PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: IKEA - Cleveland  (Read 11486 times)

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: IKEA - Cleveland
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
I just did an IKEA search and they plan to open a store outside Milwaukee next summer. Milwaukee?? A metro area much smaller than Cleveland's. There must be some weird dynamics going on for Cleveland's failure to attract a store. But forget IKEA. Cleveland should be trying to attract more Trader Joe's. Something everyone can use!

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Milwaukee has 600,000 people, six Fortune 500s, quite a few vibrant and safe neighborhoods, a fantastic, accessible waterfront, and is only 90 miles from Chicagoland. I don't know much about Ikea, and am frankly fascinated that its absence warrants so much conversation, but can see how Milwaukee is a more attractive market.

Offline Sir2geez

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
^Ikea is large box store. Not hating on Milwaukee, but it's significantly smaller than Cleveland. This is what's so surprising about the Milwaukee announcement.  We may be over thinking this. Ikea clearly has interest in the region. They had the Brooklyn site until the EPA stepped in. It's not like they haven't been trying.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
^Ikea is large box store. Not hating on Milwaukee, but it's significantly smaller than Cleveland. This is what's so surprising about the Milwaukee announcement.  We may be over thinking this. Ikea clearly has interest in the region. They had the Brooklyn site until the EPA stepped in. It's not like they haven't been trying.

Milwaukee proper has over 700,000

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2017, 03:34:45 PM »
It's actually about 600,000, metro a little over 2 million

Offline Sir2geez

« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Metro Cleveland is larger than Metro Milwaukee.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
I recall that IKEA has, indicated they want something central to NEO and accessible to Akron/Canton. The more things move away from 480/77 and towards downtown/Steelyard,  or far east or west, the less appealing the site is for the overall NEO market.

As for metro Milwaukee (1.5+ million smaller than NEO) - those not familiar with the metro or the IKEA store location in Oak Creek, a southern suburb (I lived in MKE for 5 years) - should understand that MIlwaukee is as short a drive (an easy 40-60 mins) for those in northern Chicago suburbs - as those suburbs would often be to the original (of 2 in Chicagoland) Schaumburg IKEA store, in moderate or worse traffic. This is really Chicago store 2.5.

Offline tastybunns

« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2017, 11:18:25 PM »
It has less to do with population and more of where the money is.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
^ummmm...by that are you trying suggest there's money in Milwaukee than Cleveland? That's laughable. If Chicago has two stores already, you can't count Chicago money.  There is far more money in CLE than Milwaukee--no matter how great of a town Milwaukee is.

According to the US Dept of Labor--Real Personal Income -- 2015:

Milwaukee MSA (Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI): $80.0B
Cleveland MSA:  $98.5B

But since the Cleveland Ikea would draw at least from the CLE, Akron, and Canton MSAs (not to mention Sandusky, Ashtabula, and Youngstown areas), here's the total for CLE-Akron-Canton MSAs:  $146.3B -- that's 1.8x the size of Milwaukee--almost TWICE the amount of money.  [Source, BLS, 2015].

I agree with whoever said it earlier: there's definitely something strange for Ikea when it comes to Cleveland. As a major company, you don't ignore a $150B market in preference for smaller ones unless there's good reason.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »
It all makes sense now. IKEA is dragging their feet in Cleveland because they're angling to locate inside Tower City.

Dream On
-Aerosmith

The Tiny Ikea of the Future, Without Meatballs or Showroom Mazes
The world’s biggest furniture retailer wants younger shoppers who don’t drive.
By Carol Matlack

Whether in San Diego, Novosibirsk, or Tokyo, the Ikea experience is almost as standardized as its flat packs. The blue-and-yellow big box, the vast showroom maze, the Swedish meatballs in the cafeteria—this formula propelled Ikea of Sweden AB to global No. 1 in furniture retailing, with €38.3 billion ($45.7 billion) in sales and more than 400 stores in 49 countries.

There are no meatballs in Ikea’s newest London outlet, part of a shopping mall in a redeveloped urban neighborhood near the 2012 Summer Olympics complex. One of two dozen small-scale stores that Ikea has opened since 2015, it measures only 900 square meters (2,550 square feet), while the typical suburban Ikea sprawls across more than 25,000 square meters. It has a few model rooms fitted out with furniture and accessories, but hardly anything can be purchased and taken home immediately. Instead, shoppers use touchscreen computers to place orders and arrange for delivery or pickup later.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-10/the-tiny-ikea-of-the-future-without-meatballs-or-showroom-mazes

Offline BigDipper 80

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
It’s kind of funny that little ol’ Dayton has three IKEAs that are all closer to Dayton than either the Pittsburgh or Columbus IKEA is to Cleveland.

Actually, Dayton probably has the most IKEAs-per-capita within driving distance in the US!
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online subocincy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »
It all makes sense now. IKEA is dragging their feet in Cleveland because they're angling to locate inside Tower City.

Dream On
-Aerosmith

The Tiny Ikea of the Future, Without Meatballs or Showroom Mazes
The world’s biggest furniture retailer wants younger shoppers who don’t drive.
By Carol Matlack

Whether in San Diego, Novosibirsk, or Tokyo, the Ikea experience is almost as standardized as its flat packs. The blue-and-yellow big box, the vast showroom maze, the Swedish meatballs in the cafeteria—this formula propelled Ikea of Sweden AB to global No. 1 in furniture retailing, with €38.3 billion ($45.7 billion) in sales and more than 400 stores in 49 countries.

There are no meatballs in Ikea’s newest London outlet, part of a shopping mall in a redeveloped urban neighborhood near the 2012 Summer Olympics complex. One of two dozen small-scale stores that Ikea has opened since 2015, it measures only 900 square meters (2,550 square feet), while the typical suburban Ikea sprawls across more than 25,000 square meters. It has a few model rooms fitted out with furniture and accessories, but hardly anything can be purchased and taken home immediately. Instead, shoppers use touchscreen computers to place orders and arrange for delivery or pickup later.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-10/the-tiny-ikea-of-the-future-without-meatballs-or-showroom-mazes
At first glance, I thought this entry might be a joke...wrong.  IKEA may actually introduce such a "new concept" store somewhere within urban Cleveland, rather than just another big-box outlet somewhere out in a suburb.  A radically downsized, urban IKEA would be guaranteed to attract both a large number of young shoppers and the envy of other peer cities. 

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:44 AM »
I have it from a source I can't name (but you can probably guess if you know me) that IKEA is definitely coming to Garfield Heights. Obviously it hasn't been announced formally, but the behind-the-scenes stuff has started! :-)

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
I have it from a source I can't name (but you can probably guess if you know me) that IKEA is definitely coming to Garfield Heights. Obviously it hasn't been announced formally, but the behind-the-scenes stuff has started! :-)
Keep an eye on this development  :wink:

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/09/bridgeview_crossing_site_in_ga.html#comments

;)

Online Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
I wonder if Cleveland has missed (for good) the first wave of monster IKEA stores.  Today's FT quotes their CEO Jesper Brodin saying that the big-box drive-in-and-pick-up suburban days are over and the retailer will concentrate on "city centres" with affordable home delivery. They are planning ten early openings in the usual mega-cities - New York, London, Tokyo, etc.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
Not sure if CLE will miss the big store trend or not or if small stores are more for Europe, etc... The original CLE plan was for around 350K sf which is on the bigger side (recent Indy opening <300K sf but Columbus around 350K sf). 

What I do know is that IKEA generally only makes new store announcements on Tuesdays or Thursdays in US...  with rumors usually breaking the prior day, so am paying more attention on Mondays and Wednesdays for the coming months. Today is Wed so when I saw the post pop up... Well...

Online Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
^ Sorry to disappoint you.  Brodin was speaking in the UK but his comments seemed to cover the whole company. Lots of experimenting is going on in terms of format and more specialized merchandising. Here's a shorter free version of the article.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2018/04/ikea-ceo-announced-dramatic-transformation-plans/

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
Work on widening the Transportation Blvd overpass over 480 has begun - with support columns going up now. This has been long planned to prepare for development at this exit, but is hopefully another plus to a hopeful IKEA Garfield Heights location.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
^ Sorry to disappoint you.  Brodin was speaking in the UK but his comments seemed to cover the whole company. Lots of experimenting is going on in terms of format and more specialized merchandising. Here's a shorter free version of the article.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2018/04/ikea-ceo-announced-dramatic-transformation-plans/

Well, Dougal was right to sound the alarm above on Ikea's future US plans - and we may now know why no CLE/Garfield Heights announcement, when it seemed so imminent:  3 new suburban stores Ikea already announced and that were in the works - including the first stores planned for fast-growth Nashville and Raleigh - were cancelled in the last week - with no mention of alternate locations in those areas that might be more in keeping with Ikea's new small/urban approach.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/29/ikea-store-location-nashville-antioch-near-me/654149002/

It would be good to think that perhaps a Tower City Ikea showroom might be a great new, urban-Ikea solution for CLE (shop there to look and touch... order online) - but not holding my breath...

Offline audidave

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
I prefer the idea of shipping direct to Cleveland and putting the store north of the CBS. It would be likely the cheapest solution. A Cleveland Ikea port could supply Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Columbus as well.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »
^what is the CBS?

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
^what is the CBS?

I assume Cleveland Browns Stadium.   Very few non-media people here call it F**** E*****.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
^That makes sense.  I read it as Columbus.  But that makes no sense.  Maybe i need some sleep.

Online Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
Well, Dougal was right to sound the alarm above on Ikea's future US plans - and we may now know why no CLE/Garfield Heights announcement, when it seemed so imminent:  3 new suburban stores Ikea already announced and that were in the works - including the first stores planned for fast-growth Nashville and Raleigh - were cancelled in the last week - with no mention of alternate locations in those areas that might be more in keeping with Ikea's new small/urban approach.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/29/ikea-store-location-nashville-antioch-near-me/654149002/

It would be good to think that perhaps a Tower City Ikea showroom might be a great new, urban-Ikea solution for CLE (shop there to look and touch... order online) - but not holding my breath...

If it's any consolation, car traffic to the IKEA in my area seems down. It used to be a traffic jam every day at popular times and all day on the weekends; now it no longer is - and nothing has been done to the roadways.

Showrooms coupled with next-day or sooner delivery seems right for intown locations.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
^what is the CBS?

I assume Cleveland Browns Stadium.   Very few non-media people here call it F**** E*****.

Thanks. I read it as Columbia Broadcasting System.....which made no sense. I never heard Browns Stadium called CBS. I just say 'Browns Stadium' though I have said "muny stadium" or "Municipal Stadium" a few times.....I know its a different structure....but the location is the same. I am old.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »

I hate IKEA mostly for it's cheap ugly products but also for it's sprawling warehouse footprints and "pick & load yourself" sales approach...

If the downtown had a show room only with warehouse elsewhere, with delivery, I think that's a great model.  They seem to like the GIANT BOX with highway exposure on major suburban arteries, at least in Canton MI, Pittsburgh and Columbus...

Offline ML11

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
An "Urban Ikea" would be ideal, and there is plenty of prime space downtown for it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if traffic is down a bit to their suburban super-stores.  Who wants to spend a day wandering through that maze/hellscape when comparable products can be ordered and shipped online from Wayfair or a million other alternatives?