Author Topic: Military Industrial Complex  (Read 966 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Military Industrial Complex
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
Governing Under the Influence: Are Pentagon Contractors Driving U.S. Foreign Policy?
http://gui.afsc.org/news/governing-under-influence-are-pentagon-contractors-driving-us-foreign-policy
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Military Industrial Complex
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
^ I almost feel as if we're not allowed to talk about this.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
Governing Under the Influence: Are Pentagon Contractors Driving U.S. Foreign Policy?
http://gui.afsc.org/news/governing-under-influence-are-pentagon-contractors-driving-us-foreign-policy

Of course.  War profiteering is our national project. 

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
A stunning video of our tax dollars (er, debt) at work:

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
^ You can catch trains full of Abrams tanks heading out from the Army Tank Plant in Lima (and old tanks heading into it for restoration, I believe). I've managed to come across two in Cincinnati over the last few years. My cell phone camera sucks or else I'd have had an interesting video of a train full of tanks roaring down the viaduct overtop the Popeye's Chicken in Covington.

Here's a video I found on Youtube - apparently these were built for Morroco:

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:43:14 AM »
Not sure if this is the best place for this or not. This bipartisan law would further increase the power of the presidency when we should be reining in its powers it has accumulated/seized in recent decades....

Congress May Declare the Forever War

A proposed law with bipartisan support would dramatically weaken the ability of legislators to extricate the United States from perpetual armed conflict.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/congress-may-declare-the-forever-war/562175/?utm_source=atlfb
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
The Navy spent $22.5 billion on three ships that can not be used for their originally intended purpose, because there is no ammo available that is compatible with the guns that are installed on the ships.

The Zumwalt-class was intended to provide naval surface fire support (NSFS) using the AGS and additional land attack using Tomahawk missiles from its PVLS launchers. As deployed, the Zumwalt-class cannot provide NSFS, since there is no ammunition available that is compatible with the AGS. The Zumwalt-class was re-purposed as surface attack vessels and are no longer intended for use as land attack destroyers.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:59:27 AM »
The Navy spent $22.5 billion on three ships that can not be used for their originally intended purpose, because there is no ammo available that is compatible with the guns that are installed on the ships.

The Zumwalt-class was intended to provide naval surface fire support (NSFS) using the AGS and additional land attack using Tomahawk missiles from its PVLS launchers. As deployed, the Zumwalt-class cannot provide NSFS, since there is no ammunition available that is compatible with the AGS. The Zumwalt-class was re-purposed as surface attack vessels and are no longer intended for use as land attack destroyers.

Multiply this by 100's and you have the reason we can't have healthcare coverage for all Americans.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:26:16 AM »
^so the ballast tanks on the destroyer itself were designed specifically to enable the firing of these big guns, but now that the guns have no ammo, there is no reason for the ballast tanks. 

Also, it's interesting to see that the ship employs an incredibly complex system of tomahawk missile storage.  The missiles are stored in small clusters scattered around the exterior of the ship so that the ship can't be blown up death star style.  But whatever moves the missiles around the interior of the ship to their launch point must be horrendously complex. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 04:06:54 AM »
I also recently saw this fascinating Twitter thread about the "Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II" which is a similar military boondoggle.

Here's an excerpt: In order to have stealth capabilities, the plane is painted with a special, incredibly expensive paint. This paint peels off if the plane is in an area with more than 0% humidity, so the planes have to be kept in expensive climate-controlled hangars. Every time they're flown, they have to be repainted.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
The Zumwalt-class seems to me like something politicians in Washington were pushing for despite the Navy insisting they didn't need it. The massive guns were meant to serve as a replacement for battleships, but there is apparently no strategic need for such a weapon. Luckily they only built 3 and have no plans to construct more.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
I have the sense that a lot of super-expensive high-profile military equipment is only incrementally better than what existed before.  The real improvements are made behind-the-scenes. 

Also, the military has the challenge of making improvements with new equipment but then rising operating costs that are inevitable when half of the gear is the new gear and half of it is the old. 

Also, I heard that the Navy keeps something like 100 F-14's mothballed in the desert in the unlikely event that one of our carriers is sunk.  They would then have a roster of planes ready to go when a replacement carrier is built.  Otherwise, the ship could be finished years before the planes it needs to have any purpose.