PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: NYC: Hudson Yards  (Read 4524 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: NYC: Hudson Yards
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2017, 12:50:05 PM »
If Amazon chose to build their new HQ2 at Hudson Yards, how would that fit into the project?

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »
good question.

black rock has 50 hy, pfizer has the spiral and a variety of law firms have locked up 55 hy.

so the hy area is pretty booked up.

a possibility is it could kickstart 2wtc (which fox had backed away from)? it would be nice to have the the final piece in the wtc puzzle completed.

i know that morgan stanley and deutsche bank also have rfps out for new hq buildings, so if amazon picked nyc they would be throwing in with those large firms for new offices.

in the end i doubt amazon will choose nyc though -- and i hope they don't. let somebody else have a shot at it. it's probably a better fit for the midwest or atlanta or something like that. no reason for them to incure the nyc headaches and costs.

amazon has 7w34st now as 470k sqft of back office and 132k sqft at 1350 6th ave, plus they are looking to expand that, so its not like nyc has nothing from them:

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news/office/amazon-manhattan-office-search-69106

edit -- it looks like the nytimes is predicting denver will get the amazon golden goose egg -- i would think it should be further east, and i would hope amazon would throw in with a perhaps less heralded metro, but denver is certainly not exactly a bad or tough guess:

https://therealdeal.com/2017/09/11/why-nyc-probably-wont-win-the-5b-amazon-hq-prize/

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:35:07 AM by mrnyc »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
right on time -- amazon advertizing signs lease for brookfield's 5 manhattan west, where it joins chase bank and whole foods and basically fills up the new tower.

that's over 2k new jobs w/average 3 figure plus salaries.

https://therealdeal.com/2017/09/21/its-official-amazon-is-coming-to-5-manhattan-west/

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »
30 hy aka the north tower, is up over 1000' now ---

and look at this crazy shot from varick street way down in tribeca from ssp -- it looks freakin alien!  :-o

also, the vessel is getting mighty big and prominent now --

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
there was a ground breaking yesterday for this blockbuster office bldg next to the hudson yards. its 3 hudson square. the architect is fxfowle and its pretty boring, but it will have retail on the ground.

the most interesting aspect about it is that they have no anchor tenant and moinian, the developer, is building it on spec.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/3/16604408/3-hudson-boulevard-hudson-yards-new-renderings

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
From October 2017 (when the forum was down):

Bonus:

Online edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
That triangular building is really striking. I like it a lot! And Hudson Yards appears to be basically adding like downtown Philly to Manhattan. Amazing.

Offline AmrapinVA

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
That triangular building is really striking. I like it a lot! And Hudson Yards appears to be basically adding like downtown Philly to Manhattan. Amazing.

I was just in Manhattan for the parade and you can see it clearly from the Weehawken side of the Lincoln Tunnel. I don't like it. It feels fine for Dubai, looks out of place in Manhattan. The triangular building not HY.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:45:01 PM by AmrapinNova »

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »
All of the new development along the western edge of the island is completely changing the impression it makes from New Jersey.  It actually makes Manhattan a bit less impressive because these large buildings take the eye's attention away from everything else.  The Empire State Building and Chrysler Building are being obscured from many angles. 

Also, the appearance of "Dubai"-type buildings is not helping things.  There is a jenga building in Jersey City, the triangle thing, and now a leaning tower at Hudson Yards.  Those ideas are 20+ years old.  I remember seeing a pair of leaning towers in Madrid and they dominate the whole area despite not being very tall. 

Offline AmrapinVA

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
All of the new development along the western edge of the island is completely changing the impression it makes from New Jersey.  It actually makes Manhattan a bit less impressive because these large buildings take the eye's attention away from everything else.  The Empire State Building and Chrysler Building are being obscured from many angles. 

Also, the appearance of "Dubai"-type buildings is not helping things.  There is a jenga building in Jersey City, the triangle thing, and now a leaning tower at Hudson Yards.  Those ideas are 20+ years old.  I remember seeing a pair of leaning towers in Madrid and they dominate the whole area despite not being very tall.

I 100% agree about HY obscuring Empire and Chrysler from the west. Particularly Chrysler. I do like the project but NY's skyline does feel a little less iconic than it did 15 years ago. I don't think the tall thin condos just north of the commercial center of Midtown/Times Square are helping either.

You can throw in the new WTC buildings as well. I know the old one's were just giant boxes but they looked impressive. The new WTC buidlings are tall but their volume seems smaller when you see it from a distance compared to the old WTC.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:18:03 PM by AmrapinNova »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
the triangle building is called via 57 by bjarke ingels --- and yeah its both striking and a goofy out of place dubai type building. however, all in all its definately adding to manhattan, a mish-mash of varied structures from very different eras like no other place.

as for hy and the rest of these waterfront buildings blocking things for nj viewers, in five years they won't matter because a slew of supertalls are underway or planned, so there will be a new higher level of iconic structures behind all of them.

and i wouldn't worry about the classics, the esb will always be the esb.

btw the mini-hudson yards like development you can see going up just north of the triangle building in the photo is called waterline square. its three apt buildings by 3 different architects, so even more mix&match mish-mash.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
I walked around Hudson Yards for the first time a few weeks ago. I hated it. I thought I had been transported to downtown Houston on a Sunday afternoon (not that I've ever been there) or to the waterfront section of Toronto where tons of new development, but essentially soulless, is being built. It was awful. Even when lots of people start working there it's just going to look like a slightly less bland skyscraper version of a suburban office park. Look at these (presumably) tourists in the picture. They're probably saying to themselves "we wasted an hour walking all this way to look at this?!"

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
what's to hate or like?

its a construction site.

the west side development of it is years away.

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
^^I'm surprised that's your reaction. I think it looks gorgeous, a complete rebirth of Western Manhattan with unlimited potential. Old meets new with the trains disappearing under those behemoths.

Look up Lakeshore East in Chicago. Pretty similar to Hudson Yards and an absolute treasure for the city.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »

I 100% agree about HY obscuring Empire and Chrysler from the west. Particularly Chrysler. I do like the project but NY's skyline does feel a little less iconic than it did 15 years ago. I don't think the tall thin condos just north of the commercial center of Midtown/Times Square are helping either.

You can throw in the new WTC buildings as well. I know the old one's were just giant boxes but they looked impressive. The new WTC buidlings are tall but their volume seems smaller when you see it from a distance compared to the old WTC.

Yeah the new Freedom Tower is a yawn.  The old WTC duo was much more impressive and the way they were offset created all sorts of subtle variations. 

For longtime New Yorkers, the WTC towers threw everything off-balance but if you grew up with them they were just part of it.  When they were gone, the Empire State Building was once again the tallest building.  Now there a half-dozen buildings as tall or taller, none of which are iconic. 

Online jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »
That's definitely an objectively false statement. Currently the only buildings as tall or taller than the ESB are 1 WTC (which is indeed a bit of a snooze), 432 Park which is iconic whether you like it or not, and the Bank of America Tower which is pretty distinctive for 21st century corporate architecture.

And coming we have 111W57th which will be stunningly gorgeous, 30HY which you incorrectly claimed leans (it tapers, zero leaning occurs in Hudson Yards), Central Park Tower (renderings aren't quite detailed enough to really know how it'll turn out), One Vanderbilt which will very likely become an icon of East Midtown, 2WTC which has always had the most polarizing designs but is still a mystery as to what will really be built, and 45 Broad Street which will very well likely become a distinctive piece of Lower Manhattan.

Several of these new buildings employ super high end finishes, design aesthetics, structure, etc. and are absolutely going to be icons. In 20 years people will absolutely look at some of them as icons.

The old WTC may have had more of an overbearing presence, but that's because they literally tore down an entire functioning neighborhood to build a really terrible series of buildings and plaza. The WTC employed every bad idea from the new urbanism phase of the 60s. They may have looked interesting on the skyline but were awful buildings and sucked the life out of a corner of Lower Manhattan that used to be diverse neighborhood. The new complex doesn't have the most interesting towers in the world, but the site planning is where it excels and its integration of the transit hub into the area is what is most iconic about it. It's switching from an idea of a powerful skyline to a powerful site plan which is far more important to the operations of a city.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2017, 05:40:59 AM »
while it may not impress from a distance as the twins did, the new wtc, or freedom tower or 1wtc, if you have ever been next to it or inside it, is indeed iconic in its materials. for example, i dont think ive ever seen higher quality glass, its stunning.

there are supertalls at hy on the way that will stand out behind the waterfront bldgs, like 50hy and the spiral. we will see how striking they are, but regardless in the end the hy area is sure to be more of a typical manhattan mix.

and as for more icons dont forget 9 dekalb in brooklyn, as gothic a supertall as there ever could be if the renders hold up. on the jersey side, 99 hudson is an absolute behemoth, i dont think people realize whats coming lol. it will be tallest in jc. as for the jenga building, its called urby and two more are supposedly on the way. i think three of them will be pretty iconic.

and lastly, dont forget all the other 1000’ers planned or on the way. for example, while i dont have high hopes for the russian fifth ave apt bldg, i do for the 1400’+ 80 south st down at the seaport.

the point is that the city is always changing and currently construction permitting is running at an all time high, so its inevitable new icons and new mini-city developments like hy and lic and the like shake out along the way. if you are just plain impatient and want to see something new and unusual, if not iconic right now, check out the domino sugar plant redevelopent.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
30 hy ironworker construction guy instagrams   :o 8)

Online edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
My palms get sweaty just looking at those pictures.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
^ yeah for sure!

behold the freakin vessel these days...

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I love it! Unbelievably daring architecture.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
i forgot to add the vessel is officially topped out now, it should open in 2018.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
a render of 35 hy and the vessel

construction around the vessel

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
stunning aerial drone video of the westside and the hy:

this is a screenshot of the vessel and culture shed

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »
i think some people into planning will enjoy this long video. developer stephen ross talks about hudson yards and takes questions from harvard architecture students. they really brought up basic issues, like why he chose the tower forms over other possibilities. he is very straightforward about it all.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
if you are so inclined, this is a pretty cool existential takedown of hudson yards!

Superhuman City

Hudson Yards, a mega-neighborhood built from scratch, comes into view.

By Justin Davidson

Related hired a bouquet of architects as a hedge against corporate uniformity. Then it imposed corporate uniformity on them all.

more:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/superhuman-city-a-walk-through-hudson-yards.html

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
excavation work has wrapped and foundation work is starting on the norman foster 50 hy.

people sometimes complain about gentrification, but this block buster is literally replacing a drive thru mcdonalds lol:

Spanning an entire city block, 50 Hudson Yards will be the fourth largest commercial office tower and the most expensive one in New York City upon completion. Its total cost is expected to be just shy of $4 billion. Once complete, the 985-foot tall structure will yield 2.9 million square feet within. The building has already secured one anchor tenant, with BlackRock agreeing to lease 850,000 square feet.

more:
https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/05/excavation-wraps-for-foster-partners-50-hudson-yards-as-foundation-work-begins.html

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
also of note in the above link -- i had heard phase two aka the western yards decking may start this year:

50 Hudson Yards is the final tower to rise in Related Companies’ phase one of Hudson Yards. Phase Two, as known as The Western Yards, will be located across the several blocks between 11th and 12th Avenue. The seven-building development will create residential space, one office complex, and a school for K-8th grade education. Of the 6.22 million square feet created, two million square feet will be office, four million will be for residential use, 100,000 square feet will be retail, and 120,000 square feet will be for the school.

trouble ahead for the western yards?

The 50 hy lot has been in the news lately because of a dispute between Related Co. and the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York. The tension has risen following the proposal to use “open shop” crews for phase two, according to The Real Deal.

hy master plan