PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Art Expansion / Renovation  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Eparabola

• Rhodes Tower 629'
Re: Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Art Expansion / Renovation
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
$15!?!?!!  That's absurd

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
Hardly - stop being cheap :roll:

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
mr rub is an interesting speaker, and very engaging.  not to mention, these tours have been getting rave reviews around the museum.  and you get to wear a hat!     

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »
gotta raise those funds!  or does the money go to AIA?  Either way...

Offline CornerCurve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
Cleveland Museum of Art OKs second phase of expansion, says it's raised over $200 million for construction

by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Art Critic
Monday June 16, 2008, 8:45 PM
Lisa DeJong/The Plain Dealer

The old Indoor Garden Court in the Cleveland Museum of Art's 1916 building has been renovated to become a light-filled Baroque paintings gallery.

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2008/06/cleveland_museum_of_art_oks_se.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:44:43 PM by CornerCurve »

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
the new galleries look wonderful.  our old friends are back on the walls, and even a few things we haven't seen before are up.  I hope everyone comes for a visit.  june 29th cannot come soon enough!  I am really looking forward to the 1916 building entrance opening seasonally.  the sightlines coming through those doors are amazing.  and  unlike the museum projects I have visited recently in chicago and elsewhere, there will be windows into the construction zone, so visitors can check out the progress.  yay, museum.

the art is back!

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2008, 07:42:07 AM »
I can't wait to get in there.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2008, 07:44:29 AM »
"World-class" gets thrown around way too casually when referring to various projects. But I think this one actually qualifies for that description.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »
I think it's amazing that they're going to end up privately raising more $ than it cost to build Cleveland Browns Stadium.  That's got to be a testament to just how well-known and valued the Art Museum really is.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
^amen to that!

I love the new CMA bus wraps that advertise the return of the museum...

Offline CornerCurve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2008, 06:10:04 AM »
It's pretty impressive article/multimedia presentation which clearly had a lot of work put in. There's a whole Flash presentation with panoramic images, along with several adjoining articles, which is probably better linked to than posted here, but here's the intro...

http://www.cleveland.com/cma/reopen/

A city's centerpiece transformed

Posted by Steven Litt June 22, 2008 06:22AM

Art lovers in Northeast Ohio went into mourning three years ago when the Cleveland Museum of Art closed its permanent-collection galleries to start a massive expansion and renovation.

On Sunday, June 29, the museum will open the doors to newly renovated galleries on the main level of its original neoclassical white marble home, known as the 1916 building...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:41:15 PM by CornerCurve »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
The virtual tour is very encouraging in terms of the quality of the improvements.

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
walked through again today, this time through the new east wing.  it is definitely a wow experience.  I hope everyone gets a chance to come down this week for member previews or next week for the grand grand reopening.  regarding the "world class" talk, it simply is.  hands down, half finished, still the finest museum in the middle of the country. 

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »
......hands down, half finished, still the finest museum in the middle of the country.  

Correction.....

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
^for all the worries about how this expansion would turn out (ie, would it seriously clash w/ the 1916 Building?)  I'd say it turned out quite nicely... The polishing of a true Cleveland Gem.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:26:13 PM by clvlndr »

Offline Eparabola

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
great timing too - with the Euclid Corridor Project practically completed.  Definitely gives people incentive to go back and forth on those vehicles.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
I just want to say that I visited the reopened Cleveland Museum of Art today, and it's breathtaking.

Offline ExSpectator36

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
I was there today as well...it was certainly impressive.  I followed one of those architectural tours they were having, there were a lot of details I would otherwise have missed on this first post-restoration/expansion visit.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:34 PM »
Can't wait to see it.

And welcome, ExSpectator36! Please feel free to add to this forum more often.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline sfbob

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
I know it's probably a pain when people from out of town ask for pictures but I am fascinated with the CMA. I think it's one of the best museums in the world and make sure I visit it whenever I am in Cleveland. Is there anyone who has pictures of the updated construction? I am very excited to see the final results, especially the area which will be glass enclosed common space. Anyway appreciate the effort of people there in Cleveland that give us glimpses of progress

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »
^I haven't look but you may want to try the museum's website.

By the way, the glass enclosed common area you are referring to is in a future phase.  They have not even begun demolition for this phase yet alone construction.  I am not sure but I believe it is suppose to be completed in 2012.  The completed East Wing, at least from the outside, looks great.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
^Are you sure they have not begun demo for the interior courtyard?  I'm not super familiar with the phasing, but you can literally see the north side of the 1916 bldg from wade oval through the gap between the new East Wing and the Breuer addition.  And the south side of the Breuer addition (that will face the new atrium) is all sealed off.

Walking through the glass connector from the East Wing to the 1916 building (not to be confused with the future atrium (yeah, I know "piazza")) is a totally awesome experience, by the way.

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
oh yes, the demo has started.  grind hammer grind, jackhammer, BOOOOOOM!  you can hear it in the library.  they are pulling the pieces inward, so much of it might not be visible.  but there are portals in the east wing that look out on the construction for those interested.  the next few phases will be shielded by the 1916, the north building, and the new east wing, so visibility of construction will be limited I think.  there is a construction cam on the clevelandart.org but it is not currently online.   

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
"I know it's probably a pain when people from out of town ask for pictures"

Not at all, and welcome to the forum :-)

Offline sfbob

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2008, 12:40:15 AM »
Thanks for the info and very happy to be a part of the UO site so thanks for the warm welcome. I will be in Cleveland again in December and will make it down to the CMA for another visit. I live in San Francisco and although we have great museums here nothing beats the CMA. I was able to visit in July and see the first few galleries which were just beautiful and wondered if anything else has opened since? Even if nothing else has opened I can not wait to visit again because it is just so amazing. It really is one of the best museums and I have visited art museums all over the world. You are so lucky there in Cleveland because it's FREE! :wave:

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2009/06/cleveland_museum_of_art_herald.html

Cleveland Museum of Art heralds opening of new East Wing with Summer Solstice Celebration
by Steven Litt / Plain Dealer Art Critic
Friday June 19, 2009

The Cleveland Museum of Art held a traditional fund-raising party last summer when it completed the renovation of the galleries in its neoclassical 1916 building. A thousand wealthy benefactors got the first look-see before the museum threw the doors open to the public a week later.

This year, the museum is holding a completely different kind of opening bash to celebrate the completion of its new East Wing, which opens Saturday, June 27. ...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:04:38 AM by McCleveland »

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2009, 12:42:07 PM »
I went to the Art Museum East Wing grand opening last night and it was fantastic.  I was there from 10pm-1am and the place was PACKED.  They had an awesome stage set up outside with live musical acts and DJs and the crowd was dancing and really into the music.  They also had live performers moving around outside.  It was just a great, lively environment.  The new wing is beautiful as well.

Just really something to be proud of for Cleveland.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »
very cool news.

what was the surprise on the lawn that was mentioned in the article above?

Offline jsz65

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
The surprise was fireworks - which were kinda lame considering how great the rest of the event was.  Best part for me was seeing James Franco in the new Modern galleries - he was as impressed as everyone else.

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
the event was wildly successful.  all ticket levels sold out!  and the crowd was very enthusiastic throughout the night.  and the new galleries are incredible.  it is so nice to have such a large portion of the collection back on view.  I especially enjoyed the way they corralled the event along side east blvd.