Author Topic: Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events  (Read 14494 times)

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
Re: Cincinnati: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
Ouch, that was bad, those damn homophones

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2018, 04:14:32 PM »
Ouch, that was bad, those damn homophones
LOL. No worries. I just thought it was funny. My brain does the same thing where it crosses wires with two words that sound the same but have no relation to each other in meaning.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »
damn homophobes

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »
Not to bum you out more, but there is a great write up at the ringer about Homecoming. Really shines a positive light on Cincy on a very popular website.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2018/5/1/17304758/the-national-homecoming-festival-cincinnati-father-john-misty-feist-the-breeders

The photos in that write up are pretty crappy. Almost all the instagrams I saw from the weekend were better than the photos they used!

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #544 on: May 02, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
Agreed. He goes on about how pretty the park and city skyline and bridge all were, and then shows bad cell phone pictures of people performing on generic temporary stages. Still a good piece, but wish there would have been at least one skyline shot with the crowd/bridge in the foreground.

Offline Cincy13

• Excavation Site
« Reply #545 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »
This was a great event, especially for year one.  It is nice to have this after Promowest has "transformed" Bunbury.  The park and city looked great, and I can say first hand that I met multiple people from NY, Chicago, St. Louis etc. who were quite impressed.  The National were pretty happy to be playing at home so that was fun (they have sounded better but they definitely had energy), and of course the other acts were great.  Father John Misty played a pretty standard set, but as always sounded awesome.

Definitely hope this one comes back.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #546 on: May 03, 2018, 01:10:19 AM »
Energy and The National in the same sentence? Must be a live thing.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
Cincinnati’s Asian Food Fest breaks record

The 2018 edition of Cincinnati’s Asian Food Fest brought a record crowd to Washington Park.

An estimated 40,000 attendees were at the event featuring nearly 30 Asian restaurants, caterers and food trucks along with drinks and entertainment on May 12 and 13. That topped the largest crowd on record in 2017 at 30,000.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/15/cincinnati-s-asian-food-fest-breaks-record.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #548 on: May 18, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
Get a look at magical sculpture adorning lawn of Taft Museum

More than 150 volunteers, 6 tons of willow saplings, three weeks of work and one visionary artist: That's the quick math behind the fantastical, large-scale sculpture titled "Far Flung" that now resides on the lawn of the Taft Museum of Art at 316 Pike St. downtown.

Patrick Dougherty, an environmental artist based in North Carolina, has created more than 250 such sculptures all over the world over the course of 36 years. The U.S. Bank/Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile Foundation – major backers of Cincinnati's Blink festival – had followed his work and invited him to create something bold and unique in downtown Cincinnati.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/18/get-a-look-at-magical-sculpture-adorning-lawn-of.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »
Beer festival makes debut on Oakley Square

A new beer festival featuring more than 100 different brews debuted in Oakley on May 18-20.

The Oakley On Tap Beer Festival opened Friday on Oakley Square and ran through Sunday afternoon, with five separate ticketed sessions.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/21/beer-festival-makes-debut-on-oakley-square-photos.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #550 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
Taste of Cincinnati concert time changes; here’s what else is new for 2018

The Taste of Cincinnati will host its first Music Bash featuring the B-52s, Rick Springfield and Loverboy at a new time, and there are several other first-time features that will be part of the city’s unofficial kickoff to the summer.

The Music Bash at Taste of Cincinnati was originally planned for 5 p.m. Sunday, but the start time has been pushed back to 6 p.m. The event will be held off Sentinel Street. Tickets are still available online.

This year’s Taste held May 26-28 on Fifth Street between Main Street and the Interstate 71 and Columbia Parkway ramps will also feature the new Taste on Tap, an area at Fifth and Sentinel streets that will feature rotating beers and some surprise varieties from Braxton Brewing, Rhinegeist, Taft’s Ale House and more.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/25/taste-of-cincinnati-concert-time-changes-here-s.html

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #551 on: May 28, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
I went down there Monday.  It was pretty sad -- hardly any local non-chain restaurants.  At least half of the place was taken up by cell phone booths, a guy hawking wonder bread, etc. 

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #552 on: May 28, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
I've never understood this event, in particular. I mean, I don't generally understand the appeal of American-style street festivals as it is, but Taste has always seemed like an excuse to over-pay for a tiny plate of food. At least Oktoberfest has some sort of a theme, but even Oktoberfest is the exact same thing as just about every other street festival in the country, just with more lederhosen and oom-pah bands.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #553 on: May 28, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
I've never understood this event, in particular. I mean, I don't generally understand the appeal of American-style street festivals as it is, but Taste has always seemed like an excuse to over-pay for a tiny plate of food. At least Oktoberfest has some sort of a theme, but even Oktoberfest is the exact same thing as just about every other street festival in the country, just with more lederhosen and oom-pah bands.
Check out the photos at the Business Courier. I don't know if its the sad state of 5th street asphalt, the cloudy day, or what, but the overall impression I got was like a second rate county fair. Rick Springfield did not help. If this were transplanted to the riverfront it would at least feel so much better. I might even go.

But then, there's the naked cowboy.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #554 on: May 29, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
Taste of Cincinnati 2018 hits record

The 2018 edition of the Taste of Cincinnati tied the all-time attendance record.

The festival celebrating Cincinnati’s culinary scene hosted 550,000 attendees in downtown Cincinnati May 26-28.

The annual event was presented by Kroger Co. and produced by the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber. Attendance estimates are based on crowd sizes surveyed by the Cincinnati Police Department.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/29/taste-of-cincinnati-2018-hits-record.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #555 on: May 29, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
Cincinnati film festival tickets go on sale this week

Tickets to this summer’s Cindependent Film Festival go on sale June 1.

The festival runs Aug. 23-25 at Woodward Theater, MOTR Pub and the Mini MicroCinema in Over-the-Rhine. Festival-goers will be able to see movies, talk to filmmakers from around the country and attend screenplay live readings as well as after-parties.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/29/cincinnati-film-festival-tickets-go-on-sale-this.html

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #557 on: May 30, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Blink 182 cancels Bunbury headlining show just days beforehand:
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/blink-182-cancels-bunbury-headlining-appearance-days-before-the-festival-reschedules-for-2019

Yeah, Friday is the only night I'm going and I'm pretty disappointed.  Still, it's a music festival and I'll get to hear a bunch of other bands and hang out with my wife, so I hate complaining.  The $80 cost for a night out without a headliner is a bit frustrating though.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #558 on: May 30, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
It does suck but they weren't even the headliner for the night, Chainsmokers are. 

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #559 on: May 30, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Are the Chainsmokers really that popular?  Maybe I'm just an old man, but I'm shocked they would get higher billing than Blink 182.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #560 on: May 30, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
Are the Chainsmokers really that popular?  Maybe I'm just an old man, but I'm shocked they would get higher billing than Blink 182.

I read about 2 years ago that Blink 182 has grossed over $150 million during its career.  For what...3 songs?  When they appeared I thought nothing of them.  It's as if that "don't steal my sunshine" group from 1999~ or that "how bizarre guy" was still around, headlining regional festivals. 

Offline helmespc

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #561 on: May 30, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
I read about 2 years ago that Blink 182 has grossed over $150 million during its career.  For what...3 songs?  When they appeared I thought nothing of them.  It's as if that "don't steal my sunshine" group from 1999~ or that "how bizarre guy" was still around, headlining regional festivals. 

There's a whole generation of kids slightly younger than us (30-36 y/o) who think of them as an important "punk" band. I believe this is a misguided notion, but nevertheless these people exist.

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #562 on: May 30, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
I also think its misguided but there are fans in that age group of which I am a part of.

They were huge when I was in high school.

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #563 on: May 30, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
I really must be old because I have barely even heard of The Chainsmokers.  Can someone recommend a few of their best songs that I should check out?

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #564 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
There's a whole generation of kids slightly younger than us (30-36 y/o) who think of them as an important "punk" band. I believe this is a misguided notion, but nevertheless these people exist.

Yeah that whole wave of juvenile California pop-punk was something that I and everyone I knew completely ignored.  The second Carson Daly showed up (1996? 1997?), everyone over age 18 completely stopped watching MTV.  That guy was insufferable! 

I remember in the early-mid 90s that people would circulate VHS skateboarding, BMX, and rollerblading tapes.  This was of course way before Gopros, so somebody was skating around with one of those VHS camcorders filming their friends crack their nuts on a handrail.  These tapes were 30-45 minutes long and they'd dub all sorts of unknown California punk bands instead of using the live audio.  At the end of the tape they'd have a list of the bands. 

This was the model for those Tony Hawk skateboard video games where they play random unknown punk bands in the background.  It's hilarious now looking at youtube comments and seeing somebody who is 16 say that they "discovered" some band from the 80s or 90s through Tony Hawk's video game.   

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #565 on: May 30, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
^ The Dead Kennedys was the first to benefit from that

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #566 on: May 30, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
^ The Dead Kennedys was the first to benefit from that

I first heard them on WAIF around 1993, so years after each of those bands had broken up.  Them, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc.  Nobody in my neighborhood or school (that I was friends with) knew about any of that stuff.  I had a blank tape in my cassette player that I recorded a bunch of that stuff off of WAIF.  There was a guy in a lower grade than me at high school who was into skateboarding and so brought a bunch of that stuff in, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it.

Around 1994 is when the punk and ska compilations started circulating around my high school thanks to that one skateboarding guy.  The weird thing was that a guy on our wrestling team who wasn't into music at all had an older brother who personally knew Shepard Fairy when he lived in Rhode Island and so got us hooked up with that guy and the Andre the Giant stickers.  All of Andre the Giant stickers that came into Cincinnati initially came through that guy.  I'll never forget sending cash -- yes, like $10 bills -- in the mail to Shepard Fairy and then getting manila envelopes in the mail a week later loaded with those stickers and other random stuff.  I know I bought two shirts off him that I was particularly proud of since you had to know someone to get them.  I remember someone on Short Vine stopping me and wanting to buy one of them off my back. 

When I left for college, it was like BAM there was all this skateboarding/BMX stuff that guys from other states knew about and a lot of music that went with it.  That stuff, especially BMX, was like totally non-existent in Cincinnati, so far as I know. 

Online LAW 21

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #567 on: May 30, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
I really must be old because I have barely even heard of The Chainsmokers.  Can someone recommend a few of their best songs that I should check out?

They are huge among people my age (20-30).  You've probably heard Closer, it was in the top 5 from roughly November 2016 to March 2017.  That's their most popular song, but I also really like Don't Let Me Down and Something Just Like This.  It's basically pop EDM.  The rest of their stuff is hit or miss for me.  Their only album was a relative failure and they've released a number of songs this year, none of which made it in the top 40.  Sick Boy is an ok song, though.  It could be that people are tired of hearing them after how popular they were from 2015-2017.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #568 on: May 30, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »

When I left for college, it was like BAM there was all this skateboarding/BMX stuff that guys from other states knew about and a lot of music that went with it.  That stuff, especially BMX, was like totally non-existent in Cincinnati, so far as I know. 

Yeah, most hobbies are tiny in Cincinnati as compared to other similar cities. Hobby events or races that routinely get 150-200 participants in Columbus and 80 in Toledo will get 40 in Cincinnati.

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #569 on: May 30, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
Sucks about Blink 182! I'm 29, and that band was one of my favorites in junior high and through high school. They definitely benefited from the MTV age, as I can still remember many of their videos, and even calling in to TRL (shamefully) to vote for their songs. Seeing them now would probably be kinda sad, though.