PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Police Use of Force  (Read 7289 times)

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Police Use of Force
« Reply #1500 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
The number of knee-jerk police protestors who reversed themselves over the Minnesota shooting because the cop is black and Muslim is also remarkable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:16:36 PM by Ram23 »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
The number of knee-jerk police protestors who reversed themselves over the Minnesota shooting because the cop is black and Muslim is also remarkable.

Who is defending this cop?  Who is using the tact you usually use when the victim is black?

Offline MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
I think it's more to do with the victim is an attractive white lady who by all accounts was kind and law abiding.
Going with,
She called 911
Not armed
No altercation or fighting with the police
No police commands given or the need to be followed

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1503 on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
^what happened to "let's wait for all the evidence to come out"??

Offline MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1504 on: July 21, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
I am all for that. Observations based on initial reporting, which often is poor.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1505 on: July 22, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
Alright, I'll say it.  We should wait for all the evidence to come out before we condemn the police.  This case is damned peculiar, but I have to imagine something happened that made the police officer feel threatened, rightly or not.  I'd like to at least have some idea what that was before making any judgements.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1506 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
I am all for that. Observations based on initial reporting, which often is poor.

I'm for waiting on evidence as well, but it's almost unprecedented for the shooter's partner to instantly take a WTF approach.

I'm surprised ISIS hasn't claimed credit for this guy yet.  I suspect they have a few times when they learned of the attack in the media.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1507 on: July 22, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
Alright, I'll say it.  We should wait for all the evidence to come out before we condemn the police.  This case is damned peculiar, but I have to imagine something happened that made the police officer feel threatened, rightly or not.  I'd like to at least have some idea what that was before making any judgements.

Absolutely peculiar. And since the police didn't bother turning on their cameras, we have to completely rely on them to be truthful. In other words, we're never going to know what actually happened. 

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1508 on: July 23, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »
I wonder if they guy didn't do it on purpose, just to expose how a black cop gets prosecuted for such an act, while a white cop goes free and keeps his job...

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1509 on: July 23, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
Does anyone know of the other cop could be charged too since he was with the cop that shot the woman? It happens to civilian's all the time if someone you are with commits a crime.

I hope they keep these 2 cops separate, so they can't collude to have the same story of what happened.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1510 on: July 23, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. Cops love to pull people over and if something is suspicious, separate them and have the two officers interview them separately to look for inconsistencies in their story. The same tactic should apply when investigating police.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1511 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
I didn't know that this story would go on to be such a big deal. Heh, Ram thought it would barely get any media coverage, due to the 'demographics' involved. Boy was he wrong. On the contrary, this has become one of the most popular news stories of the week/month, at this point. This Aussie white woman in Minnesota shot and killed by a Somali refugee cop might be considered the 2017 Harambe.

A lot of my (black) friends on Facebook are pointing out how different the media coverage is on this story vs. the standard police brutality story wherein a white cop shoots/kills a black person. In all fairness, it does seem that she did absolutely nothing wrong; she simply walked up to the driver's side of a cruiser before being shot. In a lot of these cases where black men are shot and killed, you do hear about them running from the police, resisting arrest and so-on. It is interesting though, how journalists painted the victim in this case. She is an 'animal lover'; she rescued a 3-legged dog who became her life-long pet or some sh!t. I do think this case is getting much more coverage than most other police brutality cases where the victim is of a different race.

If you want to know my honest opinion though, I don't think the Somali cop was committing Jihad or was clinically insane. He somehow sensed danger to the extend that he naturally felt the need to shoot - and he probably didn't think that it would be a fatal shot. Unfortunately it was and that is a reality he is going to have to live with for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:12:38 PM by David »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1512 on: July 23, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Running away is not a valid reason to shoot some one. I'm not sure if you are implying that in your post

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1513 on: July 24, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Offline MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1514 on: July 24, 2017, 07:02:59 AM »
Does anyone know of the other cop could be charged too since he was with the cop that shot the woman? It happens to civilian's all the time if someone you are with commits a crime.

I hope they keep these 2 cops separate, so they can't collude to have the same story of what happened.
No it wasn't premeditated.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1515 on: July 24, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »
^ Your response is confusing.  could you please clarify?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1516 on: August 07, 2017, 01:24:40 AM »
A cop stopped a car for speeding — then pointed a gun at a passenger for more than 9 minutes - The Washington Post https://t.co/wMJkwHzvA2
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1517 on: August 07, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
^ That seems like a very proper traffic stop. The video makes the passenger and driver seem rather immature. The officer had every reason to draw his weapon when he saw the passenger fumbling under the seat, out of view. Once the weapon was drawn, the passenger escalated the situation and created the need for the officer to keep it drawn, until backup arrived.

There are a dozen or so takeaways from this video, but all of them are lessons learned about the passenger's actions, not the cops. Among them are don't reach around suspiciously under your seat when pulled over. There are also some lessons about common courtesy and civility - for example, it's a lot more police to refer to a stranger as "sir" than "bro." Little things like that contribute to an overall aura of belligerence, disrespectfulness, and unruliness - which isn't exactly something you want to exhibit to strangers, especially ones tasked with upholding the law. It makes everyone not trust you.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1518 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
^Civility?  What's that?  Can it run amuck?

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1519 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:58 AM »
Saw the movie "Detroit" this weekend about a group of rogue city cops protected by complicit state troopers and national guardsmen, who savagely murdered 3 teenagers during the height of the 1967 Detroit riots,... and got away with it...

It's really disheartening to see that not much has changed in America some 50 years later.  If anything, thanks to Trump and Sessions, we're heading backwards...

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1520 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
Saw the movie "Detroit" this weekend about a group of rogue city cops protected by complicit state troopers and national guardsmen, who savagely murdered 3 teenagers during the height of the 1967 Detroit riots,... and got away with it...

It's really disheartening to see that not much has changed in America some 50 years later.  If anything, thanks to Trump and Sessions, we're heading backwards...

oh right. never mind that the most notorious of recent racially-tinged shootings--Trayvon Martin, Ferguson, Philando Castile, etc.--happened while Obama was president.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1521 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »
^ And those shootings led to attempts at reform which were labeled as anti-cop by the MAGA crowd including Trump and Jefferson Beauregard Session III

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #1522 on: August 07, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »
A cop stopped a car for speeding — then pointed a gun at a passenger for more than 9 minutes - The Washington Post https://t.co/wMJkwHzvA2

The full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntqumzeJsY&feature=youtu.be
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1523 on: August 08, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »

oh right. never mind that the most notorious of recent racially-tinged shootings--Trayvon Martin, Ferguson, Philando Castile, etc.--happened while Obama was president.

Why does everyone talk about these cases, and never the John Crawford case which if anything was worse?

By the way, the movie was fictional.  Surrounding events may have been, but the movie was.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1524 on: August 08, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
^Because the alt-right never found any social media postings of Crawford in gold teeth

Online DarkandStormy

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1525 on: August 21, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/euclid/index.ssf/2017/08/euclid_police_union_issues_sta.html

A Euclid police officer is on paid leave pending the investigation of an arrest he made, shown in a video now shared around the internet.  To add to it, he's had several issues in the past:

Amiott was involved in two crashes in 2015 and 2017.
In May 2015, he lost a suspect's cellphone while gathering evidence in a criminal case.
And in 2016, he hit a suspect with his gun out of fear for his safety. A letter written that August by Lt. Timothy Verh said that when asked about the incident, Amiott lost his temper and said, "Just read me Garrity. I heard how you are from other guys and wouldn't have believed it, now I do."

He was given a written reprimand after hitting a suspect with a gun and mouthing off to his supervisor and for the two crashes. He was given an oral reprimand after he lost the cell phone.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1526 on: August 22, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
A police union’s new video claims that “blue racism” against cops is more racist than actual racism https://t.co/9VLQP89VyL
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1527 on: August 27, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
BREAKING: Trump administration prepares to lift limits on providing surplus military equipment to local police. https://t.co/TGqca3B8zq

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1528 on: August 27, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/euclid/index.ssf/2017/08/euclid_police_union_issues_sta.html

A Euclid police officer is on paid leave pending the investigation of an arrest he made, shown in a video now shared around the internet.  To add to it, he's had several issues in the past:

Amiott was involved in two crashes in 2015 and 2017.
In May 2015, he lost a suspect's cellphone while gathering evidence in a criminal case.
And in 2016, he hit a suspect with his gun out of fear for his safety. A letter written that August by Lt. Timothy Verh said that when asked about the incident, Amiott lost his temper and said, "Just read me Garrity. I heard how you are from other guys and wouldn't have believed it, now I do."

He was given a written reprimand after hitting a suspect with a gun and mouthing off to his supervisor and for the two crashes. He was given an oral reprimand after he lost the cell phone.

This case looks bad, but is higher profile because of the Luke Stewart case.  Stewart was shot trying to flee when the cops questioned him being parked on South Lakeshore for no apparent reason.  An officer was partially in his car when he drove off.

Few if any of the stories mentioned his previous appearance in the news:

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/lakeshore-boyz-street-gang-busted-up-during-pre-dawn-raids-gang-was-major-source-of-heroin-dealing

The Lakeshore Boyz had a pattern of making drug trades in parking lots and other places easily accesible to the freeway.  Once neighbors complained and EPD ran the plate, they had every reason to question him.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:59:36 PM by E Rocc »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1529 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Here’s the weapons and surplus gear your local police force has received from the U.S. military https://t.co/AE8HKNrRfd
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:26:28 PM by KJP »