PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: General Tower City Center Developments  (Read 7670 times)

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
Re: Cleveland: General Tower City Center Developments
« Reply #960 on: November 15, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
I have a really interesting idea for what to do with Tower City center: its originally intended purpose...a train station.

Union Station in DC, a busy train and Metro station, went through a restoration/renewal project some years ago.  The building, with a lot of new retail, looks great and is an excellent train station. The retail component, however, has become mostly a lot of cheap food and souvenirs, not so different from TC now. Cheap food and kitsch is what the tourist-travelers are looking for and the pedestrian-unfriendly Station has not been successful at drawing other traffic.  I'm not sure that is TC's problem, however, and the growing downtown population probably makes TC a different case.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #961 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
Duplicate

Offline mu2010

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #962 on: November 15, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
Busy commuter train stations probably are best off having retail which serves commuter's needs - that is, fast food, essential goods, grocery, drugstore, maybe a Target. Less destination shopping.

That's not to say that Tower City has that kind of transit traffic, I'm just saying in general. They could try to downsize the mall, I guess.

Offline originaljbw

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #963 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
^or at least accept the reality that high end retail will be better suited to storefronts along Euclid... Geigers has the right idea.

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #964 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
I have a really interesting idea for what to do with Tower City center: its originally intended purpose...a train station.

Union Station in DC, a busy train and Metro station, went through a restoration/renewal project some years ago.  The building, with a lot of new retail, looks great and is an excellent train station. The retail component, however, has become mostly a lot of cheap food and souvenirs, not so different from TC now. Cheap food and kitsch is what the tourist-travelers are looking for and the pedestrian-unfriendly Station has not been successful at drawing other traffic.  I'm not sure that is TC's problem, however, and the growing downtown population probably makes TC a different case.

When's the last time you were in Union Station? https://www.unionstationdc.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #965 on: November 16, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »

Online OC17

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #966 on: November 16, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
I was just in Union Station this past weekend; hardly a bastion of cheap retail and food stands.  There is no comparison between Union Station and Tower City.