PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Norwood: Development and News  (Read 2466 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Norwood: Development and News
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
Rookwood Exchange has a unique solution for hotel parking

As a result, Anderson decided to build a taller one-level parking garage under the hotel complete with car lifts for every space.

Since the hotels at Rookwood Exchange don’t typically require a lot of parking on an everyday basis, using the lifts makes more sense.

“When it’s really busy, we’ll lift cars up and have space underneath,” Anderson told me.

Expect these "big city" type of solutions (double-decker parking spaces, ramp meters on highways) to be used as we continue to cram more auto-oriented development in Cincinnati's urban neighborhoods.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
The Courtyard at Rookwood is calling itself the "Courtyard Cincinnati Midtown/Rookwood".

So now we know where Cincinnati's Midtown is located.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #512 on: August 02, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »
The Courtyard at Rookwood is calling itself the "Courtyard Cincinnati Midtown/Rookwood".

So now we know where Cincinnati's Midtown is located.

If the "midtown" moniker were to actually stick, there will be some very confused people trying to find it in relation to downtown and uptown.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #513 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »
I guarantee nobody* will ever call this area "midtown".

*By "nobody" I mean: nobody outside the marketing department of the hotel.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:18:35 AM by jwulsin »

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #514 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
I was trying to research the Rookwood Pavilion/Commons development, trying to figure out when each phase was built. This aerial from 1994 shows Rookwood Pavilion (the one with Joseph Beth and Don Pablos) but industrial buildings still existed where Rookwood Commons would eventually be built. I had no idea that it was that old...it's already been there for at least 23 years. I did find this article from 1998 talking about the R.K. LaBlond Machine Tool Co. that occupied the site until it closed in 1989. It refers to Rookwood Pavilion as a place where "one can sip gourmet coffee, browse through a best-seller, consume a meal, get a haircut or purchase clothes and shoes", however it strangely doesn't mention anything about how several parts of the old LaBlond facility were saved and incorporated into the new development, such as the powerhouse that was turned into a Don Pablos.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #515 on: August 17, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Here's an aerial showing both LeBlond and Hyde Park Lumber.  I assume late 1980s. 

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #516 on: August 17, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
This is interesting. Looking at this picture, I can't find the clock tower. Was it harvested from the building in the foreground and was fabricated from the corners into a clock tower?

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #517 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »
The "tower" is just the right corner of the main building.  So the BW3 and Supercuts and Boston Market and all that are where the parking lot used to be. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »
It's just so frustrating that when big industrial sites like this opened up, literally all we could think of at the time was, "I dunno, put a strip mall there." I know that back in the early 1990s, developers weren't really doing the mixed use, faux urban developments that are so common now. But look at that aerial and imagine what could have been if the existing streets and houses were kept, new streets were added that connected to the grid and featured apartments above retail. Instead, we replaced almost everything that that photo with four separate, poorly designed plazas that don't even connect to eachother, and despite there being a sea of parking, there is never a parking space available.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #519 on: August 18, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
At least they haven't died already.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »
$12M conversion of school, church to condos planned in Norwood

A developer is planning a four-phase, $12 million redevelopment project in the heart of Norwood.

Living Heritage Homes plans to convert two former school buildings and two former church buildings into 112 residential condominiums. The overall project, which is being called the Legacy Lofts on Courtland, is expected to be a $10 million to $12 million project.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/14/12m-conversion-of-school-church-to-condos-planned.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #521 on: September 14, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
^If all 4 phases happen, that will be a significant boost to that neighborhood! I'm nervous though that the financing will struggle to find comparable condos in Norwood at price points high enough to justify the renovation costs.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #522 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
A source tells me that the tiny "skyscraper" in downtown Norwood -- the 6-story thing across from the Walgreen's, sustained significant water damage when its pipes burst while vacant.  Plus the owners foolishly sold off its back parking lot which inhibits their ability to get financing for a redevelopment.  So no telling what its future might be.   

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1605186,-84.4571952,3a,75y,139.21h,109.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQzZcpdbIza3x6JE5YzOSkg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #523 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »
Get a look at Rookwood Exchange’s $15 million hotel

The final piece of the more than $100 million mixed-use Rookwood Exchange development is open for business.

Residence Inn by Marriott, a 118-room hotel in Norwood, opened for business on Sept. 29. Developed by Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc., Brandicorp and Lexington Management Corp., the hotel is expected to build on the success of the existing Courtyard by Marriott hotel at the property by catering to long-term business travelers.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/10/02/get-a-look-at-rookwood-exchange-s-15-million-hotel.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #524 on: October 02, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »
^Are those car lifts just for style points?  Like, some sucker takes a photo of their car up on the lift, posts to Facebook, and everyone asks where he is?  THE RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOT, duh. 

Offline savadams13

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #525 on: October 03, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
^Are those car lifts just for style points?  Like, some sucker takes a photo of their car up on the lift, posts to Facebook, and everyone asks where he is?  THE RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOT, duh.

Car lifts will be valet only, its how they were able to meet parking requirements. It would be great to see more of these in the future instead of massive parking lots.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #526 on: December 11, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »
Get a look at planned office project along Norwood Lateral

A local developer is preparing a nearly 5-acre site along the Norwood Lateral for a class A office project.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/11/exclusive-get-a-look-at-planned-office-project.html