PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Duck Island: Development and News  (Read 2273 times)

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Duck Island: Development and News
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
Cool! I'd prefer the central parking lot and the apartment building switch places. The apartments should be along West 20th. Would make it more urban/walkable

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
I love it when I scoop the PD. :)
http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2013/11/its-time-to-stop-ducking-duck-island.html

Cool! I'd prefer the central parking lot and the apartment building switch places. The apartments should be along West 20th. Would make it more urban/walkable

x2 (although I understand why he's proposed the townhomes there -- they're on the bluff overlooking the ravine and Columbus Road below and the Red Line on the opposite side of the ravine).

EDIT: wow, that's a lot of demolition. Including every house, some of which appear to be in good condition.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:51:18 AM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Pretty cool.  Should help property values at the existing Grove Court condos, too.  I always thought that building seemed cool but not in a great spot (besides the view).  This will help.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
My read is that this is pretty much a go...if the proposed development on Lorain and W. 25th also goes forward (more iffy) it goes without saying that this would be one of the prime areas in the city given what is already there (especially the easy ride on the Red Line to Public Square, University Circle and the airport...this could become one of RTA's busiest stations).  I am thinking of moving back into the city and if both of these projects happen this would be my number one place to look.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:49:13 AM by Htsguy »

Offline tedders55

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »

I Have a feeling the apartments were placed there to maximize the views over the ravine/river/city.  otherwise there would be a giant parking lot between the building and the edge of the ravine.  It does give it a donut hole feeling though. 

Alternatively the phase two retail/residential/office building could be swaped with the central parking lot.  That would make it feel denser.

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
I love this. It did say too that a garage was under consideration too. Or maybe at a later stage we could see more apartments over a garage where the lot is now planned

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
Bestest quote from the PD:

Brickman also would need a rezoning, since most of the property is designated for industrial uses. That includes a hilltop garden, cultivated by residents at the Grove Court Condominiums, that Brickman intends to maintain as a public green space.

He's exploring ways to tie that garden and the new residences to walking and bicycling paths, including the planned Lake Link trail in the Flats. Switchbacks down the hillside, for example, might provide better public access from Ohio City to the trail, along with rowing facilities at Rivergate Park and a planned skateboard park.

"Whoever buys here better have an RTA pass," Eric Wobser, executive director of Ohio City Inc., said of Brickman's project. "They better have a bike. They better have a kayak. They better have a skateboard."

But, he added, they won't necessarily need a car.

Offline Firenze98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
Looks like a great project!  Isn't this in Ohio City though or is it Tremont once you pass Columbus Rd?

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
^Maybe this belongs in the Duck Island neighborhood thread ;)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
Duck Island is really neither Ohio City or Tremont.  But it is claimed by TWDC.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
^Tremont and OC have these agreements about this type of stuff. When it comes to the CDCs, OCI handles the area of Duck Island that is north of Lorain. So, this development should be in the Ohio City thread. Also, it is almost in the shadow the of west side market.

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
This development had way more to do with ohio city than tremont, so I agree it should be there.

Offline eurokie

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
So someone help me understand this. Everything is being clear-cut?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
I am going to give this it's own thread, as it is a large project.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »
this is great -- and the mere mention of not needing a car is even greater!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
^Maybe this belongs in the Duck Island neighborhood thread ;)

Thanks for making the new thread. I added the earlier stuff I discovered about the Abode project as well as the information Berges' infill housing south of Lorain. So I changed the thread subject to "developmentS" to reflect all the projects that are going on in Duck Island.

Offline ML11

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

I'm very excited about this project. I think it's the beginning of a longer-term vision to regenerate the area that connects Tremont with Ohio City. Down the line, a safe, walk-able stretch between the two neighborhoods would help cement inner Cleveland as a great destination for young professionals.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
^ Welcome! To me Cleveland's biggest obstacle is that every "good" section of the city borders, or is even in some cases surrounded, by a "bad" one. Bridging the gaps (making them safe and walkable as you've said) will be a tremendous catalyst for further growth.

Offline jrosen

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
making sure the train avenue greenway extension happens would help.  as would a plan for wiley and train avenue.  The Fairmont Creamery team is trying to see if the city can re-pave/sidewalk/light up willey so it feels like more of a connector.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
On City Planning Commission's docket for Dec. 6....

DF2013-093 - Ohio City, Abode Mixed-Use Development: Conceptual Approval of Site Plan to allow Demolition of Two Commercial Buildings
Project Addresses: 2104, 2002 Lorain Avenue
Project Representative: Andrew Brickman, Abode Modern Lifestyle Developers

Docket and renders here:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2013/12062013/index.php

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
Demolition has started - the former used car lot at West 20th was gone as of this morning.

Offline YO to the CLE

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Check this small development out. Very nice looking townhomes. More interestingly, look at the address. Between this and the Fairmount Creamery development, it is nicve to start seeing some bleed over development. The push across the highway had to be made at some point.

http://www.progressiveurban.com/p/259/3461655

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
The map they give on that website is wrong.  The 8th image shows that development is going onto the corner of W. 17th and Bradford on Duck Island.

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
Good find! Very nice looking units.Very happy to see a new design voice for these infill projects: http://makeroffice.com
We've come so far since City Architecture...

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »
duck island poised for redevelopment with completion of draft neighborhood plan

Duck Island, a pocket neighborhood between Ohio City and Tremont that has long been inexplicably walled off from the revitalization that surrounds it, might be poised to see a surge of development -- on its own terms -- if a new plan has anything to say about it.

Tremont West Development Corporation, with support from Cleveland Neighborhood Progress, hired the KSU Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative to conduct a community planning charrette last month. A draft plan is now complete. It will be presented at a community meeting in Tremont this month, and once finalized approval will be sought from the Cleveland Planning Commission.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/duckisland011714.aspx

Offline bumsquare

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
^I would argue that Duck Island is not near the intersection of Abbey and Lorain. ;)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »
Making Abode's new project legal....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/02072014/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for February 7, 2014

Ordinance No. 1604-13(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Changing the Use, Area and Height Districts of lands on the north side of Lorain Avenue at the Lorain Carnegie Bridge between Columbus Road and West 17th Street to Local Retail Business or Multi-Family District, a 'K' Area District and a '3' Height District, or a 'C' Area District and a '1' Height District.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:32:43 AM by MayDay »

Offline SixthCity

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »
From Michelle's twitter:

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe  56m
#CLE Planning Commission considering proposed zoning change for Abode's 200-plus unit Ohio City/Tremont project: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/11/developer_andrew_brickman_plan.html

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe  29m
Grove Court Condos owners worried re: possible development of hillside facing #dtCLE. Rxn to proposed rezoning for 200+ unit rental project.

Michelle J. McFee ‏@mjarboe  9m
#CLE Planning Commission gives thumbs-up to rezoning for Above Living's 200+ unit Ohio City/Tremont project, w/ some tweaks around edges.

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 12:52:05 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/02/plans_for_450-plus_west_side_a.html#incart_flyout_business

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland City Planning Commission gave a thumbs-up Friday to conceptual plans for an apartment project near the Westinghouse curve and a rezoning for a roughly 4-acre residential development at the edge of Tremont and Ohio City.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
Making Abode's new project legal....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/02072014/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for February 7, 2014

Ordinance No. 1604-13(Ward 3/Councilmember Cimperman): Changing the Use, Area and Height Districts of lands on the north side of Lorain Avenue at the Lorain Carnegie Bridge between Columbus Road and West 17th Street to Local Retail Business or Multi-Family District, a 'K' Area District and a '3' Height District, or a 'C' Area District and a '1' Height District.

The above is for more than just Abode's development. This is also for another development listed below for five townhouses, which is across Lorain Avenue from Abode's development and perched above Scranton Road! Duck Island is HOT!

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/02212014/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for February 21, 2014

LOT SPLITS/CONSOLIDATIONS
1. Lot Split for PPNs 004-02-091, 004-02-092, and 004-02-093 to support the proposed West 17th Townhouses development, at West 17th and Bradford Avenue
 Project Representative: Wesleigh Harper, MAKER