PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore  (Read 390 times)

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
A map of the site, my recollection is that the acreage is enough for Ikea:

http://www.garfieldhts.org/userfiles/file/economicdevelopment/OutletsOfCleveland.pdf

I have no idea what's going on with the Outlet Malls. Probably never going to happen, but whoever owns it should do something to ensure that this prime piece of realty can be developed. And the extension of Transportation Boulevard to Rockside Road would need to be part of the plan.

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »
Just throw in Ikea as an anchor and a couple parking garages and we'll be looking pretty good!

Offline Old OHKID

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
Quick question - what happened to all the box anchors on the other side of the interstate? That whole center is dead, but it looks relatively new. Where did they all go?

I was curious and looked up the site (btw, looks like a good one for Ikea). I'm hoping they do it, but IMO just from the map the Randall Park site makes more sense
IF they could get zoning and land to put a big IKEA sign at the intersection of 480 and 271.

Interstate access would be good, and they would be within spitting distance of Pinecrest and all the higher end stuff in Gates Mills/Beechwood/etc.
Also would have a lot of Solon within the 5-10 mile radius, which should drive up the median incomes in the area.

Or they could buy out the self storage facility and low-rent apartment complex at the SW corner of the 480/271 interchange and build there.
IMO if they want visibility this seems like an easy way to get it.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
Quick question - what happened to all the box anchors on the other side of the interstate? That whole center is dead, but it looks relatively new. Where did they all go?

Go over there, light a match and you'll get your answer.

(FYI I mentioned the reason why above)
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Old OHKID

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
Ah. I see. Methane. Why hasnt the center been imploded yet?

Offline eurokie

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
Ah. I see. Methane. Why hasnt the center been imploded yet?

It's probably pretty hard to book a wrecking ball these days.  :roll:

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »

Looks dead unless you pull in.  Giant Eagle is still open as are a few others, IIRC.

You want "dead", go to Rockside and Northfield.  Ironically, the latter location's Walmart replaced Cityview's.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 05:50:43 AM »

Looks dead unless you pull in.  Giant Eagle is still open as are a few others, IIRC.

You want "dead", go to Rockside and Northfield.  Ironically, the latter location's Walmart replaced Cityview's.

The strip next to the freeway with Chipotle and Starbucks is full other than what use to be a Chili's (I think). Other than that Giant Eagle and First Merit Bank are the only things open in the actual City View Center. Who knows how long first Merit will be open there too with the merger with Huntington since there is a current Huntington branch in Giant Eagle.

Meadowbrook at Rockside and Northfield has got to be the saddest shopping center in Cleveland. If it wasn't so far from the highway for Ikea's need for visibility, I'd say it would be a good site. Otherwise that whole (huge!) area needs bulldozed. Would probably be much better off redeveloped as housing.

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »
A stray comment about IKEA on CLE.com caught my attention. A poster said IKEA was looking at an empty piece of land just east of Lowe's in Bedford Heights (technically, I believe) - which is just east of 271 on Miles Road and immediately South of 422 (where continues East from 480). This is essentially on the SE side of the larger interchange where Randall Park is on the NW side.

I took note because this is not a spot an average Joe would just pick out of the blue - the person would almost have to know something - and yet it is maybe 1/4 mile off highway, quite visible from the road (especially 271, which is almost on top of the aforementioned Lowe's) - and central to an interchange that brings traffic from 4 directions. Pretty much exactly what IKEA is looking for, save for an open field somewhere. Interesting.

CarMax and Tim Lally Chevrolet recently built large complexes just across the street.. so the area is getting noticed. Sure, it's likely just a runor, but it makes sense - and if Bedford could score this, well.....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:27:21 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 07:29:07 AM »
That is such a weird spot to get to amongst that jumble of highway ramps etc.   

I go to that Lowe's quit a bit and even though there is good highway visibility, wondered when they decided to build CarMax about the weird access issues and figured likely only the locals would know how to get to these places easily. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:25:07 AM by willyboy »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
A stray comment about IKEA on CLE.com caught my attention. A poster said IKEA was looking at an empty piece of land just east of Lowe's in Bedford Heights (technically, I believe) - which is just east of 271 on Miles Road and immediately South of 422 (where continues East from 480). This is essentially on the SE side of the larger interchange where Randall Park is on the NW side.

I took note because this is not a spot an average Joe would just pick out of the blue - the person would almost have to know something - and yet it is maybe 1/4 mile off highway, quite visible from the road (especially 271, which is almost on top of the aforementioned Lowe's) - and central to an interchange that brings traffic from 4 directions. Pretty much exactly what IKEA is looking for, save for an open field somewhere. Interesting.

CarMax and Tim Lally Chevrolet recently built large complexes just across the street.. so the area is getting noticed. Sure, it's likely just a runor, but it makes sense - and if Bedford could score this, well.....

That's Bedford Heights, and north of Miles is Warrensville Heights.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:29:46 AM by E Rocc »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »

A very good location. I see the spot the poster is referring to. The site is twice the size of the neighboring Lowe's. It's just opposite of the end of the ramp from 271 NB. The access road into an IKEA could be the south road of a four-way intersection with east-west Miles Road, and the I-271 ramp being the road coming in from the north.

In this era of GPS navigation, finding an IKEA located here shouldn't be a problem for those unfamiliar with the area.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »

A very good location. I see the spot the poster is referring to. The site is twice the size of the neighboring Lowe's. It's just opposite of the end of the ramp from 271 NB. The access road into an IKEA could be the south road of a four-way intersection with east-west Miles Road, and the I-271 ramp being the road coming in from the north.

In this era of GPS navigation, finding an IKEA located here shouldn't be a problem for those unfamiliar with the area.

For what it's worth that is the old Mr. Coffee plant location.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »

Mobsters!! ;)

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »

Mobsters!! ;)

Are you saying CERCLA isn't the main reason they shouldn't dig there?   :)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »
I'll take the 5th. Mr. Coffee had some interesting characters "working" there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:25:50 AM by KJP »

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2016, 07:01:34 AM »
Crains morning update has article link that notes IKEA has been contacted by numerous CLE-area cities in wake of the no-go Brooklyn news:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2016/02/23/ikea-rep-county-a-bit-too-far-west-for-ne-ohio-store/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:01:53 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
^good to see that IKEA wants to be central and not pushing sprawl.

There's a big piece of land north of steelyard, great visibility from I-71. See SW corner of Steelyard and Quigley. That's a great spot. maybe relocate the stand-alone bldgs for Key Bank and Steak-n-Shake if need be.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:39 AM »
I'll take the 5th. Mr. Coffee had some interesting characters "working" there.

Keep in mind DiMaggio was their spokesman.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I did some rough measuring. The Steelyard site is the same size as the Brooklyn site--so it would fit. Plus highway access AND highway exposure.  :yap:

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
^good to see that IKEA wants to be central and not pushing sprawl.

There's a big piece of land north of steelyard, great visibility from I-71. See SW corner of Steelyard and Quigley. That's a great spot. maybe relocate the stand-alone bldgs for Key Bank and Steak-n-Shake if need be.

That's not "central" either, in the metropolitan area.  Especially if Akron-Canton is factored in.

Bridgeview and the old Mr. Coffee site are moreso.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
I wouldnt say it's that visible from the highways either, especially when compared to Bridgeview. The shopping center level is quite a bit lower than the freeway levels.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »
It's quite central when you consider transportation routes. It's right off 71/176 and within a mile or two of 90/490, 77, and 480.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:44 AM »
It's quite central when you consider transportation routes. It's right off 71/176 and within a mile or two of 90/490, 77, and 480.

But not physically central, which is what they mean.  Especially when they factor in the Akron MSA.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:21:56 AM by E Rocc »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »

The strip next to the freeway with Chipotle and Starbucks is full other than what use to be a Chili's (I think). Other than that Giant Eagle and First Merit Bank are the only things open in the actual City View Center. Who knows how long first Merit will be open there too with the merger with Huntington since there is a current Huntington branch in Giant Eagle.

Meadowbrook at Rockside and Northfield has got to be the saddest shopping center in Cleveland. If it wasn't so far from the highway for Ikea's need for visibility, I'd say it would be a good site. Otherwise that whole (huge!) area needs bulldozed. Would probably be much better off redeveloped as housing.

That's the last thing the city of Bedford wants to see there. 

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
IKEA Cleveland rumors have gone pretty silent...  A good sign?

Meanwhile, both Milwaukee and Norfolk have had new stores announced in recent months. Of the top 35 metros, only CLE, San Antonio and Nashville (can't find right spot in this boomtown they say) don't have stores now.

'bout time...

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
Well it looks like the outlet mall plan at Bridgeview Crossing in Garfield Heights fell through. I still think that should be IKEA's spot!

Offline cfdwarrior

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »
I thought it was being built in Columbus...and plans for Cleveland were no longer a consideration?

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
Columbus is getting one, too - but they just had a good spot pop up first. IKEA has been looking in CLE some 15 years The IKEA requirement is 2MM people within 60 miles... which is just about what Columbus has. CLE store will have 3.5MM in same distance, so we will get one, but location yet to be finalized, as last one killed by the EPA due to "wetlands."