Author Topic: Cleveland: Slavic Village: Development and News  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Zimzolla

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
Re: Cleveland: Slavic Village developments
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Oh, well City Beautiful is currently working with the Slavic Village development corporation, Councilman Brancatelli, and planners from the City of Cleveland to develop an urban plan focusing on housing, historic preservation, economic development, and green space for the neighborhood. We are trying to figure out a way to strengthen the neighborhood brand as a polish enclave, attract new residents who are interested in active lifestyles (really being pushed by the CDC, think morgana run and the velodrome), bring investment to fleet avenue and attempt to concentrate the dispersed polish community groups there, figure out tough preservation problems like AB Hart school and the myriad of dilapidated housing in the neighborhood (saving the historic ones and demoing the least historic and most dilapidated), and getting investment into the historic Broadway avenue area. That's a pretty broad overview of our goals.

And believe me, if it were up to me, there would be no demolitions, but in the reality that we face, the city has demo money burning a hole in its pocket, so the best we can do is divert the demolitions away from the best housing and the most intact neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:52:38 PM by Zimzolla »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
A must-read article. This article got me to want to move to Slavic Village! And the story of Mike Malak, the retired city water department worker, will surely put a tear in your eye....

How a Community Demolished Its Way Out of a Crisis
By George E. Condon Jr. | Monday, December 10, 2012 | 5:12 p.m.

CLEVELAND - To outsiders, the Polish Constitution Day parade wending its way down Cleveland’s East 65th Street did not seem anything special. Though it was spirited and the participants undeniably put a lot of work into the 130 units, it couldn’t match the city’s much larger St. Patrick’s Day parade, whose 245 units drew half a million people downtown just a month earlier. Nor could it rival the nation’s most famous Constitution Day event, the Chicago parade that would attract 250,000 to Grant Park six days later.

But to Anthony Brancatelli and the other residents of Slavic Village and its Warszawa Historic District, folks who have had to fight so hard in recent years to save their neighborhood, this parade was about as special as it gets. Almost no neighborhood in the country has been hit harder over the last decade than Slavic Village. In 2007, it drew international attention when it suffered more home foreclosures than any other place in the country. Abandoned houses suddenly blighted every street. Crime soared as gangs got emboldened. Churches were shuttered. And, yes, even the Constitution Day parade that had been so much a part of the community for so many decades was taken away from them, moved in 2010 by a skittish Ohio Polish American Congress intent on fleeing to a suburb they viewed as safer.

READ MORE AT:
http://mobile.nationaljournal.com/features/restoration-calls/how-a-community-demolished-its-way-out-of-a-crisis-20121210?page=1
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:18:08 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
Awesome!  Ironically I was coming on here to post it.  Great to hear about the people planting roots to rebuild a new foundation and future for a cultural gem like Slavic Village.

Offline DeanSheen

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Good read.

I went to the Red Chimney last week for the first time for lunch.  I did not drive down any side streets, I guess I'll have to do that sometime.

I hope that we are reaching a tipping point in this city, but many more demolitions have to occur before that happens.  I was talking to a lady at work who lives on E 115 about how I rarely cross E55 and she told me her street was getting better.  I know someone else who moved over to E 65 about 4 years ago and likes it.

I'm really not in touch with how many reverse migrations there are in town.  There are opportunities to live cheap if you can put up with other issues, it just takes courage and fortitude.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »
A must-read article. This article got me to want to move to Slavic Village! And the story of Mike Malak, the retired city water department worker, will surely put a tear in your eye....

http://mobile.nationaljournal.com/features/restoration-calls/how-a-community-demolished-its-way-out-of-a-crisis-20121210?page=1

He knew that destroying his mom’s house was “the good Christian thing to do.” But it was still hard. The first strike by the large backhoe smashed through the back window where his mother used to sit in her living room. “When he pulled that wall down, I just wanted to yell out, ‘No. Stop. Stop. I’ll fix the house’,” he said. “It was very emotional.” So emotional that the next day he drove to Holy Cross Cemetery where his parents are buried to explain what he had done. But to his surprise, he was calm. He joked that his trips to the cemetery normally feature him “apologizing” to his parents for various things. But this time, he said, “It was different. It’s the first time I went out there and I wasn’t apologizing to Mom. I knew this was the right thing to do.”

Amazingly sad.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
City Planning Commission
Agenda for November 16, 2012

EAST DESIGN REVIEW

EAST2012-036 – Dollar General New Construction
Project Address: 6045-6115 Broadway Avenue
Project Representatives: Mark Jablonski, CenterMark Development
Mark Smith, Design Management Architects

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/11162012/index.php

The following appears to be the same development as in the above......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2012/crr12-31-2012.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals

December 31, 2012

9:30 Ward 12
Calendar No. 12-217: 6107 Broadway Avenue Anthony Brancatelli
23 Notices

Slavic Village Development, owner, and Centermark Development appeal to construct a
new discount store proposed to be on consolidated parcels located in zoning for C2 General
Retail and B1 Two Family Districts, a retail store and accessory uses not permitted
in a Two-Family District under the limitations of Section 337.03; and a parking requirement
for 67 spaces in accordance with Section 349.04(f) and by the provisions in Section
325.03 such spaces shall equal 180 square feet; and screening of off-street parking spaces,
located on a lot adjacent to a residence district or that adjoins a building containing
dwelling units, shall be screened by an opaque wall, or a uniformly painted fence of fireresistant
material, or a strip of land at least 4 feet wide and densely planted with shrubs
that form a dense screen year-round, pursuant to Section 349.08. By the stipulations
under Sections 352.08 through 352.11, a dumpster enclosure and parking of motor vehicles
in the required 10 feet wide transition strip are not permitted; a minimum 6 feet
wide landscaping strip providing 50 percent year-round opacity is required along the
street frontages and a minimum 10 feet wide transition/landscaping strip providing 75
percent year-round opacity is required along the rear property line according to the
Cleveland Codified Ordinances. (Filed 12-7-12)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:49:04 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
FCE partnership!

slavic village recovery aims to remake section of city with no public subsidy
Thursday, July 25, 2013

Slavic Village Recovery, an ambitious effort to provide an extreme neighborhood makeover to a 530-acre chunk of the east side, has begun the process of purchasing 40 homes that will be rehabbed.

Two of these properties already have been put on the market with new mechanicals and other finishes for a mere $60,000, says Marie Kittredge, Executive Director of Slavic Village Development, a partner in the project along with Forest City Enterprises and Safeguard Properties.

"The model is: If my kids are 20-somethings buying their first house, what would that first house look like and what would be attractive to them?" explains Kittredge. "We have to build demand by telling the story. We believe our demographic is people who are already familiar with the neighborhood and ready to buy."

Slavic Village Recovery's innovative model focuses on renovating a majority of the vacant homes on a multi-block area around Mound Avenue and E. 54th Street, where 20- to 30-percent vacancy rates prevail. The homes are acquired from lenders and rehabbed using a model that includes all major items but does not include reconfiguring floor plans, adding bedrooms or other expensive options.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/slavicvillagerecovery072513.aspx

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
^Guess FCE can now say they're doing something for their hometown.

Online skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »

Drove through Broadway for first time in a year or 2: The dollar tree store is fully built, neon sign is up, parking lot is paved but the landscaping needs to be done. Looks like it should open relatively soon.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Slavic Village, devastated by the national housing crisis, is battling back
By Robert L. Smith, The Plain Dealer
on September 25, 2013 at 6:00 AM, updated September 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- On a warm fall afternoon just before dinner, Cecelia Smith mounted a riding mower, steered it into the empty lot beside her tidy yellow house in the city's Slavic Village neighborhood, and roared into her weekly chore.

She carved long, shaggy rows from a field she does not own but cannot ignore. If the grass soars too high, field mice and garter snakes find their way into her basement.

Beating back the wilderness is part of life now on her small block in the thick of the city, where vacant lots outnumber occupied homes.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/slavic_village_devastated_by_t.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:28:13 PM by KJP »

Offline tradition7

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
If I could choose 1 neighborhood to come back to a vibrant life it would be Slavic Village.  I love the history of the area.  Let's hope after OC, Detroit Shoreway, and N. Collinwood fill in, that this is the next trendy neighborhood (I fear that is too many years away though).  The key is probably getting families back to the neighborhood and I'm not sure how you do that even if jobs return to the immediate area.  I love the passion of those fighting for the neighborhood.  I dislike the new cookie cutter homes but I understand almost any housing is better than boarded homes or no homes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:09:08 PM by tradition7 »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
Interesting link from the comments section: http://six5bistro.com/about-us.html

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
If I could choose 1 neighborhood to come back to a vibrant life it would be Slavic Village.  I love the history of the area.  Let's hope after OC, Detroit Shoreway, and N. Collinwood fill in, that this is the next trendy neighborhood (I fear that is too many years away though).  The key is probably getting families back to the neighborhood and I'm not sure how you do that even if jobs return to the immediate area.  I love the passion of those fighting for the neighborhood.  I dislike the new cookie cutter homes but I understand almost any housing is better than boarded homes or no homes.

It won't be anything close to the same.  Indeed, it will be far more like those neighborhoods du juor that it will be to what it was, or even Little Italy. 

Ethnic neighborhoods grew their character.  It wasn't planned.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
Cleveland's Green Homes III project:

Cleveland Green Homes celebrates new home in Slavic Village
Cleveland Housing Network helps future home buyers

Posted: 8:58 PM
Last Updated: 7 hours and 46 minutes ago

•By: Brian Archer, newsnet5.com By: Brian Archer, newsnet5.com

CLEVELAND - Mayor Frank Jackson, Councilman Tony Brancatelli and officials from the Cleveland Housing Network (CHN) helped Ena Hill cut the ribbon on the Sebert Avenue home that she someday hopes to buy. The Slavic Village home is one of 40 being built or rehabbed by the housing network through the Cleveland Green Homes III project.

This home joins those being built and rehabbed in the Buckeye, Fairfax, Glenville, Detroit Shoreway and Tremont neighborhoods. These neighborhoods have been targeted for rebuilding by CHN as those most effected the the housing mortgage crisis.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/cleveland-green-homes-celebrates-new-home-in-slavic-village#ixzz2i79R5OKu

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2014, 05:32:55 PM »
bistro to open this spring in long-vacant slavic village bank building
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2014

Christian Ostenson says that he wants to do for Slavic Village what Sam McNulty did for Ohio City. He's emulating that successful entrepreneur by opening Thee Six5 Bistro, a 5,000-square-foot restaurant in a renovated, historic bank building in the Warszawa District on E. 65th. And while Slavic Village isn't Ohio City -- and isn't necessarily striving to be -- the new venue seems destined to add to the area's hidden charm.

Ostenson says Six5 will be an affordable, all-American bistro with frequent Polish and Slovenian specials in a nod to the area's rich ethnic heritage. It will have an open floor plan, large push-open windows and a rooftop deck and bar. Situated directly across from St. Stanislaus Church in the heart of the historic district, the building offers great views in an area with plenty of foot traffic.

"We want to make Slavic Village a destination, to bring people back to see what the area has to offer," says Ostenson, who steered clear of pricier real estate in Tremont or Ohio City because he wanted a spot where he could be a "pioneer."

READ MORE AT:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/six5bistro022014.aspx

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »
^ Why do these articles never post the actual address? "Warszawa district on E 65th" doesn't mean anything to anybody that doesn't know that area.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:08:39 PM by Mendo »

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »
I'm mostly intrigued by the intersection of E.55th and Broadway.

The location next to St. Stans is prefect for building a stong nucleus for the neighborhood.

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »

The location next to St. Stans is prefect for building a stong nucleus for the neighborhood.

Agreed. I love that area. Could be so cool. I wish the bistro success, but I have a pet peeve towards restaurants/bars/clubs that mix the spelling of numbers with actual numerals.  Either do 365 or Three Six Five.  Three Six5 looks cheesy.

Offline buckeye1

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
Well it's equally obnoxious but it's not "Three Six5", it's "Thee Six5" - I guess the holy "Thee" comes from being by the church, and the Six5 for its location on E. 65th?

At least it's not Thee Olde Six5 Bistro Shoppe…
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:27:06 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:05 AM »
Well it's equally obnoxious but it's not "Three Six5", it's "Thee Six5" - I guess the holy "Thee" comes from being by the church, and the Six5 for its location on E. 65th?

At least it's not Thee Olde Six5 Bistro Shoppe…

Wow, THEE not three. I completely misread that!  However, my point still stands:).  And yes, no oldes or shoppes :-D

Offline CLE618

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »
So, I recently began working in Slavic Village and since then, I've completely fallen in love with the neighborhood and its potential. So much so that I am negotiating the purchase of a home in Slavic Village. I noticed that Slavic doesn't get too much attention on UO, but until I began working there, I never realized how many great things are going on. Therefore, I wanted to post a couple of the major projects going on in Slavic Village right now.... Feel free, anyone, to add any pictures from the links I am providing.

Fleet Avenue Project (Construction has broken ground)
http://slavicvillage.org/fleet-avenue-funded
^^ Major redevelopment and streetscape project of Fleet Avenue including bike lanes, signage/banners, brick crosswalks, etc.

Slavic Village Recovery Homes
http://slavicvillage.org/recoveryhomes
^^Slavic Village Development is heading a project to rehab 300 homes in 3 years to move-in ready condition. The homes are being updated and are aimed at young, first-time homebuyers with the prices averaging between $55,500-65,000.

Trailside Homes
http://www.trailsidecleveland.com/trailside/
^^Single family, new-built homes starting at $126k. Located off-Broadway behind Third Federal Savings.

Also worth noting...
-Thee Six5 Bistro is opening this spring and it looks awesome! They currently have a kick-starter project going to purchase their pizza oven.
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1520004833/entrepreneurs-re-baking-the-warszawa-historic-dist

-Cleveland Central Catholic High School recently completed an expansion to their school, including a beautiful new corner at Baxter Ave, which overlooks a beautiful new football stadium built along Broadway Avenue. The stadium is built on City of Cleveland property and is open to the public- including the turf field.

-Slavic Village is also home to some amazing food, including The Red Chimney, Seven Roses, and Becker's Donuts

I am excited about my new relationship with Slavic Village and I hope that other Clevelanders will begin, or continue, to give some attention to Slavic Village!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:44:54 AM by CLE618 »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
So, I recently began working in Slavic Village and since then, I've completely fallen in love with the neighborhood and its potential. So much so that I am negotiating the purchase of a home in Slavic Village. I noticed that Slavic doesn't get too much attention on UO, but until I began working there, I never realized how many great things are going on. Therefore, I wanted to post a couple of the major projects going on in Slavic Village right now.... Feel free, anyone, to add any pictures from the links I am providing.

Fleet Avenue Project (Construction has broken ground)
http://slavicvillage.org/fleet-avenue-funded
^^ Major redevelopment and streetscape project of Fleet Avenue including bike lanes, signage/banners, brick crosswalks, etc.

Slavic Village Recovery Homes
http://slavicvillage.org/recoveryhomes
^^Slavic Village Development is heading a project to rehab 300 homes in 3 years to move-in ready condition. The homes are being updated and are aimed at young, first-time homebuyers with the prices averaging between $55,500-65,000.

Trailside Homes
http://www.trailsidecleveland.com/trailside/
^^Single family, new-built homes starting at $126k. Located off-Broadway behind Third Federal Savings.

Also worth noting...
-Thee Six5 Bistro is opening this spring and it looks awesome! They currently have a kick-starter project going to purchase their pizza oven.
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1520004833/entrepreneurs-re-baking-the-warszawa-historic-dist

-Cleveland Central Catholic High School recently completed an expansion to their school, including a beautiful new corner at Baxter Ave, which overlooks a beautiful new football stadium built along Broadway Avenue. The stadium is built on City of Cleveland property and is open to the public- including the turf field.

-Slavic Village is also home to some amazing food, including The Red Chimney, Seven Roses, and Becker's Donuts

I am excited about my new relationship with Slavic Village and I hope that other Clevelanders will begin, or continue, to give some attention to Slavic Village!

There's plenty of attention.  Not all of it's positive though.

It's always been an area that's inspired a lot of passion among those of us with roots there.  Similar to Little Italy, at a lower and less often violent level.  When the area didn't "hold out" for various reasons, for many previous partisans that passion turned bitter.  A lot of people who used to love that area won't go there on a bet right now.

Bringing it back will have to address the issues of crime and perception of crime, by no means in that order of importance.  I really don't see how the old character can be restored.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

Agreed. I love that area. Could be so cool. I wish the bistro success, but I have a pet peeve towards restaurants/bars/clubs that mix the spelling of numbers with actual numerals.  Either do 365 or Three Six Five.  Three Six5 looks cheesy.

Yes, that area could come back in a big way, although it would certainly be a gentrified version of what it once was.  Don't forget that it's reasonably close to the 55th street Rapid stop, which includes not only the Red Line but, unless things have changed, the Blue and Green as well.  It also has good freeway access and the OC would potentially help it as well.

Again, safety would have to be addressed.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »

Cool! Welcome to your new neighborhood! Please keep us posted on these and more developments.

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
That's great news, CLE618!  Slavic Village is definitely an under appreciated asset.  People have been talking about it as the "next" neighborhood to pop for at least 15 years.  Hope things move along quickly!

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »
I can not wait to make it down to check out the velodrome some day. Here in San Diego they have race nights with an MC that plays music between and even during the races. He also knows most of the riders so the crowd gets all kinds of cool background information about them. The races are awesome. And the best part, it's byob and there's food trucks there. Here's hoping there's the same sort of scene developing in the Village.

Offline lafont

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
Fleet Avenue in Slavic Village looks dreary.  It looks like there's hasn't been any significant revitalization plan in over 20 years.  Curbs, walks, street pavement, empty tree planters and plots look very bad.  So do many buildings, and many are vacant or stores are hardly ever open, but that's a different matter.  I'm particularly asking if there are streetscape or general rejuvenation plans in the works?  I haven't seen anything about it. Yes, parts of the Broadway area have been undergoing renewal, and there's some new residential on East 65th, but I'm asking about Fleet itself and its immediate vicinity.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:07:40 PM by lafont »

Offline lafont

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
Okay - I just found this article: http://slavicvillage.org/fleet-avenue-funded
Does anyone know if these plans are actually materializing and if construction will indeed begin this fall?

Offline CLE618

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
Can't you just look before you post?  :whip:

It will begin this fall.