Author Topic: Voting  (Read 7067 times)

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Voting
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »
what is the state's definition for "inactive"?

https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/elections/directives/2017/dir2017-12_eom_ch_03.pdf

The “inactive” or “active-confirmation” voter status code is assigned to a
voter whenever the board has issued a confirmation card to that voter,
and the voter has not responded to the board of elections either to
confirm the information on file with the board or to provide to the board
of elections with updated information. Like a vote with an “active” status
code, a voter with an “inactive” or “active-confirmation” voter status
code is a fully qualified elector and eligible to engage in the activities of
a registered voter (i.e., sign a petition, request an absentee ballot, etc.)
and appears in the Signature Poll Book on Election Day. The “inactive” or
“active-confirmation” status is represented by the capital letter “I” when
appearing as a single alphanumeric digit in an electronic database.

Under Ohio rules, registered voters who fail to vote in a two-year period are targeted for eventual removal from registration rolls, even if they haven't moved and remain eligible. The state says it removes names only after local election boards send notices and there's no subsequent voting activity for the next four years.

Via - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-ohio-inactive-voters-supreme-court-20171231-story.html

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Honest question - is it now easier to buy and own a gun than it is to maintain your status as a registered voter in Ohio?

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
Honest question - is it now easier to buy and own a gun than it is to maintain your status as a registered voter in Ohio?
That's pretty funny because I was wondering the same thing the other day.  It's a good question.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
The SCOTUS ruling is so insane because not voting is also voicing an opinion - "I don't feel either candidate is worthy of my vote, so I'm abstaining."  Do that a couple times and miss a postcard in the mail and you're no longer a voter.  It's insanity.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
The SCOTUS ruling is so insane because not voting is also voicing an opinion - "I don't feel either candidate is worthy of my vote, so I'm abstaining."  Do that a couple times and miss a postcard in the mail and you're no longer a voter.  It's insanity.

You can abstain by not voting for any of the candidates. One year I didn't want to take either primary ballot, and there were no issues to vote on. I still showed up to get the blank ballot - mostly just for the novelty of doing it, but partially because I haven't missed an election in a very long time and didn't want to break my streak.

To buy a gun you have to go to a licensed dealer, fill out a Form 4473, wait as they perform a background check, pass the background check, and pay for the gun (including tax). To maintain your status as a registered voter you just have to either vote or spend 10 seconds filling out a postage paid postcard once every 6 years. Form 4473 in and of itself is far more complicated and cumbersome than the voter confirmation card, and it has to be filled out in person.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »

Re-registering isn't that hard, though.  Also, voting in state or local elections will still keep you on the rolls, IIRC (and if it doesn't, that ought to change).  And AFAIK Ohio still has universal (no-cause) absentee voting.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »

Re-registering isn't that hard, though.  Also, voting in state or local elections will still keep you on the rolls, IIRC (and if it doesn't, that ought to change).  And AFAIK Ohio still has universal (no-cause) absentee voting.

1) Why require the re-registering at all?  It's effing stupid.  Isn't this supposed to be a democracy where you want to hear from all citizens?  Why add the extra hoops?

2) There are 20K voters in Franklin County who are labeled as inactive despite voting in 2014 and/or 2016.

3) The solution is simple - automatic voter registration, like many other states are doing.  And/or same-day registration.  Guess which party opposes both of those?

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

The re-registration isn't the issue.   Most people don't know that they've been purged until they show up to vote or request an absentee ballot.  GOP performs better with lower turnout.  So instead of adopting a platform that is more popular they invent schemes to reduce voter turnout.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »
3) The solution is simple - automatic voter registration, like many other states are doing.  And/or same-day registration.  Guess which party opposes both of those?

You seriously don't see any possible problems with either of those?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »

https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/case-automatic-voter-registration

Universal registration of all Americans is the ultimate goal of this approach, which would:

-Add up to 50 million eligible voters to the rolls, permanently;
-Save money;
-Increase accuracy; and
-Improve the security of our elections.

16 states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming—plus the District of Columbia, currently or will soon permit Election Day registration, which allows voters to register or update their existing registration on Election Day.

The idea of "purging" voter rolls using only non-voting activity and a postcard as the triggers is asinine.  It's a clear violation of the National Voter Registration Act, which says that people may not be purged from the voter rolls because of their failure to vote.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
GOP performs better with lower turnout.

Only one party is in the business of voter disenfranchisement.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

If voter rolls are to be purged with a simple post card, then registration should be allowed though election day. We should be doing everything we can to encourage voting.

Offline Foraker

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »

To buy a gun you have to go to a licensed dealer, fill out a Form 4473, wait as they perform a background check, pass the background check, and pay for the gun (including tax). To maintain your status as a registered voter you just have to either vote or spend 10 seconds filling out a postage paid postcard once every 6 years. Form 4473 in and of itself is far more complicated and cumbersome than the voter confirmation card, and it has to be filled out in person.

I agree, the procedure for buying a gun in the first place requires a more complicated form than the procedure for maintaining an existing voter registration. 
But what do you have to do to maintain the right to continue to own that gun?  Not commit a felony?  I would hope that that would be easier than returning a postcard... 

I think the Supreme Court got it right this time, but I also think that we ought to have automatic voter registration whenever have any interaction with the government that requires an address verification or opportunity to update your address, such as obtaining or renewing a state id or driver's license, or paying your taxes.

Offline DEPACincy

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

Unless you buy from a private seller, then you literally don't have to do anything. I guess you still have to pay for the gun.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/391786-judge-denies-retrial-for-texas-woman-who-got-5-years-for-voting

Woman who received a five year prison sentence for I'll all casting a ballot (which didn't count) denied motion for new trial.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
http://theweek.com/speedreads/778915/republican-judge-who-once-supported-voter-laws-admits-that-studying-history-changed-mind

North Carolina Republican Bob Orr, formerly a member of the state Supreme Court, announced in an editorial published in The Charlotte Observer on Wednesday that after considering the history of the Reconstruction era, he no longer supports voter ID laws.

Republican judge changes mind on voter ID laws after studying history.  Maybe more Republicans should study history.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/391786-judge-denies-retrial-for-texas-woman-who-got-5-years-for-voting

Woman who received a five year prison sentence for I'll all casting a ballot (which didn't count) denied motion for new trial.

Why does it matter that her vote didn't count? It didn't count because she was caught breaking the law. Using that as a part of an excuse is like saying you shouldn't be punished for robbing a bank if you didn't manage to get away with the cash. The fact that you failed to successfully pull off a crime doesn't mean you didn't commit that crime.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

Why does it matter that her vote didn't count? It didn't count because she was caught breaking the law. Using that as a part of an excuse is like saying you shouldn't be punished for robbing a bank if you didn't manage to get away with the cash. The fact that you failed to successfully pull off a crime doesn't mean you didn't commit that crime.

We've already covered this case in this thread, but in case you forgot:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-felon-voting_us_5abe5ad4e4b0f112dc9bd00f

She was on supervised release from a previous charge, no one told her it was illegal for her to cast a ballot, and a poll worker helped walk her through her ballot.

"She was never told she couldn't vote. Not by a district judge. Not by anyone at the half-way house where she lived after she got out. Not by the probation officer."

In the SAME COUNTY:

Russ Casey, a Tarrant County justice of the peace, turned in forged signatures to meet the threshold to get on the this year’s ballot for re-election. Casey pleaded guilty to tampering with a government record, but his two-year prison sentence was suspended and he was put on five years of probation. He also was forced to resign his office, fined $1,000 and agreed to stay away from government buildings.

A white man who personally benefited from voter fraud got no prison time.  A black woman who didn't know she was ineligible to vote got five years for casting a provisional ballot.  Same county.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
^ No one has ever explicitly told me not to rob a bank - I wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse if I were to get caught robbing a bank. Ignorance of the law has never been an acceptable defense.

A white man who personally benefited from voter fraud got no prison time.  A black woman who didn't know she was ineligible to vote got five years for casting a provisional ballot.  Same county.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't this a completely different crime? Was this guy also a felon out on probation?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
You think voting while on supervised release is a WORSE crime than forging signatures / tampering with a government record??

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »
^ No one has ever explicitly told me not to rob a bank - I wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse if I were to get caught robbing a bank. Ignorance of the law has never been an acceptable defense.

You don't seriously think those are the same, do you?  It's always illegal to rob a bank for everybody.  Most American adults are legally allowed to vote.  If it's going to be a crime to do something that is legal for everyone else, you'd at least think they'd let her know up front.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
SCOTUS ruling on Ohio voter purging, celebrated by Trump, "will further erode the voting power of people who live in cities... (such as) Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus." via @brentinmock #VoterSuppression #WarOnDemocracy https://t.co/fUcfKwmMsk
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
Think there will be a blue wave in Ohio this November? Not if they can't vote. Put it on your calendar this week to register (or re-register).....

@ohvoterproject
These are the number of people in Ohio by age group that are in Inactive status.  In other words, these are the people who can be purged
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:02:29 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
Think there will be a blue wave in Ohio this November? Not if they can't vote. Put it on your calendar this week to register (or re-register).....

@ohvoterproject
These are the number of people in Ohio by age group that are in Inactive status.  In other words, these are the people who can be purged

In light of the SCOTUS decision - are these people who have been sent the mailer?  Or are these the people who could be purged if they don't vote in the next two election cycles?  I think some clarity is needed on that "inactive" column.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
40,000 Cuyahoga citizens were purged from the voter rolls. Encourage your family and friends to doublecheck their registrations! http://ow.ly/jdUN30klCeX 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
SPREAD THE WORD!!!!

Everyone -- before Election Day creeps up, please click this link and make sure you are on the voter roll: https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote

NBC News: https://t.co/naTEU5WnIu

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »
This is very telling of the GOP's priorities. Senate Republicans have no problem exploding the deficit to deliver $1.5 trillion in tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, but can't muster additional funding to protect our democracy....

50-47:Senate defeats Democrats plan to provide $250M for state election security grants for 2019 to protect future elections on near party line vote.Corker only Republican to vote Yes. Leahy amdt to 4-bill spending package needed 60 votes to pass. Burr Flake & McCain didn't vote.
https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1024684563149348865

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
https://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/automatic_voter_registration_i.html

Massachusetts becomes 14th state to pass automatic voter registration - process will start 1/1/2020.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
An 11-Year-Old Changed The Results Of Florida's Presidential Vote At A Hacker Convention.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kevincollier/voting-hackers-defcon-failures-manufacturers-ess