Author Topic: Tiny houses  (Read 3390 times)

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Tiny houses
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »
Columbus has a long history of welcoming refugees. Lao (Laos,) Cambodian, Vietnamese, Somali, etc. There's a lot of enclaves. They just aren't failed attempts at neighborhood branding.
What do you mean by "neighborhood" branding.  Our neighborhoods have generally been places where people from certain countries, ethnicities gather and set down roots.  Some of those area's are still in tact. 
Little Itally (we had 2/3 of those),
The area in the 30, before construction of the inner belt had Italian (Big Italy) & German neighborhoods
China Town. 
Slavic Village = Polish
Northern Ohio City = Irish
Southern Ohio City = German
Newburgh, & St. Clair Superior = Slovakian, Croation or Slovenian
Ukranian = by the zoo
Hungarians = buckeye/woodhill
Kinsman and Hough were Jewish

I could go on.

today Little Italy, Collinwood, Tremont, Ohio City, Asian Village, Detroit Shoreway, Slavic Village, Brooklyn Center, still have their ethnic roots.  In other areas new groups pop up like along Lorain.  My uncle went to Lincoln-West when it first opened, he was one of the few non white kids.  When my cousins attended Lincoln west in the 80s it went from primarily Irish, Polish, German.  Now the area and school is mostly Latin.  Mexican, PR, Panamanian, Salvadorian, Cuban now Colombian and Venezuelan's area moving in.

My point is I could go to one of those areas and shop at a market for something ethnic.  For instance for a lot items on today's dinner menu, my mom and I had to shop on the Westside.  We cant get the cerdito in Shaker.  We can get the ingredients for pasteles in Shaker.  I wanted to get parranda for my Abuelo, neices and nephews, but they are hard to get.  We still have great ethnic neighborhoods in the city and in the burbs, like Euclid, Parma, Lakewood, that you can find ethnic wares and cuisine.  It's not just "branding" a neighborhood.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
By long history of welcoming refugees, I meant in the last 40 years up until now with the ethnicities I mentioned. I've been to Slavic Village, Buckeye-Woodhill, etc. All I see is a bunch of black people walking around. I don't see your point in any of this. No one in Northern Ohio City is priding themselves as Irish and no one in Southern Ohio City is identifying themselves as German. Most people in Cleveland have assimilated and basically just identify themselves by their race and as a Clevelander, more than anything.  Cleveland clearly has eastern European influence in its architecture and food but it's not like there's neighborhoods full of Polish or Ukranian people where one could travel there and experience their rich culture in 2016.  As far as Jews - every city has a rich Jewish suburb. Cincinnati has Amberly Village. Columbus has Bexley. Cleveland has Beachwood, etc. There's no sense in discussing what Kinsman and Hough or what any other place "were."

This discussion should be moved to another thread. Maybe Off-topic lol.

Can you all imagine if Columbus branded a neighborhood "Little Somali?" You can't actually do that anymore, if the ethnicity still lives there. Our culture is too PC, now.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:27:08 PM by David »

Online GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
MTS, you have to venture forth to the Morse Rd. area for the new ethnic enclaves. The area was mostly white when you were at OSU in the '80s.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
MTS, you have to venture forth to the Morse Rd. area for the new ethnic enclaves. The area was mostly white when you were at OSU in the '80s.

Like I said, within the last 40 years (after MTS graduated from college.)

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2017, 03:04:39 AM »
One level living right in the heart of Northside! Eat in kitchen w/stainless appliances, modern luxe bathroom + off street parking - everything you need and want! Walkable to the business district, parks, and greenspaces. Join Tiny House Nation and enjoy financial freedom, a simpler lifestyle, and limit your environmental footprint!

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1534282/4231-Mad-Anthony-St-Northside-OH-45223

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 08:12:26 AM »
That thing sold for $17,000 in 2015 and the hardwood floors needs sanding and refinishing.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
this should probably be on the hipsters thread, but apparantly tiny houses are passe in cali, #vanlife is all the rage and those old vw vans are particularly hot stuff:

AMERICAN CHRONICLES  APRIL 24, 2017 ISSUE

#VANLIFE, THE BOHEMIAN SOCIAL-MEDIA MOVEMENT

What began as an attempt at a simpler life quickly became a life-style brand.
By Rachel Monroe

Emily King and Corey Smith had been dating for five months when they took a trip to Central America, in February, 2012. At a surf resort in Nicaragua, Smith helped a lanky American named Foster Huntington repair the dings in his board. When the waves were choppy, the three congregated in the resort’s hammock zone, where the Wi-Fi signal was strongest. One afternoon, Huntington listened to the couple have a small argument. Something about their fond irritation made him think that they’d be suited to spending long periods of time together in a confined space. “You guys would be great in a van,” he told them.

more -- or less:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
Here is a nice overview of small-lot single-family homes in Japan:

It appears that the minimum lot size in Japan is about 650 square feet, so similar to the small lot ordinance in Los Angeles, although this video doesn't show any examples of row housing.  Not sure if it exists there or not. 

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:43 AM »
Home Depot now selling a yuppie backyard shack:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Studio-Shed-Telluride-12-ft-x-10-ft-Residential-Quality-Backyard-Studio-19197-8/301778430?cm_mmc=socialmedia|FY117|%20FY17%20|%20DD%20|DPA%20|%20D59%20|%20D59%20|&k_clickid=8342dc8c-0e57-481f-baa9-70f48774aa0b

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:09 AM »
Then there's all those "Free Buicks" from the early 2000s purchased new by seniors that are now almost exclusively driven by teens since nobody is willing to pay for them.

Okay, off topic I know, but seriously if someone wants to make some money they should buy/collect them up, fix them up, and ship them to China.   The reason Buick exists and Pontiac and Oldsmobile don't is mainly their popularity there.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 10:45:03 PM »
Here is a nice overview of small-lot single-family homes in Japan:

It appears that the minimum lot size in Japan is about 650 square feet, so similar to the small lot ordinance in Los Angeles, although this video doesn't show any examples of row housing.  Not sure if it exists there or not. 

pretty sure there are mostly only historic wood row houses from the edo era left (called nagaya as opposed to the classic old machiya homes).

Online SleepyLeroy

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
^^ Reminds me of Bruce Willis' apt in Fifth Element.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
Seems a good potential concept to handle our homeless crisis. The $15k price tag could come down considerably, I'd imagine.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
Yeah, I always wondered why the whole shipping-container-turned-house thing hasn't been done to help the homeless nationally.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2018, 03:43:46 PM »
Seems a good potential concept to handle our homeless crisis. The $15k price tag could come down considerably, I'd imagine.

I'm not sure about the R value of concrete pipe.  Might work in a southern climate but probably not in the snowy north. 

Online jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
It's basically nothing. These would have an R-value less than a typical window.

But as they're designed for Hong Kong, it makes sense.

There are a million options out there for super cheap methods of housing the homeless or those who don't want to have a ton of space or those who aren't making a ton of money and can't afford a traditional apartment but could afford some sort of pod.

But they're essentially entirely regulated out of the realm of possibility by zoning and building code, so there's really no point to having that conversation, at least in the US.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »