Author Topic: Cincinnati: CUF: Development and News  (Read 16635 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: CUF: Development and News
« Reply #330 on: July 09, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
They have probably not put the final top layer of asphalt down yet. The city typically grinds down the existing street and puts down one layer of asphalt; comes back over the next few weeks to do curb repair, utility work, etc.; then comes back (sometimes many months later) to put down the final top layer of asphalt.

Offline oakiehigh

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
^A bunch of West End streets were done last year in the manner Jake speaks of.   See Baymiller and Freeman.   The streets were in better shape prior to the shoddy repaving job they did.

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
They repaved Sycamore by Zeigler Park last year and waited for months to do the final finished coating. Meanwhile, everyone had to deal with sewer lids protruding out and no crosswalks. When I worked for Bellevue, we did our resurfacing in the fall and did all of it as quickly as possible.

I also found it hilarious this spring when the city put down zebra stripe crossings at Walnut and 14th only to begin resurfacing the road less than a week later. The temporary lines are the conventional two strips across the street. We'll see if they return after the final coating.

One step forward, two steps back.
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »
Sometimes you have to wait all winter for the final course because the asphalt plants shut down.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
One of the more bizarre home renovations I've seen in CUF:
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1587421/2241-Flora-St-Clifton-OH-45219

Instead of the ol' illegal front bedroom trick...they put an entire FULL BATHROOM IN THE FRONT FAMILY ROOM.  LIKE IN THE ROOM.  If the house did not originally have a half bath on the first floor, I can't explain the motivation for the full bathroom. 

Up on the third floor, one bedroom has a door but the other is just...open.  They could have put that full bathroom up there. 

Then, despite having gravel parking behind the house off of Coon St., they recently bought an adjacent lot facing Fox St. and poured a huge concrete pad...space for 8+ cars, and accessible through a hole in their fence. 

If you were to buy this as a rental, you could probably illegally jam a fifth student in the front L-shaped foyer.     

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
And it just says "Clifton, OH". Clifton Ohio is near Yellow Springs. I've had suburbanite friends participate in events in OTR and tag them as Clifton Ohio. Then social media will generate a little map of the real Clifton Ohio.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #336 on: July 13, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
And it just says "Clifton, OH". Clifton Ohio is near Yellow Springs. I've had suburbanite friends participate in events in OTR and tag them as Clifton Ohio. Then social media will generate a little map of the real Clifton Ohio.

Facebook's location data is awful. For city neighborhoods, it leaves out the actual city name and just says "Clifton, Ohio", "Pendleton, Ohio", etc. Which is problematic because many of those are actual cities in other parts of the state.

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #337 on: July 13, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
I wonder how many people are showing up to at the Clifton Mill in Clifton, OH asking if Nippert Stadium is close by?

Follow up: Of those people, how many are sticking around for the pancakes?
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche