PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development  (Read 1895 times)

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
I like the overall arrangement and design in those pictures but now I'm really confused.  This isn't just boxes, it's construction using boxes, which means sinking money and effort into something that's still boxes when we're done.  Kinsman deserves real buildings, just like the rest of Cleveland.

Apparently it doesn't, yet.   These are infinitely better than vacant fields and ruins.

If they succeed, they help justify more permanent structures.

That logic is what concerns me.  A weak stab is being substituted for a full go, with performance of the weak stab being used to determine the hypothetical success of a full go.  First of all, apples and oranges.  But if this doesn't work, even if the problem is site choice or single-use or the limitations of shipping containers or whatever, it becomes a new argument for the TJ Dows of the world to use against honest to goodness urban retail.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:46:56 AM by 327 »

Offline jws

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
I actually really like these concepts. This type of container architecture can go pretty far and I think can make for an interesting space, so I don't really see this type of development as "less than."

I'd actually love to see it duplicated on the West Side along stretches like Madison where there are some sprawling parking lots and substandard buildings that don't conform to an urban environment (Dollar General, Gryo George, etc).

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
I like the overall arrangement and design in those pictures but now I'm really confused.  This isn't just boxes, it's construction using boxes, which means sinking money and effort into something that's still boxes when we're done.  Kinsman deserves real buildings, just like the rest of Cleveland.

Apparently it doesn't, yet.   These are infinitely better than vacant fields and ruins.

If they succeed, they help justify more permanent structures.

That logic is what concerns me.  A weak stab is being substituted for a full go, with performance of the weak stab being used to determine the hypothetical success of a full go.  First of all, apples and oranges.  But if this doesn't work, even if the problem is site choice or single-use or the limitations of shipping containers or whatever, it becomes a new argument for the TJ Dows of the world to use against honest to goodness urban retail.

It's not the "Dows" that the viability of neighborhoods has to be proven to.  It's private sector investors and entrepreneurs.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
A few demolitions are on design-review's agenda this week including this, which appears to be part of a larger vision for lower Kinsman including a nature center....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/04212017/index.php
EAST2017-011 – Proposed Demolition of a One-Story Institutional Use Building
Project Address: 6833 Berwick Road
Project Representative: Jason Minter, Burten, Bell, Carr Development

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/04212017/image/6833_Berwick_06.jpg
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »
^ I sure hope the Sidaway Bridge gets put back into use as part of broader greenway plan.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #425 on: April 25, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

Talk about oversimplifying it. This a commercial project and has to meet the same requirements as any other commercial building.

Here's another project that's a "...still boxes when we're done."

At any rate, the project received planning approval.
http://www.thearchoffice.com/2017/04/24/boxspot-gets-nod-cleveland-planning-commission/

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #426 on: April 25, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
I meant literally boxes, as in metal crates not intended for human occupancy.  The nucleus tower design is a bit boxy for my preference but that's a matter of aesthetics.  There we're talking about an actual building, a significant one, rather than recycled trailer parts.  I hope we can agree that recognizing this distinction is more than just a failure to think outside the box.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:19:12 PM by 327 »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
Cleveland city council approves plan to reopen East Side Market
September 28, 2015
LEE CHILCOTE

Cleveland’s East Side Market closed in 2007, leaving behind an empty building in the heart of the Glenville neighborhood. Now a plan is underway to reopen the municipally owned facility, which launched in 1988 as a fresh foods market for the city’s northeastern neighborhoods, as a full-service grocery store, health clinic and hub for food-related businesses.

At the request of Cleveland City Council members Kevin Conwell, Jeff Johnson and Mike Polensek, council at a Sept. 14 meeting approved leasing the property to Northeast Ohio Neighborhood Health Services (NEON), a nonprofit that operates community health centers in Cleveland and East Cleveland. The city will lease the property at East 105th and St. Clair for just $1 per year. Using both public and private funds, NEON aims to complete a $3.5 million renovation that it says will create at least 103 jobs.

The most significant part of the project is the fact that it will bring a new fresh foods market to an area that is considered a food desert. Mazzulo’s Fresh Market, a family-owned grocer with two small stores in Aurora and Bainbridge, has signed a letter of intent to lease 13,000 square feet of the property at a price of $15 per square foot. The new Mazzulo’s will be stocked with fresh meats, seafood and fruits and vegetables and will also have a small outdoor café with Wi-Fi.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150928/BLOGS16/150929832/cleveland-city-council-approves-plan-to-reopen-east-side-market

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/pdf/NE_Design_Review_Agenda_05-2-17.pdf

8:40am 3. NE 2017-015 —Gateway 105 Farmer’s Market – New Construction (N)
Glenville Design Review District
Seeking schematic approval for the proposed new construction of a temporary
fresh market stand and community space.
Project Representative: Julie Criscione, JMC Owner’s Rep Services, LLC

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
I meant literally boxes, as in metal crates not intended for human occupancy.  The nucleus tower design is a bit boxy for my preference but that's a matter of aesthetics.  There we're talking about an actual building, a significant one, rather than recycled trailer parts.  I hope we can agree that recognizing this distinction is more than just a failure to think outside the box.

Well played....

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »
Despite redlining and foreclosure, Cleveland's East Side could grow with smart investment: panel (photos)
By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer
on May 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio - There's a deep connection between the history of redlining on the East Side of Cleveland and the continuing decline of neighborhoods hollowed out by subprime lending and the mortgage foreclosure crisis of the 2000s.

So said Terry Schwarz, director of Kent State University's Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative in her kickoff to a panel discussion on why redevelopment in poor, predominantly black neighborhoods on the city's East Side is lagging that of the West Side.

To illustrate her point, she showed contemporary maps of distressed and foreclosed properties on the East Side of Cleveland that looked eerily similar to redlining maps of the 1930s and '40s.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/05/despite_legacy_of_redlining_an.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2017, 06:51:32 AM »
FRONT exhibit aims to spur Glenville renaissance with global artists residency (photos)
Posted on May 28, 2017 at 6:01 AM
BY STEVEN LITT, THE PLAIN DEALER

CLEVELAND, Ohio - From Playhouse Square and University Circle to Ohio City, Tremont and Detroit Shoreway, Cleveland has a reputation for using the arts to delight the mind and the soul, and to spark neighborhood revitalization.

Both practices soon will take root in Glenville, the poor, primarily black neighborhood sandwiched between University Circle and Bratenahl that yearns to regain its former status as one of the city's most desirable districts.

The Front International Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art (FRONT) plans to announce formally on Monday that the former Medical Associates Building at 1464 East 105th Street - a local landmark - is being renovated as the home base for a yearlong residency for a dozen artists participating in the ambitious global exhibit in the summer of 2018.

MORE
http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/05/front_exhibit_aim_to_spur_glenville.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #431 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/06022017/index.php

NORTHEAST DESIGN REVIEW
NE2017-015 – Gateway 105 Farmer's Market New Construction: Seeking Final  Approval
Project Addresses: 1318-1322 East 105th Street
Project Representative: Julie Criscione, JMC Owner's Rep Services

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
That's a barn, and not a very attractive one.  We'd be better off using tents until an appropriate structure can be built.

Offline jws

« Reply #433 on: June 01, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
That's a barn, and not a very attractive one.  We'd be better off using tents until an appropriate structure can be built.

Perhaps modular containers?

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
Low expectations met with equal effort.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »

Perhaps modular containers?

Let's just pave it over and have people sell things from the trunks of their cars.  We'll call them "buskers" and that'll elevate the whole affair.

Offline jws

« Reply #436 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
Let's just pave it over and have people sell things from the trunks of their cars.  We'll call them "buskers" and that'll elevate the whole affair.

I guess my primary question would be what you see as a proper design for a farmer's market?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #437 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
This is a low-income/working-class neighborhood that's trying to avoid slipping into the third-world conditions of many other abandoned east-side Cleveland neighborhoods + East Cleveland. I'm not sure what you're expecting for this neighborhood for the resources it can muster, but anything that provides a sense of hope and positive momentum is a valuable asset for Glenville. Perhaps you should visit some of the other farmers markets in east-side Cleveland neighborhoods. Maybe someday this market can become an establishment like the Coit Road Farmers Market that's served its neighborhood with fresh food (not junk food served from convenience stores in this massive food desert) for 85 years and appears to serve as the design contemporary for the Gateway 105 market....

Offline jws

« Reply #438 on: June 01, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
I'd also add that this rendering is just a SketchUp model. You can't infer the quality of the materials.

If this structure is built with suitable quality materials it will be very nice and akin to any equivalent permanent farmer's market you'd get in a much wealthier area.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #439 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
Maybe someday you'll lead an effort to actually build something tangible and realize just how hard it really is. Or, maybe you'll prove to all of us how wrong we really are. I look forward to hearing your findings.

Offline jws

« Reply #440 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
If you want to make excuses for poor design standards, or claim that poor design standards will help Glenville avoid third world status, it's a free country.  But don't complain later that we aren't getting the breaks other cities get, that the economy hates Cleveland, cars hate Cleveland, suburbs hate Cleveland, etc.  Not when Cleveland opts for half-measures, low quality, ugliness and failure at every opportunity, and then has the audacity to use "Cleveland" as an excuse.

Nobody will stand up for us until we stand up for ourselves.  People who live on the east side of Cleveland do not deserve garbage buildings because they live on the east side of Cleveland.  Glenville is not the third world, it is part of our home and we need to show more pride in it.  The notion that Glenville should have to face its problems alone, financially or otherwise, is the core of the problem here.  We should all be ashamed of this, whatever part of the region we live in.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. The point where we diverge is that I objectively do not think that this proposed building is bad, and I'm not sure your concept of what should be built aligns with what a community farmer's market actually is. As I pointed out above, it seems you want this to be a full-out market which is just not the scope of this project.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:47:52 PM by jws »

Offline inlovewithCLE

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #441 on: June 01, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
Maybe someday you'll lead an effort to actually build something tangible and realize just how hard it really is. Or, maybe you'll prove to all of us how wrong we really are. I look forward to hearing your findings.

Preach

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #442 on: June 01, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
If you want to make excuses for poor design standards, or claim that poor design standards will help Glenville avoid third world status, it's a free country.  But don't complain later that we aren't getting the breaks other cities get, that the economy hates Cleveland, cars hate Cleveland, suburbs hate Cleveland, etc.  Not when Cleveland opts for half-measures, low quality, ugliness and failure at every opportunity, and then has the audacity to use "Cleveland" as an excuse.

Nobody will stand up for us until we stand up for ourselves.  People who live on the east side of Cleveland do not deserve garbage buildings because they live on the east side of Cleveland.  Glenville is not the third world, it is part of our home and we need to show more pride in it.  The notion that Glenville should have to face its problems alone, financially or otherwise, is the core of the problem here.  We should all be ashamed of this, whatever part of the region we live in.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. The point where we diverge is that I objectively do not think that this proposed building is bad, and I'm not sure your concept of what should be built aligns with what a community farmer's market actually is. As I pointed out above, it seems you want this to be a full-out market which is just not the scope of this project.

That's fine if you like it, and you may be right that the next rendering will look better.  I can't even discern what it's supposed to be made of.  The footprint looks to be pretty minimal and that troubles me more than any specific design aspect.  Does the "farmers market" concept require big lawns?  If so, this probably doesn't belong on the corner of 105th.

Offline jws

« Reply #443 on: June 02, 2017, 07:03:40 AM »
I think it really depends on the scale of the operation. I haven't been to the existing Gateway 105 open-air market, but it looks like the size of this new facility marks a pretty significant scaling up of the current market. (https://www.facebook.com/Gateway105/). There also appears to be enough room to grow in size. Location-wise I think they want to keep it within relatively close proximity of the current market site.

I'm not sure if the structure is intended for all-year use or if this will still be a seasonal thing. As I understand, this entire project is designed by and for the existing Gateway 105 farmer's market (through Famicos), so I assume it's in line with their needs and long-term plan.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:08:56 AM by jws »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #444 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
AMAZING VIDEO (note over an hour):

East Side Development: Prospects for Reinvention

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »
East Design Review District
Agenda
8:30a.m., Tuesday, June 13th, 2017
Cornucopia Place, 7201 Kinsman Avenue

8:45 East 2017-xxx E 79th Street TLCI Study C
E 79th Street between Woodland and Garden Valley Aves.
Ward 5
Burten, Bell, Carr District
Alex Pesta, City Architecture

Some background.....

Cleveland's E. 79th Transit Oriented Corridor Project 
Cleveland's East 79th Street transit Oriented Corridor Study area comprises a section of East 79th Street between Woodland and Carson Avenue. Key destinations within the study area are RTA's Red and Blue/Green Line transit stations. This study examines the East 79th street corridor identifying opportunities for transit-oriented development in proximity to the RTA's Red and Blue/Green Line stations. In addition, this study will focus on roadway and land use enhancements that strengthen the north-south connection to the $331 million Opportunity Corridor. This will help build a sustainable mulit-modal transportation system supporting economic development, and enhance the quality of life for Northeast Ohio. These connections and improvements within the immediate neighborhoods address health, equity and connectivity.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
East Design Review District
Agenda
8:30a.m., Tuesday, June 13th, 2017
Cornucopia Place, 7201 Kinsman Avenue

8:45 East 2017-xxx E 79th Street TLCI Study C
E 79th Street between Woodland and Garden Valley Aves.
Ward 5
Burten, Bell, Carr District
Alex Pesta, City Architecture

Some background.....

Cleveland's E. 79th Transit Oriented Corridor Project 
Cleveland's East 79th Street transit Oriented Corridor Study area comprises a section of East 79th Street between Woodland and Carson Avenue. Key destinations within the study area are RTA's Red and Blue/Green Line transit stations. This study examines the East 79th street corridor identifying opportunities for transit-oriented development in proximity to the RTA's Red and Blue/Green Line stations. In addition, this study will focus on roadway and land use enhancements that strengthen the north-south connection to the $331 million Opportunity Corridor. This will help build a sustainable mulit-modal transportation system supporting economic development, and enhance the quality of life for Northeast Ohio. These connections and improvements within the immediate neighborhoods address health, equity and connectivity.

This is urban prairie right now, but it's also immediately adjacent to the proposed Frank Jackson Alternative Urban Transportation Center.  (and firing range?)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:54:48 PM by E Rocc »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Clean slates are all the rage these days. #ScrantonPeninsula

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #448 on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »
Moved to the Opportunity Corridor redevelopment thread.....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:27:11 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #449 on: July 03, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
There were two significant real estate transactions in June in blighted, east-side neighborhoods by an out-of-state company. My first reaction is that If it sounds like a property flip/pump-and-dump scheme. But upon further review, this company looks for properties in blighted areas to reinvest in them. But these are both new buildings for federal agencies...

The first transaction from June I noticed was of 11601 Shaker Boulevard. This is at the site of recent activity, including the 139-unit St. Luke's Manor apartments, the 79 single-family homes of Legacy at St. Luke’s (adding to the 22 homes already built), the $5 million rebuilding of the East 116th light-rail station, and the NOACA transit-oriented development pilot project just south of the Rapid station.....

RTD Shaker Heights LLC was formed on May 12 by a company in Oklahoma City. The street address of the company and the man's name on the filing (Richard Tanenbaum) point to Gardner Tanenbaum Holdings. I found an interesting article about this man and his companies:  The article reads in part:

It can be difficult to look at a shuttered high school, a closed convention center or a long-abandoned industrial project as anything more than what it appears to be on the surface. At best, properties such as these are associated with positive memories; at worst, they’re eyesores.

When Richard Tanenbaum sees a once useful but now obsolete facility on a large piece of land in his hometown of Oklahoma City, he doesn’t see blight – he sees opportunity. “We like to be creative in our projects,” says Tanenbaum, the CEO of Gardner Tanenbaum Holdings. “There aren’t too many people who would want to take on the challenges we do.”

The transaction involves purchasing a still-new US Social Security Administration office building and parking lot for an awful lot of money.....

11601 SHAKER BLVD
CLEVELAND
Sales Date   6/16/2017
Amount   $2,302,750
Buyer   RTD SHAKER HEIGHTS LLC
Seller   PATRICK SHAKER PROPERTIES, LLC
Deed type   WARRANTY D
Land value   $164,700
Building value   $422,000
Total value   $586,700
Parcel   129-08-003
Property   Office buildings 1 and 2 stories

The two parcels immediately east, at 11701 Shaker, are also owned by PATRICK SHAKER PROPERTIES LLC. Makes me wonder if Tanenbaum is interested in this property as well.

The other transaction was of a VA Hospital outpatient surgery center. Tanenbaum spent a lot of money for this property too....

8901 SUPERIOR AVE
CLEVELAND
Sales Date   6/16/2017
Amount   $3,235,750
Buyer   RTD CLEVELAND LLC
Seller   MICHAEL DOWNING REALTY LTD
Deed type   WARRANTY D
Land value   $180,600
Building value   $1,257,400
Total value   $1,438,000
Parcel   107-11-008
Property   Medical clinics and offices

I'm very curious about their intentions, especially considering how much they paid for these new federal office buildings.