Author Topic: IKEA - Cleveland  (Read 15911 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: IKEA - Cleveland
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
The media finally catching up to UrbanOhio ;)

That rumored Ikea store in Garfield Heights? Forget about it
http://www.crainscleveland.com/retail/rumored-ikea-store-garfield-heights-forget-about-it
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline imjustinjk

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
An "Urban Ikea" would be ideal, and there is plenty of prime space downtown for it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if traffic is down a bit to their suburban super-stores.  Who wants to spend a day wandering through that maze/hellscape when comparable products can be ordered and shipped online from Wayfair or a million other alternatives?

Has IKEA tried an urban format because they're very big on the massive maze-like structures set across acres of flat surface parking. I don't think I've been to an Ikea with vertical parking. However, plenty of stores are trying out smaller urban formats.

Offline metrocity

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »

Offline imjustinjk

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »
^There is this at Westfield Stratford City in London

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/29-august-4-september-2016/ikea-rolls-convenience-store-concept-westfield-stratford-city/

This would work well in a lot of cities. I'm sure the general public here would be disappointed that they're not getting a full size store, but I really like it. Seems like a more traditional furniture store, like a Pottery Barn or whatever versus a mega big box store. Its less than 10K sq ft, which is a fraction of the size of a normal store that's hundreds of thousands of square feet. Although I'm sure it would be tested in larger markets here first, yay Cleveland.

Offline metrocity

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
^It's actually really small, and the displays seemed geared toward the systems furniture, like Kitchens, Media Centers and closets...where you would design and plan it. They did have a good amount of staff to assist in that though. I guess the stand alone pieces you just look at pics in the catalog or online and order. I must say, that mall is super busy, and the stuff looked really beat up from the wear and tear. That's not normal residential usage of course and we know it's not commercial grade, but it didn't give a good impression for buyers. The hinges start to sag, finishes get scatched...etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:06:30 PM by metrocity »

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:36 AM »
I think we could potentially put this thread in the "DEAD" section, until there's another inside I guess.

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »
It appears to be officially over as far as another location is concerned. http://www.cleveland19.com/2018/09/18/sorry-ikea-fans-company-shoots-down-another-site-northeast-ohio/

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'