PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 1337 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »
I can see how a Starbucks would want to locate in the area.  I can also see how that could hurt the area's other coffee shops. 

Offline Redbeard1969

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »
If there is some retail development, I would hope that it would be a sort of "third place" like a coffeehouse, bookstore, or other space where people could actually congregate and build up a nice little community feeling.  Of course, it'd be awfully nice if it would be a local entrepreneur rather than a national chain, but I'm sure the developer's pushing for a chain.  Much safer investment.

Now if only some of those vacant storefronts on Madison could fill up ...

Offline JDD941

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006, 12:47:21 PM »
Speaking of store fronts on Madison....I may be the last to know this, but I was told by the bartender last night that the tavern right there on Madison and Warren was closing down in June because they are going to rip the WHOLE building down to build yet ANOTHER Walgreens!  How many freaking drug stores do we need in this area! 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »
Speaking of store fronts on Madison....I may be the last to know this, but I was told by the bartender last night that the tavern right there on Madison and Warren was closing down in June because they are going to rip the WHOLE building down to build yet ANOTHER Walgreens!  How many freaking drug stores do we need in this area! 

Yeah, not the greatest of news.  At least they are going to build it up to the sidewalk like they did with the one on W. 117th.  But that will still leave a lot of asphalt in back.

Offline JDD941

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »
Glad to hear they will at least front the sidewalk...are there any other things going in with it?  And I KNOW this is getting off the subject....but are the proposed stores off of 117th near I-90 (Target?) going to front the sidewalk as well?  and/or be multi level like other ventures I have seen? Top of 6th..Tribe 7 White Sux 1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:50:35 PM by JDD941 »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
That's The Warren Tavern.  One of my favorites.  They had one of Cleveland's best selection of beers, and at good prices.  There was no atmosphere, but hey, if the beer is good then to hell with the rest.  They aren't closing, though.  They are moving to Bufu, Egypt.  Or Brunswick or someplace like that.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
Glad to hear they will at least front the sidewalk...are there any other things going in with it?  And I KNOW this is getting off the subject....but are the proposed stores off of 117th near I-90 (Target?) going to front the sidewalk as well?  and/or be multi level like other ventures I have seen? Top of 6th..Tribe 7 White Sux 1

Target and a relocation of the Giant Eagle at West 116th and Clifton will not front the sidewalk at I-90 and West 117th, much to the dismay of the Councilwoman Dona Brady (and me!). Their location will be less convenient to me. I can no longer walk there as easily, thus I will be taking the circulator to the Giant Eagle at Bunts and Detroit or maybe the Tops just north of that (circulator goes right to Tops' front door).
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
Does anyone know how sales are going for Rockport Square?  I've seen the same signs in the windows for months.  2 units are sold, one of which is occupied, the other still has the "sold" sign up, and one unit is "reserved."  I haven't seen any change since the signs first went up in the fall.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »
Saw this in Crain's Cleveland Business this week (haven't seen dirt fly yet, but I'm optimistic!):

Rosewood Place work blooms in Lakewood

By SHANNON MORTLAND

6:00 am, April 24, 2006

Construction began last Friday on the $3 million Rosewood Place development in Lakewood.

The 29,000-square-foot mixed-use project will consist of retail space and 11, two-story townhomes on land once occupied by a used car lot and two-family home.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »
And this was on WEWS-TV5's website:

Lakewood Breaks Ground On Retail, Residential Development
Development Will Have Stores, Offices, Townhouses

POSTED: 4:39 pm EDT April 21, 2006

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- Groundbreaking took place Friday in Lakewood for a new development that will bring together retail, offices and stylish apartments.

Mayor Tom George presided over the event. He and other city leaders are excited to announce the start of construction on Rosewood Place, located at the intersection of Rosewood and Detroit avenues.

The first floor will be stores and offices. The townhouses above will have a second-story terrace and private parking.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
And finally, from The Lakewood Observer (okay, I'm excited about this project, since I live just a few streets away ... this is SUCH an improvement over the car lot that was there ... add this to the new YMCA building, and our neighborhood's gettin' kinda classy!):

Rosewood Place Groundbreaking
by Stan Austin

Groundbreaking For Rosewood Place
By Stan Austin---Lakewood Observer Reporter

It seems like Lakewood is becoming ground zero for new construction in Northeast Ohio. The rain held up and the sun came out on Friday morning as Mayor Thomas George, Council President Robert Seelie, and developer Thomas Barrett performed the ceremonial groundbreaking for Rosewood Place at the corner of Rosewood and Detroit Avenues.

This project will be a combination of retail and residential units and will turn a vacant used car lot into a sophisticated urban living experience.

Barrett of North Coast Capital Partners described a setting where one could dine nearby, go for a workout at a brand new YMCA, select a book from a newly expanded Lakewood Public Library or just sit on a balcony and enjoy the view. He called it the convenience of an urban setting with the comfort of a suburb.

Mayor George gave some significant statistics. The property is currently valued at $266,700 and will have a projected value of $3,000,025. Seven per cent of the project will be financed with public funds and there will be a 100% tax abatement for two years declining to 50% for years three to five.

George emphasized that the financial risk to the city is minimal. “This represents a change of philosophy from the past” George said. The attitude that “we are so desperate that we have to give anything” has changed where we will now do new projects and minimize the city’s risk.

The D-A-S Construction Company will have the basic building completed in 51/2 months. Visit www.rosewoodplace.com for a view of the building and its units.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2006, 03:00:28 PM »
"It seems like Lakewood is becoming ground zero for new construction in Northeast Ohio."

Umm...OK.  Gotta love the joy of severely limited horizons!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
That's why we "love" the Lakewood Observer at our office! Always such a unique perspective on things....

BTW, the developer of this project called our Lakewood reporter more than a half-dozen times since late last week, asking if she needed anything, wanting to write the lead for her story, sending her numerous pictures, telling her that the article "MUST" go on the front page of the paper, and etc. and so on ad nauseum!

Um, dude, dial it down, OK? It's a nice project, but it's not the crem de la crem of developments. By the end of the week we will have forgotten all about it for yet another "This Week's Development of the Century."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 04:21:09 PM by KJP »

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »
lol. Yeah, this project is nice, but I wouldn't put it in the exciting category.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2006, 07:33:08 PM »
I like it.  I think it is the right kind of project for Lakewood (as opposed to an isolated lifestyle center like the West End was going to be).  I just thought the "ground zero of new construction in NEO" was funny as hell.

Offline Redbeard1969

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »
well, it's at least more exciting than the construction of the new parking lot at Donato's Pizza.

Offline WoollyBear

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2006, 07:28:26 AM »
Hey at least the paper is being positive. :clap:

Offline MorningTheft

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »
well, it's at least more exciting than the construction of the new parking lot at Donato's Pizza.

Is that what is going in where that old Auto body shop was?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »
Its been a Donato's for years.  Lakewood and Cleveland Hts have some of the best gas station architecture in the country. 

Offline MorningTheft

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »
Its been a Donato's for years.  Lakewood and Cleveland Hts have some of the best gas station architecture in the country. 

No, the Donoto's is in that Chalet looking building on the corner of Detroit and W. Clifton.  Right next door to that was an old autobody shop that was recently torn down and now has a construction fence around it.  Are they actually building a structure there or is it just going to be a parking lot?  I'd be surprised if Donoto's wanted to build more parking...their current lot is never full.

Offline lakewoodranger

• Excavation Site
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2006, 10:40:19 PM »
That's exactly what Donato's is doing, and adding a drive thru or something to 'better serve its loyal customers.'

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2006, 10:46:15 PM »
Oh man drive through pizza. Drive through subway and taco bell is messy enough

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2006, 04:59:32 PM »
Rockport Square continues to scare us with their interior design:

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
 :-o
That is jaw-droppingly ugly!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »
Nothing that a few dozen trips to Home Depot couldn't fix!

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »
what the?

overheard at the developr's office:

"let aunt shirley do it, she has an eye for decorating."

Offline jrosen

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2006, 05:27:40 AM »
ha, i actually have been inside this model recently.  I liked the overall feel of the townhome although the decorating was a bit much.   

Offline WoollyBear

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2006, 10:17:52 AM »
That condo looks like it belongs on a golf course in Florida.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »
^I think that they are trying to capture a different market.  If you are a young professional, would you pay $300,000 for a new townhome in Lakewood or Ohio City/Tremont/Larchmere?  My guess is that Rockport is more acutely focusing on the boomers than some of the other projects.

Offline jrosen

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »
That's what I thought when I was inside the model - this is nice if you are a boomer, want some pretense of urban living and don't want to send your kids to a bad public school system