PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: 2026 FIFA World Cup  (Read 1673 times)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: 2026 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
It's naive to think that FIFA doesn't look at how many tickets are sold to international sporting events in cities. I didn't say they picked Cincinnati as a potential city because we are loud at games. I said we sold a ton of tickets to unimportant matches. I understand it's not about atmosphere, but Cincinnati didn't get the spot on the short list because they offered more incentives than Cleveland did.

And yeah, I know why those three backed out. It was because they didn't get any concessions from FIFA on the requirements to host and weren't comfortable agreeing to the terms.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
It's naive to think that FIFA doesn't look at how many tickets are sold to international sporting events in cities. I didn't say they picked Cincinnati as a potential city because we are loud at games. I said we sold a ton of tickets to unimportant matches. I understand it's not about atmosphere, but Cincinnati didn't get the spot on the short list because they offered more incentives than Cleveland did.

And yeah, I know why those three backed out. It was because they didn't get any concessions from FIFA on the requirements to host and weren't comfortable agreeing to the terms.

You and I have no idea what Cincinnati offered. FIFA and US Soccer makes sure of that. Yet, it's very telling three cities walked out of the 2026 World Cup. Chicago(!) walked. If I had to lay odds, I would say Cincy offered more than most cities in the region. The $11 billion is coming from somewhere.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
Our "owner" should stay off twitter, even to congratulate today's announcement:

https://twitter.com/APrecourt/status/1006897721037352961

#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
tbh, and this pains me to say, Cleveland doesnt deserve it.  We have had multiple opportunities to show we can get behind international soccer and have not really taken advantage of that.  The USA-Belgium game a few years back was not a great atmosphere and not really well attended.  The Gold Cup last summer was not even a third full stadium....and just last night, 12K for team USA women vs China.  Not saying that has to be a sellout, but those are April Indians game numbers. 

It is what it is, not saying there is anything wrong with the numbers, but we cant be expected to pull the world Cup. Nashville, for example, in their gold cup game last summer was almost sold out at 50K and it was pretty raucous

Gold Cup is coming back to Cleveland in 2019...

Yes, i was surprised by that.  Either David Gilbert and that Sports Commission Group has a hell of a pitch or something really went well last year while here.  I was at the game last summer and it was fun, but it was also discouraging that we cant fill that place better.  There is no guarantee team USA will even play in Cleveland...so if its Martinique vs Haiti....gulp on the attendance.  The costs to host may exceed the revenues

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
tbh, and this pains me to say, Cleveland doesnt deserve it.  We have had multiple opportunities to show we can get behind international soccer and have not really taken advantage of that.  The USA-Belgium game a few years back was not a great atmosphere and not really well attended.  The Gold Cup last summer was not even a third full stadium....and just last night, 12K for team USA women vs China.  Not saying that has to be a sellout, but those are April Indians game numbers. 

It is what it is, not saying there is anything wrong with the numbers, but we cant be expected to pull the world Cup. Nashville, for example, in their gold cup game last summer was almost sold out at 50K and it was pretty raucous

Those are dismal numbers. But I would attribute it to poor marketing. For example, I had no idea of a USA women vs China game last night and I generally stay on top of all events going on in town. I see no media coverage before the games alerting the public and no real effort by others. With 3MM people in Cleveland, it should not be hard to fill a 60k seat stadium. Its that very few people know about these opportunities.  That said, CLE would definitely sell out a World Cup game or two....

This is true. Not sure who is in charge of the marketing.  Greater Cleveland sports commission or First Energy Stadium?

Offline troeros

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
I'm not sure why we are making this into a Cleveland vs Cincinnati thing.

Why Cleveland wasn't on the short list, I have no idea...Cincinnati is definitely on the rise, and FCC has definitely created a unique soccer culture that has captured the attention of many. We should all be proud that Cincy may get a chance to host a world cup game..yet it's conspiracy theory central over here, almost as if Cincy is some 3rd world city that deserves nothing good or positive...Where is the love guys?

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
^i donít think this is a cleveland vs cincy thing. Iím from cleveland and am a huge soccer fan and Iím openly admitting cincy more deserved of the opportunity. Read my first post on the topic, I said cleveland has not earned its right as a soccer city to take it from a different city that fully supports soccer. Now if other criteria is involved, such as venue, walkability, financial incentives...thatís the big question. But cleveland has not gotten behind international soccer at a World Cup worthy level and thatís a fact

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
I imagine it's a bit of a reward for fast-tracking FCC.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
^ I doubt Cincy gets a game. Given the roster of cities and that 7 US cities need to be cut, and they have previously stated the Rose Bowl and Georgia Dome are the preferred Semi site and Meadowlands the final site, it leaves 14 cities vying for 7 spots.
Given it is the 250 anniversary for Philly they are likely in; Seattle is in to have something in Pacific NW, especially given that Vancouver is out; Miami will be in to cover the Southeast; and Dallas or Houston will be a spot too.  That leaves 3 spots left between Cincinnati, Orlando, Nashville, Denver, Baltimore, Washington, Boston, San Francisco and Kansas City. It is likely the Baltimore/Washington area gets one spot, Boston gets one and San Fran gets the last spot. Cincy's best hope is that they offer the best location in the Midwest from access points, and are not competing with Chicago on this one.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
^I agree. I think our odds are slim, but they are there. I'm not confident that Boston gets it since it would be in Foxborough, and not Boston proper. I think Miami certainly gets it, and that likely means Orlando doesn't get in.

The best thing Cincinnati has for it is that we are the closest city to the Chicago-Mineapolis-Detroit Great Lakes area. Having a location that's driving distance to Chicago is probably preferred. The city could also put together a pretty good fan destination at The Banks where they close down blocks to vehicular traffic for fans.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
I was thinking about it and assuming they like to have each region represented Cincinnati may have a better than expected chance.
If you think  Pacific NW (Seattle/Portland Vancouver areas) Seattle is the venue there; Texas (Hou/Dallas) one of them will get it; Southeast (Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville) I would get rid of Nashville because the others bring more to the table (bigger and more international airports) and probably go to Miami over Orlando because of soccer diversity is better in South Florida. Atlanta has already been pegged as a semi final site. Going up the East coast, you have New York/Boston/Philly/DC/Baltimore areas. New York will be the finals so they are in. I think Philly gets it because of its 250th anniversary as a city, leaving DC or Boston as a tossup (Baltimore is out). DC makes more sense but Boston's leadership in MLS and soccer may get it there over DC because DC MLS ownership is in disarray now.  SO then we go to California and have LA and San Fran. LA will be in as the site for the Semi's.

This leaves 3 spots open for San Fran, Denver, Cincy, DC/Boston.  When you look at it like this, I think our chances are better.
The Midwest and Mountain West areas are least represented but Mountain West does at least have Edmonton. 2/3 of the population can get to Cincinnati in 2 hours vs many of the other cities too.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »
On paper, Nashville should get it...however Nashvilles growth has moved faster than its supply of basic amenities.  Hotel rooms are not what they need to be, hour waits at restaurants anywhere within a half mile of broadway.  Their hotel room situation actually may be Nashvilles demise

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:14 AM »
^This is 8 years from now, so there is time for any city to make changes needed to host an event like this.

Offline AmrapinVA

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
This is not a Cleveland vs Cincy thing for me. Itís a corrupt FIFA/US Soccer thing. The fact that cities like Chicago and Vancouver walked away speaks volumes about the bidding process. FIFA looks at money first, everything else second. Letís not kid ourselves.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
It speaks to the giganticness of college football that we have many 100,000-seat stadiums that aren't going to be used.  According to Wikipedia, the biggest proposed venue for the 2026 World Cup, The Rose Bowl, has 90,800 seats.  It is merely the 12th largest college football stadium.  None of the 11 bigger stadiums are going to be used. 

We keep hearing from soccer people that "football is a dying sport", but they aren't willing to risk empty seats at the biggest tournament in the world when regular-season college football games usually sell out 100,000-seat stadiums.     

The big money for the World Cup is no doubt from TV rights, not butts in the seats, but still my point stands. 

Offline troeros

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
It speaks to the giganticness of college football that we have many 100,000-seat stadiums that aren't going to be used.  According to Wikipedia, the biggest proposed venue for the 2026 World Cup, The Rose Bowl, has 90,800 seats.  It is merely the 12th largest college football stadium.  None of the 11 bigger stadiums are going to be used. 

We keep hearing from soccer people that "football is a dying sport", but they aren't willing to risk empty seats at the biggest tournament in the world when regular-season college football games usually sell out 100,000-seat stadiums.     

The big money for the World Cup is no doubt from TV rights, not butts in the seats, but still my point stands.

Well the ticket prices are vastly different. For an OSU football match (against a key opponent) would cost you roughly 150$ dollars...World Cup tickets start at around 450-500$ for the early matches, and climb to over a 1,000$ for the later round matches.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
The fact that the Bengals are selling season tickets for $200 speaks volumes. The NFL is really struggling. College football is a different animal entirely.

The World Cup this year in Russia will only have two stadiums that have over 48k capacity. Majority are around 40-45k. The US shouldn't expect to sell out every game with a 100k capacity stadium for each match. Like troeros said, World Cup tickets are expensive.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Maybe some of those larger facilities are not FIFA compliant and do nto want to bother becoming so. Michigan, Ohio State for example don't have grass, and maybe don't meet field dimensions.

UT, A&M, Bama, Penn State, LSU maybe don't want to bother and are not in big enough metro areas. I would think Happy Valley or Tuscolusa or College Station is  not a place to draw tourists from other countries.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
OSU did grass for a big soccer event a few years back. It can't be permanent since the stadium walls block out the sun for too many hours per day.

Online edale

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 11:09:46 AM »
I heard seats with backs was a requirement for FIFA, so that would rule out most of the big college stadiums. OSU and Michigan both have bleachers (which is how they have such high capacities anyways) so they would not have even been considered. The Rose Bowl and Colliseum both have real seats.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
FIFA does require seats with backs. They don't allow general admission seating for the World Cup. Also, most of the stadiums proposed don't have natural grass. Grass would have to be brought in for the matches in most stadiums in the US.

They also wouldn't allow any odd field dimensions. Soccer fields are wider than football fields, so some stadiums would require physical modifications to reach a configuration. That could rule out some college stadiums like OSU and Michigan.

MLS and USL aren't as picky about dimensions, but still have minimum and maximum dimensions that they sometimes waive.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
^Most foreign team fans, I assume, will actually be current U.S. residents or first-generation U.S. citizens.  The overwhelming majority of butts in the seats at all games will be U.S. citizens.  We aren't going to see 50,000 people travel to the United States from the wealthy countries like England and Germany.  It'll be more like 10,000. 

The fact that the Bengals are selling season tickets for $200 speaks volumes. The NFL is really struggling. College football is a different animal entirely.

The average NFL regular season game has 14 million viewers.  The least-watched Bengals game of 2017 had 8 million viewers.  Meanwhile, the top MLS TV audience of all time was about 1 million with the average audience around 250,000. 

Also, top cricket matches get many more viewers than the World Series (especially since cricket is huge in India).  For whatever reason, soccer proponents in the United States have picked a fight with football, specifically, even though the seasons barely overlap.  But soccer boosters don't make a big deal out of cricket, even though it is much more of a world sport than is baseball.   

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »
If you look at Facebook or Twitter replies to anything the enquirer posts about FC Cincinnati, a bunch of people with Bengals related profile photos, people holding fish, or closeups of their dogs are commenting saying things like "that's not a real sport" or "who cares". Soccer has always been looked down upon by fans of other sports in the United States, and I think soccer fans have developed a distaste for the NFL because they are the main fanbases that continue this war.

Also, I agree that a vast majority of attendees at the World Cup in 2026 will be US citizens. But the World Cup is entirely different from MLS or the NFL. Over 25 Million in the United States watched the World Cup final in 2014. A game between Portugal and Germany. I know those aren't Super Bowl numbers, but it's impressive for a sport that Americans don't usually think about.

NFL rating are down 9.7% 2016-2017. TV ratings were down 9.2% from 2015-16. I'm not saying Football is dead, but the NFL is in a bad spot. It's a ripe time for soccer to gain popularity. It's a shame the United States isn't in the World Cup again.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
If you look at Facebook or Twitter replies to anything the enquirer posts about FC Cincinnati, a bunch of people with Bengals related profile photos, people holding fish, or closeups of their dogs are commenting saying things like "that's not a real sport" or "who cares".

Real Men

Offline cincydave8

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »

What exactly is your point? That football is more popular than soccer in this country? That's obvious, it's also obvious to the NFL and NCAA that football is hurting. NFL ratings are down and college football attendance is on a downward spiral. There are tons of reasons why for this (length of game, lack of action, concussions). I personally love watching the Bengals and I love soccer, but I'm also realistic in where sports viewership and participation is going in this country.

The following cities of college football stadiums over 100,000: Ann Arbor, State College, Columbus, College Station, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa and Austin.  Almost all of those are immediately eliminated based on the city size. Columbus and Austin survive. The United Bid is rating cities beyond stadium size including but not limited to the size of airport (especially international flights), ability to host big events, infrastructure, hotel accommodations and public transit. United Bid also wants cities with a current soccer culture. Cities also need soccer training grounds and ability to have multiple nations practice on multiple top level soccer grounds. When you start thinking about this bigger picture is obvious why places like State College weren't even considered because it's not just about stadium size. It's about hosting a major soccer event over the course of several days or even weeks.

I'd be shocked if Cincinnati made the final cut to host a game but I think it's a safe bet that we're going to be hosting a team or two.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:59:10 PM by cincydave8 »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the NFL needs to be worried, or the NBA, but MLB is in soccer's crosshairs.
1) they overlap seasons already and
2) There are more and more kids playing soccer and fewer playing baseball year over year.

When I was growing up, everyone had to play baseball. It was a requirement of growing up. If you didn't you lost some sort of man card and you missed part of your childhood and friendships and the like. Soccer was there and people played in the fall, but baseball was life.

Now, it almost seems like it is reversed with everyone playing soccer and baseball teams struggle to get enough to play.

Online tastybunns

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2018, 11:25:33 PM »
Cleveland will get the deal like the amazon bid

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2018, 11:52:45 PM »
I'm not a big fan of soccer, and this article articulates my reasons quite well.

https://www.brotherlygame.com/2014/1/20/5306238/the-role-of-luck-and-defense-in-soccer

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2018, 02:51:41 AM »
^The thing about the gigantic baseball regular season is that it actually determines who has the best team in a division, almost all of the time.  Baseball's season and post-season probe the depth of teams like no other sport.  But even with a 7-game World Series with a variety of different pitchers, and almost every player on the roster getting some playing time, crazy stuff happens. 

I watched this live:

In soccer, basketball, and football, teams run the same starting lineup out there for every game and barring injuries they plug in the same subs.  Baseball is totally singular with the rotating cast of starting pitchers and relievers, plus benching the catcher every 5 days, platoon situations, etc. 

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »

I attended the Gold Cup in Charlotte a few years back and it was a similar scene.  Great tailgating party with loads of street tacos and cervesa!