PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: CUF: Development and News  (Read 1183 times)

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: CUF: Development and News
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2017, 07:19:17 AM »
Same. I always enjoyed the area over by Riddle Road but never chose to live there since it was so far from both Ludlow and Calhoun/McMillan. It could use a handful of businesses to break the gap between those two business districts. Plus anything across the street from DAAP is bound to do well and get 24/7 stream of customers.

Offline BigDipper 80

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
^I used to live in that "Hobbit House" on Clifton across from Burnet Woods, and it really was annoying to grab something to eat. Of course a half mile to either area isn't really that far of a walk, but Clifton Avenue isn't the most friendly street and there isn't much interesting to look at along your walk. I always wanted an urban Target to go into that Riddle site, but obviously Calhoun Street stole that idea, too.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2017, 08:04:00 AM »
It sounds like the retail/restaurants won't come until later when there are significantly more uses in the area. 1,000 beds is a ton and adding a hotel, office space, and "other commercial uses" (whatever that means) can probably support a handful of retail spaces in the mix.

One thing to note that's different here than normal is the height. At 8 stories it can't be wood framed. Up until now all these types of developments have been wood framed so at the very least it'll be higher quality structurally. Not holding out hope for it to look any better from a finish standpoint though.

Ohio is switching to the 2017 building code this year, which is based on the 2015 IBC. Don't quote me on this because I haven't poured through it yet and its not a type of project I ever work on, but I believe the new code will allow for multi-story "podiums" of type 1A construction. So it may be possible for this project to use a 3 story concrete base, with 5 stories of wood frame above. Previously that was limited to a one story base with 5 stories of wood frame, which is what you see practically everywhere around CUF (and really, all around the country).  The 5+1 buildings already seem pretty massive in CUF and add a lot of density so this will be a nice addition for the purposes of density.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
I believe the most current IBC allows for a multi-story base with up to 5 levels of wood framed construction above (opposed to a single story podium) but the height limits placed on this type of structure essentially mean that instead of a 1+5 we're starting to see 2+5 buildings.

Regardless, it appears that this building has several 9 story sections which would lead me to believe we're likely going to see either steel or concrete (likely steel) here.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2017, 08:28:30 AM »
Without knowing more, I'd guess that the Deaconess Medical Building (North Across Stratford) will be torn down and that spot redeveloped as a hotel, maybe taking the two sorority houses along Clifton with it. Then the existing Deaconess Hospital building will be redeveloped into a large office building through extensive renovation and possible creative demolition/addition work to fill the space better (though that may be wishful thinking on my end).

The article doesn't mention that parcel, but that would make sense. The article does say that the developer is considering the main medical building (south of Straight) for future phases:
Bennett said Trinitas is still evaluating the second and third phases of development, which would be on the hospital property on the south side of Straight Street. The developer is still evaluating whether or not it would attempt to renovate the existing building or demolish and build new construction on the site.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
First phase of $300M development next to UC moves forward

The first phase of what is planned to be a $300 million development next to the University of Cincinnati moved forward Sept. 13.

As I reported last week, Trinitas Ventures has the former Deaconess Hospital properties under contract for purchase. It plans to redevelop the Straight Street properties, just west of UC, into a more than 1,000-bed off-campus student housing community in the first phase, as well as retail, restaurants, a hotel, office spaces and other commercial uses in additional phases. The first phase of the project would be the construction of a 350-unit multifamily development and renovation of the former Deaconess Hospital parking garage. The total investment for this phase is estimated to be about $108.3 million.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/13/first-phase-of-300m-development-next-to-uc-moves.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
“I think they’ve got a very good product,” said Todd Castellini, the authority’s director of public finance. “It keeps kids out of homes (in the neighborhoods surrounding the university). People will buy a house and put 10 kids in it.”

No it doesn't keep poor kids out of the houses.  The paradox of the new apartments around UC is that the students living in the expensive apartments won't have student loans but the ones living in the cheap houses will. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:25:22 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2017, 10:59:30 AM »
I stumbled on this render just now and dont remember seeing it here before though i know this has been in the works for years. Any chatter on this one lately? http://www.smpconstruction.net/#prettyPhoto[gal1496]/0/

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:13:46 AM by SleepyLeroy »

Offline CincyIntheKnow

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
^ Supposedly still on track, but it is years away.  That rendering was about hype not proximity to construction.

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
What is the reason for it still being years away?

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
How much demand is there for another hotel at that location when they just built the Fairfield Inn & Suites two blocks away?

Offline thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »
I thought that project was going to have a senior housing component if I remember.

Would be great spot for an underground light rail station for a tunnel connecting Downtown and Uptown.

Offline nicker66

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
What is the reason for it still being years away?
How much demand is there for another hotel at that location when they just built the Fairfield Inn & Suites two blocks away?

This project has to be searching for financing right now so I believe the last two posts are related :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:03:14 PM by nicker66 »

Offline CincyIntheKnow

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »

Not only is there still demand for a hotel, but they have actually expanded the hotel portion of the project.  Think of the views that tower will get of the basin...

Offline CincyIntheKnow

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »

Financing, design, construction... it takes time.

Offline oudd

• Administrator
  • Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
There is a "Coming Soon" sign up at the old American Apparel location on McMillan. It's PlanetCaravan - yes, another smoke shop. By my count that makes three smoke/vape shops within those 4 blocks of McMillan.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
Take away vape shops and hookah lounges and there wouldn't be much up there. 

Offline CincyIntheKnow

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »

Financing, design, construction... it takes time.

Unfortunately it seems this project is now dead...

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
A few 4-families were torn down recently in the 2900 block of Stratford close to Probasco.  Something is under construction there but I don't know what. 

Here is the location:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1338696,-84.5214913,104m/data=!3m1!1e3