Author Topic: Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events  (Read 17932 times)

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events
« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2018, 02:25:13 AM »
The Pietasters played Cincinnati tonight for the first time in 15+ years.  They were pretty incredible.  The crowd was nuts.  I think it's safe to say that they have a "cult following".  It was the best concert I've been to in several years. 

I hesitated to tell people to go see this band because of the lineup changes since I last saw them more than 10 years ago.  But they were on-spot.  They are one of the few ambassadors of 1950s proto-rock & roll and 1960s soul that are playing in...2018.  Yeah, they're definitely a cartoon, but you get a taste of what it must have been like to see Wilson Picket in his heyday.  Which, in my opinion, was an example of American popular music at its most compelling.  It's like, do I want to see a band that celebrates American music in the way that The Blues Brothers celebrated American music, or do I want to see some slicked-up dork with a laptop who calls himself a DJ? 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:28:50 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #631 on: September 15, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
So I just realized I haven't heard anything about midpoint this year. The website hasn't been updated since last year. Has MEMI killed it off?

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #632 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:53 PM »
MEMI announced it was on hold until they build their new venue at The Banks.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #633 on: September 21, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »
Taft, other local institutions to offer free admission on Museum Day

The Taft Museum of Art and several other cultural institutions around Greater Cincinnati will provide free admission Sept. 22 as part of Museum Day.

Hosted by Smithsonian magazine, Museum Day is an annual one-day event in which participating museums across the country provide free entry to anyone presenting a special ticket that's available on the Smithsonian's website. Participants may download one ticket per email address, which provides free general admission for two people. The tickets are not valid for special exhibitions or IMAX screenings.

Visitors to the Taft, located at 316 Pike St., downtown, can check out the museum’s permanent collection or see the exhibition, “Running with Freedom,” showcasing the work of Duncanson artist-in-residence Vanessa German. German’s mixed-media sculptures and reliefs – constructed from found objects and household items – bridge the past and present while challenging racial stereotypes. The exhibition runs through Oct. 21.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/09/21/taft-other-local-institutions-to-offer-free.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers