PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati Bengals Discussion  (Read 11718 times)

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
Re: Cincinnati Bengals Discussion
« Reply #1860 on: January 03, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
I've seen three lines of thought. First is "well who else are you going to get???". The second is, "well that's stupid" while the third and most interesting (conspiracy) theory is keeping Marvin is the next move in a process to move the Bengals to another market. Disenfranchise the fans by doing more of the same, so that when Hamilton county breaches the stadium contract in a year Mike Brown can search for greener pastures and the fan base won't be as rabid when fighting against him.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/10/16755860/could-the-bengals-be-leaving-cincinnati-in-the-near-future

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1861 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
I am more of the lines of "who else is a better candidate".  The Bengals were close this year to being a good team at times but they were super disjointed.  Could Marvin had said "Look Mike, you've got to give me complete control of the roster and FA moves.  Only then will I stay..."  If that is what it was, then I think that's a good deal for Cincinnati.

I get the whole no win in playoff, but the way the roster is now, it is fairly close to being a Division contender / wild card team.  If Brown is letting Marvin get straightened out the disjointedness, will see what happens in 2 years.

Also got to think, who would want to coach the Bengals with Brown at the helm, notorious for being a cheapster...

Offline edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1862 on: January 03, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »
It's such a shame that a coach who has been around 15 years without a single playoff victory is the best we can do in Cincinnati, but that does appear to be the case. I haven't really followed or cared about the Bengals since the Steeler playoff game collapse, so I don't really care what the inept organization does, but it would be nice if they even gave the appearance of caring about success occasionally.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1863 on: January 03, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
This news item is incredible.  Makes that ESPN reporter look ridiculous -- why risk your journalism career on such a minor scoop? 

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1864 on: January 04, 2018, 03:17:03 AM »
It's such a shame that a coach who has been around 15 years without a single playoff victory is the best we can do in Cincinnati, but that does appear to be the case. I haven't really followed or cared about the Bengals since the Steeler playoff game collapse, so I don't really care what the inept organization does, but it would be nice if they even gave the appearance of caring about success occasionally.
What happen the 15 years before Lewis?

Online cincydave8

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1865 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
What happen the 15 years before Lewis?

Yes, let's measure down not measure up. The Bengals also went to 2 Super Bowls in the 1980s. Nowhere else would a coach who can't win in the playoffs and can't beat their main rival (Pittsburgh) be allowed to stay around this long. The Bengals will be lucky to average to 50,000 fans this year.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1866 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see a steep drop-off in season ticket holders in 2018 and 2019

Online thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1867 on: January 04, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
Not counting the LA teams (both of which are playing in temporary stadiums that are too large and too small respectively) the Bengals are last in total attendance and percentage of capacity filled. I would imagine this trend will continue.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1868 on: January 04, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
Not counting the LA teams (both of which are playing in temporary stadiums that are too large and too small respectively)

Too small?

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59930c2e/turbine/sd-sp-chargers-stubhub-crowd-20170814

Online AmrapinVA

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1869 on: January 04, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
Not counting the LA teams (both of which are playing in temporary stadiums that are too large and too small respectively) the Bengals are last in total attendance and percentage of capacity filled. I would imagine this trend will continue.

With Hue staying on in Cleveland and a 1-31 record over two seasons I'd like to think the Browns can break through that Bengals threshold next year.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1870 on: January 22, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
I'm hearing a rumor that one of Marvin Lewis's kids or relatives has had a love child with someone in the Brown family.  If so, this is the greatest local urban legend since the Bob Huggins/Jeff Wyler's Wife affair urban legend. 

Offline edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1871 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
I know one of the Brown children had a baby with a Russian/Eastern European girl who was teaching tennis at Cincinnati Tennis Club. It was a bit of a scandal at the time, but I think they actually ended up marrying.

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1872 on: February 15, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
This is just the dumbest franchise.