PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 285660 times)

Clefan98, unusualfire, freefourur, Sir2geez (+ 1 Hidden) and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #13830 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
^ I'd wager most of the users of this forum are all for raising gas taxes as a means to fund roads, myself included. Could this be Trump's most popular idea (here) yet?

IMO the gas tax should be adjusted annually based upon gas prices and inflation, not unlike the IRS reimbursement rate for business mileage. It is, of course, a wildly unpopular idea and the only reason it hasn't been raised in 2+ decades is that few politicians have the gall to make such a proposal. President Trump very well may be the perfect person to push such an unpopular idea through.

I fully support raising the gas tax and pegging it to the price of fuel.

The reason I oppose this in this particular context is that that would reduce the tax when gas prices fall, which means the tax goes down just as people are likely to be driving more, and then goes up when people are likely to be driving less.

Fair point and I thought about that after I posted it. 

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13831 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
^I'm going to be honest, and I'm not defending him, but President Trump may not even remember signing it

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13832 on: February 15, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/politics/trumps-inaugural-committee-paid-26-million-to-first-ladys-friend.html?mtrref=www.reddit.com

President Trump’s inaugural committee paid nearly $26 million to an event planning firm started by an adviser to the first lady, Melania Trump, while donating $5 million — less than expected — to charity, according to tax filings released on Thursday.

Even Melania wants in on the corruption.

Offline jonoh81

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #13833 on: February 15, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/politics/trumps-inaugural-committee-paid-26-million-to-first-ladys-friend.html?mtrref=www.reddit.com

President Trump’s inaugural committee paid nearly $26 million to an event planning firm started by an adviser to the first lady, Melania Trump, while donating $5 million — less than expected — to charity, according to tax filings released on Thursday.

Even Melania wants in on the corruption.

I'm not a big fan of hers, of course, but I kind of feel like hey, if it's now a free for all, at least she should get something for having to sleep with that orange sherbet in a sausage skin of a human. 

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13834 on: February 15, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
Of course there are perks for her.  She knew what she signed up for.

Online Sir2geez

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #13835 on: February 15, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »
Rick Gates close to pleaing/flipping. This makes three cooperating witnesses for Mueller. Gates was deputy campaign manager, part of the transition team and was on the inaugural committee.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13836 on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »

She most certainly did...

Honestly though, $26 million to plan an event as widely attended/observed as the inauguration doesn't seem like that much money. By some accounts, it was the most watched inaugartion of all time.  Further, the fact that it was all funded via private donations really makes this a non-story.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13837 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
I bet the Post got the scoop from John Barron.

Online bumsquare

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #13838 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »

By some accounts, it was the most watched inaugartion of all time.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Offline TheCOV

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #13839 on: February 15, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »

By some accounts, it was the most watched inaugartion of all time.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

By some accounts = only Trump

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #13840 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »
JUST IN: FCC official probing whether Ajit Pai improperly changed rules to help Sinclair Broadcast Group: report https://t.co/Z8ij1Igb0Y
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13841 on: February 16, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
Air traffic control is one area where government excels (even though they are slow to implement new technology).  The aviation business has had an amazing run of safe flying...yet Trump wants to hand over air traffic control operations to a private company.  I'm sure he has a "friend" in the business who stands to make billions!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/12/trump-budget-continues-support-air-traffic-control-privatization/324331002/

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13842 on: February 16, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
Air traffic control is one area where government excels (even though they are slow to implement new technology).  The aviation business has had an amazing run of safe flying...yet Trump wants to hand over air traffic control operations to a private company.  I'm sure he has a "friend" in the business who stands to make billions!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/12/trump-budget-continues-support-air-traffic-control-privatization/324331002/

The long term goal is to eliminate areas of government competence.  If people get rich along the way, that's gravy.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • BANNED
« Reply #13843 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:04 AM »
Trump wants to hand over air traffic control operations to a private company.  I'm sure he has a "friend" in the business who stands to make billions!

In a lot of cases, I'm all for privatization. I just don't see the point in privatization unless you have more than one company competing against each other in the same space. That's what drives innovation and efficiency.

How would handing it over to one company make it any better? When have non-profits been on the cutting edge of technology?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:27:45 AM by David »

Online Sir2geez

« Reply #13844 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »

How many women has Trump paid? I don't care about extramarital affairs...I'm concerned the President of the United States is vulnerable to blackmail.

Donald Trump, a Playboy Model, and a System for Concealing Infidelity

The interactions that McDougal outlines in the document share striking similarities with the stories of other women who claim to have had sexual relationships with Trump, or who have accused him of propositioning them for sex or sexually harassing them. McDougal describes their affair as entirely consensual. But her account provides a detailed look at how Trump and his allies used clandestine hotel-room meetings, payoffs, and complex legal agreements to keep affairs—sometimes multiple affairs he carried out simultaneously—out of the press.

On November 4, 2016, four days before the election, the Wall Street Journal reported that American Media, Inc., the publisher of the National Enquirer, had paid a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for exclusive rights to McDougal’s story, which it never ran.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trump-a-playboy-model-and-a-system-for-concealing-infidelity-national-enquirer-karen-mcdougal

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13845 on: February 16, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
^It's impossible to blackmail someone that doesn't care about the information being released. To any other POTUS, this would've been an issue.

Offline jonoh81

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #13846 on: February 16, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
^It's impossible to blackmail someone that doesn't care about the information being released. To any other POTUS, this would've been an issue.

99.9% of the scandals that have occurred around this guy would've been a big issue for any other president.  Trump gets a pass because he has millions of sycophants who are willing to do or say anything for him.  I just don't get it.  What is the appeal of this man?  He's not some average guy connecting to the masses.  Even disregarding all the other problems, he's just some loudmouth, overprivileged billionaire who couldn't give a crap about anyone but himself.  Is this really what a lot of conservatives aspire to?  Being at least a moderate conservative yourself, what is your insight on why so many people have lost their minds for him?  He's not even charismatic in a way that other cult leaders have been.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13847 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
Rick Gates close to pleaing/flipping. This makes three cooperating witnesses for Mueller. Gates was deputy campaign manager, part of the transition team and was on the inaugural committee.

Funny, I thought this was a nothingburger investigation.

Trumpies - care to weigh in?

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13848 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
So guys, if I may, I'd like to add my legal two cents to the Gates plea deal...

1. Both Gates and Manafort went into this with an aggressive posture - as an attorney, I advise that when the facts manifest themselves in a way that provides us a strong defense. It's quite idiotic to posture when you have no facts in your favor, and I'm assuming Gates has a capable defense team - therefore, they went into this believing they'd get out of it unscathed.

2. The charge will be telling. If Gates accepts a felony plea, essentially destroying his prospects of future employment, then Mueller came in guns loaded. By the mere fact that he's entering into a plea agreement, I will assume it's a felony. If it is another "Lying to the FBI" then that tells us that Gates is leveraged against Manafort. If it is something beyond that, like Obstructing Justice, Interference with Police Activities, etc. etc., then we will likely see "inner-ring" members in the line of fire next.

3. Consider this, pleas are usually entertained in two circumstances: 1. When the person is a professional - and although holds himself out to be innocent - has much to lose by being convicted of a felony, so takes a reduced misdemeanor charge; and 2. When there is overwhelming evidence against him and he is seeking to mitigate his losses.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13849 on: February 16, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »

99.9% of the scandals that have occurred around this guy would've been a big issue for any other president.  Trump gets a pass because he has millions of sycophants who are willing to do or say anything for him.  I just don't get it.  What is the appeal of this man?  He's not some average guy connecting to the masses.  Even disregarding all the other problems, he's just some loudmouth, overprivileged billionaire who couldn't give a crap about anyone but himself.  Is this really what a lot of conservatives aspire to?  Being at least a moderate conservative yourself, what is your insight on why so many people have lost their minds for him?  He's not even charismatic in a way that other cult leaders have been.

It's simple. People hate liberals more than they love their country. Nothing else to it. "Triggering snowflakes" has become a sport of sorts for the less intellectually capable on the right - driven by a blind hatred for the left.

I think many progressive policies are harmful to the country. Nonetheless, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that my political positions are 100% correct, and there are not issues that the Left has right and I have wrong. We may have been this polarized a handful of times in our history, but I'm unsure that we've ever had a time in our history where so many people absolutely knew that they were right and others were wrong.

That's why (call me an elitist all you want) I actually think it's not the best thing that more people have access to the internet now, as many people are not educated and nuanced enough to properly process that information.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:29:58 AM by YABO713 »

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13850 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »

It's simple. People hate liberals more than they love their country. Nothing else to it. "Triggering snowflakes" has become a sport of sorts for the less intellectually capable on the right - driven by a blind hatred for the left.

I've been saying this for almost a year on here. 

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13851 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »

Well Trumpies, the witch hunt has continued with more indictments.  I wonder if Trump will start believing in facts yet.  It's almost like he has something to hide.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #13852 on: February 16, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
He won't direct US intelligence services to do anything to protect our electoral system from Russian interference, which everyone except him and his most rabid supporters acknowledge as fact.  This is essentially the 21st century version of opening the gates of the fort to an invader.  I think Trump has to be seen as an imminent threat to our Republic.

Offline jonoh81

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #13853 on: February 16, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »

I think many progressive policies are harmful to the country. Nonetheless, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that my political positions are 100% correct, and there are not issues that the Left has right and I have wrong. We may have been this polarized a handful of times in our history, but I'm unsure that we've ever had a time in our history where so many people absolutely knew that they were right and others were wrong.

That's why (call me an elitist all you want) I actually think it's not the best thing that more people have access to the internet now, as many people are not educated and nuanced enough to properly process that information.

I've said before that I hate Trump, and that's true.  I can't honestly say that I've ever felt that about anyone so thoroughly before, and I've never met the man.  Certainly no previous president has earned such a strongly negative reaction from me, Republican or Democrat.  I've considered the possibility that my own biases are clouding my judgement on him, because views should always include some introspection and consideration that you're just plain wrong.  I just don't think that's the case, though.  The guy is bad news top to bottom, and he makes a mockery of everything decent and good about America.  I think that's what is so offensive to me.  I've never been a rah-rah go America kind of patriot.  I could often be seen rolling my eyes on July 4th, because I've never been the kind of person to be blindly loyal to anything.  I cringe at the flag-waving nonsense that the US wraps itself in sometimes.  But all that aside, I have deep respect for the foundations of the country, however imperfectly managed and implemented those foundations have been through history.  I admire the virtues that, although sometimes lacking, we strived for.  All of those things seem to be disintegrating before my eyes, and it's a tough thing to watch. 
The fact that I basically see the same thing as you do, where supposed "true Americans" give not a care for the harm they're doing their own country just so they can laugh at their political opponents and push their buttons, is not only angering, but immensely disheartening.  How did it come to this?  Where did it all go so wrong?  In all other times of major social/political disagreement, I think generally both sides still thought that their ideas were what was best for the country.  I no longer believe that both sides have those interests in mind.  The only question left is, what next? 
Information is not the problem.  I don't think there is a problem of too many facts.  The problem today is that much of the information that being pushed has no actual facts, and is used to further a specific agenda.  And yes, many people are not educated enough to parse fact from fiction, or not interested enough to look past confirmation bias.  But that's not a problem with the internet, but education.  Education in the US is, frankly, quite poor for such a wealthy nation, and the focus on quality education has only been in decline.  Cuts to public education, undermining teachers, pushing for the denial of basic facts and science... sorry to say, but the vast majority of that is coming from Republicans.  Both parties stand to gain from an easily-manipulated, ignorant populace, but the scale is heavily tipped towards the conservative side being the bigger beneficiary in recent years.  I think Trump's rise is merely the inevitable result of a long-term effort to divide and conquer, not just through misinformation, but through the watering down of critical thought. 
You and I are on the opposite side of many policies, and I'm sure we vehemently disagree on many individual issues, but that's okay, because I recognize that we're capable of having a real discussion about those issues and reaching a potential consensus.  I honestly don't feel that way whatsoever with Trump supporters or the conservatives that have otherwise stood by and allowed the movement to be so thoroughly compromised by complacency.  They are just as guilty for what's happening now as anyone else. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:19:29 PM by jonoh81 »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #13854 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
from the nytimes.com
13 Russians Indicted in First Charges on 2016 Election Interference
Sharon LaFraniere

WASHINGTON — The special counsel investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election charged 13 Russian nationals and three Russian organizations on Friday with illegally using social media platforms to sow political discord, including actions that supported the presidential candidacy of Donald Trump and disparaged his opponent, Hillary Clinton.

The indictment represents the first charges by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, for meddling in the 2016 presidential election — the fundamental crime that he was assigned to investigate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/politics/russians-indicted-mueller-election-interference.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=66535538&pgtype=Homepage

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13855 on: February 16, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
Mueller Ain't Going Anywhere #MAGA

Offline jonoh81

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #13856 on: February 16, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »

I'm already seeing the 700th declaration by the Right that these indictments mean the investigation is over now and this is all nothing.

Online Sir2geez

« Reply #13857 on: February 16, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »

I'm already seeing the 700th declaration by the Right that these indictments mean the investigation is over now and this is all nothing.

Lol...

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13858 on: February 16, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/trump-terrible-week-analysis/index.html

Even by Trump standards this was a ***** week for The Cheeto:

-Special Counsel Robert Mueller issues 13 indictments of Russian nationals for meddling in the 2016 election.
-Rick Gates is nearing a plea deal with Mueller.
-Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen admits he (Cohen) is the one who paid Stormy Daniels $130K to keep quiet about Trump's affair with her.
-Details of an alleged affair with Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal are published.
-FBI Director Chris Wray directly refutes the White House story on Rob Porter.  The Porter scandal spills into a second week as White House officials can't present a consistent story or timeline.
-EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt admits to flying first class on the dime of taxpayers because he doesn't want to hear from voters or talk to them on flights.
-An inspector general's report shows that Veterans Administration head David Shulkin's chief of staff doctored an email and made a series of false statements in order to justify the use of government funds for Shulkin's wife to accompany him on a trip to Europe in 2017.

ANY OTHER PERSON and all of this is a bigger deal.

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13859 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
Still not as troubling as Obama and his tan suit.