PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Stockyards Development  (Read 960 times)

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Stockyards Development
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
According to Cleveland's Design Review Agenda, the Joseph and Feiss factory is up for being designated a Cleveland landmark. That's a good thing, no?

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2009/051509/index.php

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »
sigh...the Hugo Boss stuff you could get there on the cheap.  sigh.

Yes, this is a good thing.  I though this development has the potential to be condos and townhouses.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
Yes... this is a good thing... it gives the property certain protections against demolition.  This building is indeed slated for conversion to condos.  Being a designated landmark may help it in obtaining certain grants / funding otherwise not available.

Offline brtshrcegr

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
sigh...the Hugo Boss stuff you could get there on the cheap.  sigh.

Yes, this is a good thing.  I though this development has the potential to be condos and townhouses.

You know all they did was move their "factory sales" (cool, cause in this case the label is actually accurate vs. outlet malls) to their Brooklyn location, right?  I remember their old location too, but this is still one of Cleveland's truly hidden (shopping) jewels!

I get emails from their outlet at least 2-3 times a week, and they still have full-on warehouse sales every once and a while too.  I've picked up a couple of $1200 suits for $350-400.

Here's a copy of the latest newsletter I got...email Denise if you want to be added to the list (and note the special  :clap:sale :clap: coming up for their "email friends"):

"Hugo Boss VIP Update

DON'T FORGET!!!

Starting Thursday, May 14th and Friday, May 15th (we're closed on the weekend) Continuing on Monday, Tuesday and ending on Wednesday, May 20th, we are offering all our preferred e-Mail friends 40% OFF plus and additional 10% OFF the entire store for these five days only!*

The selections are the best we have ever had.  YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO MISS THIS EVENT!
We look forward to seeing you.

Our hours of operation are: Mon. -  Fri., 10am - 6pm.
Please give us a call if you have any questions.

*Sale EXCLUDES:  watches, fragrances, sunglasses, boxed t-shirts, selected casual shirts, irregulars and a limited amount of pink tagged suits.
                                      This small group of items will still receive 10% off the ticket price!

Thanks and have a nice day,

Garry and Denise

HUGO BOSS Retail, Inc.
Denise Storc
Sales Associate
4600 Tiedeman Rd.
Brooklyn, Ohio 44144
USA
Phone  + 1 216 688 3278
Fax  + 1  216 688 0011
E-mail  Denise_Storc@hugoboss.com
www.hugoboss.com"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:30:42 AM by brtshrcegr »

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
Too bad they are closing the factory/warehouse and such by sometime next year!!

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »
Work resumes at the former Ashbury Towers housing project on Cleveland's West Side

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
February 14, 2010, 3:00AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Construction has started anew at a long-stagnant housing development on Cleveland's West Side.

Developer Marc Strauss slowly is reviving the former Ashbury Towers townhouse project on West 53rd Street, near Interstate 90. Since November, he has sold two homes and put another under contract. And workers soon will resume construction on six boarded-up homes on the property, repairing a neighborhood eyesore.

"The community is elated," said Alex Brazynetz, executive director of the Stockyard Redevelopment Organization.

MORE AT http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/work_resumes_at_the_former_ash.html

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
These are a half-dozen townhomes left unfinished at the incomplete Ashbury Towers (now Kierland Commons) housing development visible from I-90, just west of the West 44th exit. This project was halted when the developer backed out of it. There have been a couple of attempts at reviving this development, but now the city building inspectors have slapped violations on the six unfinished homes. Do a streetview of these properties to see how sad they look after sitting unfinished and abandoned for SIX years...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/bbs/agenda/2012/AGENDA07182012.pdf

Agenda
BOARD OF BUILDING STANDARDS AND BUILDING APPEALS
Room 514 – City Hall
216-664-2418
WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 2012

Docket A-37-12 4723 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)
Hubo One LLC, Owner, of the One Dwelling Unit Single-Family Residence Two & One/half Story Frame Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLATION—EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE, dated November 21, 2011; appellant appeals the Notice of Violation.

Docket A-38-12 4725 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)
Hubo One LLC, Owner, of the One Dwelling Unit Single-Family Residence Two & One/half Story Frame Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLATION—EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE, dated November 21, 2011; appellant appeals the Notice of Violation.

Docket A-39-12 4727 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)
Hubo One LLC, Owner, of the One Dwelling Unit Single-Family Residence Two & One/half
Story Frame Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLATION—EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE, dated November 21, 2011; appellant appeals the Notice of Violation.

Docket A-40-12 4731 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)

Docket A-41-12 4735 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)

Docket A-42-12 4751 Fenwick Avenue WARD: 15
(Matt Zone)
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
Oh wow...for some reason I thought six of them sold.  The main building received tax credits also.  Sad :(

Offline MorningTheft

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
My son's school, Menlo Park Academy, has a contract to buy the Joseph & Feiss property. They plan on converting the building(and surrounding 7 acres) into their new campus. They are in the due diligence phase right now, but if there are no unforeseen problems and the financing goes through, it should be a go.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
My son's school, Menlo Park Academy, has a contract to buy the Joseph & Feiss property. They plan on converting the building(and surrounding 7 acres) into their new campus. They are in the due diligence phase right now, but if there are no unforeseen problems and the financing goes through, it should be a go.

You mean this building? If so, that would be FANTASTIC!

Does Menlo Park Academy use the entire former St. Mel's school building (it looks L-shaped from the air)? And is Menlo Park Academy still about 370 students? If so that's got to be a REAL TIGHT fit in St. Mel's which, according to my estimates, is only about 25,000 to 30,000 square feet on two floors. The Joseph & Feiss building is about 70,000 to 75,000 square feet on four floors. That's also going to make that area an interesting mix of schools -- with the new Max Hayes High School on West 65th & Walworth, the ever-expanding Urban Community School on West 50th & Lorain, and now possibly Menlo Park Academy off West 53rd and Walworth.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
Ironically, four parcels that include the Joseph & Feiss building to the left, the gabled tower and building to the far right and the land in between them totaling 7 acres was acquired by quit claim deed on March 26 of this year by "WALWORTH LOFTS LLC."  https://www.dln.com/realestatetransfers/details/id/236738

The tax mailing address for Walworth Lofts is the same P.O. Box for Cleveland Lofts, owned by Doug Perkowski, which has about a dozen properties in Greater Cleveland mostly in the center city of Cleveland such as the Merrill Lofts and the Federal Knitting Mills: http://www.clv-lofts.com/

Offline MorningTheft

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
Yes, that's the building and site. Menlo uses all of st Mel's and it is very tight. We are at about 350 students now. The goal is to grow to 600 in the new building. 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »
Meh....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/pdf/NW_Meeting_Agenda_12-10-14.pdf

Near West Design Review District
Agenda
(8:30 a.m., Wednesday, December 10th, 2014)
Dollar Bank, 3115 West 25th Street

8:30 a.m. 1. NW 2014-023: Commercial Building Demolition (C)
4323 Clark Avenue
Project Representative – Osama Iwais, Property Owner; Susan Eliason, TRW
Construction, LLC
Proposed demolition of a commercial stores & suites building.

10:15 a.m. 6. NW 2014-028: Family Dollar Store (C)
6605 Clark Avenue
Project Representative – Chuck Colombo, Colombo Enterprises, Inc.
Proposed construction of a 9,120 s.f. Family Dollar discount store with 25 parking
spaces on the SW corner of the Clark Avenue-West 65th Street intersection.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:26:32 AM by KJP »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »
Follow-up to the above....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/pdf/NW_Meeting_Agenda2-25-14.pdf

NW 2014-028: Family Dollar Store (C)
6605 Clark Avenue
Project Representative – Chuck Colombo, Colombo Enterprises, Inc.
Site plan revisions pursuant to the proposed construction of a 9,120 s.f. Family
Dollar discount store with 25 parking spaces on the SW corner of the Clark
Avenue-West 65th Street intersection. Case was tabled by the Committee at its
December 10th meeting to permit the applicant to re-study the positioning
and orientation of the building.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:15:26 PM by KJP »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »

You mean this building? If so, that would be FANTASTIC!

Does Menlo Park Academy use the entire former St. Mel's school building (it looks L-shaped from the air)? And is Menlo Park Academy still about 370 students? If so that's got to be a REAL TIGHT fit in St. Mel's which, according to my estimates, is only about 25,000 to 30,000 square feet on two floors. The Joseph & Feiss building is about 70,000 to 75,000 square feet on four floors. That's also going to make that area an interesting mix of schools -- with the new Max Hayes High School on West 65th & Walworth, the ever-expanding Urban Community School on West 50th & Lorain, and now possibly Menlo Park Academy off West 53rd and Walworth.

Follow-up.....

Menlo Park Academy buys former Joseph & Feiss complex
By STAN BULLARD
March 13, 2015 2:17 PM

Plans are in the works to revive the former Joseph & Feiss complex on Cleveland’s West Side as a campus for a charter school focused on gifted children.

Menlo Park Academy of Cleveland is the new owner of the highly vandalized and graffiti stained building.

Since 1997, the 1920-vintage garment factory and warehouse has been the subject of two sets of stalled plans by different developers to redo it for residential use. The original suit maker shut the West Side operation that same year. It consolidated its Hugo Boss line to its Brooklyn location, which again is under a closing threatened for April.

Fraser Hamilton, a member of Menlo’s board and chair of its facilities commission, said in a phone interview on Friday, March 13, that the brick building will allow the school to increase its enrollment to more than 600. It can’t grow much beyond its present 364 students at its current location at 144000 Triskett Road, the former St. Mel’s school. Menlo serves students from kindergarten through eighth grade.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150313/FREE/150319908/menlo-park-academy-buys-former-joseph-feiss-complex

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
To call this project big is too small of a word. There are many graphics (which can be enlarged) at the link below....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/06112015/index.php

Cleveland Landmarks Commission
CITY HALL - ROOM 514 - 9:00 AM
AGENDA - June 11, 2015

CERTIFICATES OF APPROPRIATENESS
Photo Gallery
Joseph and Feiss Warehouse: Case 15-042
2149-57 West 53rd Street
Renovation for Menlo Park Academy

More graphics at the following link:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/06112015/index.php

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
This is in regards to the land area at the top of the graphic below. R2 zoning allows residential densities up to two-family homes. R3 allows apartment buildings...

The site to be rezoned is owned by Hubo One LLC (aka Marc Strauss), which also bought and redeveloped the unfinished/burned townhomes along Fenwick that were started by Ameri-Con Ashbury LLC in the early 2000s. Hubo/Strauss finished the townhouses and sold them off. Looks like he's seeking to develop apartments along Walworth Run between the townhouses and the new Menlo Park Academy (former Joseph Feiss factory)....

Cleveland Planning Commission
Agenda for April 7, 2017

Ordinance No. 278-17(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): Changing the Area District of lands situated along the east side of Walworth Avenue, north of Junction Road, south of I-90 from an RA2 District to an RA3 District.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:46:37 AM by KJP »

Offline YO to the CLE

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
Very good! The first signs that development might soon start to move to the other side of 90. Baby steps...

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
The main building of Menlo Park looks about finished. I didn't get close enough to really check it out, but from distance the renovation looks incredible. It was the early evening so the pics have a bit of grain. If I can get back there soon I'll try to take better pics. The complex is at the corner of W.53rd and Walworth Ave for anybody that wants to look around.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:34:08 PM by Mendo »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Sadly, it's an oasis in a mess of a neighborhood.

Offline Bookman

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
Perhaps, but I have three kids at this school and they are thriving there.  The school is the top-ranked gifted school in Ohio and is attracting a great deal of attention.  Hopefully this will help develop the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=_rw791O3By0

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
wow this is just fantastic to see.

i am so glad that awesome eyesore was saved and rehabbed into such a nice looking building.

i hope the site gets r3 zoning and some real density. it's rather isolated and very well located, so it's perfect for something like a mini modern urban neighborhood of its own.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
With very few exceptions, apartments should be allowed throughout the city.  It is particularly absurd to ban apartments in areas where there's no suburban tranquility to disrupt.  Cleveland's outdated anti-density laws are in need of immediate reform.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
Perhaps, but I have three kids at this school and they are thriving there.  The school is the top-ranked gifted school in Ohio and is attracting a great deal of attention.  Hopefully this will help develop the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=_rw791O3By0

I hope so. I drove a friend from Florida (who is looking to boomerang back to Ohio or New York state) around the city a few weeks ago and we drove by the new school. As we bounced over the terrible roads in the neighborhood past the overgrown, vacant lots and boarded-up, run-down buildings, I quickly headed over to the Clark and on to Tremont to try to show some of the better sides of the city. I don't think he forgot what he saw though. I know I didn't.

Offline Bookman

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »
Cross-post
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,29115.msg875739.html#msg875739

Thanks KJP for posting the article about Menlo Park Academy.