PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: West End: Development and News  (Read 4987 times)

Offline TroyEros

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cincinnati: West End: Development and News
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:26 PM »
Correct! That's the one.

There's even reports and pictures of the horses and they are skinny as hell.

Again, the city is really good at giving traffic tickets and getting your car towed, but having a huge farm like this, with junk everywhere, and horses that are treated poorly, and not even one single citation? That's seriously messed up.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
Well... that is most strange.

Those parcels are mostly owned by James Macke and are zoned "industrial"... which doesn't seem like it would allow for keeping of livestock.

http://wedge3.hcauditor.org/view/re/1330006004100/2015/summary

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »
This is the stable that houses the carriage horses for downtown.

Every once in awhile there is a Facebook flair up with people alleging the animals are being abused by being housed there, but the facility is inspected by the SPCA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/carriage-horses-focus-of-cruelty-debate-/5439297/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:06:31 PM by thebillshark »

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »
There's probably language in various city ordinances from the days of slaughterhouses that allow for such things. 

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
Here's an old article with a quote from Jim Macke who manages (or managed) the horses: http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/08/12/loc_wwwloc5meyer12.html

Offline greatgooglymoogly

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
This is the stable that houses the carriage horses for downtown.

Every once in awhile there is a Facebook flair up with people alleging the animals are being abused by being housed there, but the facility is inspected by the SPCA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/carriage-horses-focus-of-cruelty-debate-/5439297/

The flare-ups usually regard the cruelty of horse-drawn carriages operating on busy city streets, not where the animals are housed.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »
Apartments open in former West End school

Sands Montessori School on Poplar Street in the West End has new life.

The former school at 940 Poplar St. opened last week as the Sands Senior Apartments.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/11/14/apartments-open-in-former-west-end-school.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »
^That flew under the radar. I remember discussion of it, but don't remember it actually starting construction.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
I work a block away and drive by that building a lot and I had no idea that much of anything was going on. I knew it was being renovated but it's been awfully quiet over here.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
Over neighborhood objections, panel OKs change needed for St. Vincent de Paul expansion

St. Vincent de Paul, a social service agency offering food, a pharmacy, dental and eye clinics, counseling, and other services, will expand in a new building across the street from its current site in Cincinnati’s West End under zoning changes unanimously approved by the Cincinnati Planning Commission on Friday.

Some West End residents and the neighborhood’s council objected to the decision, saying that the West End is oversaturated with social services. St. Vincent de Paul has been at its current facility at 1125 Bank St. since 1962, but other social services that had been in Over-the-Rhine have moved west as that neighborhood has redeveloped.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/16/over-neighborhood-objections-panel-oks-change.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline oakiehigh

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Glad to see Deeper Roots moving their production facility to the West End:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/10/exclusive-cincinnati-coffee-roaster-moving.html

Combined with the new coffee shop they're opening next to Findlay Market, they're going to have a much stronger presence in the urban basin.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
21-unit condo redevelopment announced for the strip of buildings in the 400-block of Wade St.  This is between Central Ave. and John St., right behind the Cincinnati Ballet's building on Central Parkway. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:00:06 PM by jmecklenborg »

Offline oudd

• Global Moderator
  • Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
I never noticed that tiny stretch of non-destroyed West End. Seems so random to have that cluster of buildings while pretty much everything else old south of Liberty aside from Betts-Longworth was demolished.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
I never noticed that tiny stretch of non-destroyed West End. Seems so random to have that cluster of buildings while pretty much everything else old south of Liberty aside from Betts-Longworth was demolished.

Almost everything on the west side of John St. was demolished but the blocks between John and Central Parkway weren't touched by urban renewal.  But there will still a lot of tear-downs...the Taft High School stadium obviously used to be row buildings and in fact the parcels all still exist.  If you look at historic aerials you will see a pretty amazing narrow but 400-foot long building that created a "T" in the center of the block south of Wade St.  The property is now owned by the Jehova's Witnesses.  The 400-foot mid-block lot is still there but the bottom of the T is in the CPS stadium property. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
According to the auditor's website, "HOAMTDD REAL ESTATE, LLC" bought this property on April 29, 2016 for $25,000.

Now listed for...$500k!
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1533242/514-Oliver-St-Cincinnati-OH-45214

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
^ I saw that listed and couldn't believe it. I looked it up on CAGIS and it looks like they did do some renovation work, but they had a lot of problems getting their permits and inspections so I don't know how professional a job it was. I also kind of doubt it was $475,000 worth of renovations.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
^ I saw that listed and couldn't believe it. I looked it up on CAGIS and it looks like they did do some renovation work, but they had a lot of problems getting their permits and inspections so I don't know how professional a job it was. I also kind of doubt it was $475,000 worth of renovations.

It's in an island of nothing, not an area of "rapid redevelopment" as they claim. 

Online SleepyLeroy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »

It's in an island of nothing, not an area of "rapid redevelopment" as they claim.

and only 20min to Kenwood Town Center!!

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
$5 million office project coming close to downtown

A full-service international research and consulting company is building a $5 million office building near downtown in Cincinnati’s West End.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/27/5-million-office-project-coming-close-to-downtown.html

Offline oakiehigh

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Anyone able to make it to the First German Reformed Church clean out?  I thought it was this past weekend that OTR ADOPT was having it?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:44:55 PM by oakiehigh »

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
The site layout for the new Messer construction headquarters is bad. The building is smashed up against the highway with a Walmart sized parking lot between it and Court Street.  It's exactly the opposite of how it should be. To top it off there is a fence around the whole complex. Two streets were removed from the streetgrid to accommodate this.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:38:04 PM by thebillshark »

Offline TroyEros

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
Well it's not exactly like the west end is full of parking garages for these employees to safely park in.

If the lot is truly that big is it possible for messer to absorb the parking spaces towards further expansion of the hq?

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
^Yes, I remember reading there are plans for a Phase 2 but as of now the building, though it looks nice, doesn't address any of the surrounding streets.

Looking at it from another side of things, perhaps nighttime/early morning security was a main concern in that location. It is good they invested in the city.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:38:23 PM by thebillshark »

Offline nicker66

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
Messer's Cincinnati Operations branch is in a separate building from their national headquarters.  Phase 2 calls for a new Cincinnati Ops building on their West End campus if they ever decide to move from Pleasant Ridge.  It will be closer to the neighborhood so all the parking is in the middle.

I usually cringe when people say "it is better than nothing" but this is one site where I'd have to agree.  Look what it replaced.  Density is never in the cards for that site. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:02:06 AM by nicker66 »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
Messer Construction moves into concrete-infused, $14 million HQ

Messer Construction Co., the largest general contractor in Greater Cincinnati, has moved into its new headquarters in the West End.

Tom Keckeis, CEO of Messer, said the new space, an investment of about $14 million, has the look and feel the company wanted when it decided it needed to move.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/15/messer-construction-moves-into-concrete-infused-14.html

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
Does anybody know the history of the apartments south of Ezzard Charles Drive, between I-75 and Linn Street? They are called The Arts at Music Hall. This is the blurb on their website:

Located just off I-75, mere minutes from the Ohio River, The Arts Apartments at Music Hall provides residents with easy access to entertainment, shopping, education, transportation, and job opportunities near the center of Cincinnati's urban renewal.

The fact that they are named after Music Hall, despite being 3/4 mile from Music Hall, and their website uses the term "urban renewal" ... makes me think that these were something out of the Queensgate II era.

Online SleepyLeroy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »
^^ Not too familiar but they have been there as early as i can remember (mid 70's) with the "arting up" occurring in the early/mid 2000's perhaps as an artworks project.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline oakiehigh

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Being everything is pretty much nailed down in regards to the bid, I look for more of this type of speculation to comes forward the closer we get to the MLS announcement.  This area is the one that has made the most sense all along.   This is the first time I've seen the WCET block mentioned in print which seems interesting.   I think the Stargel site was never actually on the table for these owners.