop-nazis-quote

Responding to a Dispatch question after the event, Cordray expressed regret for linking Ohio Republicans with Nazi collaborators during an earlier speech.

Criticizing local GOP officials who stayed silent while Republican officials in Columbus were cutting funding to their communities, Cordray had said: “Somebody said to me these are ‘Vichy Republicans,’ which I didn’t fully understand. I guess that’s ‘Vichy France’ during World War II, the ones who went over and collaborated with the Nazis.”

The comments came to the Allen County Democratic Party Women’s Club on March 8, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, which posted the video.  “I repeated a comment that somebody else had made to me, and I now regret that I did that because it was not particularly well thought-out in the first place,” Cordray told The Dispatch.  “My point was that people ought to be willing to speak up for what’s right in the state, regardless of party.”
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »
For as long as I can remember, the hateful and divisive political rhetoric that has now, unfortunately, become the norm on the national state has always been rare in Ohio. Ohio's Republicans and Democrats aren't all that far apart on most issues, and even when they are there's not a lot of vitriol between the two sides. Unfortunately, Cordray appears to be taking the low road.

Do you need a safe space?
Very Stable Genius

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »

This type of comment also serves as an example of what I'm talking about when I say "low road." It's something I'd expect in the Trump thread, but you guys seem to have been completely overcome by this type of hateful divisiveness. I've never voted a straight ticket before, but if this type of rhetoric is going to become the norm it might drive we towards that.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »

This type of comment also serves as an example of what I'm talking about when I say "low road." It's something I'd expect in the Trump thread, but you guys seem to have been completely overcome by this type of hateful divisiveness. I've never voted a straight ticket before, but if this type of rhetoric is going to become the norm it might drive we towards that.

Look what you made me do. 

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »

It was a sarcastic comment about how you make fun of liberal "safe spaces" on campuses and the left being too sensitive.
Very Stable Genius

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2018, 11:09:44 AM »
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180711/dewine-pledges-to-keep-full-medicaid-expansion-coverage

Mike DeWine long had labeled Ohio’s expansion of Medicaid health coverage to 664,439 adults — largely the working poor — as financially unsustainable.

The Republican gubernatorial candidate talked of continuing treatment for the drug-addicted and mentally ill while seeking unspecified flexibility and waivers from federal authorities to revamp the program. The expansion, DeWine said, “will not exist as we know it.”

On Wednesday afternoon, DeWine flatly said he would retain the entire Medicaid expansion while seeking reforms, imposing work requirements for recipients and instituting wellness programs to reduce costs.

DeWine basically adopting Cordray's position (with a few slight differences) on Medicaid expansion.
Very Stable Genius

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

Really? This is so maddening. Trump and the GOP have been taking the "low road" from square one. Trump started all the devisiveness and keeps stirring it up every chance he gets. Republicans invented the concept of calling people snowflakes and asking them if they need a safe space. But it's liberals that are overcome by hatefulness? Please.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »

Really? This is so maddening. Trump and the GOP have been taking the "low road" from square one. Trump started all the devisiveness and keeps stirring it up every chance he gets. Republicans invented the concept of calling people snowflakes and asking them if they need a safe space. But it's liberals that are overcome by hatefulness? Please.

He didn't start it.   He adopted the tactics of the "PC" left and adapted them for his purposes.   He's an accomplished BS ar...errrr....."salesman" so he is better at them.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »

He didn't start it.   He adopted the tactics of the "PC" left and adapted them for his purposes.   He's an accomplished BS ar...errrr....."salesman" so he is better at them.

Adopted the tactics of the PC left.  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  We are still plugging that boogeymen.

Was it the PC left that wore shirts during the campaign that said f*** your feelings?

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

The discussion we were engaged in (read a few posts back) was about how for the most part, the "low road" tactics that permeate both sides of national politics now have not been seen much in Ohio state politics. Neither from the Republicans nor Democrats. Until now.

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

The discussion we were engaged in (read a few posts back) was about how for the most part, the "low road" tactics that permeate both sides of national politics now have not been seen much in Ohio state politics. Neither from the Republicans nor Democrats. Until now.

Right. And where we saw it on full display was the GOP gubernatorial primary. Some of the worst attack ads I've ever seen in a statewide election.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »

Jim Jordan is from Ohio.
Very Stable Genius

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Letter-from-Attorneys-General.pdf

DeWine signs letter supporting SCOTUS candidate Kavanaugh and decrying "made up constitutional rights."
Very Stable Genius

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »
FOP just endorsed Cordray.  That's a significant one because, IIRC, they're one of the few unions that's not always a lock to endorse the Democratic candidate.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180724/fop-of-ohio-endorses-richard-cordray-for-governor

Offline ethlaw

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
FOP just endorsed Cordray.  That's a significant one because, IIRC, they're one of the few unions that's not always a lock to endorse the Democratic candidate.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180724/fop-of-ohio-endorses-richard-cordray-for-governor

Even more interestingly, the FOP almost entirely endorsed Democrats for the statewide races this year: Cordray for governor, Brown for Senator, Dettelbach for AG, Space for Auditor, Richardson for Treasurer, and Stewart and Donnelly for Supreme Court. The only Republican they endorsed was LaRose for Secretary of State, which kinda makes me wonder what exactly they saw in Kathleen Clyde that differentiated her so much from the rest of the Democrats.

Not that I really care that much either way. The FOP is not an organization I would take political advice from. Still I thought this was interesting.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
Very Stable Genius

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline Dougal

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
An interesting comment at the latest City Club of Cleveland roundtable was that Columbus for the past several years has been cleaning up in the competition for state funds relative to the other two C's. Has this point come up in either gubernatorial campaign?   
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
^Has that observation been documented anywhere? Could very well be true, but seems just as likely to be a misconception getting passed off as fact.