Author Topic: Newport, KY: Newport on the Levee: Development and News  (Read 10578 times)

Offline TheCOV

• Great American Tower 665'
Re: Newport, KY: Newport on the Levee: Development and News
« Reply #540 on: April 06, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
More importantly to me is this sentence, "the SkyWheel’s base is expected to be built on Riverboat Row closer to the Ohio River with a base that will withstand flooding and a 50-foot pier". Does that mean a pier reaching out into/over the river, or a pier reaching back over Riverboat Row connecting to the plaza in front of the Aquarium?

Also if it's that close to the river, can they stick a big paddle wheel in the river to power the Skywheel?

I too was intrigued by the pier. I doubt it's into the river though...barges and all.

Online SleepyLeroy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #541 on: April 06, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
More importantly to me is this sentence, "the SkyWheel’s base is expected to be built on Riverboat Row closer to the Ohio River with a base that will withstand flooding and a 50-foot pier". Does that mean a pier reaching out into/over the river, or a pier reaching back over Riverboat Row connecting to the plaza in front of the Aquarium?

Also if it's that close to the river, can they stick a big paddle wheel in the river to power the Skywheel?

Depends on the river level i guess. When there is a high river stage it will definitely be out over the water, which would be pretty cool actually.

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #542 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
a 50' pier is not very long at all. So even if it extended "into" the river, it wouldn't go very far at all. That's shorter than the ramps to the floating restaurants.

Online SleepyLeroy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #543 on: April 06, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
From channel 9, this view explains the pier better. Over the parking lot most of the time and water if the river gets high enough.

Online ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #544 on: April 07, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »
Wow that's a lot bulkier than I was picturing. It definetly will affect the festivals, such as goetta fest and italian fest, that happen down there as well as affect the master plan for turning that area into a park space.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Yeah I hope there is a little more consideration to the base. It has the same look as the underside of a highway overpass and the only people who like to spend time in those places are usually homeless and not there by choice exactly.

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Wow that's a lot bulkier than I was picturing. It definetly will affect the festivals, such as goetta fest and italian fest, that happen down there as well as affect the master plan for turning that area into a park space.

but think of the views you'll have of the great inland seafood festival

Online ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
This was the Newport Riverfront plan I was referring to, sorry for the crappy quality.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I know they gave up on the previous plan which modified the flood wall, but couldn't they float it over top of the flood wall without having to cantilever it over towards the river so far?

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
Newport on the Levee bowling alley expands

A Greater Cincinnati bowling entertainment center is expanding.

Axis Alley at Newport on the Levee is expanding into the neighboring Redondo Taqueria space, which closed in March.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/07/newport-on-the-levee-bowling-alley-expands.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Jimmy_James

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »

Hopefully the final version will be better than the rendering. The shade might actually help the festivals. It gets really hot and miserable on that blacktop in the direct sunlight on a summer afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:26:27 PM by Jimmy_James »

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Newport on the Levee’s vacant theater could get a new use

The former IMAX theater at Newport on the Levee has been vacant for 14 years, but it could be getting a new use, River City News reports.

Kentucky Symphony Orchestra founder J.R. Cassidy said the theater has the perfect structure and has been preserved well enough that it could become the performing group’s new home.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/01/newport-on-the-levee-s-vacant-theater-could-get-a.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • about.me
« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
Newport prepares for Ferris wheel

When building a giant Ferris wheel, you need many approvals.

So far so good for the 235-foot Ferris wheel planned for Newport on the Levee.

Barring some change of mind by local officials, it looks like the Newport City Commission will give zoning approval for the Ferris wheel. The commission held first reading this week to change the zoning at Newport on the Levee to allow for amusement park attractions.

Cont
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #553 on: June 30, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
googling "list of cities, tallest structure ferris wheel" did not yield the desired results.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:32:09 PM by thomasbw »

Online ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
My quick search shows that the only other city with an 'observation wheel' as the tallest structure is National Harbor, Maryland. Orlando comes surprisingly close, with it's Orlando Eye at 400' and it's tallest building downtown at 441'.

EDIT: On second thought, isn't Southshore condo tower in Newport technically or is that Bellevue? It's 240' tall and the new wheel is only 235'...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:22:15 PM by ucgrady »

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Southshore is Newport. 

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • about.me
« Reply #556 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Big screen amenities getting a comfy upgrade at AMC cinema in Newport
Recliners, new menu part of $8M overhaul

NEWPORT, Ky. -- Plush, power-recliner seats will be part of a major upgrade happening this year at the AMC Newport 20 Theatres cinema. Even before that's done, expect a snack bar-menu overhaul complete with gigantic pretzels.

All 20 theaters at the riverfront entertainment complex are slated for renovation with completion expected late this year, said AMC spokesman Ryan Noonan from the company's home city of Leawood, Kansas. The cinema complex at the Levee has not been updated since it opened in 2001.

"It's going to be the update of a lifetime," Levee director of marketing Vanessa Rovekamp said.

The project is slated to cost about $8 million, according to a Levee release. Along with the upgrade announcement, the Levee said AMC has extended its lease through 2032.

Cont
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Online Gordon Bombay

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #557 on: July 07, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
^That's good to hear, that theatre used to be one of the best in Cincinnati, but in recent years has faced some stiff competition.

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #558 on: December 19, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
Nerf arena coming to Newport on the Levee

An indoor Nerf arena meant for families, team building or just plain fun is coming to Newport on the Levee.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/19/exclusive-nerf-arena-coming-to-newport-on-the.html

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
Newport SkyWheel project goes back to the drawing board

Newport’s SkyWheel might not be opened in 2018 after all, FOX19 reports.

Koch Development, the developer planning a $13 million viewing wheel along the Ohio River near Newport on the Levee, said its design for the wheel has been rejected by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for a third time.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/01/18/newport-skywheel-project-goes-back-to-the-drawing.html

Online ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
So are the Army Corps just going to reject anything on the river side of the flood wall? It was standing on a concrete podium in the newer version, not touching the earth levee at all. Seems really stupid.

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #561 on: May 18, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
North American Properties is buying Newport on the Levee: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/newport/2018/05/18/newport-levee-being-sold-price-group-amc-barnes-noble/623436002/

This is good news, as I think North American Properties will do a better job at densifying residential options around NOTL than current owner Price Group.

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #562 on: July 31, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
I biked by Newport on the Levee last weekend and I was impressed by how busy the outdoor spaces were (had to walk my bike through the crowds)... and then when I went around the corner, both of the large restaurant spaces (in the mall building) facing the river are vacant, and appear to have been for a while, since this streetview shows them vacant since at least May 2017: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.095742,-84.4962634,3a,75y,138.31h,84.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZh3BQ4yp4uz5IbmtWiD99Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's just an interesting reminder of the importance of size and scale. The "courtyard" side has lots of small shops and restaurants, feels very "human scaled" and gives it a vibrancy and energy. I don't know for certain, but presumably the rents are cheaper since the storefronts are smaller and don't have river views. They should split the large restaurant spaces into smaller units. As it is, each of those restaurant spaces is just too massive, so unless they have a HUGE crowd, it will always feel empty.

Online ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #563 on: July 31, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
I have season passes to the Aquarium (daughter loves it), and I have been pleasantly surprised with how crowded and popular the levee is every weekend. The exterior half is constantly crowded, and I feel like that Barnes and Noble is the most popular in America. The indoor mall portion is much less popular, but the movie theater, gameworks and dewey's are all doing fine.

I really want the Imax and the vacant lot in front of it to become something. The valet currently uses it for parking, but my personal wish is that it would become something more useful especially targeted at the family demographic that the levee is so popular with like a putt putt course. The large blank wall on the side of the Imax could use an Artworks mural too. I know it's not for everyone, but the levee should just lean in and go full Navy Pier. I never once went to Navy Pier when I lived in Chicago, but now as a dad looking for things to do with my kid I'm starting to understand its necessity. The levee is already home to the Aquarium, a movie theater, gameworks, bowling alley, and will soon (maybe) be home to a big ferris wheel. Why not a fun Cincinnati/NKY themed putt putt course?

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #564 on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
SkyWheel, Newport on the Levee redevelopment land school board support

The Newport Independent Board of Education voted unanimously to support the planned SkyWheel on the riverfront and the redevelopment of Newport on the Levee.

The board voted in support of the city of Newport using industrial revenue bonds to help finance the construction of the SkyWheel and North American Properties’ planned purchase of Newport on the Levee.

Under a previous agreement, the board of education and the city approved industrial revenue bonds for the development of the Academy on 4th, a $38 million, 200-unit apartment building that is under construction on the site of the former Fourth Street Elementary at the corner of Fourth and Monmouth streets.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/23/skywheel-newport-on-the-levee-redevelopment-land.html