PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Police Use of Force  (Read 12993 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Police Use of Force
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
Chris Stanford ‏@StanfordKMOV  39m
Moment of silence for #MikeBrown at the Arch
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:56:20 AM by ryanlammi »
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Police Use of Force
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
Talking Points Memo ‏@TPM  2h
PHOTO: Howard University students respond to death of #Ferguson teen http://bit.ly/Ya8S9K 

"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
This is how the mostly white Ferguson police force responded to protests after they killed #MikeBrown.

This is what a REAL police officer looks like SERVING & PROTECTING his community. Bravo to State Police Captain Ron Johnson in #Ferguson! Keep marching and stay strong brothers and sisters of #Ferguson!#JusticeforMikeBrown

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
Totally different scenarios, one in the middle of day, another at night after protesters turned violent.  Don't forget the police are under attack.  Over 2 dozen police cars have been destroyed, dozens of officers have been attacked & injured by rocks & even gunshots.  Everywhere you look, people have tagged "FTP" which is "F_  the Police".   

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »
Totally different scenarios, one in the middle of day, another at night after protesters turned violent.  Don't forget the police are under attack.  Over 2 dozen police cars have been destroyed, dozens of officers have been attacked & injured by rocks & even gunshots.  Everywhere you look, people have tagged "FTP" which is "F_  the Police".   

Try living in a community where you have no voice and are constantly under siege by a militarized police force that treats you as a second-class citizen. Until you do, you couldn't possibly try to understand the citizens of this oppressed community who decided to respond with the only voice they had. Frankly, I'm impressed they showed so much restraint.

EDIT: and if your "blame the oppressed" viewpoints are typical of white conservatives in this country, then Ferguson will be remembered as a mild, opening battle in a civil war among the classes and races in America. I'm surprised it's taken this long. Heck, I was beginning to think the only thing that would cause a revolt in this country was a beer truck strike.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:48:41 PM by KJP »

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »
^^Where are you finding these numbers? Sick of these generic articles that I keep coming across that are just skewed one way or another, or Reuters/AP copy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:45:31 PM by Loretto »

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
^^Where are you finding these numbers? Sick of these generic articles that I keep coming across that are just skewed one way or another, or Reuters/AP copy.

CNN this morning interviewed the Chief of Ferguson Police.  He gave those numbers when Chris Cuomo asked him about the militarized response. 

Try living in a community where you have no voice and are constantly under siege by a militarized police force that treats you as a second-class citizen. Until you do, you couldn't possibly try to understand the citizens of this oppressed community who decided to respond with the only voice they had. Frankly, I'm impressed they showed so much restraint.

Keep waging the class war KJP,  because rioting and looting a Walmart and burning down a gas station is the way to equality...   

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
Keep waging the class war KJP,  because rioting and looting a Walmart and burning down a gas station is the way to equality...   

I'm not waging it. I'm watching it.

Online jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
You don't think that the police have been a little too quick to pull triggers on black men recently? Black men who have time and time again been unarmed with no criminal record? And if they police do it that means citizens can do it too right?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:23:51 PM by jjames0408 »

Offline DM4

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
NSFW

Offline DeanSheen

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »

I'm not waging it. I'm watching it.

The Class War meme only works on low information individuals.  There has been an avalanche of evidence based economic studies this past year or so that have detailed exactly what is going on economically in this country.

The Class war is being waged on the 99% and these people, in the bottom third of the 99% are really being hit hard. 

I tire of this looting response as well but these people are poor, frustrated, and have been dealing with this situation in their community for a long time.  I'm not sure how you raise education, awareness and quality of life enough in communities like these to stop it when abuses of force that is murder occurs within their borders.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
I think there are alot of issues at play here in the Ferguson situation.  Racial inequality, a police force that doesn't represent its citizens, an unjustified killing, and a lot of outsiders, including those in the media, trying to exploit the situation.  How much of the rioting & violence is actual acting out due to the oppression and how much is just acting up for the camera trucks which are now on every corner of the town?  The truth will come out, the officer will be charged & convicted of wrongful death, but what will really change for the residents of Ferguson? 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:59:19 PM by gottaplan »

Offline Whipjacka

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
I don't think this is a justifiable reaction to maintain the peace when the protests are about the police acting with general impunity.  The militarization of local police is the single most compelling reason, in my estimation, to support the second amendment.

Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police
Sen. Rand Paul @SenRandPaul

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
How many blacks murder other blacks? Anyone thinks the cop got up in the morning, gotta kill me a young black guy today.

Offline Whipjacka

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »
so, you're saying that blacks killing other blacks is the reason why this cop killed an unarmed person?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
How many blacks murder other blacks? Anyone thinks the cop got up in the morning, gotta kill me a young black guy today.

Probably at least as many whites who murder whites. Or other ethnic groups murdering within their own groups. That's not even close to the point. The point is that police are supposed to make us feel safer. Police operate at the behest of elected officials. And elected officials often operate at the behest of wealthy campaign contributors. Of course this is over-simplification. But when a community is largely populated with a minority group but their elected officials are mostly white as is the police force, then a reasonable conclusion is that the people are not being represented by those overseeing them. That's when frustrations bubble up and boil over when the lid is taken off by a police officer killing an unarmed kid with no history of trouble.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:19:38 PM by KJP »

Offline Bosco4789

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
No, what he's saying is, people only get upset when it is white on black shootings.  There has been nothing proven as yet, the only evidence from the police reports says that someone was actually fighting in the police car for the officer's gun. If true, that should get you shot every time!  The "other person", the only eyewitness said "he was innocent".  Everyone says they are innocent! 

Pictures of people lighting Molotov cocktails is always good for a peaceful protest.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
how ironic would it be if the cop turned out to not be white

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
No, what he's saying is, people only get upset when it is white on black shootings.  There has been nothing proven as yet, the only evidence from the police reports says that someone was actually fighting in the police car for the officer's gun. If true, that should get you shot every time!  The "other person", the only eyewitness said "he was innocent".  Everyone says they are innocent! 

Pictures of people lighting Molotov cocktails is always good for a peaceful protest.

You're assuming the police officer didn't make up the story to justify his actions. Sorry, but I've seen too many cops who assume the worst from minorities, and some of the comments in this thread show that some of you feel the same way as they do. You folks scare me and make me realize how bad things have gotten in this country.

Once a black police officer (the chief of the state police) showed up to take command, the protests got very peaceful. He led the protest parade himself. Why did it get peaceful? Because the people felt like they were being respected as people. Isn't that amazing how that works? Stop telling people how they should feel. Go listen to them, ESPECIALLY if you can't understand why they do what they do. Anything else just makes things worse.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:27:10 PM by KJP »

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »

Yep, this. You also never see violent protests when a black cop takes down another black person.

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
how ironic would it be if the cop turned out to not be white
He is probably white. Cops would have marched out that he is black by now.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
Kyle, I realize this is an emotional subject, but we're not going to call someone else stupid. Instead, if you really care about what someone's response was to you, ask him why he said it.

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Wow, what a mess. You can highlight almost every single one of our country's major problems on display here.

Two points, one to impugn both sides:

1) If your response to this event is to loot businesses in your neighborhood (likely owned by your neighbors), you're a complete fool. Protesting and marching, that makes sense. Breaking a window and stealing as many bottles of wine that you can carry? That shows some true ignorance and opportunism and does nothing to improve things in your community.

2) I think we have a newer generation of police officers that are even more anxious to use force, even when unnecessary. After all, they're being recruiting using the following types of videos:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/05/05/another-troubling-police-recruiting-video/

Scary stuff.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:55:47 PM by Clevelander17 »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
Agreed on both counts.

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:46 PM »
Kyle, I realize this is an emotional subject, but we're not going to call someone else stupid. Instead, if you really care about what someone's response was to you, ask him why he said it.

What he did was straight crap. You know it and I know it. Sometimes you gotta call it out. I did.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
What he did was straight crap. You know it and I know it. Sometimes you gotta call it out. I did.

No, he was calling YOU out. You should've known it.

And so is Bill Maher (this is from THREE WEEKS AGO)........

Offline OCtoCincy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »

This was Thursday.  The City of St Louis police took over for the County of St Louis police. 

The riot and lawlessness and chaos was about horrible police leadership.  Not about white vs. black.  There are dozens of photos of St Louis City police (white and black) today who have been marching with protestors or working with them peacefully.  The militarization of police doesn't help, and neither does the old school system of policing.  You bad, me good. Relationships, understanding, trust, openness, etc. is what is lacking in a poorly managed, poorly trained suburban police force not accustomed to dealing with diverse groups of people, especially in emotional and highly charged circumstances such as after the fatal shooting of an unarmed teen followed by an intense, over the top police response.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:28:26 PM by OCtoCincy »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »
"@CityLab: Ferguson is mostly black. Why is its government so white? http://t.co/d1M9foO9fN via @slate #cityreads"

Offline Quimbob

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
"@CityLab: Ferguson is mostly black. Why is its government so white? http://t.co/d1M9foO9fN via @slate #cityreads"
In other words, democracy doesn’t always serve the poor.
or, democracy doesn't always serve the people who don't participate.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:18 AM »
Renamed thread.