PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: In The World: Turkey  (Read 575 times)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:32:09 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: In the World: Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »
Can the world just pause for one month?

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
Well, now we know what a false flag operation looks like.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
Turkey is looking more and more like a false flag operation as time goes by. I'd be surprised if the entire coup wasn't inspired by Erdogen's supporters so that they could kill off their opposition, inspire Muslim extremists, and create the basis for establishing a more authoritarian dictatorship. Erdogan himself is making surprisingly thinly veiled comments giving this away:

Brutal backlash against Turkey coup as mobs behead rebel soldiers in the streets

President Erdogan said: “They will pay a heavy price for this. This uprising is a gift from God to us because this will be a reason to cleanse our army”
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:23:07 PM by Ram23 »

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:47 PM »
In another sure sign of a false flag, Erdogan has made a list of people to purge very, very quickly, and hasn't hesitated a bit to start with the purges:

Turkey's education board demands 1,577 university deans (every one in the country) resign

Here's a list of the Turkey purge I've seen making the rounds:

Demand for 1577 University Deans resignation

30 governors fired

9000 in Interior Ministry fired

Over 2000 judges dismissed

3,000,000 civil servants banned from going on holiday

Talks of reenabling the death penalty

1500 Finance Ministry officials suspended

103 generals/admirals detained for questioning

?? soldiers fired/imprisoned

15200 Ministry of Education personnel fired

Several news/media outlets broadcast licenses withdrawn

Turkey's spy agency suspends 100 people

492 state religious personnel removed

21000 private teachers licenses revoked

393 personnel in Ministry of Family and Social Policy dismissed

It will be very interesting to see if this pattern repeats itself again throughout Europe over the next few decades.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: In The World: Turkey
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
Scary times. Fear seldom produces advancements in humanity. It won't here either....

Erdogan Claims Vast Powers in Turkey After Narrow Victory in Referendum
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/world/europe/turkey-referendum-polls-erdogan.html
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
Scary times. Fear seldom produces advancements in humanity. It won't here either....

Erdogan Claims Vast Powers in Turkey After Narrow Victory in Referendum
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/world/europe/turkey-referendum-polls-erdogan.html

Erdogan is a long time ally of the EU and US. Beyond his "help" in Syria, the EU is using his country to process Syrians and other refugees and keep them out of their continent. The EU promised to pay Turkey 3 billion Euros to his government over this issue. I've always maintained that the West looks pretty hypocritical when it slams Putin yet gives this guy a pass. Western Media pretty much buried the news of all his governmental and academic purges that have been going on since the failed "coup". Putin wished he could set up Russia like Erdogan has set up our friend Turkey.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:23:52 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
I hadn't followed it recently but I can't believe Turkey is still in negotiations to join the EU! What a joke! How many purges does the EU allow before membership?

Great article below with historical context. Again this is a EU/US ally. With friends like these...

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/16/rip-turkey-1921-2017/

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
They are about as likely to join the EU as Trump is going to volunteer his tax records. Just not happening.

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
They are about as likely to join the EU as Trump is going to volunteer his tax records. Just not happening.

Still have an application under review. Still have favored status. Not surprisingly Merkel is nowhere to be found on this subject. She brokered the deal to give Erdogan three billion Euros.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:36:05 PM by AmrapinVA »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
If they bring back the death penalty as Erdogan proposes then they will not be eligible for EU membership, which is likely the point of doing so.  And I have read many disturbing stories about Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian ways in the Western press.

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
If they bring back the death penalty as Erdogan proposes then they will not be eligible for EU membership, which is likely the point of doing so.  And I have read many disturbing stories about Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian ways in the Western press.

It's interesting that the folks in Brussels have been much more quiet on Turkey's vote compared to the UK. The EU can disqualify the application before Erdogan disqualifies his country. Have they yet? Of course not. I'm sure those three billion Euros to keep the migrants at the border have something to do with that.

I have no doubt you have read stories. Western Media reports on Turkey but they do bury the stories. I'm hooked on Reuters. Putin is the main page over Erdogan 30 to 1. Not a whisper on the main site page about the purges since the "coup". Erdogan is actually doing what Putin wishes he could do and they are still an actual applicant to the EU. It's just makes Europe look really, really bad.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:35:38 PM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
i'm confused.  Are you suggesting some sort of collusion between "the Western Media" and the EU to keep whatever is going on in Turkey under wraps? 

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
i'm confused.  Are you suggesting some sort of collusion between "the Western Media" and the EU to keep whatever is going on in Turkey under wraps? 

No. I'm suggesting that when the EU made the deal with Turkey over the migrants they pretty much agreed to a deal with the devil. I mean if Brussels had any leverage they would pulled Turkey's favored status and it's EU application. AFAIK none of that has been done. 

As for the press, Turkey isn't sexy. It's just jailing and killing people. It's not the grand global conspiracy that has been tied to Putin.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
^^^No skin of my back every time if you keep posting this stuff, but you might consider whether your impressions of general things like "Western Media" and "folks in Brussels" are based on verifiable reality or just confirmation bias. You clearly have a strong opinion on these things, but it's a little odd for the rest of us to keep being told we aren't seeing the many stories we are reading on various topics.

As for Turkey and the EU: it's literally a decades long process, and it's a frequent political pinata, with the EU disingenuously dangling more advanced accession talks in return for concessions from Turkey. It's seen as a point of leverage. But all that said, you're not even right about the basic fact you're asserting.  It's the national governments who work hard to cultivate Turkey as a partner in controlling migration, so might be biting their tongues (no different from the U.S. in many situation). The MEP's in Brussels actually voted overwhelmingly in support of cutting off negotiations with the Erdogan government:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38090121
The European Parliament has voted to suspend Turkey's EU membership talks because of the Turkish government's crackdown since a coup attempt in July.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:20:54 PM by StrapHanger »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
it's a little odd for the rest of us to keep being told we aren't seeing the many stories we are reading on various topics.

Agreed

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
+1 on it being an odd tactic.  I have read a pretty steady stream of articles on the NYT, and listened to stories about it on NPR and BBC.  But I guess that's just the lamestream lib'rl media for you.  And is Reuters not Western Media?

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
Yeah, all this personal stuff about me on here yet Turkey STILL has favored nation status with the EU!

EU parliament calls for Turkey accession talks to be suspended

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-eu-parliament-idUSKBN19R194

I guess Reuters has confirmation bias too.  :-D

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
Despite thousands imprisoned due to the Erdogan's mass purges since the fake coup and an a successful follow up "election" designed to centralize government to a level Putin can only dream of it's only the death penalty EU leaders care about when dealing with Turkey

Wonder where the EU stands on human rights? Considering how much the EU is ignoring about Erdogan the bar is set very, very low. Unless you're Putin. Then the EU ministers love to grandstand.

More confirmation bias from ABC News and CNN:

Juncker: EU's hand remains outstretched to Turkey

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/juncker-eus-hand-remains-outstretched-turkey-48664603

A year after failed coup in Turkey, Erdogan says 'behead traitors'

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/europe/turkey-coup-attempt-anniversary/index.html
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:05:12 PM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Old AmrapinVA

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
This is after Turkey has detained six individuals from Amnesty International:

Mogherini: Turkey Remains EU Candidate, Despite Rights Record

https://www.rferl.org/a/mogherini-turkey-eu-candidate-rights-record-cavosoglu-celik/28637769.html

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »
Turkey's President Erdogan—now elected to @UNESCO board which is tasked with protecting global press freedom—defended the jailing of Turkish journalists, and lashed out at a French reporter during a tense visit on Friday to Paris. https://t.co/g62YLxfssJ
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »
Turkey's President Erdogan—now elected to @UNESCO board which is tasked with protecting global press freedom—defended the jailing of Turkish journalists, and lashed out at a French reporter during a tense visit on Friday to Paris. https://t.co/g62YLxfssJ

Is this surprising? The world community (and European leaders in particular) continue to ignore this guy's actions for the better part of a decade. This is the problem with many world leaders acting like Putin is the only evil 24/7. Europe pays him off to create an eastern migrant wall. He's basically destroyed Ataturk's ideal of having Turkey joining the European community and is dragging the country culturally back towards the Arabian peninsula. It's a real shame.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:59:35 AM by AmrapinVA »