PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Gateway District: Development and News  (Read 1931 times)

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Gateway District Developments
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »
Sorry!  See above.  I fixed it

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
Ohhh, duh. I'm awful at recognizing acronyms. I like that a lot.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »
Someone should photoshop a Sherwin Williams skyscraper somewhere in that  banner and email it back to them. Maybe they'll get the hint.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Someone should photoshop a Sherwin Williams skyscraper somewhere in that  banner and email it back to them. Maybe they'll get the hint.

Just be sure to put it on Public Square!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
I like it.
My only critique: why are the lights of Progressive field were so dominating in the image - why not add the wind spiral thing instead?

Offline Mendo

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
I like it.
My only critique: why are the lights of Progressive field were so dominating in the image - why not add the wind spiral thing instead?
The turbine is supposedly only temporary. Probably a good idea to leave it off the banner if it won't be there in a year or two.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_state_university_win.html

The turbine is expected to generate about 40,000 kilowatt-hours per year, roughly the amount of energy needed to power four homes, Indians officials said. The ballpark uses about 17 million kilowatt-hours a year.

Rashidi plans to test the turbine for a year.

He said he has spoken with a company interested in replicating his turbine on a much smaller scale – a six-foot spiral and 18-inch turbines. It would be mounted on top of telecommunications towers like a weathervane, removing the need for electrical components.

Offline jborger

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »

The lights are fairly iconic and unique when it comes to ballparks.

Offline pgn711

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
From the Agenda... a new Sherwin Williams Banner!  I like the current one too but we need come color.  I like it!
Even has the MedMart in it.... and conveniently no name on the Browns Stadium  :roll:

I believe some friends over at The Adcom Group designed it.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Momentum.

Charter One Small Business Grant Program at 5th Street Arcades 

Small business entrepreneurs have an opportunity to secure grants to help their companies grow or launch in downtown Cleveland through the Downtown Cleveland Alliance 5th Street Arcades Retail Development Grant Competition in the Gateway neighborhood. The competition is a program of the Charter One Growing Communities initiative, a project aimed at boosting economic and neighborhood development.

The competition will award winning small businesses with grants ranging from $1,500 to $20,000 to assist in opening or expanding a business in the historic 5th Street Arcades,  which is located between Euclid and Prospect Avenues in the Gateway neighborhood of downtown Cleveland.  The 5th Street Arcades are now home to 30 retailers after experiencing significant growth with the addition of 10 new businesses in the past 6 months. Available spaces in the 5th Street Arcades range from 200 square feet to more than 1,000 square feet.   

Grant winners may utilize funds for the payment of rent at 5th Street Arcades for up to one year, to purchase equipment necessary for business operation or for interior build out.

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/business/charter-one-small-business-grant-program.aspx

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 01:37:03 AM »
Colossal Cupcakes will either be getting signage or an art piece by Feb 1st. Per Facebook: "A six foot 3D cupcake would look pretty cool on Euclid...don't you agree?" and then in the comments: "By February 1, Cleveland will own the worlds largest cupcake!"

Also...Chocolate 76 will be opening up shop on January 21, where they will be selling the city their handmade chocolate in the 5th Street Arcades.

Colossal Cupcakes' new signage!  WHOA

6-foot tall cupcake sign tops Colossal Cupcakes store in downtown Cleveland

By: Mike Waterhouse, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - After Friday’s massive storefront addition, it’s going to be hard to miss a downtown Cleveland cupcake store.

Colossal Cupcakes, located on Euclid Avenue near East 6th Street, added a 6-foot tall cupcake as a part of the company’s signage.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/6-foot-tall-cupcake-sign-tops-colossal-cupcakes-store-in-downtown-cleveland#ixzz2Jp44cMXw

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »
There's a story not being told about these signs. Most of these small businesses don't have the design expertise or finances to afford these snazzy new signs. So they turn to the city's Storefront Renovation Program which offers financial incentives (rebates or loans) and designers who use their expertise to draw some really great signs like the one above. See also Chocolate Bar across the street and others like Thai Elephant in Kamm's Corners. I think the work these designers are doing is terrific and they deserve some kudos.

For more details, check out:
http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/CityofCleveland/Home/Government/CityAgencies/CommunityDevelopment/StorefrontRenovation
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:38:43 PM by KJP »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
^Absolutely agreed.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
For what it's worth, I saw construction lights at East 9th and Bolivar in the upper floors above Goodfellers (which has been closed for months). Looks like they are renovating the upper floors. You could see brand new metal studs through the windows. I'm not sure if the project recently started, but I don't remember seeing the lights on before.

Offline sky

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »
It's office space.  They have a new office tenant (the name escapes me.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »

Facadectomy alert!
If anyone was ever curiuos as to what was under the hideous 70s-era paneled facade of the "Clevelander" bar at Prospect/Huron, well, that paneling and broken lights have been removed and something neat has been uncovered. I hope it (or part of it) stays, I dig stuff like this. This kind of patina cannot be reproduced

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
Glad you caught that. It will probably be removed, so I'm glad you photographed it and hosted it on the web. Same goes for all those photos of the demolition of the historic building (whose name escapes me) for the new county administration building. Of course, that whole discussion in the Ameritrust tower thread, plus the research and photos about that building were lost in the Great UO Crash of 2013.

Offline jfristik

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/08/city_lawsuit_over_downtown_cle.html#incart_river_default

This is ridiculous.. What a hideous grouping of buildings. The city should let them demolish the buildings and build something new. That stretch is arguably the ugliest downtown. Although, Euclid is putting up a good fight east of E. 9th.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
^More comments on the developments later...but for now...are you crazy or just joking?

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
^^From the article, the only proposal to build something new involves the preservation of those three buildings.  Based on their line of business, what exactly do you think L&R would build if it demolishes the buildings? 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:12:54 AM by StrapHanger »

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »
Fine the shit out of them and deny demolition requests until the end of time. Force them to sell. This buildings are dying to compliment east 4th

Offline archangel

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »
If there was a proposal to build something new, I might support demolition, but there isn't, and an out-of-state parking operator hardly deserves the benefit of the doubt.

But, again, the fundamental problem is that there is no redevelopment proposal other than a parking lot - despite it sitting across from East 4th. I'd like to hear from the parties who are trying to buy it from L&R what they propose doing with it.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
If there was a proposal to build something new, I might support demolition, but there isn't, and an out-of-state parking operator hardly deserves the benefit of the doubt.

But, again, the fundamental problem is that there is no redevelopment proposal other than a parking lot - despite it sitting across from East 4th. I'd like to hear from the parties who are trying to buy it from L&R what they propose doing with it.

Maybe the article was updated since you read it? I just read that Weston has plans to restore the building and fill the parking lot with new construction. But they have no control over the properties.

"This week, a Weston executive said the investment group also has a standing offer to buy the Kendel Building and is trying to buy the Herold Building and a small parking lot to the east from L&R. Sketches prepared by Sandvick Architects show that the developers want to restore the trio of historic buildings, bookend them with new construction and fill the block with restaurants, offices and 44 apartments.

"We're working on it," said Rob Namy, a Weston executive. "We're trying to move forward with it. We've spent money on architectural fees. We are spending money on legal fees. There's a long way to go. I don't even know if it will ever work, which is a shame. Do you think that the city needs another parking lot?"

This is so irritating! Just give it to Weston!!! Lol

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
I think the precident the city set with the Stanley Block will make it easy for the owner to demo the building, once it goes to court.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:46:03 AM by Punch »

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
Shit building owners are a major problem in this city. Nearly everything MRN rents is full (East 4th, WT Grant)
While the May Company Building and these buildings sit empty/nearly empty and looking terrible. I honestly don't believe any of these are due to lack of demand, because if another owner took over and puts in the necessary repairs those spaces would be full.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/08/city_lawsuit_over_downtown_cle.html#incart_river_default

L&R's downtown portfolio has been listed for sale since early 2012. Rico Pietro, a local real estate broker representing the company, said three potential buyers are looking at the Herold Building. But there's a gap between what L&R is asking for and what developers are willing to pay.

"I don't think we're particularly close on price point," he said, "but I think we're negotiating with the right parties to make something happen here."

Here's hoping!

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
Let me read between the lines....L and R bought the property back in 2008 for more than it was worth (over a million) because they clearly wanted to tear it down and expand their parking lot (which the city was fighting as early as 2009).  So they let it continue to deteriorate over the past 5 years (no matter what they say now or will say in court) because in the end it just supports their goal of demolition (which again was the goal in the first place...they are parking people not developers).  This, of course, is plain to a five year old.

Now they are stuck because the city is not only continuing to fight them over the demo for parking (surprise surprise...I am sure they felt they were just going to swoop in and tear it down back in 2008) and now the city has even closed their lot next door because they have failed to maintain the building causing them more of a financial headache (kinda ironic).  The big problem is that they problably, at this point, would like to dump the building since the scheming has failed, but since they paid so much more than market for it (note Weston bought one of the ajoining buildings for $300,000.00) they are going to take a big lose given what fair market price currently is.

If they were smart they would just cut their loses and sell to Weston in a hurry instead of continuing to pay property taxes (are they even current?) and attorney and broker fees to fight the city.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:45:29 AM by Htsguy »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
I hope everyone who pisses all over the City in the demolition threads takes note of and applaud the effort being made here.  How the case plays out will be informative at the very least for future discussions.

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
If they were smart they would partner with the developers to save the building and get a bit of the money back from overpaying. Clearly it has value, even in disrepair.