PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 37329 times)

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #4890 on: April 10, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
For what it's worth on the saturation front, I wanted to go to Bakersfield on Saturday night.  We put our name into the app at 6:30 and they forecasted a table open at 9:30.  We walked there to have a drink and had to sit on the patio outside because the building was at fire code capacity.  We gave up and walked to Bar Cento at 9pm, the tables were all full and we only managed to get a first-come, first-serve bar table after waiting for 15 minutes.

I think this summer will see even more popularity for the neighborhood.

Bakersfield on Saturday night eluded me like Dorsia to Patrick Bateman

Offline MorningTheft

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #4891 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:17 AM »
I've noticed some work going on at the old Anthony's Hardware on Bridge and 47th. Now there is a building permit in the window.  Anyone know what the plan is?

Offline YO to the CLE

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4892 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
I saw that too. I hope it will remain retail. That area could use a small little commercial building. One of my biggest pet peeves is when they convert storefronts to residential.

Offline CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4893 on: April 18, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Transferred in November to BEAVOGUI REALTY LTD. Looks like they own a nice house in Battery Park and this place in Cuyahoga County.

No building permits in the Cleveland online system associated with that parcel yet.

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4894 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Last I heard there was to be an African goods (import?) store going in there. Sudanese, maybe? My memory is crap.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4895 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
^an african store would be very cool. Why do think it would be Sudanese--are there a lot of people from Sudan in Ohio City?

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4896 on: April 18, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
^an african store would be very cool. Why do think it would be Sudanese--are there a lot of people from Sudan in Ohio City?

Most of the recent immigrants on Cleveland's West side are from East Africa: Somalia, Sudanese, and Ethiopian all have notable populations.

Offline dhm

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #4897 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
Huge Congolese Church on the corner of 45th and bridge right there. Lots of African immigrants mostly are from DRC (Congo) and are housed on near west side.

Source: I work for migration services and live on w 47

Offline dhm

« Reply #4898 on: April 18, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
While Somali and Sudanese immigrants are more noticeable because of the way they dress, Congolese immigrants  outnumber them immensely. You just don't notice them because they look like native African American

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #4899 on: April 18, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
Update on the Snavely Project (I really wish this had a name already). View is from where Superior Viaduct/Vermont meets W25th

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4900 on: April 20, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Interesting small project:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr04-24-2017.pdf
Board of Zoning Appeals
APRIL 24, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-37: 2201 West 33 Street Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
15 Notices
Cleveland Bricks, owner, proposes to convert a store to a four unit apartment building in a B1 TwoFamily
Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following
sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 337.03(a) which states that buildings with more than two dwelling units are not
permitted in a Two-Family Residential District.
2. Section 359.01 which states that Board of Zoning Appeals review and approval is required for a
substitution of a non-conforming use or building. Besides use, non-conformity also exists in
area/density (Per section 355.04, gross floor area is limited to 1,480 square feet, 4,515 square
feet is proposed), required side yards (Per Section 357.09(b)(2)(B) an interior side yard of the
height of the building is required and approximately 3 feet provided), and location and number of
parking spaces (Per 349.05 parking cannot be within 10 feet of wall of residential structure, and
Per 349.04 spaces provided due to improper location of 2 existing/proposed parking spaces).
(Filed February 8, 2017-No Testimony) FIRST POSTPONEMENT MADE AT THE REQUEST OF THE
APPELLANT.

"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4901 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Interesting small project:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2017/crr04-24-2017.pdf
Board of Zoning Appeals
APRIL 24, 2017

9:30
Calendar No. 17-37: 2201 West 33 Street Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
15 Notices
Cleveland Bricks, owner, proposes to convert a store to a four unit apartment building in a B1 TwoFamily
Residential District. The owner appeals for relief from the strict application of the following
sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 337.03(a) which states that buildings with more than two dwelling units are not
permitted in a Two-Family Residential District.
2. Section 359.01 which states that Board of Zoning Appeals review and approval is required for a
substitution of a non-conforming use or building. Besides use, non-conformity also exists in
area/density (Per section 355.04, gross floor area is limited to 1,480 square feet, 4,515 square
feet is proposed), required side yards (Per Section 357.09(b)(2)(B) an interior side yard of the
height of the building is required and approximately 3 feet provided), and location and number of
parking spaces (Per 349.05 parking cannot be within 10 feet of wall of residential structure, and
Per 349.04 spaces provided due to improper location of 2 existing/proposed parking spaces).
(Filed February 8, 2017-No Testimony) FIRST POSTPONEMENT MADE AT THE REQUEST OF THE
APPELLANT.

This is both good and bad.  Good because it demonstrates the demand for rental housing in OC and here the neighborhood is getting a viable 4-unit apt from a rundown looking commercial building. 

Bad because this demonstrates the need for substantial multi-unit housing isn't being met, leading to numerous conversions of commercial properties and single family homes into small multi-unit dwellings.  While the several multi-unit dwellings have been, and are being built in OC's northern flank along Detroit, the Market Sq. area to the south, as well as the area south of there, hasn't seen any new apt construction at all in recent years.  The loft conversions at WSCH and the Jay Hotel have been the largest area apartment developments in the last few years, and yet these are relatively small projects.  As for possible new construction, the Market Square Plaza mixed-use TOD proposal a few years ago was hopeful, but has gone dark apparently for financing difficulties, among other reasons.  The planned infill in Duck Island to the west of the Red Line station can fulfill some of the need, but Market Square clearly needs substantial apartment growth to meet demand.  It's Cleveland's most popular entertainment district outside of downtown.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:24:36 AM by clvlndr »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4902 on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
I also like having neighborhood-scale markets in the middle of a neighborhood that people can easily walk to. So I'd hate to see this market go. But it probably wasn't exactly selling fresh foods and groceries, and was more about selling snacks, beer, wine and lottery tickets.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4903 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »
^Yeah, I hate losing stores like these too.  I don't know this particular area that well, but in many older neighborhoods these numerous little corner stores are part of Cleveland's charm.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4904 on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:37 AM »
^On the other hand, if these grungy lotto/cigarette markets are slowly being replaced by the newer small groceries on Lorain that actually sell high quality food, I don't consider it much of a loss. I mostly see a poorly maintained building in a fringe part of Ohio City drawing substantial investment, which is pretty awesome.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4905 on: April 20, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
^I think there's a place for these 'grungy' cig/lotto/beer, etc. places right in the neighborhood.  When stores are selling 'high quality' food and are located along the main drag in the trendy strip, it's usually for the foo-foo crowd and usually smacks of gentrification.  I think some gentrification of OC can be good, but I'm not in favor of totally driving out all blue-collar working people.  And as we see with places like Family Dollar in Market Square, young professionals along with lower-income folks frequent the small brown-bag joints as well.  Many of them think these places are 'cool.'

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4906 on: April 20, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
^I think there's a place for these 'grungy' cig/lotto/beer, etc. places right in the neighborhood.  When stores are selling 'high quality' food and are located along the main drag in the trendy strip, it's usually for the foo-foo crowd and usually smacks of gentrification.  I think some gentrification of OC can be good, but I'm not in favor of totally driving out all blue-collar working people.  And as we see with places like Family Dollar in Market Square, young professionals along with lower-income folks frequent the small brown-bag joints as well.  Many of them think these places are 'cool.'

I used to buy beer at Fulton Beverage in high school. God bless "grunge" places

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4907 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
We do need these and they can't all be on the main drag.  I go by the "what if you need TP and don't have a car" principle for distribution of corner stores.

Offline metrocity

« Reply #4908 on: April 20, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
I used to live in Ohio City...mid nineties and I swear there were no corner stores. All there was were the gas stations. No nonsense corner stores are awesome.

Offline Barneyboy

« Reply #4909 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
I lived in Little Italy in the mid-1980s and there was an itty-bitty grocery/convenience store, not on the corner or in a strip or plaza, but smack dab in between a couple houses on Murray Hill Rd. (currently Club Leo). They sold mostly beer and wine but also carried all those little "oh crap, I'm out of_____" sort of things that you just don't want to have to get in the car to get. I'd come home from work via the red line and walk past this place   and they'd have just about anything you needed. Kind of harkens back to a by-gone era.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4910 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:56 PM »
I used to live in Ohio City...mid nineties and I swear there were no corner stores. All there was were the gas stations. No nonsense corner stores are awesome.

Please tell me you didn't hang out at that Irish bar in the hood!!!

Offline metrocity

« Reply #4911 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
^I don't recall that, but the Fulton Cafe for sure

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4912 on: April 20, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
^I don't recall that, but the Fulton Cafe for sure

Brief memory gain!

Marshall McClarens.....there was a child prostitution ring there. These were dark times in the O.C.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4913 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
Project 29 Joining Westside's High-End Apartment Boom, Stoking Neighborhood 'Growing Pains'

The growing pains of Ohio City's commercial-residential interface are well worn territory for Cleveland's civic-minded base and especially for those who actually live and work in the area. In the corner of Ohio City that some call "Hingetown," the question of how to negotiate neighborhood development is crystallized in the newest big-ticket project.

The development team behind Project 29 landed before the Cleveland Planning Commission this morning, and, by most accounts, they're well on their way to securing approval for an 11-story, 163-unit mixed-use site on Detroit Avenue between West 29th and West 28th. The project proposes two buildings ("The Church" and "The State"), split by a walkway that would be used for anything from concerts to wedding receptions. It's backed by westside power couple Graham Veysey and Marika Shioiri-Clark.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/04/21/project-29-joining-westsides-high-end-apartment-boom-stoking-neighborhood-growing-pains

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4914 on: April 21, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
Project 29 Joining Westside's High-End Apartment Boom, Stoking Neighborhood 'Growing Pains'

The growing pains of Ohio City's commercial-residential interface are well worn territory for Cleveland's civic-minded base and especially for those who actually live and work in the area. In the corner of Ohio City that some call "Hingetown," the question of how to negotiate neighborhood development is crystallized in the newest big-ticket project.

The development team behind Project 29 landed before the Cleveland Planning Commission this morning, and, by most accounts, they're well on their way to securing approval for an 11-story, 163-unit mixed-use site on Detroit Avenue between West 29th and West 28th. The project proposes two buildings ("The Church" and "The State"), split by a walkway that would be used for anything from concerts to wedding receptions. It's backed by westside power couple Graham Veysey and Marika Shioiri-Clark.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/04/21/project-29-joining-westsides-high-end-apartment-boom-stoking-neighborhood-growing-pains

While I sympathize with some of the older residents, I think a lot of their energy is just misguided.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4915 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
I definitely sympathize with people who don't want nightlife/noise coming into their quiet neighborhood. But the general solution issues like that is focusing intense development on primary corridors well served by transit. Which is exactly what this proposal does. So sympathies or not, I hope the city approves this project ASAP.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4916 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
I definitely sympathize with people who don't want nightlife/noise coming into their quiet neighborhood. But the general solution issues like that is focusing intense development on primary corridors well served by transit. Which is exactly what this proposal does. So sympathies or not, I hope the city approves this project ASAP.

Right. The opposition reminds me of an insular, small town mindset. Cites change. Constantly. If you want to live in a place where things never change well there's plenty of other places to live.

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4917 on: April 21, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »

Another reason for closing West 29th from Detroit to Franklin and make it pedestrian only.

I was at Mason's creamery the other day when I overheard / eavesdropped on the conversation next to me. It was a young man, who obviously grew up in the neighborhood, speaking to his friend.

The young man mentioned the new proposed Project 29 and said "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." to which his friend replied "You realize you wouldn't be eating this ice cream right now if it were not for gentrification." Perhaps the best response I have ever heard in the perennial debate over gentrification.

I understand not wanting the neighborhood to change and nightlife to come into a neighborhood... but this is on Detroit Road, let the neighborhood fabric be insulated behind, let the thoroughfare thrive and modernize.

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4918 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
... "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." ..

That land sitting vacant land = less housing available = available housing increases in price.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4919 on: April 21, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
^ it's amazing how many people don't get this.