PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati: Development and News  (Read 4160 times)

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati: Development and News
« Reply #690 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
I'm sorry, but no. You're patently wrong. The fact that UC gets so much praise from designers and planners proves this.

The flow from one space to another on campus is very well thought out. Nothing is "randomly tossed." There is a clear hierarchy of human and vehicular movement that creates a variety of scales of spaces that are each used for a different activity. Structurally it integrates and immerses students in ways that most campuses can't. Things like Nippert Stadium's integration into Main Street is very well thought out and makes it part of campus. How many campuses can say that? Buildings like Steger and CRC funnel pedestrian movement into a major pedestrian thoroughfare with secondary and tertiary spaces feeding into it. There's a distinct separation of the public spaces from dorm spaces which allows for a large student body to live on campus without it feeling crowded or on display. Car flow is secondary to human flow which creates an environment that's hospitable to one of the largest student populations of any school in the country.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's, "a mess."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:35:20 PM by jmicha »

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #691 on: April 10, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
Somebody drank the arch school kool-aid.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #692 on: April 10, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
Right, silly me, what do I know about my profession? Just drank the kool-aid. Didn't use that campus for 7 years straight or anything.

What part of how I described campus is inaccurate?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:30:30 PM by jmicha »

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #693 on: April 10, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
I like ruffling your feathers.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #694 on: April 10, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »
I ain't got no feathers! :)

Offline ucgrady

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #695 on: April 10, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
UC's campus has a lot of variation, I'll give you that, but it is not "random". Having so many different types and styles of buildings is what makes it's campus one of the best in the nation. Would you rather have the homogeneous nature of Miami University (all brick everything) or on the opposite end NKU (all exposed concrete everything)?

Most campuses in the US, especially the midwest feel the same with nothing but red brick Georgian buildings placed around a quad. UC has this in the Schneider Quad, but they also offer much much more as Jmicha pointed out. Variation in a campus, like in a city, is a good thing.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #696 on: April 10, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
UC's campus looks like someone took random stuff off the shelf at a junk shop and then threw it out on their lawn wearing blindfolds.  The place is a mess.  This project upholds the tradition. 

I like a lot of what was done during the renovation and I think much of the praise reflect this, but for many students who spend their lives on campus, they still encounter a lot of ugliness. The Main Street corridor is the one corridor that has a cohesive feel. The Rec Center and Steger building are great. Personally I am not a fan of what was done to TUC but I can see why architects like it. But the corridors I primarily used on campus were not nearly as nice, such as CCM to Edwards Center along Corry Street, and Edwards Center to College of Business, weaving between Dabney Hall and the Armory Fieldhouse.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:02:37 PM by taestell »

Offline atlas

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #697 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »
Yea I think UC's campus is one of the more interesting and exciting out there, and it still hasn't reached its potential. The friction between the buildings is its strong point, and I hope this is built upon as other parts of campus beyond 'Main Street' transforms. The lawn needs to be enclosed more, or spatially humanists, to give more urban good vibes.

Online BigDipper 80

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #698 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
UC's campus looks like someone took random stuff off the shelf at a junk shop and then threw it out on their lawn wearing blindfolds.  The place is a mess.  This project upholds the tradition. 

I like a lot of what was done during the renovation and I think much of the praise reflect this, but for many students who spend their lives on campus, they still encounter a lot of ugliness. The Main Street corridor is the one corridor that has a cohesive feel. The Rec Center and Steger building are great. Personally I am not a fan of what was done to TUC but I can see why architects like it. But the corridors I primarily used on campus were not nearly as nice, such as CCM to Edwards Center along Corry Street, and Edwards Center to College of Business, weaving between Dabney Hall and the Armory Fieldhouse.

Yeah, campus still has a lot of awkward corridors, like the one between the ERC and Rhodes Hall, and the one between Rievschl and Zimmer, and pretty much any approach toward DAAP. Heck, the whole engineering quad could just use some more color- I don't mind the actual massing of most of the buildings, but the materials seem so "blah". I always thought it would be cool if the top couple of floors of Rievschl were removed so that the Zimmer garden could be extended, and then a set of terraces added to better connect DAAP with the rest of campus. Maybe even throw a glass roof over the "Berlin Wall" behind Crosley Tower and turn it into a new lobby or classrooms or something.

UC also has some very good corridors as well. I love the Mews, and especially the outdoor pathways that wrap all around CCM.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #699 on: April 10, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
I actually really like the corridor between ERC and Rhodes. It feels very industrial and really appropriate for engineering. It's also very canyonesque which I like.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2017, 05:56:19 PM »
The campus is going-on 200 years old and there are hardly any big trees.  Fail. 

OU -- the state's most remote major university -- is actually its most urban and walkable.  And tons of big trees.   

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #701 on: April 10, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
...those big trees are by the parts that are most similar to how they were originally. Of course there aren't going to be big trees yet in places like Campus Green, it was a parking lot 30 years ago. Give it time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:40:25 PM by jmicha »

Online BigDipper 80

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #702 on: April 10, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
I actually really like the corridor between ERC and Rhodes. It feels very industrial and really appropriate for engineering. It's also very canyonesque which I like.

That's fair, I definitely do appreciate the narrowness of it, but having spent so much time in Rhodes I may just be very biased against that building!  :laugh:
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #703 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
Haha I can imagine. Rhodes didn't come out of an era of buildings that were pleasant to be in.

Online BigDipper 80

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #704 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
The renovation of the top floor of Rhodes was excellent, I do have to give the college credit for that. Hopefully they just do the rest of the building to match the quality of the upstairs room or even the refreshed lobby...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:32:01 PM by BigDipper 80 »

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #705 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
I like campus for all the reasons you pros can enunciate better than I can. But the new Linder? When I see the renderings, I think it would look at home in 1971 Queensgate.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:50:59 PM by Rabbit Hash »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #706 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
UC breaks ground on $120M business school, unveils new renderings

The University of Cincinnati officially broke ground on its new $120 million Carl H. Lindner College of Business this week.

A ceremonial groundbreaking for the building was held on Monday morning.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/16/uc-breaks-ground-on-120m-business-school-unveils.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »
UC envisions Innovation Hub as 'front door to the community'

UC's 1819 Innovation Hub will serve as a research accelerator as well as a command post for a better way of interacting with the community, said Pat Limbach, vice president for research and interim president and CEO of the University of Cincinnati Research Institute, which will be housed in the hub.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/18/uc-envisions-innovation-hub-as-front-door-to-the.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #708 on: May 22, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
...those big trees are by the parts that are most similar to how they were originally. Of course there aren't going to be big trees yet in places like Campus Green, it was a parking lot 30 years ago. Give it time.
And there are plenty of big trees across the street in Burnett Woods lol. I like UC's campus a lot.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #709 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »
UC Health begins construction of $60M neuroscience institute, provides first look inside

UC Health began construction today on a headquarters for the University of Cincinnati Gardner Neuroscience Institute, a $60.5 million outpatient center in Corryville that will treat people with neurologic and psychiatric diseases.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/23/uc-health-begins-construction-of-60m-neuroscience.html

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #710 on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
^Here's the YouTube video that the UC Foundation posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4tNNXCY93U&feature=youtu.be

I really dislike how the building seems to float above the street. At no point does it properly connect to the sidewalk. It seems like the only pedestrian access is up a small sidewalk next to the driveway entrance from Bellevue Ave. Along MLK, Eden, and Piedmont, the building doesn't even try to meet the street.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #711 on: May 23, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
For as good of a job as UC did with West Campus, they can't figure out how to make East Campus into a pedestrian friendly place.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #712 on: May 23, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
For as good of a job as UC did with West Campus, they can't figure out how to make East Campus into a pedestrian friendly place.
Yeah... and if you're walking to this new building from the west (Vontz Center), there will be no pedestrian entrance on the west side, so you'll have to walk all the way up to Bellevue Ave, then do a u-turn on the driveway and walk back half a block. Not cool!

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #713 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »
Get a first look at UC’s $87M renovation of Fifth Third Arena

Fifth Third Arena doesn’t look much like the home of University of Cincinnati basketball right now. But that’s a good thing.

UC is in the midst of an $87 million renovation project that’s overhauling the 28-year-old arena. And even though it’s mostly an enormous hole inside the arena’s surrounding structure right now, things are progressing on schedule. That’s the word from Bryan Ramsey, project manager for the Skanska USA-Megen Construction team handling the project. Ramsey led a group of media members through the construction site Wednesday.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/07/12/get-a-first-look-at-uc-s-87m-renovation-of-fifth.html

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #714 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
Amazing to see what Sigma Sigma Commons used to look like:

Online Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #715 on: July 13, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »
It is amazing how ugly that campus used to be compared to how nice it is now.

Offline The Cincinnati Kid

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
And of course all people can do is complain about is how they got rid of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:50:06 PM by American Luxury »

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #717 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Those people can go to the branch campuses.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #718 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
College students assume that the university is getting rich off of parking passes and tickets.  Those $30 million parking garages have to pay for themselves somehow. 

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #719 on: July 17, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
Just found this drone footage of the Sears Building demo from a while back. Compare the size of the street between the gas station and the site here, to the drone pic travis took in in the MLK exit form. Way bigger now, and probably the reason that later addition to the building was demolished and not renovated like the rest.