PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development  (Read 1874 times)

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: East Side Neighborhood Development
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Buckeye Commons
Buckeye Road and East 116th Street

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
What sort of housing is this?  Senior?  Permanent Supportive?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »
Most of my Google searches on "Buckeye Commons" returns the suburban-style strip shopping center at Buckeye and East 116th. The only reference to this housing project I could find is its appearance on the University Circle (nearest community-level planning jurisdiction) Design Review docket. The project's sponsor is listed as CHN -- Cleveland Housing Network.

CHN provides new and renovated homes for sale and rental with affordable mortgage payments and below market financing. So this is likely transition housing of some kind. Perhaps someone from CHN could provide a more accurate description.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
Does anyone know the status of the town homes on Superior right across from Langston Hughes library? They were getting built about 2 years ago but all of a sudden stopped, did they run out of funding or are they planning on continuing the development?

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
^All I remember is that some of the equity investment in the project came from Lebron. Not sure where things went wrong, but it's obviously been a really brutal few years for home sales, especially in marginal areas like that, so not too surprising to see things grind to a halt. I'm pretty sure the initial plan was for the row to continue east to fill the whole block.

In any case, looks like the project has been revived, at least to get the existing units sold. And with some [federally funded] subsidy to bring the price down enough to get them inhabited ASAP: http://www.progressiveurban.com/getagent/Pages.php?Page=0000800772
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:49:54 PM by StrapHanger »

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
^All I remember is that some of the equity investment in the project came from Lebron. Not sure where things went wrong, but it's obviously been a really brutal few years for home sales, especially in marginal areas like that, so not too surprising to see things grind to a halt. I'm pretty sure the initial plan was for the row to continue east to fill the whole block.

In any case, looks like the project has been revived, at least to get the existing units sold. And with some [federally funded] subsidy to bring the price down enough to get them inhabited ASAP: http://www.progressiveurban.com/getagent/Pages.php?Page=0000800772
Thanks I really wanted these to be finished to take a step forward in improving the neighborhood

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2012/crr06-04-2012.pdf

Board of Zoning Appeals
June 4, 2012

10:30
Ward 10
Calendar No. 12-64:
662 East 140th Street
Eugene Miller
17 Notices

POSTPONED FROM MAY 7, 2012
Joseph Saleh, owner, appeals to establish use as a retail grocery store with two residential units in an existing two-story building on a 40 x 120 lot in a C1 Residence Office District; subject to the limitations under Section 337.10, a retail grocery store is not a permitted use and is first permitted in a Local Retail Business District; and according to Cleveland Codified Ordinance 359.02(a)(b), a nonconforming use of a building or premises which has been discontinued shall not thereafter be returned to such nonconform-ing use and shall be considered discontinued:
(1) when the intent of the owner to discontinue the use is express; or (2) when the use is voluntarily dis-continued for six (6) months or more- the intent to voluntarily discontinue a use may be implied from acts or the failure to act, including, but not limited to, the removal of and failure to replace the charac-teristic equipment and furnishings; or, (3) the cessation of business operations for two (2) years or more unless the cessation of business operations was caused by factors out of the control of the business such as the disability or illness of the proprietor or governmental action unrelated to the behavior of the busi-ness; and if the business operations have ceased for more than two (2) years, the presence of characteris-tic equipment and furnishings is not relevant. (Filed 4-9-12; testimony taken.)
First postponement granted for the Councilman to convene a meeting with the appellants, the communi-ty and the local development corporation to review the proposed plan for use.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
"a retail grocery store is not a permitted use"

Why is this ever a zoning rule in the inner city...ever?

Online jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
One of the urban farms look to be well under way at Kinsman/55th/Woodland:

IMG_2466 by lilblondiecan2003, on Flickr

Here are updated shots of St Luke's Manor:

IMG_2465 by lilblondiecan2003, on Flickr

IMG_2464 by lilblondiecan2003, on Flickr

IMG_2461 by lilblondiecan2003, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:54:41 AM by jjames0408 »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »

What is the city's definition of a "retail" grocery store.  I'm going to assume they are trying to curb building corner stores and bodegas that do not food and veggies but beer, wine, cigs and lotter tickets.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
jjames0408, thanks for the pics of the huge urban farming structures/greehouses at the tip of the Forgotten Triangle. I could tell from past info I'd posted it was going to be big, but I didn't think it was going to be THAT big!!

Thanks also for the photos of St. Luke, where my dad was born in 1929.

Online jjames0408

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
No problem...I can't wait to get my bike in a couple weeks to do some true exploring...it's difficult to snap quick pics in a car.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »
No problem...I can't wait to get my bike in a couple weeks to do some true exploring...it's difficult to snap quick pics in a car.

I was going to make a joke about "drive-by shootings" with the camera, but residents in that area probably wouldn't find it very funny.

Online jjames0408

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
Well if they have snap peas at the urban farm we could call it 'drive by snappings' and be in the clear!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
Well if they have snap peas at the urban farm we could call it 'drive by snappings' and be in the clear!

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »

Gross incompetence, that's why.  Cleveland's zoning code represents an overt desire to suburbanize the city.  Suburbs don't have stores within neighborhoods, they have supermarkets with large parking lots that most customers are expected to drive to.  Increasingly, so does Cleveland.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

What is the city's definition of a "retail" grocery store.  I'm going to assume they are trying to curb building corner stores and bodegas that do not food and veggies but beer, wine, cigs and lotter tickets.

You can't write a code that tells the property owner that they can have some very specific type of retail if the land is zoned for retail.  The ability to control the selection comes through the discretion inherent in granting variances, which are routinely granted for 'desirable' uses which don't conform strictly to the code and which are routinely denied for 'undesirable' uses.  Quite the opposite of incompetence

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
In this particular case looks like it's just a crappy bodega begging to reopen after being closed so long that it lost it's right to stay grandfathered in.

Whether or not it makes sense to force a retail business to seek zoning approval to operate in an existing retail storefront is an interesting question, but probably best had on the zoning thread:  http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,25222.msg621126.html#new

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
Whether or not it makes sense to force a retail business to seek zoning approval to operate in an existing retail storefront is an interesting question

Interesting x10

You can't write a code that tells the property owner that they can have some very specific type of retail if the land is zoned for retail.  The ability to control the selection comes through the discretion inherent in granting variances, which are routinely granted for 'desirable' uses which don't conform strictly to the code and which are routinely denied for 'undesirable' uses.  Quite the opposite of incompetence

As a liberal democrat, I find that approach to be outrageously anti-business.  It should end today.  Every single store has to beg to city hall for the right to operate?  Really?  IIRC from the Playhouse Square thread, this also happens whenever someone tries to reopen a shuttered/vacant/decrepit bar or music venue.  Textbook example of what's wrong here.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:54:26 PM by 327 »

Offline MidwestChamp

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

As a liberal democrat, I find that approach to be outrageously anti-business.  It should end today.  Every single store has to beg to city hall for the right to operate?  Really?  IIRC from the Playhouse Square thread, this also happens whenever someone tries to reopen a shuttered/vacant/decrepit bar or music venue.  Textbook example of what's wrong here.   

As it should if that shuttered/vacant/decrepit bar or music venue is next to residential areas.  I'm all for bars and clubs...I go all the time...but I understand the city's desire to make sure residents, whether they've been there for 10 months or 10+ years, have the right to voice their concerns if a bar wants to open close to them.  Having grown up off of Superior Avenue in Cleveland near a number bars I can tell you every bar owner is a good guy when they want to open.  Some stay true to their word and operate great establishments...but more often than not in the more challenged areas of the city when the crowd thins they begin to play to a younger, drunker, rowdier crowd...and by then it's too late to protect your 2am peace and quiet...there's only years worth of fighting to close a place down.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
Two developments......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/06012012/index.php

CMHA 1 MW Solar Farm
Project Address: 8120 Kinsman
Project Representative: Mike Shaut, Carbon Vision LLC

No maps or renderings.

East2012-002 Dollar General New Construction
Project Address: 9011 Broadway Avenue
Project Representative: Matt Casey, Zaremba LLC

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
Two developments......

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2012/06012012/index.php

CMHA 1 MW Solar Farm
Project Address: 8120 Kinsman
Project Representative: Mike Shaut, Carbon Vision LLC

No maps or renderings.

East2012-002 Dollar General New Construction
Project Address: 9011 Broadway Avenue
Project Representative: Matt Casey, Zaremba LLC

Yaaaay a Dollar General..... :weird:

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
Hey, at least they're putting it on the sidewalk. But there's a Family Dollar only a block away. Wow.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
Hey, at least they're putting it on the sidewalk. But there's a Family Dollar only a block away. Wow.
And that's the exact reason I don't care for this being built I wish something better would be there...

Online jjames0408

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:01 AM »
Haven't you heard? Dollar stores replaced drug stores as the most plentiful retail establishments sometime last year.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:52 AM »
And that's the exact reason I don't care for this being built I wish something better would be there...

Like what?  A Starbucks? 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
Haven't you heard? Dollar stores replaced drug stores as the most plentiful retail establishments sometime last year.

Yep. I'm sure this makes MTS's blood boil....

Bloomberg News
Why Dollar Stores Are the Growth Engines of Retail
Posted on March 28, 2012

Bloomberg's Scarlet Fu reports that dollar stores are gaining market share from grocery stores and pharmacies and looks at the companies leading the way. She speaks on Bloomberg Television's "InBusiness With Margaret Brennan." (Source: Bloomberg)

MORE AT:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-28/dollar-stores-the-growth-story-of-retail

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »
^ Huh, should I change my opinion about that "classy" Cash For Gold place that opened in my hood?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
You can do whatever you want with that information.