PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland Heights: Development and News  (Read 902 times)

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
Re: Cleveland Heights: Random Development News & Discussion
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Awesome news with the diner! Ive been hoping something would happen with those since ive moved here. Im certain ill walk over there to eat sometimes.

And as far as how CH is going...
Ill admit i was a little skeptical when i first was transferred here. Since i live pretty much right on Cain Park, people were always telling me "oh be careful, watch out, theres alot of crime. be careful walking to your car". but theyre been proven wrong. i love it here! Im 22 and single, and for me at this time, i feel like ive found the perfect place for myself. I have a nice apartment in a beautiful historic building, and its in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood (except when the cop cars come flying down Taylor from the police station). Im a few minutes walk from work and shopping at Severance, and same from food and shopping on CL and Coventry. working in the neighborhood ive gotten to meet alot of people, and theres alot of hardworking people here who really care about and take pride in their neighborhood. Everyone can see things are changing, but no one is scared of or running from the changes.Just talking with people in the office on the subject, we see most of it as just a normal demographic change, mostly due to kids growing up and moving off to college and the parents retiring. My manager whos been here quite a while sees it as a natural progression. the older generation moving on, and a younger one coming in and starting off. I can even see myself potentially buying a house here someday in the future

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
OK, folks, let's keep this thread to discussion of projects and construction, not general discussions about CH schools or safety or demographic change or whatever!

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »
Pretty much just a rumor right now, as I havent been able to find anything concrete about it, but talk from the merchants at Severance is that Skechers will be opening a new store where the old Blockbuster used to be in the corner near Daves. Hopefully this is true, cause we all know this shopping center can use some more stores

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:47 AM »
Pretty much just a rumor right now, as I havent been able to find anything concrete about it, but talk from the merchants at Severance is that Skechers will be opening a new store where the old Blockbuster used to be in the corner near Daves. Hopefully this is true, cause we all know this shopping center can use some more stores

Sketchers?  I guess I didn't even realize that they had standalone stores.  Either way, this isn't the type of Severance rumor that makes me any more optimistic about the shopping center's future.

Offline Clevecane

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »
There is actually a Sketchers at Beachwood Place and one at Aurora Outlets.  It would be interesting if they put another one on the East Side.  Ever since they evolved from those idiotic "goo" sneakers they had when I was a kid to a more functional and casual adult brand, they're actually not too shabby of a retail store.  I used to see them at all the upper-class malls in South Florida when I lived there.

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
There's one in the Strongsville Mall too. They're no worse than any other sneaker store.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
Well, got to speak with the property manager at Severance again. She said there are two retailers who are going to replace the Walmart space, but isnt allowed to share any of the details. She did tell me though that they had started looking for replacement tenants as soon as rumors of Walmarts move came about, so hopefully theyre some decent stores thatll be moving in...

I asked about the Skechers rumors too, and she told me she hadnt heard anything about them, but she told me that doesnt mean her leasing agent hasnt been in talks with them. soooo who knows. still a rumor right now 

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »
Well, we have another store poached away by Oakwood Commons. GNC will be opening a new store there, with their Severance store to close by the end of this year

Offline TheBeaver

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
Well, we have another store poached away by Oakwood Commons. GNC will be opening a new store there, with their Severance store to close by the end of this year

I believe that GNC is actually moving to Cedar Center North.  The sign went up on the building a couple of days ago.  I doubt they would have a location at both Cedar Center and Oakwood...

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »

I believe that GNC is actually moving to Cedar Center North.  The sign went up on the building a couple of days ago.  I doubt they would have a location at both Cedar Center and Oakwood...

That very well may be. I havent seen the sign or anything, I was just speaking with one of the employees when he came in the other day. Could have got the names mixed up. either way, another store poached away in this zero-sum game of CLE retail lol

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
heights library to convert old ymca gym into knowledge and innovation center
Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Cleveland Heights-University Heights Library is transforming a 4,000-square-foot former YMCA gym connected to its Lee Road branch into a high-tech community classroom and home for the Cuyahoga County Small Business Development Center.

The renovation, which broke ground in December and will be completed in June, is aimed at better serving the community while also supporting small business entrepreneurship in the Heights communities.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/heightslibrary011713.aspx

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:54 AM »
Very cool.

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
What does that even mean?  Will it be similar to the LaunchHouse in Shaker Heights? 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
From an e-mail press release..........

September 23, 2013

MEDIA ALERT:

Cuyahoga Land Bank, Cleveland Heights, East Cleveland work together
To clear the path for development in North Coventry Neighborhood

WHO:             Cuyahoga Land Bank
                        City of Cleveland Heights
                        City of East Cleveland
                        Elected Officials

WHAT:            A multi-site demolition in the North Coventry Neighborhood, resulting from the desire of two adjacent cities to address blight on their shared border.

WHEN:            9 a.m. Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WHERE:          14048 Superior Avenue in East Cleveland

WHY:              Increased foreclosures and decreased investment in the North Coventry neighborhood, which is split evenly between the cities of Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland, have resulted in increased crime, lower property values and continued disinvestment.  Determined to change the future of the neighborhood, Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland teamed with the Cuyahoga Land Bank to demolish a series of vacant, abandoned apartment buildings in order to remove the blight from the North Coventry community and clear the way for new development. The estimated cost of the first phase of demolition is $1.1 million.   With the help of state funding, the five demolitions undertaken on Wednesday and the estimated 60 more necessary demolitions marks the first step toward recovery for this community.  This is all made possible by Moving Ohio Forward Funds from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office from a National Mortgage Settlement.

###
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
Sad but probably necessary.  I just wonder what the target is for "re-development."  It's not as if that area is in high-demand, particularly the stretch of Superior where the demos will happen if I understand correctly.  The only part of the Superior triange which hold much value IMO are the properties along Mayfield and maybe the southern edge of Coventry before reaching Mayfield.

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »
So the release says that 60 properties will be demolished...can anyone estimate about how many total properties exist in that Triangle?

I've previously said that I'd like to see the entire area flattened and redeveloped.  I don't have any specific ideas, but I have to believe that something decent (mixed-use?) could be put in if that area were given a fresh start.  The proximity to University Circle and Coventry has to be an attractive asset, right?  Or if that's a pipe dream, then the old adage of "addition by subtraction" seems applicable here, because for Cleveland Heights, that is one of its biggest trouble spots.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:17:22 PM by Clevelander17 »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
So are we saying they're going to level some of those beautiful apartment buildings along Superior?  I'm referring to the stretch from Glenmont to Mayfield.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:49:30 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »
So are we saying they're going to level some of those beautiful apartment buildings along Superior?  I'm referring to the stretch from Glenmont to Mayfield.

In the 1950s, my mother raised my two oldest brothers in one of those apartment buildings at Glenmont and Superior in Cleveland Heights. She also lived in one at the south end of Glenmont, in Cleveland Heights. She's not sentimental like me, so I don't know if she'll care if those buildings get leveled or not. But I do know she liked living in those apartments even though her financial situation was difficult at the time.

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »

I hope not, but my guess would be that some of them may be on the list because of decay and vacancy.  I believe Hts121 gave us a bit of history on these apartments a few months back and pointed out that these buildings are actually of lower quality than some of the other older apartment buildings around Cleveland Heights.  They may not be salvageable at this point.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »
60 buildings in that small area.  They're really going for the "burn the village to save it" strategy.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
60 buildings in that small area.  They're really going for the "burn the village to save it" strategy.

Same approach that the Cleveland Clinic took with Cleveland's second downtown -- at Euclid and East 105th in the 1970s and into the early 80s. Note the sign on the marquee......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/105th_and_Euclid_in_1981.jpg

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
That approach has been taken over and over in Cleveland.  Has it worked anywhere?

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
I don't think it can be argued that some of those buildings have to go.  Ideally, the entire triange would be leveled and developers could work with a clean slate.  That land could be a gold mine if that was done given its proximity to the Coventry strip, LI, UC, Cumberland Park, and the Rec Center.  But I fear this is going to end up looking like Hough, with just scattered residences.  I assume there are many homeowners who like their house just fine and won't willingly just let it be demolished.

I guess if I was in charge here, I would require nothing but contiguous demos.  No taking down one house and then another 2 doors down and then another 4 doors down.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
^You'd blow your whole budget on ED litigation.

That approach has been taken over and over in Cleveland.  Has it worked anywhere?

Northern Tremont, southern Ohio City, Central, off the top of my head.  And it's worked no worse than letting rotted apartment building stand till they start crumbling to the ground, which has also been tried all over Cleveland, especially East Cleveland.

I have no idea which buildings in particular are in their sites and what exactly the cities and landbank plan for the land, but carving some parking lots into the long wall of apartment buildings on that part of Superior might even help the occupied buildings last longer.  I know it's come up before, but are the streetview images hopelessly out of date for this neighborhood now?  How many of the bigger buildings are visibly vacant now?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:29:47 AM by StrapHanger »

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »
Look, this area is a mess, one of the most blighted areas of Cleveland Heights.  I don't know what the long-term plan is or should be, but CH (and EC, which has bigger fish to fry) has let it go for far too long.  Here's another radical idea if CH/EC can get rid a significant portion of those buildings: Close off Superior north of Mayfield and extend the park/recreation area west.  There are a lot of advantages to this idea.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
A few bits of news from Severance:

According to one of the managers for Severance, now that Walmart is out of here (woo!!), two of the new stores that will be filling the space are Villa, and Citi Trends. Not to happy about that last one.... I almost feel like it would be better to have empty space here.

Unrelated to the Walmart departure, Big Lots is allegedly coming to fill in the old Borders space. Decent news there at least. 

Sallys has pushed back their moving date to Oakwood Commons until January.

GNC, who originally was going to move when they opened a new store in Cedar Center, is no longer closing the store at Severance.  They will be having both.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:21 PM »
^I drove by the new Wal Mart on Warrensville a couple of weeks ago ( I don't really go that way much) and it really is worse than I could have imagined.  It looked like I had just been transported to Streetsboro.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
According to one of the managers for Severance, now that Walmart is out of here (woo!!), two of the new stores that will be filling the space are Villa, and Citi Trends. Not to happy about that last one.... I almost feel like it would be better to have empty space here.

Why?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
^I drove by the new Wal Mart on Warrensville a couple of weeks ago ( I don't really go that way much) and it really is worse than I could have imagined.  It looked like I had just been transported to Streetsboro.

Streetsboro? 

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
From my understanding, theyre theyre on the larger end sizewise. This would then be taking up a good deal of the vacated Walmart space, most likely not leaving any room for my dream of a Kohls within walking distance.

OH, I almost forgot, a Taco Bell is rumored to be building on an outlot near Ihop