PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Stark's nuCLEus  (Read 13515 times)

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Cleveland: Downtown: Stark's nuCLEus
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stark Enterprises joint venture plans new retail, apartments, more on Gateway District parking lot

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Nearly six years after developer Bob Stark dropped plans for a large project in the Warehouse District, he's chasing another opportunity to replace downtown Cleveland parking lots with stores, apartments and offices.

Stark Enterprises and J-Dek Investments Ltd. of Solon have formed a joint venture to buy three parking lots, a garage and a small building from affiliates of the L&R Group of Companies in California. The sale would put key downtown development sites in the hands of local owners and set the table for new construction on a block between East Fourth Street and Progressive Field.

A real estate broker representing L&R confirmed that a deal is in the works.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/08/stark_enterprises_joint_ventur.html#incart_river
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:19:54 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Stark's nuCLEus development
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
Awesome. I can't believe the pace of all these development announcements lately...

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
From the article, to note:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But he waxed poetic about constructing something with "the kind of architecture that lets the world know that Cleveland is back, and that Cleveland is in competition with Chicago and New York."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stark Enterprises has no immediate plans for L&R's parking lot on West Ninth. But the company does plan to preserve and redevelop the Herold Building, the historic and condemned building at 310 Prospect Ave. L&R has been sparring with the city over the future of the structure, which is tied up in a legal fight over demolition versus restoration.

It's unclear how the sale to Stark and J-Dek will impact that litigation, which includes a Cleveland Housing Court case and an appeal in Cuyahoga County court. An attorney representing L&R declined to comment. Stark said he intends to save the Herold Building and to pursue new construction on the small parking lot next door.

Those Prospect Avenue projects would be a separate development from the new construction on the 3-acre Huron Road block.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
Finally L and R comes to its senses.  Very exciting news.

Online Klingaling87

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58:26 AM »
This is crazy! Every day there's something new. Props to stark

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
Incredible news!  I wish some of tho development could incorporate a revised version of The Central Market for the growing downtown residents

Offline tradition7

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
It's about time.  This could be awesome.  I am disappointed that he brought up "national restaurant chains" in the article but I'm excited to see this develop.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stark Enterprises joint venture plans new retail, apartments, more on Gateway District parking lot

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Nearly six years after developer Bob Stark dropped plans for a large project in the Warehouse District, he's chasing another opportunity to replace downtown Cleveland parking lots with stores, apartments and offices.

Stark Enterprises and J-Dek Investments Ltd. of Solon have formed a joint venture to buy three parking lots, a garage and a small building from affiliates of the L&R Group of Companies in California. The sale would put key downtown development sites in the hands of local owners and set the table for new construction on a block between East Fourth Street and Progressive Field.

A real estate broker representing L&R confirmed that a deal is in the works.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/08/stark_enterprises_joint_ventur.html#incart_river

OK, I need a cigarette after reading that......
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
I'm as skeptical as anybody but props to Michelle for noting the differences between this and Stark's proposal for the Warehouse District; makes me feel a little better for this go-around.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
I remember reading KJP's excellent dissertation on the Y-Pescht plan back in 2005 proposed by Stark.  Something about Budapest and a bunch of history stuff  :-o.  On Urban Ohio of course.  At that time, this location was one of the legs of the "Y" if I remember correctly.   

I've decided with this one that I am not going to be skeptical.  Given the current trends in development, and an immenent deal closing on the property, I feel relatively confident.  One reason being that Stark has an excellent relationship with the International Council of Shopping Centers, and the national retailers involved in that society.  He wooed them to Crocker and Eton, and can probably do that here.  We have Cleveland themed restaurants on 4th, so I'm not dissapointed with national chains here.  It broadens downtown Cleveland brand by bringing them in IMHO.  If there is a man that can do that in Cleveland, I believe Stark is the guy.  Oh, and also, I don't think he's in the business of operating parking lots. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:46:48 AM by gotribe »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
In other Gateway news (and cross posted from the Indians thread since that is really about the team  and their performance and this IS a district development)

Cleveland Indians detail multimillion-dollar renovation plans, seat cuts at Progressive Field

The Cleveland Indians will eliminate roughly 7,000 seats from Progressive Field, as part of a multimillion-dollar renovation designed to boost attendance at games and create more spaces that appeal to young professionals and families.

During a meeting early Thursday morning at the downtown ballpark, Indians President Mark Shapiro said the team is responding to fan feedback and broader changes in professional sports.  Between the end of this season and opening day in 2015, the Indians hope to reconfigure stretches of the venue from center field to right field.

They'll cap off a section of the upper deck, which sits empty on all but the busiest days, with a platform that will conceal unused seats and create new game-viewing areas. They'll add a two-story, indoor-outdoor bar and five food areas dedicated to Cleveland neighborhoods, as part of a concessions overhaul. And they'll expand the Kids Clubhouse and other areas for families, while eliminating 16 or so suites as part of an ongoing effort to cut back on poorly used, higher-price seating.

"We're really adapting the building to the current sports landscape and the size of the market," Shapiro said.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/08/cleveland_indians_detail_multi.html#incart_m-rpt-1
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:52:20 AM by musky »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
What a win-win. Developing that huge parking lot and also saving the Herold building.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »
In other Gateway news (and cross posted from the Indians thread since that is really about the team  and their performance and this IS a district development)

Cleveland Indians detail multimillion-dollar renovation plans, seat cuts at Progressive Field

Started a Progressive Field renovation thread last night, since we also have for the renovations at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
I'm as skeptical as anybody but props to Michelle for noting the differences between this and Stark's proposal for the Warehouse District; makes me feel a little better for this go-around.

The biggest difference being they will own this land.  They will want to maximize that investment

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
Niiiice. Office space seems like it would be no brainer for the upper stories along with the retail.

Online Whipjacka

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Tucked away parking, and good architecture.  He's saying the right stuff.  gotta make sure they do the E4th side right.  It is the corridor to the stadiums and the street can be really special if they extend the feel of 4th.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
So, I wonder how this will tie in with the Ferrari dealership :wink:.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
^If you recall, one of Stark's contemplations for Pescht(?) was a pedestrian only Rockwell Ave with a similar feel to E4th.  I can't imagine he is going to pass up the opportunity to extend the E4th feel directly across Prospect.

Online Barneyboy

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
^If you recall, one of Stark's contemplations for Pescht(?) was a pedestrian only Rockwell Ave with a similar feel to E4th.  I can't imagine he is going to pass up the opportunity to extend the E4th feel directly across Prospect.
Not Rockwell, but Frankfort.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:15:51 PM by Barneyboy »

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
 Excellent news.  Another surface parking lot bites the dust!   :clap: :clap:

Offline FancyMustard

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »
The thought of downtown infill gets me all warm and fuzzy feeling inside  :-D

Offline MidwestChamp

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm loving these unexpected development announcements that seem to happen every other week!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »
A massing of the proposed development. Looks big enough to warrant its own thread.....

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe  9m
So proposed @EnterpriseStark project in #CLE's Gateway District has a name: "nuCLEus." And here's a massing study. pic.twitter.com/kOAaq2YANA

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
Man Stark loves doing the massing thing. I hope the height is true.

Offline jjames0408

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
Very nice, so if we went by that massing, it looks like 380' for the taller and 200-250' for the shorter. That would be skyline impact!

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
When first reading about the project (and I know it is not even conceptual at this point) I did not imagine buildings that tall. 

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
^I like the project and the new thread... just don't think Stark's name merits heading it.  He's no bigger than any of the other truly worthy developers (MRN, K&D, Fishman & Wolstein, etc.), he's just had a bigger microphone but with no results.  And now, following in their footsteps, it finally looks like he may get a major downtown development project done  ... yeah, I know it's a minor thing, but still ...

Offline FancyMustard

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
How is there a picture of the skyline renderings?  Are there already renderings of the buildings themselves?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
How is there a picture of the skyline renderings?  Are there already renderings of the buildings themselves?

The graphic above is a massing, not a rendering. He'll use that to attract tenants (probably some anchor retailers), then draw up some conceptual renderings to secure the financing. And if he gets the financing, then we'll see some meaningful renderings. A lot of this is dependent on how fast The 9 fills up and at what rents. If Stark's project comes together quickly, then that will be a strong affirmation that downtown has turned another corner.