Author Topic: Kent / Kent State University: Development and News  (Read 10578 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Kent / Kent State University: Development and News
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Kent, KSU consider rec center collaboration
By Diane Smith / Reporter
Posted Dec 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM Updated Dec 16, 2017 at 4:57 PM

As Kent Parks and Recreation weighs its options in the wake of the recent failure of a bond issue, Kent State University is offering the possibility of working collaboratively with the city ó perhaps under the same roof.

City Manager David Ruller said KSU President Beverly Warren recently visited Kent City Council and pointed out that KSU is looking at possibly expanding its recreational offerings in its master plan.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20171216/kent-ksu-consider-rec-center-collaboration

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2018, 12:16:48 AM »
March 07, 2018 12:59 pm
Kent State reveals details of 10-year, $1 billion facilities plan
By RACHEL ABBEY MCCAFFERTY

The idea of reinventing higher education for the next generation is a familiar one, but Kent State University is taking it beyond pedagogy and onto the campus itself.

Kent State's board of trustees on Wednesday, March 7, approved the university's $1 billion facilities master plan, which will dramatically change the university's campus.

President Beverly J. Warren emphasized in a meeting with news media how Kent State's strategic road map, approved in 2015, served as an "anchor" for the university's ambitious facilities master plan. The plan would drastically change the look of campus, adding a central entryway, an "innovation hub" and more green space to encourage walking and to direct traffic off-campus. The estimated total cost of the first phase of the project is about $220.8 million.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180307/news/154146/kent-state-reveals-details-10-year-1-billion-facilities-plan
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline readybreak18

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2018, 12:32:54 AM »
They donít need to spend a billion on that campus.  Itís already very nice and functional.

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »
There's so much more they could be doing like getting their Engineering programs accredited... Think about it, these past years they've tried to recruit me to join their "Unaccredited" engineering programs. As soon as I got the letters and took a visit and heard that, it was an immediate turnoff. However I do think there is a lack of connectivity between campus and dorm, The recently built Tri-Tower Rotunda which houses Leebrick Hall and others is actually quite far from their classes. Something funny I think would be to lease Golf Carts to students just to get to class just based on the walk needed.

Offline Whipjacka

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
tritower dorms were built in the 60s, i think

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
tritower dorms were built in the 60s, i think

I should have changed that to recently renovated.

Offline JohnSummit

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
Preliminary designs were unveiled to the public for the new College of Business Administration:

http://www.kentwired.com/latest_updates/article_5a0df3f6-3f2f-11e8-a9fb-53864314b6d9.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
Spent a lot of time in the old business administration building in the 1980s. I wish this article would say where on East Main Street it would be but I assume it would be on the parking lots near the Small Group.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline JohnSummit

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
This building will be the first phase of the revamped / extended front campus.  Entrances at Terrace and Midway are going to be combined into a single entrance.  Parking lot in front of White hall turns into green space.  This building will be East of White hall facing Main street.  A parking deck is part of the first phase also, across the new single entrance drive from the new Business building.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
Spent a lot of time in the old business administration building in the 1980s. I wish this article would say where on East Main Street it would be but I assume it would be on the parking lots near the Small Group.
It was in the article you posted above.
Here is a link to current day view and the rendering from the same view. Existing Moulton Hall on the right foreground will remain.
https://goo.gl/maps/HtHwDfJAZF82

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
Kent State University giving equal weight to design and money in choice of business college developer (photos, video)
Updated Apr 17, 4:31 PM; Posted Apr 17, 4:20 PM
By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

KENT, Ohio - The competition to design and build a new, $72.9 million College of Business Administration building for Kent State University has come down to four finalist teams that include some of the world's leading architecture firms.

All of the competitors have proposed buildings with distinctive shapes and facades, plus central, sky-lighted atriums, grand staircases, and digital panels displaying stock prices.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/04/kent_state_university_to_give.html#incart_river_index

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
Dedication set for KSUís May 4 site as National Historic Landmark
Posted Apr 30, 2018 at 10:19 AM Updated Apr 30, 2018 at 10:27 AM

Kent State University will formally recognize the May 4 site on campus as a National Historic Landmark during a dedication ceremony Friday.

The site represents the location of the historic events of May 4, 1970, where the Ohio National Guard shot and killed four students and wounded nine others.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180430/dedication-set-for-ksus-may-4-site-as-national-historic-landmark

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
Haven't see this posted before. Under construction now.

Living/Learning Community hosts groundbreaking
Posted Dec 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM Updated Dec 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM

The Presbyterian Church of Kent recently was the site of a groundbreaking ceremony. Kent city officials, Kent State University representatives, and members and friends of the congregation gathered at 1456 E. Summit St., to celebrate commencement of a planned Student Housing community on the church grounds, which have been surrounded by KSU and Greek Village in recent years.

The planned structure is a five-story complex with 384 beds arranged in suites for 384 residents with lower level parking, and an outdoor study courtyard. Other amenities include a business center, exercise facilities, club room, and outdoor pool. A separate space for church ministry is located within the building as well. The building will be sited on the west side of church property.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20171212/livinglearning-community-hosts-groundbreaking

Yikes...
http://www.theprestonpartnership.com/project/the-residences-1456-e-summit-st/

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
Wow, I was going to skip over reading about that project. But I thought as a former KSU student I should at least check it out. Glad I did.

Five stories with 384 beds and amenities is a big development!

Offline JohnSummit

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:35 PM »
I drive by this every day and it is really a tight fit on the site.  I've been anxiously awaiting a rendering, and now I must say it's very disappointing.  More bland and cheap-looking than I would've imagined.  Not that student housing is a very high bar, but other recent complexes in Kent are much better than this.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
I drive by this every day and it is really a tight fit on the site.  I've been anxiously awaiting a rendering, and now I must say it's very disappointing.  More bland and cheap-looking than I would've imagined.  Not that student housing is a very high bar, but other recent complexes in Kent are much better than this.
Yes, easily the worst project in a decade in Kent. And that includes the Alumni Center.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
I don't think it's that bad for the low-density environment where it's being built.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
Kent State University trustees approve $44.9 million Design Innovation Hub, dining facility
Updated Jun 6, 8:10 PM; Posted Jun 6, 5:19 PM

By Emily Bamforth, cleveland.com

ebamforth@Cleveland.com

KENT, Ohio -- Kent State University trustees on Wednesday approved a $44.9 million project to overhaul the former School of Art building into a "Design Innovation Hub" and dining hall.

The 24-hour building will include 3D printers, workspaces where students can collaborate on projects, as well a dining hall to seat 350 people.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/06/kent_state_trustees_approve_ne.html

Offline JohnSummit

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Six-story building gets OK in Kent

By Diane Smith Reporter
Posted Sep 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM

A six-story apartment building in downtown Kent, which was called "ghastly" last month by members of the city's architectural review board, got the panel's approval Tuesday.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180904/six-story-building-gets-ok-in-kent?template=ampart

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
Six-story building gets OK in Kent

By Diane Smith Reporter
Posted Sep 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM

A six-story apartment building in downtown Kent, which was called "ghastly" last month by members of the city's architectural review board, got the panel's approval Tuesday.

http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180904/six-story-building-gets-ok-in-kent?template=ampart

And if there were commuter trains to Akron (or Cleveland) on the Akron Metro RTA tracks across the street, one might actually consider this Transit Oriented Development!

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
The old BW's location. Spent some time in there.
Didn't the same architect try to use dark brick on the new project in Ohio City which ended up being changed?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »

BW3 was before my time in Kent. Besides there wasn't much south of Erie Street in the 1980s anyway, except an old commercial district.

Didn't the same architect try to use dark brick on the new project in Ohio City which ended up being changed?

Yes.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »

BW3 was before my time in Kent. Besides there wasn't much south of Erie Street in the 1980s anyway, except an old commercial district.

Useless fact, the guys who started BW3's met at Kent State. But it was not where the first location was opened. That was OSU.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
Ah, I couldn't tell without a strategically placed colon or dash. And I say that because my father was a strict English teacher before he became a real estate broker. :)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
Akron's Signet Real Estate Group to lead $3.2 million design phase for Kent State's College of Business Administration
Updated Sep 14; Posted Sep 14
By Jennifer Conn, Akron reporter, cleveland.com

AKRON, Ohio - Akron-based Signet Real Estate Group has been hired to lead the design phase for Kent State University's College of Business Administration, which is the centerpiece of the school's $1.2 billion Gateway Plan.

The $3.2 million design phase of the business building, planned to anchor Kent's front campus, will include the main gateway to Kent State, green space and a new parking deck. The work will begin immediately and be completed by next summer, the university reported in a news release.

https://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2018/09/akrons_signet_real_estate_grou.html#incart_river_index

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #265 on: Yesterday at 08:53:20 AM »
September 23, 2018 04:00 AM
Old mill's towering silos present development challenge in Kent
JUDY STRINGER

When Mike Mistur and Ryan Brannon opened their artisan coffee shop on North Water Street in 2011, the Bent Tree Coffee Roasters partners took Sundays off, because business "was so slow in Kent" on weekends, according to Mistur.

Flash forward seven years ó and $150 million in downtown redevelopment ó and Kent is a very different place.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/old-mills-towering-silos-present-development-challenge-kent