PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: FC Cincinnati Discussion  (Read 24733 times)

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: FC Cincinnati Discussion
« Reply #780 on: November 02, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
A bit more detail on Detroit's decision to use Ford Field as their stadium site for their MLS application:
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20171102/news/643951/plan-for-mls-stadium-scrapped-team-would-play-at-ford-field

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #781 on: November 02, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
From the MLS's perspective, I have to think this puts Detroit near the top of expansion cities.

I thought that too, until I saw MLS' response: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNpvMxDVoAA6mTh.jpg

Specifically, the bottom comment about "prioritizing" soccer-specific stadia.

Even if Ford Field is allowed to be a venue and Detroit is awarded a bid, the scuttlebutt seems to be that they're lining it up for Atlanta-style renovations which provide a more intimate atmosphere and make soccer a priority on par with the football team.

Paul Brown Stadium lacks a lot of those merits.

Not to mention, a TIF district exists in Newport and there's a memorandum of understanding with the developer. If FC Cincinnati's options are playing in Cincinnati (but at PBS) or playing in Newport, but controlling dates, schedule, and revenue completely - I think they'll choose Newport.

Offline troeros

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #782 on: November 02, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
This will probably kill Detroits bid for this round. Gilbert and company essentially lied about the usage of the prison site. He wanted the prison site, and said it was for an mls sss but when he actually he got the land, he was like sike! That will likely anger mls higher ups alot.

Also in the latest renderings they stole alot of detroit city fc logos and branding. The owners of Detroit City FC are livid about this on there twitter.

Online cincydave8

« Reply #783 on: November 03, 2017, 06:24:40 AM »
I just wish Portune would see what Detroit just did and realize the idea of playing at PBS is moronic.

Offline thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #784 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »
I think having three separate stadiums for three sports teams is an incredibly fragile situation. Focusing On FC and the Bengals in particular:

1. MLS could skyrocket in popularity leaving a ~20k stadium too small and obsolete. This scenario could happen very quickly, perhaps within five years

2. NFL could decline in popularity making PBS a hardly used venue (might take awhile but look at California crowds)

3. NFL could continue rise in popularity and go global causing Bengals to leave town

Online Stormy Daytons

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #785 on: November 07, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
FC Cincinnati season tickets off to record sales

FC Cincinnati is selling season tickets at a record-breaking rate thatís blowing away team projections.

The team has sold 10,000 season tickets for its 2018 season to date. Thatís double the number of season tickets that were sold at the same time last year.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/07/fc-cincinnati-season-tickets-off-to-record-sales.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #786 on: November 07, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Are you FC Cincy fans absolutely sure you want to be in MLS?

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #787 on: November 07, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Lol I don't want to be anymore after this Crew thing and understanding more of how the league works.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #788 on: November 07, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
Lol I don't want to be anymore after this Crew thing and understanding more of how the league works.

Best case scenario would be a successful league operating outside of the strictures of MLS. Cincinnati is a kickass example that this is actually possible.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #789 on: November 17, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
I have split off the discussion about a new stadium into this new thread in the Southwest Ohio Projects & Construction board. This thread will remain in the Sports Talk board and be used to talk about sporting things.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #790 on: November 21, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
Someone put together this graphic to show the current roster for 2018. Discussions are still ongoing with defender Austin Berry and goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt to my knowledge.

Here are the announcements about the signing of Paddy Barrett, Forrest Lasso, Dekel Keinen, and Daniel Haber.

Also, the news that Harrison Delbridge is leaving FCC to pursue a career with FC Melbourne and perhaps have a shot at making the Australian National Team in time for the 2018 World Cup.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:19:45 AM by ryanlammi »

Online Robuu

• Premium Member
« Reply #791 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
I'd love to keep Hildebrandt, but the dude deserves to play at a higher level.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #792 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
He played out of his mind in the US Open Cup, and is generally a good keeper, but he ended 2017 pretty poorly. Not saying it was entirely his fault, because we had some bad passing and poor lapses on defense, but he didn't play well in league play after that Open Cup run. He only had one clean sheet in the last 13 games, and he gave up three or more goals on 6 of those 13 occasions. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight for his position next year.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #793 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
Another signing announced: Midfielder Tyler Gibson from the San Francisco Deltas (they won the NASL in 2017).

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #794 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »
Updated graphic with 3 new signings: Cicerone, Seymore, and Village.

Also, this is a cool video of Cicerone scoring a goal.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #795 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
^ Sorry to see Quinn didn't get resigned.

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #796 on: November 29, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
If the MLS picks Sacramento and Cincinnati, it would be a validation for the USL, showing that success in the USL is rewarded... but it would also take the top two teams (in terms of attendance) out of the USL. I'm curious how the managers at the USL view it: are they hoping Sacramento and Cincinnati get the MLS bids? Not that they have any say in the matter... but it's just an interesting situation they're in as the USL continues to grow (and the NASL dwindles).

If Nashville is passed over, it means Nashville would play the next few years in the USL, presumably biding their time until the next round of MLS expansion. That would probably be good for the USL to have Nashville as an "up and coming" team for a few years.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #797 on: November 29, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
^I think that's what holds Nasvhille back for this particular round. That market will still be there for Round 2, the government has already shown they're willing to pay.

Cincinnati and Sacramento have proven attendance and support.  FC Cincinnati has unbelievable sponsorship support.

FCC also hit 15k STH today. 15,000 people committed for a 2nd Division team.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #798 on: November 29, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
Did they hit 15k already? I thought that was the goal by the time the season started.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #799 on: November 29, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
Did they hit 15k already? I thought that was the goal by the time the season started.

Apparently told 700 WLW: https://twitter.com/cincysoccertalk/status/935936990704558080

Online Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #800 on: November 29, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »
A Cincinnati businessman just bought the Dayton Dynamo (the old Cincinnati Saints) and is planning on making them a fully professional team. Does this have any connection FCC?  Would the Dynamo be a partner in any way with FCC?  Or if FCC stays in the USL, and the Dynamo gets into the USL, could a good rivalry develop?

http://wvxu.org/post/dayton-dynamo-making-jump-professional-soccer-league/

Online Stormy Daytons

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #801 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
Hell, I didn't even know the Dayton Dynamo were still around.  Apparently, according to "The Googles," the one I'm thinking of ended in 1995 and they restarted again a couple of years ago and play at my old high school's football stadium.

Huh.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #802 on: November 30, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
They will likely never directly compete with FCC (unless it's in the US Open Cup by chance). And the new ownership is not related to FCC ownership at all to my knowledge. They brought on a new majority owner to move on to a professional league.

The Dynamo are taking a one year sabbatical to prepare for a professional team, so they will not play in 2018. They were playing in the NPSL (National Premier Soccer League) last year, which is a semi-pro league. A lot of players are college students who cannot get paid due to NCAA regulations, and many others are just older players who never made it professionally, but can still compete.

The Dynamo will be moving into either NISA (National Independent Soccer Association) or USL D3. The USL is starting a parallel league in the third division of the US Soccer pyramid since the main USL league was moved up to division 2 starting in this year. USL D3 and NISA will have much lower financial, stadium, etc. requirements than NASL or USL. But both of these leagues are still technically all professional, meaning the players get paid.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #803 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
Hell, I didn't even know the Dayton Dynamo were still around.  Apparently, according to "The Googles," the one I'm thinking of ended in 1995 and they restarted again a couple of years ago and play at my old high school's football stadium.

Huh.

Go go, Dyanamo! Ready for some history?

The original Dayton Dynamo played in the AISA and then the National Professional Soccer League. This NPSL was an indoor league and the team played at Hara Arena, Nutter Center, and the Convention Center from 1988 to 1995. After the 95 season they moved to the Cincinnati Gardens and re-branded as the Cincinnati Silverbacks. The Silverbacks and Cyclones (IHL hockey) were both owned by Doug Kirchoffer, who purchased the Riverfront Coliseum, renovated it, and named it "The Crown." Many speculated that this was all done in an effort to boost the arena's value so that when the Reds needed to purchase the building and demolish it to make room for a new ballpark, The Crown would be worth more. When the Silverbacks/Cyclones moved, the Gardens got a new hockey team (The Mighty Ducks of the AHL) and they put out posters saying "Hit the road Cyclones, and take the Silverbacks with you!"

The Reds ended up building their new park in "the wedge" between The Crown and Cinergy Field. Kirchoffer eventually sold his interest in the arena and the teams. The Crown became The Firstar Center and now is US Bank Arena. The Silverbacks folded relatively quickly, the Cyclones later on(but, since returend). In the wake of the Silverbacks' death, Cincinnati has had a colorful variety of indoor and outdoor teams among the lower divisions of American soccer.

The Cincinnati Saints of the 4th division NPSL (a new NPSL not affiliated with the preceding indoor league) played for awhile at various spots around town. They also fielded a women's team and both sides played indoor seasons too at various points. When FC Cincinnati was announced, The Saints were still active. In an early promo video for FCC, the intro started by flashing the logos of teams that had come and gone. The Saints' logo was in that montage of defunct brands, but they still existed. Nevertheless, The Saints relocated their men's NPSL side to Dayton and adopted the old brand name of "The Dayton Dynamo."

As @ryanlammi pointed out, they're taking a year off to develop a fully professional side presumably at the division III level in either the new USL D3 or the new NISA. It was recently rumored that The Dynamo could've been one of the NPSL teams brought up to the NASL (and backed financially by other D2 NASL teams) to help keep that league afloat. The NASL's future isn't looking great, though.

What will be interesting is if a professional side with more cash can attract more of an audience (although the Dyanamo do have a loyal following) and if FCC reaches MLS, if they will be affiliated in any way. Also, I've seen more and more FCC marketing materials along the I-75 corridor and around Dayton. With no soccer in Dayton for this coming season, I think FCC will aggressively market there.

Whether they go NISA or USLD3, I love the idea of Dayton having a fully professional side. Soccer teams tend to be more rooted in the community even if they're lower division. Many D3 and D4 sides have strong followings. I could see The Dynamo becoming a source of pride for Dayton in the way FCC has for Cincinnati. A proper, small stadium tied in to a lot of great things happening Downtown could be great.

Also to note: Dayton has another 4th division team. The Dayton Dutch Lions play in the USL Premier Development League, a competitor to the NPSL. There are also the Cincinnati Dutch Lions of the PDL who play at NKU.

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #804 on: November 30, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
Speaking of USL expansion, there's news that a developer in Chicago wants to buy a USL expansion spot and build a Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed stadium with a retractable roof and seating for 20,000:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-lincoln-yards-soccer-stadium-ryan-ori-20171121-story.html

If that comes to pass, please remind me to pick my jaw up from the floor.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #805 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »
Speaking of USL expansion, there's news that a developer in Chicago wants to buy a USL expansion spot and build a Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed stadium with a retractable roof and seating for 20,000:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-lincoln-yards-soccer-stadium-ryan-ori-20171121-story.html

I love this. I wish USL wasn't in the hierarchy below MLS. To me it's far more interesting being outside of league rules which can be constricting. FCC wouldn't have to be seeking MLS salvation if USL was a viable competitor league. Maybe it will be in the future?

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #806 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

That's been my thought too. That situation is... odd. The USL trend recently has been that when they confirm an expansion team for the next season (or evern for another year out) they do a big announcement, a video, social media press, etc. They really, really promote it. In one Chicago press release they say a franchise has been purchased, but it hasn't been given anywhere near the fanfare you'd think scoring a team in the heart of a major market would get.

My speculation is that this is one of two things:

1) Just the developer posturing to lure Amazone (Build HQ2 and we'll build this as well!).
2) A backdoor attempt for the Chicago Fire to flee the suburb of Bridgeview and land downtown.

Even if USL starts backing away from direct MLS affiliation at the D2 level, it's in their best interest to maintain a good relationship with the top league. I doubt they'd really try to cut MLS out of a top market.

Online Stormy Daytons

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #807 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »

Huh.

Go go, Dyanamo! Ready for some history?

The original Dayton Dynamo played in the AISA and then the National Professional Soccer League. This NPSL was an indoor league and the team played at Hara Arena, Nutter Center, and the Convention Center from 1988 to 1995. After the 95 season they moved to the Cincinnati Gardens and re-branded as the Cincinnati Silverbacks. The Silverbacks and Cyclones (IHL hockey) were both owned by Doug Kirchoffer, who purchased the Riverfront Coliseum, renovated it, and named it "The Crown." Many speculated that this was all done in an effort to boost the arena's value so that when the Reds needed to purchase the building and demolish it to make room for a new ballpark, The Crown would be worth more. When the Silverbacks/Cyclones moved, the Gardens got a new hockey team (The Mighty Ducks of the AHL) and they put out posters saying "Hit the road Cyclones, and take the Silverbacks with you!"

The Reds ended up building their new park in "the wedge" between The Crown and Cinergy Field. Kirchoffer eventually sold his interest in the arena and the teams. The Crown became The Firstar Center and now is US Bank Arena. The Silverbacks folded relatively quickly, the Cyclones later on(but, since returend). In the wake of the Silverbacks' death, Cincinnati has had a colorful variety of indoor and outdoor teams among the lower divisions of American soccer.

The Cincinnati Saints of the 4th division NPSL (a new NPSL not affiliated with the preceding indoor league) played for awhile at various spots around town. They also fielded a women's team and both sides played indoor seasons too at various points. When FC Cincinnati was announced, The Saints were still active. In an early promo video for FCC, the intro started by flashing the logos of teams that had come and gone. The Saints' logo was in that montage of defunct brands, but they still existed. Nevertheless, The Saints relocated their men's NPSL side to Dayton and adopted the old brand name of "The Dayton Dynamo."

As @ryanlammi pointed out, they're taking a year off to develop a fully professional side presumably at the division III level in either the new USL D3 or the new NISA. It was recently rumored that The Dynamo could've been one of the NPSL teams brought up to the NASL (and backed financially by other D2 NASL teams) to help keep that league afloat. The NASL's future isn't looking great, though.

What will be interesting is if a professional side with more cash can attract more of an audience (although the Dyanamo do have a loyal following) and if FCC reaches MLS, if they will be affiliated in any way. Also, I've seen more and more FCC marketing materials along the I-75 corridor and around Dayton. With no soccer in Dayton for this coming season, I think FCC will aggressively market there.

Whether they go NISA or USLD3, I love the idea of Dayton having a fully professional side. Soccer teams tend to be more rooted in the community even if they're lower division. Many D3 and D4 sides have strong followings. I could see The Dynamo becoming a source of pride for Dayton in the way FCC has for Cincinnati. A proper, small stadium tied in to a lot of great things happening Downtown could be great.

Also to note: Dayton has another 4th division team. The Dayton Dutch Lions play in the USL Premier Development League, a competitor to the NPSL. There are also the Cincinnati Dutch Lions of the PDL who play at NKU.

You, sir, are a Soccer God!

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #808 on: November 30, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
Very good history! Went to saints games the last two years they were here.  Hoped maybe this local guy buying them might mean they'd move back to cincinnati.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #809 on: December 01, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
Very good history! Went to saints games the last two years they were here.  Hoped maybe this local guy buying them might mean they'd move back to cincinnati.

Not sure if we'd see that with FCC around. The video montage incident certainly didn't sit well with the core group of loyal Saints fans. The owner at the time was also very outspoken about how the new club didn't reach out or even attempt to work with him. He's an interesting character, though, has me blocked on Twitter. Also, a lot of the original FCC FO responsible for some of the flat marketing and questionable communications was replaced rather quickly. With this new owner, not sure if those wounds have healed. Would be interesting to see if FCC goes to MLS, if the Dayton club becomes a USL affiliate.