PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Millennia's Garfield Bldg & HQ Developments  (Read 3182 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: Millennia's Garfield Bldg & HQ Developments
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
If there's no capitalization in the headline, it must be FreshwaterCleveland....

red-hot rental market ignites conversion of garfield building into downtown apartments
ERIN O'BRIEN | TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2015

A deal more than a year in the making has finally come to a close, and as a result, another of Downtown's grand spaces is about to undergo a stunning transformation. The historic Garfield Building, 1965 East 6th Street, is slated to become apartments.

The West Coast-based Westcore Properties, which purchased the building for $8 million in 2008, has sold the 11-story, 160,000-square-foot structure to the Millennia Companies for $6 million. Westcore, however, did not lose money.

"On the surface, you could say we paid $8 million and sold it for $6 million, so we lost $2 million," summarizes Don Ankeny, president and CEO of Westcore Properties. "But along the way, we probably got 15 percent unlevered return on our capital. We enjoyed six years of very attractive cash flow."

MORE:
http://freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/garfieldbldg021015.aspx
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
Hey, The interior shot shown in the article is the interior of the National City Bank lobby next door.  Isn't it?
The Garfield Building used to be a Burrows Stationery & office supply store, and looks nothing like that image.  Does the article need a correction, or am I the one who is wrong here?

"Old National City Bank Building - 1915
It looks built to withstand anything, even a financial earthquake. Cleveland master architects Walker and Weeks designed the old National City Bank Building lobby in majestic neoclassical style, with rows of Corinthian columns framing the deposit windows and a towering staircase of pink Georgia marble. Downstairs, bronze gates finished in gold emphasize the safety in the safe deposit vault beyond them. Looks can deceive; National City acquired the building in 1933 from Guardian Savings & Trust, a casualty of Great Depression bank runs. Now it's a PNC Bank branch. 623 Euclid Ave." - Cleveland Magazine (December 2011)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:41:27 PM by ExPatClevGuy »

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50:21 PM »
^I was kinda thinking the same thing...but then if I recall correctly if you went in the main door of the NCB Building you then had to take a left to get to the banking room so it might have actually been in the Garfield Building.  But then again I really think it was in the NCB Building, although I am not positive.  It has been a while but strange I don't know for sure as I have been in that banking room at least a hundred times if not more.

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »
I forget if it was confirmed or not, but are pent house suites being built on top of the building?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »
^I was kinda thinking the same thing...but then if I recall correctly if you went in the main door of the NCB Building you then had to take a left to get to the banking room so it might have actually been in the Garfield Building.  But then again I really think it was in the NCB Building, although I am not positive.  It has been a while but strange I don't know for sure as I have been in that banking room at least a hundred times if not more.

There is a 'pass through' from East Sixth where you can enter the Garfield Building on East Sixth to access the main banking hall which is in the former National City section (Guardian/New England). *Credit to @ink for the clarification.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
Yikes, what's going on down there?

Building partially collapses in downtown Cleveland, police say
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/04/building_partially_collapses_i.html#incart_river

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Very lucky this didn't happen at lunch time or rush hour... I walk under that all the time

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
Yikes. Will this affect the project?

Offline CLEbertarian

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
Clevecane just took both of these. One from the Terminal Tower, and the other while walking home. I highlighted where it appears the bricks are falling from. And to the question about wind: yes, he says it is extremely gusty down there right now.

I think the last we heard construction was supposed to start in June. What horrible timing. I'm glad no one was hurt, and I hope this doesn't hurt the project at all.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:40:40 PM by CLEbertarian »

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
Wow, that car is destroyed!  Very fortunate no one was walking past during that time!  Was it very windy down there today?

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
From Fox 8:

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »
Wow, this was actually pretty lucky. No one was hurt, and there's no noticeable serious damage to the building's facade. We'll have to wait to learn if there is any more damage than meets the eye. I heard that the vibrations from the drilling in Public Square may have actually had something do with this, but that's just speculation. It seems a little far from Public Square to be serious affected by the construction there.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
Earliest video perhaps?  The angle makes Cleveland downtown look like NYC.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:12:42 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »

Oh great, I already see news stations from NYC in the comments asking to use the footage.  The next news cycle will be full of jokes about how "Cleveland is falling apart!"  Strap in folks, we're gonna be laughed at for the next 24 hours.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »

I love that the big news orgs are on there, asking to use the video for free.

Hell no! Those news outlets are in constant reliance of people giving away content. Don't do this...don't give away your property.

Always be negotiating.

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »
I heard that the vibrations from the drilling in Public Square may have actually had something do with this, but that's just speculation. It seems a little far from Public Square to be serious affected by the construction there.

If that's the case, imagine what would have happened to the Columbia building if it wasn't torn down...

The angle makes Cleveland downtown look like NYC.

One of the reasons this is my favorite street downtown!

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
What pisses me off even more is that this building is legitimately a couple months away from getting renovated into new apartments.  But that surely won't be mentioned.  Tonight, across America, people will be told that "a building fell apart in Downtown Cleveland!!"...and the obligatory jokes will ensue.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »
This is hardly an only-in-Cleveland thing.  I can think of similar or worse stories from Chicago, Philly, etc.  Didn't a building in Manhattan just explode recently?

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »
Seriously. A parapet wall suffering collapse is actually fairly common. It's essentially superficial. New York can't even begin to joke when in the last couple years they've had several building explode and fully collapse leaving people dead/seriously injured.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:47:43 PM by jmicha »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Seriously. A parapet wall suffering collapse is actually fairly common. It's essentially superficial. New York can't even begin to joke when in the last couple years they've had several building explode and fully collapse leaving people dead/seriously injured.

Collapse of the facade at Shore Restaurant in Lakewood last year.

The owners are trying to reassemble the pieces in order to get a recreation done.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »
Crazy. We are so lucky. That would've killed ppl. U never know

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:25 PM »
lExactly. They are more subject to freeze/thaw cycles because they endure them from both sides of the wall. And then there's the wind which was strong today. It's not a collapse, which suggests a structural failure. This is the failure of a decorative element and likely will only slow the project with inspections, a legal settlement to the owner of the wrecked car, and possible reinforcements to the remaining parapets.

I also suspect other parapets in old buildings will face scrutiny as well. But this is one of the oldest 10+ story buildings downtown.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:47:47 AM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Firenze98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
It's not a collapse,

Exactly.  When I heard that phrase used on the news I thought how ridiculous.  The media sensationalizing their news cast.  The building did not partially collapse as they mentioned. 

Offline Mendo

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
Exactly.  When I heard that phrase used on the news I thought how ridiculous.  The media sensationalizing their news cast.  The building did not partially collapse as they mentioned.
The article title changed within a couple hours once they got more information. It's a shame it has to go from most sensationalized to least as information comes available (instead of the other way around), but it's the way it is. The article title is now:

Bricks fall from top of building in downtown Cleveland; no injuries reported (photos, video)

Offline flee2thecleve14

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
From what I recall from a presentation on restoration work of parapets on the Terminal Tower, it is fairly common for water to sepe into cracks and cause problems due to freeze-thaw cycle. Forest City had deffered maintenance on the tower for years and only took measures to replace it in mid-2000s when falling debris actually posed a danger to buildings and pedestrians below.

There is a building in Playhouse Square with a URS sign on it that has netting installed at the location of the parapets. So perhaps, that would be the short-term solution untill the restoration work could occur? And WTAM sensationalized it too this morning saying that the building collapsed when, as stated above, the parapet is merely a decorative element.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
"Man has always loved his buildings. But what happens when the buildings say NO MORE?"

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
What is the building across from the Garfield and sandwiched between the Leader and 515 garage?

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
What is the building across from the Garfield and sandwiched between the Leader and 515 garage?

The Baker Building.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
Progress.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2015/crr05-11-2015.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
MAY 11, 2015
9:30

Calendar No. 15-69: 1965 East 6th Street Ward 3
Joe Cimperman
13 Notices
Corning Place Ohio LLC. owner, proposes to change use of a twelve story building to 123 apartment
units and retail space in an E6 General Retail Business District and the Central Business District. The
owner appeals for relief from the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 355.04 which states that the maximum gross floor area of a building for residential use
is 20,876 square feet and the proposed square footage is 125,253.
2. Section 357.08 which states that the required rear yard is 74 feet and none are proposed.
(filed April 7, 2015)

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
I still hate the new name.