PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Lakewood: Development and News  (Read 1303 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Lakewood: Development and News
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2006, 07:22:37 AM »
I don't think so. Lakewood is very nice, but it just doesn't offer the amenities that downtown does. Rockport Square has been a very slow seller--an indication that Lakewood does not attract those who want an urban lifestyle.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2006, 07:24:44 AM »
Does anyone ever wonder if Lakewood offers better urban living then downtown Cleveland and may win out over the years with it's good school district, intact retail amenities alond with a still arelatively cheap and dense housing stock. 

That remains to be seen and I'm not, however, couldn't the same could be said for Western Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts?  they are as dense as Lakewood, good schools, but have better transportation and retail.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2006, 08:19:17 AM »
I don't think Lakewood necessarily offers "better" urban living, but I'd say it offers a good compromise of density, transit access, etc. along with decent schools.  It's a good option for people who want to be close to the city, but want good public schools, something Cleveland can't offer - yet.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »
Does anyone ever wonder if Lakewood offers better urban living then downtown Cleveland and may win out over the years with it's good school district, intact retail amenities alond with a still arelatively cheap and dense housing stock. 
I could be wrong, but I thought Lakewood had the highest population density of any city in Ohio.  Again, I don't know that for sure.

That remains to be seen and I'm not, however, couldn't the same could be said for Western Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts?  they are as dense as Lakewood, good schools, but have better transportation and retail.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:10 AM »
^Did that wrong, but what I was trying to say was doesn't Lakewood have the highest population density of any city in Ohio.

Offline LovesIt

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39:56 PM »
^Did that wrong, but what I was trying to say was doesn't Lakewood have the highest population density of any city in Ohio.

It doesn't???

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »
Its also the densest city between Chicago and NYC.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
I like living in Lakewood. But it feels a little backward sometimes.

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »
I just bought a house on Clifton in Lakewood instead of a place at the Walker & Weeks Building in downtown. I have a lot of faith in downtown, but I chose Lakewood because of its dense, urban atmosphere. Lakewood is full of joggers, bikers, dog walkers, public transit riders and also has a nice retail mix which downtown Cleveland is still lacking. I can look out my window at almost any hour of the day and see pedestrians doing their thing. I live within walking distance to 2 Drug Marts, a Marc's, 2 Giant Eagle's, a Tops, and 5-10 other 24-hour stores. There's children, there's senior citizens, there's middle class people, there's all kinds of people. And lots of them! It's an urban mix of people and retail that made me move here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:27:16 PM by bizbiz »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »
...a Marc's, 2 Giant Eagle's, a Tops...

Only until December - then it will be one Marc's and one Giant Eagle... for the time being anyway.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »
The Giant Eagle on 117 isn't closing is it? I'll pitch a fit! I can walk to that grocery store and buy ice cream at nearly any time!!!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »
The Giant Eagle on 117 isn't closing is it? I'll pitch a fit! I can walk to that grocery store and buy ice cream at nearly any time!!!

That store isn't in Lakewood. It's in Cleveland. And there's still a strong chance it may end up at I-90 and West 117th. But everything is up in the air since the announcement of Giant Eagle acquiring those 18 Tops stores.

BizBiz, you must live farther west on Clifton, such as in the area of Warren/Bunts? That's not a very mixed-use area, not until you get south of the tracks. Then I would call it the Detroit Road corridor. And, yes, that's a very active area at most hours of the day or night.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2006, 08:33:44 PM »

That store isn't in Lakewood. It's in Cleveland. And there's still a strong chance it may end up at I-90 and West 117th. But everything is up in the air since the announcement of Giant Eagle acquiring those 18 Tops stores.

F-THAT!

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
I think people interested in urban dwellings are young professionals, empty nesters, retirees, or single (for the most part). These groups are willing to trade-off the convenience of retail and better schools (most donít have kids) for downtown living.

Downtown has much more to offer such as historical architecture, great skyline views, professional sports, theaters, up-scale restaurants, nightlife, etc. Lakewood offers some of but not all of these amenities.

As mayday mentioned above, Lakewood is a good option for people that have kids and want good schools. Families are just not willing to trade-off their kids education for the amenities of downtown. This is something Cleveland needs to work on. Cleveland needs to attract families back into the city as well (not just downtown). I donít think the YPís, Singles, etc. will make Cleveland rebound without attracting families to the city as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 03:28:30 PM by Florida Guy »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2006, 04:41:47 PM »
Downtown has much more to offer such as historical architecture, great skyline views, professional sports, theaters, up-scale restaurants, nightlife, etc. Lakewood offers some of but not all of these amenities.

Lakewood's historical architecture (a very brief glimpse):

Lakewood's great skyline views:

Plus, Lakewood's own skyline....

Lakewood's professional sports:

OK, so it's not professional sports. But where downtown can you rent an apartment and enjoy some of the best high school football in the state from your own balcony or your building's roof? You can on Madison Avenue. And downtown Cleveland's sports venues are just a 15-minute trip east on the #55 bus or Red Line train...

Lakewood's theaters:

The Phantasy Theater (a movie theater turned concert club on Detroit Avenue)...

Beck Center for the Arts...

And we still have the Detroit movie theater.

Lakewood's up-scale restaurants:

Pier W (in Winton Place - taller than any residential building downtown!)

Swingos on the Lake (in the Carlyle)
http://www.swingos.com/

Plus a few other restaurants that are borderline fine dining.

Lakewood's nightlife:

The entire Madison Avenue has numerous clubs, many of which are cozy little taverns. But there are larger, more thematic places along the "Madison Walk" -- so named for the birthday ritual of having one free drink at every establishment along Madison. If you can do them all (30+) in a day, congratulations! You've just completed the Madison Walk.

At the northwest corner of the city are a collection of clubs, including the Riverwood Cafe, Around the Corner and others. In the northeast corner along Detroit Avenue are a number of concert clubs. In addition to the Phantasy Theater are the 5 O'clock Club, the Hi-Fi Club, The Chamber....

...and mixed in among these venues is the Virginia Marti College....

Oh, and by the way, Lakewood has a pretty decent school district, too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 05:29:33 PM by KJP »

Offline From Heights to Harlem

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2006, 05:47:37 PM »
Pier W.  I need to check that place out, when I come home again. Lakewood is much like Cleveland Heights, nice burb with a strong sense of community.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »
True, Lakewood is very similar to Cleveland Heights in many ways. But we have a better lakefront!

And at Pier W, the food is better than average, but often not worth the price, IMHO. You're paying for the view. After dinner, wander out on the overlook deck to get a better view. If it's a windy night, hang on to the railing! The gusts there are ferocious!!

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »
KJP: Thank you for posting the pictures from Lakewood, and more specifically the one from Winton Place (Pier W). Lakewood is truly a beautiful city.

After leaving Ohio for college in Florida 17 years ago, this only complicates my decision on where to buy if I relocate to the Buckeye State. Both downtown and Lakewood have a lot to offer which makes my decision all that much harder.

Until then, I will continue to decipher through all that NEO has to offer to make an informative decision.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »
hey nice work on lakewood. ps - don't forget lakewood also has all your music needs covered, including my step-bro's record shop hodad's on madison:

http://lakewoodbuzz.com/Kat/Kat%20Fuzz%20Music%2004%2003-17-06%20Kat%20Stewart%20Lakewood%20Ohio%20Record%20Stores.html

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2006, 08:51:29 PM »
KJP: Thank you for posting the pictures from Lakewood, and more specifically the one from Winton Place (Pier W). Lakewood is truly a beautiful city.

After leaving Ohio for college in Florida 17 years ago, this only complicates my decision on where to buy if I relocate to the Buckeye State. Both downtown and Lakewood have a lot to offer which makes my decision all that much harder.

Until then, I will continue to decipher through all that NEO has to offer to make an informative decision.

Downtown. There is no other choice.

Offline Vulpster03

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »
hey. you don't live downtown.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2006, 09:05:33 AM »
Yeah, at least I'm pimping my own digs.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
hey. you don't live downtown.

I'm much closer to downtown than Lakewood. Hey, I've got a kid and wife who loves to garden. I'm doing the best I can :)

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »
Ohio City and other Cleveland neighborhoods are not 'downtown', they are in the 'city' as opposed to the suburbs.  The general populace refers to Edgewater, Tremont, Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, Westpark, and Little Italy as 'downtown'. Whenever someone asks me where Tremont is, "like is that downtown?" I say "No, it is in the city. This is a pet peeve of mine and I try to break this ingrained habit out of Greater Cleveland speech whenever I encounter it. Bust anyway wimwar; living in the 'city' is just as commendable as living 'downtown'.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »
^I'm the same way; and I also correct anyone who mistakes my 'hood for Lakewood. It's "city OF..." thankyouverymuch!

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »
I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

Btw, my interpretation of wimwar's post is that he is recommending downtown. I can see that he is from Ohio City.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2006, 02:28:16 PM »
I am aware that the neighborhoods mentioned above are not downtown but in the City of Cleveland.

However, I was quite surprised to learn from this forum that Shaker Square is in Cleveland. I always thought it was part of Shaker Heights.

People make that mistake all the time.  It was built as the "gateway" to shaker hts, as shaker hts semi-wraps around Shaker Square-Larchmere.  Some streets around here literally change over from shaker <-> Cleveland in mid block, so your neighbor (or the person directly across the street) could be in Shaker but you'd be in Cleveland. If I walk out of my door and cross the street I'm in Shaker.

A young lady I casually know, had "shaker hts" on her payroll and tax information instead of "Cleveland", for well over a year.  You know she got screwed!

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »
^I'm the same way; and I also correct anyone who mistakes my 'hood for Lakewood. It's "city OF..." thankyouverymuch!

I don't even go so far to say "city OF". There is one true "city" in Northeast Ohio, and that's Cleveland. When you say city, people should understand that to be Cleveland proper.

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2006, 09:53:09 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that they have started clearing ground for the Rockport Square project between Ridgewood and Winchester streets?  According to their site plan, this would be Phase 2.  But they haven't started Phase 1B yet, they are almost done with Phase 1A.  I wonder if they are skipping 1B because they don't have any retail interest?  But it seems a little odd to jump over to that plot rather than build outward from the existing condos and keep the development continguous.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:53:59 AM by OompaLoompa »

Offline FrqntFlyr

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »
I noticed this week as well.  The block that they are starting will be more townhomes, much like the block already nearly complete. 

This is a bit weird because I was told by the sales agent in June/July that the retail/lofts building was "about to break ground"; they were "waiting for a few more pre sales".  They already had about 10 or 12 presales back then, so not sure what the hold-up is.