PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Hipsters  (Read 5657 times)

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Hipsters
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:14 AM »
*I buy eggs from a coworker, who has a coop full of chickens who are fed refuse from a sports bar.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
Hunting game...ironically:

Hipsters Who Hunt

I think the evolution of the new lefty urban hunter goes something like this:

2006: Reads Michael Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma, about the ickyness of the industrial food complex. Starts shopping at a farmer’s market.
2008: Puts in own vegetable garden. Tries to go vegetarian but falls off the wagon.
2009: Decides to only eat “happy meat” that has been treated humanely.
2010: Gets a chicken coop and a flock of chickens.
2011: Dabbles in backyard butchery of chickens. Reads that Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg decided to only eat meat he killed himself for a year.
2012: Gets a hunting permit, thinking “how hard can it be? I already totally dominate Big Buck Hunter at the bar.”

Hunting is undeniably in vogue among the bearded, bicycle-riding, locavore set. The new trend might even be partly behind a recent 9 percent increase from 2006 to 2011 in the number of hunters in the United States after years of decline. Many of these new hunters are taking up the activity for ethical and environmental reasons.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »
Reminder that it's 2012 and at this point "hipster" refers to practically anyone in their 20s who doesn't listen to Phish/Michael Buble/ICP.

https://twitter.com/donglord69/status/178698557002498048

(via CincyCapell)

Offline Quimbob

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:37 AM »
"lots of hipsters are essentially downwardly mobile young people who are putting themselves to some practical use, however small or marginal, instead of sitting around getting obese."

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/jacobs/exemplary-hipsters/

Offline jdm00

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
Do hipsters consider the term to be pejorative?  Frankly I like hipsters. Between them and the gays, a lot of rough neighborhoods are evolving into something more attractive and safe. I'll take skinny jeans over saggy pants and man-scarves over due-rags any day of the week

Offline natininja

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
The hipster movement is dead.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
Once these seemingly difficult-to-pin-down-at-first cultural phenomenons have been given official labels their days are often numbered.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
So I was at the UDF on Hudson at Indianola last night at 3am.  I'm buying a Mountain Dew and I'm standing behind a hipster.  Suddenly he turns and demands to buy the Mountain Dew for me. 

The exchange goes something like this:

Hipster: Oh, and let me buy this guy's drink (to the cashier)

Me: Well then I'm going to pay you (I lay a $1 bill on the counter and push it toward the hipster)

Hipster: No, I insist.  By the way, have you ever seen $1 million dollars?

Me: [brief pause] Not since grade school.

I wasn't in any mood to play games at 3am.  Looking back, I should have said no not since I quit the Klan or no not since I paid your mom. 

Anyway I find it disturbing that these asshole hipsters have now branched their whole thing out into realms stretching far beyond music and fashion.  They've always been a-holes when you meet them on their own turf but now they've branched out into new realms like woodworking and now ironically buying snacks for people at gas stations. 

Offline c3vin

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
^^

da faq?  sounds like a drunk college kid was feeling generous.  why not accept?

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #310 on: February 03, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
I don't think buying someone's drink qualifies that person as a hipster. Frankly I would be more concerned with your unwarranted fury at the situation

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:30 AM »
So I was at the UDF on Hudson at Indianola last night at 3am.  I'm buying a Mountain Dew and I'm standing behind a hipster.  Suddenly he turns and demands to buy the Mountain Dew for me. 

Me: Well then I'm going to pay you (I lay a $1 bill on the counter and push it toward the hipster)

I wasn't in any mood to play games at 3am.  Looking back, I should have said no not since I quit the Klan or no not since I paid your mom. 

Anyway I find it disturbing that these asshole hipsters have now branched their whole thing out into realms stretching far beyond music and fashion.  They've always been a-holes when you meet them on their own turf but now they've branched out into new realms like woodworking and now ironically buying snacks for people at gas stations. 

Paid the guys mom?? Why in the world would you escalate this guys gesture into a fighting situation?

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »
Okay I'm a bit surprised by people's response to my post.  I don't see how people don't recognize the old bullying game where the bully extends some gesture of goodwill to set up the person they're about to humiliate.  On the playground the jock would for example sarcastically pass the football to the dweeb, setting him up for a game of keep-away.  This hipster thing is all the same game, but the hipster always trusts that you're not going to actually clock him...

...or in this case her (skip to 1:20):

Perhaps Henry Rollins took the bait just for the sake of creating a scene for the documentary, but I think he was genuinely offended by the nonsense.  It does get especially irritating when the person is 10 years younger than you, but again, the moment you engage them, they win and you lose. 

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
Do hipsters consider the term to be pejorative?  Frankly I like hipsters. Between them and the gays, a lot of rough neighborhoods are evolving into something more attractive and safe. I'll take skinny jeans over saggy pants and man-scarves over due-rags any day of the week

x1000

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

I can see your point, Jake, but if he had left it at just being a gesture of good will, or the new trend of "paying it forward," I wonder if it would have had the same effect on you. I don't think this trends towards "hipster" as just weird.

I was in a Starbucks drive-through two weeks ago and the individual ahead of me had already paid for my drink. Likewise, I paid for the individual(s) behind me. Looking at some local newspapers, I was in a chain of the "pay it forward" folks that lasted a few hours until close.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:28:59 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
On the playground the jock would for example sarcastically pass the football to the dweeb, setting him up for a game of keep-away.

I think we just unlocked the mystery of your constant bitterness. What, might I ask, do you consider an acceptable lifestyle? It seems like you automatically dismiss anyone who didn't grow up like you. You consistently come off as awfully close minded. 

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
^^I wonder if I could get someone to pay for a cronut. I believe they're $5 each at the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo  :wtf:

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »
^^I wonder if I could get someone to pay for a cronut. I believe they're $5 each at the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo  :wtf:
They aren't even all that.  I dont get all the hype.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
I didn't think they were, although I've never had one. People wait an hour in line for them!

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »
I didn't think they were, although I've never had one. People wait an hour in line for them!
They are idiots.  Social Media can make or break anything for these 20 somethings who, the majority, have no true brand loyalty.

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
Brand loyalty is foolishness.  Is the brand loyal to their customers?

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2013, 04:18:01 AM »
Yes many are.  I'm good to AMEX and AMEX is very good to me.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
They are idiots.  Social Media can make or break anything for these 20 somethings who, the majority, have no true brand loyalty.

Heh heh, not like the 20-somethings from 30 years ago who would nearly murder each other over Chevrolet vs. Ford.

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »

I'm sure AMEX knows exactly what makes them money overall, and won't do a thing beyond that.

Offline natininja

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #325 on: July 20, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
People are fanatically loyal to Apple. That's the only brand I can think of with an iCult-type customer base.

I just like good products at reasonable prices. (On a rare occasion that includes an Apple product.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:13:34 AM by natininja »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #326 on: July 20, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »

I'm sure AMEX knows exactly what makes them money overall, and won't do a thing beyond that.

Have you seen the benefits of those cards?  The more bennies they give the more I'm willing to spend!

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »
exactly.

Offline tedders55

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

Have you seen the benefits of those cards?  The more bennies they give the more I'm willing to spend!

Which AMEX card do you have?  I have been looking into a new CC as I'm pretty sure I can do better than the PNC card I have.  Almost went with the Chase Preferred Sapphire but wasn't completely sold that their point system was worth it.  Their signup bonuses were pretty good though.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »

Which AMEX card do you have?  I have been looking into a new CC as I'm pretty sure I can do better than the PNC card I have.  Almost went with the Chase Preferred Sapphire but wasn't completely sold that their point system was worth it.  Their signup bonuses were pretty good though.

Platinum, I'm still hoping for the elusive black card.