PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: The Avenue District  (Read 7925 times)

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Cleveland: The Avenue District
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2005, 08:29:50 PM »
I just keep envisioning the area between PD and Erieview.. that area is going to expand very quick if this new E. 12th mega project succeeds. Why? Because there is so much undeveloped land and anything that is developed currently is in poor shape and has very low property value. There is no way people are gonna keep moving downtown to WHD and developers turn their heads to the potential of this area. I seriously have very high hopes as of right now!

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2005, 08:53:35 PM »
The city should acquire more of those parking lots before the redevelopment they want to do makes them too profitable like in the Warehouse District.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2005, 09:57:21 PM »
Good thinkin X!  Some good, old fashioned land banking sounds about right!  Especially if they're going to consider installing some public space on that end of town in the future.  I guess they can try to make that a part of these developments, but you'd be leaving it up to private developers...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 10:00:55 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »
Here's a good aerial shot of the area that I found ... maybe MayDay or someone can add some highlighting or text to explain this project for those who aren't as familiar with where it fits in ...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 07:50:46 AM by Paul in Cleveland »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2005, 08:18:52 AM »
thats a beautiful picture!  but just look at all that land "waiting and wanting" to be developed along St. Clair & Hamilton.  Some High Rise condos with lakeview would sell so fast.  If I had the money...... sigh  :|

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2005, 09:18:06 AM »
oi, the fact that channel ? moved its headquarters and the FBI built that gated office building right on the bluff really irks me.  there were efforts to develop them (Davenport Bluffs, anyone?) but I seem to remember this being a major Mike White era debacle.  Still, there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL for this area...and sure, we might not have the money, but people with money will take notice once these first few parcels get going!

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2005, 10:15:35 AM »
I always thought E.12th with the trees was one of the prettiest streets in Cleveland.  It is nice that someone will be able to enjoy them now.
I love that shot Paul, it really shows how Reserve Sq. and the Chesterfield will incorporate into this new area.

Anyone know what the short beige building just north east of the erieview building, north of the parking lot slated for development?

Offline nsc

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2005, 11:05:41 AM »
^I believe you are talking about the Holiday Inn on Lakeside.

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »
No, the Holiday Inn is directly east of the dark North Point Building.  The building just N of the parking lot is a parking garage with a Firestone automobile repair facility on the ground floor.  It's pretty ugly, I used to have to walk by it every day.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2005, 01:09:32 PM »
Paul, you beat me to it... I'm wondering if that sort of use is going to be "urged" out of the area once redevelopment begins.  For right now, there's no need to mess with it, since there aren't a lot of uses on the nearby blocks that don't involve automobiles.  But in the future, I can see that being a "blight" (what an awful word) on the residential community that we're talking about here.  The parking garage may be outdated, but I can't see it going anywhere unless someone has bigger plans for the lot.  Maybe a new form of retail on the ground floor could help it fit in?  some greening perhaps?  maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself?

Offline StrangeBrew

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2005, 11:47:32 AM »
Part of the plans call for a "reconfiguring" of 12th street, with wider sidewalks and narrower streets.  The trees would be moved from the medium to the sidewalks.

The Firestone Garage would face a row of "live/work" townhomes that would be a sort of "head" to the artists district to the east.  The idea is for artists in Superior/St.Clair to have a high-end showplace on the cusp of downtown. 

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »
Interesting...

Comments on the widening/replanting issue.  The median is a great asset as far as greenery goes, but it's true that it's not very functional.  I see no need to make the road narrower, but I can see the desire to make the greenspace more usable...i.e. a promenade, or shady sidewalks instead of a big concrete planter in the middle of the street.  It would be a shame if we lost the old trees to something newer and less mature, though.  (we've discussed the newer weak-bodied "spindly" q-tip trees that have been popping up downtown in other threads)

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2005, 12:17:12 PM »
it would also be nice to see the green space that sits next to a parking garage just south of Erieview turned into a more accessible/usable space.  Right now it's just a hill that has a certain "off limits" vibe to it.  With new development nearby, it could either see a new structure or be given a more welcoming public use. 

And then, of course, there's Perk Park, which hasn't changed yet???

Online 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2005, 12:19:53 PM »
Is there any available drawing of the proposed development?

Offline nsc

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2005, 12:25:49 PM »
I saw something on the news the other night.  It looks like 7ish story buildings that surround the perimeter of the site with courtyards in the middle. 

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2005, 12:28:49 PM »
on the news, eh?  that's nice! 

at this stage in the game, it's probably too early for actual designs, but Zaremba probably has something similar to Developers Diversified's conceptual plan for the East Bank.  I'd love to see it!

unfortunately, every time I turn to City Architecture for projects that they're working on, I get smacked in the face with this tease:

http://www.cityarch.com/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 12:31:30 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2005, 03:44:53 PM »
^in the meantime you can get an idea of what zaremba is all about from the projects on their website. they did the brunswick town center and the lorain harborwalk and lots of stuff. spectacular they are not, but they are good at filling suburban and inner city niches that many developers won't touch. these guys are capable of follow-thru and of course are local all the way so that's all good!

http://www.zarembagroup.com/construction.html

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2005, 03:58:08 PM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 03:58:48 PM by Mister Good Day »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »
Good news item. 'Bout time the local broadcast news actually broadcasted some news!

KJP
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2005, 04:58:32 PM »
well well, thats a new tone for the local news

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2005, 05:39:25 PM »

Just some massing and location for those who dont know the area.

Online 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »
Thanks for help.  I didn't know exactly where this was.  There is some definite room to expand onto other parking lots.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks Ferrari, that helps.  The only thing is that the third lot is the lot along Superior.  Not the lot north of Rockwell and East 13th.  Its the lot that has the shadow of one of the blimps in it.

Online 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2005, 06:42:59 PM »
X,

The really big lot?  That would be great.

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »
^ Damn thats the map I used and some how I messed it up!  Ill fix it tomarrow...

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2005, 08:49:32 PM »
Ok here we go, thicker lines more accurate but the heights are a little bigger than we should expect I think...

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2005, 11:04:21 PM »
The drawings shown on the Channel 3 webcast depicted an eight-story building (I actually paused the webcast and counted the floors -- pretty sad, eh?).  <--don't answer that.

KJP
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2005, 05:38:04 AM »
^ Yeah and 3-4 story townhomes as I recall.

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2005, 05:39:35 AM »
Quote: It would be a shame if we lost the old trees to something newer and less mature, though.  (we've discussed the newer weak-bodied "spindly" q-tip trees that have been popping up downtown in other threads)

Yes we have, they are terrible.

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2005, 01:40:12 PM »
The drawings shown on the Channel 3 webcast depicted an eight-story building (I actually paused the webcast and counted the floors -- pretty sad, eh?).  <--don't answer that.

KJP

Wasn't the NBC news video depicting the new project at Westgate Mall???

Beyond that, I am all for the project, but I kinda lost a bit of excitement when I read the 4-story part.. It'd great to see another mega scraper next to Erieview but I do think some construction and small projects far outweigh no construction and ugly parking lots.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 01:41:00 PM by bizbiz »