PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: FC Cincinnati Discussion  (Read 31560 times)

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • about.me
Re: FC Cincinnati Discussion
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
I personally wonder if the story could be triggered or linked to the North Wing of the Main Library. Things that make you go hmmmm.

See: https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,133.msg871863.html#msg871863
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #751 on: August 30, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
What Market is FC Cincinnatiís Biggest Threat for MLS Expansion Bid

FC Cincinnati find themselves in the dog days of summer chasing a USL playoff berth for the second consecutive year. However, while the clubís league performances have not quite lived up to last yearís incredible inaugural campaign, FC Cincinnati did do well in the U.S. Open Cup. In fact, FC Cincinnati currently holds a 2-1 overall record against Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs. This Cinderella story of epic proportions has a lot of people asking how does FC Cincinnati not get an invitation to join MLS?

Going back to January of this year, twelve different teams/cities submitted bids to join MLS. Those twelve bids were from Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Detroit, San Antonio, Saint Louis, Phoenix, Sacramento, and San Diego. Most of them have current USL or NASL teams attached to their bids, but not all of them. Detroit and San Diego would be new teams built from scratch, and Nashville will have a team eventually, joining USL in the Spring of 2018.

As of right now, we expect MLS to extend an invitation to two teams at the beginning of December, with two more invitations being offered by 2020. That will bring the total number of MLS teams to 28. MLS could expand beyond 28 teams and if I could speculate if there was such a thing as a ďhard capĒ on the number of teams in MLS, that number is probably 32. It is worth pointing out here that FIFA has a guideline that top-flight leagues be limited to twenty teams. But in years past, FIFA has mandated that leagues cap themselves to eighteen teams, and well, the world collectively shrugged its shoulders and ignored FIFA.

More below:
http://cincinnatisoccertalk.com/2017/08/28/market-fc-cincinnatis-biggest-threat-mls-expansion-bid
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #752 on: August 30, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
^ As far the market and demographics go, Nashville is in a virtual tie with Cincinnati on things like TV market, Fortune 500 companies, and percentage of population under the age of 35.

Surprising to read this. I just assumed Nashville was overflowing with Millenials.

Online thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:11 AM »
Anyone have an extra ticket for the Bailey this weekend they'd be willing to part with? Message me to work out details if so

Offline cincydave8

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2017, 07:30:27 AM »
Anyone have an extra ticket for the Bailey this weekend they'd be willing to part with? Message me to work out details if so

Try The Bailey Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479848725665133/

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
Pretty certain the ballet has been interested in finding a new location since before FCC has grown to what it is now, but that doesn't mean that FCC's success hasn't expedited their search.

I personally wonder if the story could be triggered or linked to the North Wing of the Main Library. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I though the exact same thing about the North Library building, that or the UC Law School.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:18 PM »
Pretty certain the ballet has been interested in finding a new location since before FCC has grown to what it is now, but that doesn't mean that FCC's success hasn't expedited their search.

I though the exact same thing about the North Library building, that or the UC Law School.

I talked to someone at UC who has his finger on the pulse of such things, and he basically told me there's no way in h*ck that the College of Law is moving off campus.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #757 on: September 01, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
^Yeah from the whole conversation about the Law College moving to the Banks, it sounded like they were set on keeping them on main campus. Speculating about a possible move seems like a waste of time.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #758 on: September 01, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
^ This is a dead issue now. They closed the door on moving it over a year ago now.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #759 on: September 01, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
Here's how much money UC makes from stadium lease to FC Cincinnati

FC Cincinnatiís big soccer crowds the past two years have netted the University of Cincinnati an extra $100,000-plus.

Thatís just one of the details unveiled in the pro soccer teamís lease with UC for its use of Nippert Stadium, the on-campus home of UC football, for home games and for practice and training. After weeks of waiting, the Courier has obtained a copy of the lease following a public records request to the University of Cincinnati. The lease, signed in Aug. 2015, covers FC Cincinnatiís first three seasons and is renewable after that.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/01/heres-how-much-moneyuc-makes-from-stadium-lease-to.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #760 on: September 07, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • about.me
« Reply #761 on: September 13, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #762 on: September 13, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
^ I highly doubt that.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #763 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
^ I highly doubt that.

Yeah, I agree and frankly I'm surprised to see local governments scrambling to offer incentives for not a stadium, but a practice facility.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #764 on: September 14, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
Berding talks about FC Cincinnatiís upcoming record crowd

Amid a sea of records set by FC Cincinnati in its first two years of existence, the one it will set Saturday might be the most impressive.

The club will break the United Soccer League regular season single-game attendance record Saturday when it hosts New York Red Bulls II at Nippert Stadium on the University of Cincinnati campus.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/14/berding-talks-about-fc-cincinnati-s-upcoming.html

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #765 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
PX: FC Cincinnati stadium issue back in political spotlight
Jason Williams, jwilliams@enquirer.com Published 4:56 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2017 | Updated 9:09 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2017

It's been really quiet lately on the FC Cincinnati stadium front.

But the public debate will heat back up on Tuesday night. Soccer fans are expected to show up en masse for a 7 p.m. public meeting at the Hamilton County Board of Elections in Norwood to implore commissioners to spend taxpayer money on a new stadium.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2017/09/22/px/690116001/

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #766 on: September 28, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
FC Cincinnati stadiumís potential economic impact detailed

A new FC Cincinnati stadium would have a total ongoing economic impact on the regionís output of $62 million, according to a new study of the stadiumís financial effect on Greater Cincinnati.

That impact combines the effect of the soccer teamís operations and the visitor impact on Greater Cincinnatiís 15-county region, according to the study.

Stephen Buser, professor emeritus at Ohio Stateís business school, and Bill LaFayette, owner of Columbus economics firm Regionomics, conducted the study, which was commissioned by law firm Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/28/exclusive-fc-cincinnati-stadium-s-potential.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #767 on: October 03, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »
FC Cincinnati rival for MLS bid finalizes stadium financing

The clock is ticking on FC Cincinnati, and the ticking just got louder.

A rival of FC Cincinnati in the race for a coveted Major League Soccer expansion franchise appears to have financing lined up to build a soccer stadium.

Nashville, Tenn.ís Metro Council approved a plan on Monday to provide financing for a $250 million stadium that would seat 27,500 fans. The stadium would be paid for by $200 million in revenue bonds, $25 million in Metro general obligation bonds and $25 million from the teamís ownership group.

FC Cincinnatiís MLS expansion bid is competing with 11 other cities, including Nashville, for four expansion franchises. MLS will award two of those in December and two others at a future date. MLS has said expansion franchises need to have firm plans for a soccer-specific stadium. That means they need to have a site under control and financing in place. Sacramento, Calif., has already started pre-construction work on a site for a new soccer stadium.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/10/03/fc-cincinnati-rival-for-mls-bid-finalizes-stadium.html

Offline TroyEros

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #768 on: October 04, 2017, 02:14:13 AM »
Hamilton county portune to prioritize FCC stadium and 3 other Hamilton county projects. Final decision on financing and whether or not it's feasible to fund stadium will come in November

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
I'm sorry I would rather have them put all their marbles in getting the Amazon HQ instead of another stadium.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
I'm sorry I would rather have them put all their marbles in getting the Amazon HQ instead of another stadium.

I would've rather seen them truly give a damn about transit at any point since 1973, but here we are.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #771 on: October 05, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
Carl Lindner III wrote this: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/contributors/2017/10/05/viable-stadium-plan-essential-winning-mls-bid/732592001/

But he doesn't include details about what options are being pursued regarding public-private partnership structures. Seems clear he does NOT want to put anything before the voters, so he's hoping something can be put together just at the city/county level. He mentions Hamilton County, but no details about any idea of how they could partner with the City of Cincinnati, the Port Redevelopment Authority, or any entities in Kentucky.  I understand that Lindner wants to raise public support for the idea, but it annoys me that we haven't gotten any more specifics in the last few months. And with the MLS decision looming in the next month or two, I'm worried the team isn't making progress on a financing plan.

Offline TroyEros

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #772 on: October 05, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
No rush needed. Mls has a December deadline. Anything before that is really irrelevant.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #773 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
WVXU links to the text of the 1997 Bengals lease re: shared use of the stadium by a soccer team:
http://wvxu.org/post/lease-says-stadium-could-house-soccer-franchise#stream/0

Some have suggested that Hamilton County could sell Paul Brown Stadium to FC Cincinnati and then The Bengals could become a tenant.  That would require a renegotiation of the 1997 Bengals lease, obviously.

Offline TroyEros

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #774 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »
Not an option. MLS require full control of revenue streams. FCC would miss on all concession stand revenue streams and would go instead to bengals .

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #775 on: October 11, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
^You didn't pay attention to what I wrote. Earlier, people proposed that UC sell Nippert to the soccer team.  This is a similar speculative proposal. 

Offline cincydave8

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #776 on: October 12, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
MLS would not allow it and FCC would not accept it. It would be an awful venue for soccer. I'd rather stay in the USL and keep the games in Nippert than have the games played in a stadium with 40,000 empty seats every match. It's a lazy political move by Portune and Driehaus to act like they're trying to save money. Their complete lack of awareness and leadership on this issue will cost us the bid or allow the stadium to be built in Kentucky.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:10:22 AM by cincydave8 »

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #777 on: October 27, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
As a big FCC fan (disclaimer: my first choice would be to stay at Nippert)... my initial thought was to also think that Paul Brown would be a bad venue for FCC... but I'm not sure *why*? Is it just because it's "too big"? Could that be solved with banners on the upper level (like Nippert)? Seeing Atlanta average 48k this past year sets a new standard for the MLS. I'm not sure we could average Atlanta-level attendance, but at the same time it seems short-sighted to spend $200+ million to build a small 25k stadium.  If we really believe soccer is only going to increase in popularity (as I believe), why should we spend so much money building a deliberately small new stadium?

As we've seen in Columbus recently, the owners and the MLS want dedicated stadiums because it gives them great leverage to negotiate ongoing public investment. I would really like to avoid that situation here in Cincinnati, though I know we don't have a ton of bargaining power when there are so many cities clamoring to get a new MLS team.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #778 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »
Paul Brown Stadium won't work for several reasons:

1) MLS won't let us in if our long-term plan is to utilize PBS. I shouldn't have to go further, but I will.
2) Mike Brown would receive way too much of the revenue to justify using it.
3) PBS is a characterless dungeon and provides no atmosphere
4) It's enormous. Atlanta has almost 3X the metro population of Cincinnati. We shouldn't expect to get close to Atlanta's attendance, even with the growing popularity of the sport. The biggest damper to a loud stadium is empty seats. A poor atmosphere decreases attendance. Part of the reason Nippert works right now is that it's an intimate venue where an empty upper deck doesn't seem bad.

They want a dedicated stadium for a lot of reasons. They want it so the MLS team can dictate scheduling. NYCFC has had to play two games in Connecticut because the Yankees went deep into the postseason. That makes the look look amateur. MLS teams in rented facilities often don't receive much from concessions or advertising because there are already deals in place and the revenue structure is established by the primary tenant.

Nippert has a lot of issues too. Aside from not controlling scheduling and revenue, FCC also doesn't have a locker room outside of game days. From what I've heard, there has been tension between UC Athletics and FCC due to the limited space availability. There isn't even a kitchen at Nippert to provide high quality food (which in turn, can charge a premium for club seats). It's worlds better since the renovation, and UC football should never leave Nippert, but it just isn't a great long-term solution for FCC.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #779 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
^Yeah... certainly using Paul Brown wouldn't make sense unless major changes were made to the ownership structure of both the stadium and FCC.

Detroit just today announced something along those lines, bringing the Ford family into the ownership group so that they can make Ford Field their preferred site. This is a change from their previous plan to build a new, dedicated 23,000-seat soccer stadium.

From the MLS's perspective, I have to think this puts Detroit near the top of expansion cities.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/ford-family-joins-bid-for-detroit-mls-team-with-ford-field-as-stadium
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2017/11/02/detroit-mls-bid-ford-field/823112001/