PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 11082 times)

evanf811 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #4860 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
Anyone notice that around 5 of the new "historic" looking light poles that were installed onto the Lorain-Carnegie bridge are already broken?  Just the pole remains, with wires hanging down and no light.  So frustrating that things don't last.  Wonder what happened?

Sounds like their maintenance has been turned over to RTA.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4861 on: March 18, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
Tiny house project a failure:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/03/17/that-tiny-house-experiment-in-detroit-shoreway-pretty-much-failed

There are too many attractive alternatives in Cleveland in that price range. Some tiny houses have been built and sold in my area because they were relatively a much better bargain over conventional choices than these examples; fwiw, energy efficiency didn't have much to do with their appeal, at least according to r.e. sales people.

Edit: I see Detroit-Shoreway in the article title, but this topic was, I think, where tiny houses were last mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:27:10 PM by Dougal »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4862 on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
I had a feeling that this housing model wouldn't work in this market.  The Cleveland market is very affordable and there are too many other houses in the same price range.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4863 on: March 18, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
Anyone notice that around 5 of the new "historic" looking light poles that were installed onto the Lorain-Carnegie bridge are already broken?  Just the pole remains, with wires hanging down and no light.  So frustrating that things don't last.  Wonder what happened?

I think those days with very high winds knocked a couple off. Hoping they're fixed soon

Sounds like their maintenance has been turned over to RTA.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4864 on: March 18, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Those couple days with really high winds knocked a couple off. Hopefully they're fixed soon

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #4865 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Climbed up to the top of my building today. Perfect view of the Snavely project at W25th and Detroit. It appears the first floor is pored (underground parking) and columns are going up. Also they have been working on the interiors of the historic buildings across the street from the new build too for a few weeks now.

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4866 on: March 19, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Climbed up to the top of my building today. Perfect view of the Snavely project at W25th and Detroit. It appears the first floor is pored (underground parking) and columns are going up. Also they have been working on the interiors of the historic buildings across the street from the new build too for a few weeks now.

I drove past yesterday for the first time in probably 3-4 weeks. I cannot believe how fast they are moving! Also, as the build out the foundation I begin to grasp how large of a development this actually is. My initial - totally unfounded - thoughts were that it would only take up a parcel or two on the corner.

I would love to see what this does to the property values at Stonebridge, especially considering the project will include a small marketplace.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #4867 on: March 19, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »
^ I'm most excited for the market. What I miss most about living in the Warehouse District is being right next to Constantinos. This will fill that void. They look to be in a good position there too, between Stonebridge, Lakeview, their own project, and all of the projects just opening and proposed in Hingetown, they'll have alot of condo/apartment residents in very easy walking distance.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4868 on: March 19, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »

Please continue to live there for a few more years, until the Snavely and Project 29 developments are done! That view is going to look very different. Would be nice to have a then/now comparison. :)
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4869 on: March 19, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
Have they announced the operator of the market at the Snavely project yet? Haven't heard.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4870 on: March 19, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
I don't know if it's announced but I am aware of who it is.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4871 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
That's coming along quickly!

Offline sooner

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #4872 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
PoshSteve, you obviously live in Stonebridge....so what is happening with the new exterior cladding there? Thanks.

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4873 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
PoshSteve, you obviously live in Stonebridge....so what is happening with the new exterior cladding there? Thanks.

My fiance lives there as well. Last i heard, the building was getting a new name and a new exterior beginning early this summer.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4874 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Awesome view of the site!  There must be a tower crane that's going to pop out of there somewhere.  Doesn't like there's room for a walking crane anywhere. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4875 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
Awesome view of the site!  There must be a tower crane that's going to pop out of there somewhere.  Doesn't like there's room for a walking crane anywhere. 

No tower crane needed. The Snavely project is only going to be five stories tall.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:14:42 PM by KJP »

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #4876 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »

My fiance lives there as well. Last i heard, the building was getting a new name and a new exterior beginning early this summer.

I heard the same. It was supposed to start last spring, but they had trouble finding a company who was able to take on a project of that scale at that time.

Offline lafont

« Reply #4877 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
There were a few posts here regarding several "broken" street lights on the Hope Memorial Bridge.  I saw the other day all the globes (or whatever they're called) on the "historic" fixtures have been removed, with the wires exposed.  Wonder what they'll be replaced with.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:15:39 PM by lafont »

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4878 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »
Since a few of the lamps blew off in the ridiculous wind storm a couple weeks ago the city decided to remove them and reinstall them in a bolted manner as opposed to the way they were originally fastened. Hopefully this is done quickly, but I think the city deserves some credit for responding and acting on this immediately.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4879 on: April 01, 2017, 05:58:58 AM »

No tower crane needed. The Snavely project is only going to be five stories tall.
Right, but regardless of the height, I don't think there's anywhere to put a walking crane where it could still boom out all the way across the site.  That it a tight site.  Unless they closed a lane on Detroit to stage a crane.

Offline Klingaling87

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4880 on: April 01, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »

Right, but regardless of the height, I don't think there's anywhere to put a walking crane where it could still boom out all the way across the site.  That it a tight site.  Unless they closed a lane on Detroit to stage a crane.

Ageee. Tower cranes aren't used just for height, but also site constraints. Take Columbus's short north. Some of the new infill doesn't require a tower crane based on height, but rather site constraints.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #4881 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
^^ There is a lane on Detroit closed "permanently" for this project. They also regularly close one of the lanes on W25th. By my untrained eye, they should have enough room in their area of Detroit for a crane.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4882 on: April 01, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
^^ There is a lane on Detroit closed "permanently" for this project. They also regularly close one of the lanes on W25th. By my untrained eye, they should have enough room in their area of Detroit for a crane.

Are their any plans to make that intersection more pedestrian friendly?   It can be a brutal stretch to cross...

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4883 on: April 01, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
I have this grand vision of 29th Street being closed and entirely pedestrian from Detroit to Church Ave. With the addition of the brewery this summer as well as the existing shops and JukeBox, I think this would be a GREAT entertainment area for locals. Additionally, closing such a small stretch would not seriously affect any traffic patterns.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #4884 on: April 02, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
Snapped some pics of inside the fences at the Snavely project. Views are from Detroit and 25th

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4885 on: April 09, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
Saturation isn't a worry for Ohio City restaurateurs
April 09, 2017
By SUSAN CONDON LOVE

Ohio City, to paraphrase a quote about Silicon Valley, "is a mindset, not a location."

This spring, those words resonate with particular meaning. Within a few months, at least seven restaurants are opening, and several already established dining spots are planning changes to their menus.

...With this flurry of activity, continuing a decade of growth in the historic Cleveland neighborhood, the question arises: Is too much happening in an already area home to some 250 business and 9,000 residents?

Vibrancy to a saturation point, it seems, is a complicated question.

...There's another factor in restaurateurs' faith that healthy growth can be sustained. In 2013, Ohio City Inc. conducted a housing study that showed "immediate demand" for more than 1,800 units of new housing.

"Since we conducted the housing study, there have been more than 200 units of for-sale and rental housing completed, and over 1,000 more units under construction or development, resulting in an investment of nearly $300 million," Shaw said.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170409/NEWS/170409838/saturation-isnt-a-worry-for-ohio-city-restaurateurs

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4886 on: April 10, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
^Time for a mixed-use multi-story TOD development at 25th/Lorain! 

Offline RMB

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #4887 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
For what it's worth on the saturation front, I wanted to go to Bakersfield on Saturday night.  We put our name into the app at 6:30 and they forecasted a table open at 9:30.  We walked there to have a drink and had to sit on the patio outside because the building was at fire code capacity.  We gave up and walked to Bar Cento at 9pm, the tables were all full and we only managed to get a first-come, first-serve bar table after waiting for 15 minutes.

I think this summer will see even more popularity for the neighborhood.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4888 on: April 10, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »
For what it's worth on the saturation front, I wanted to go to Bakersfield on Saturday night.  We put our name into the app at 6:30 and they forecasted a table open at 9:30.  We walked there to have a drink and had to sit on the patio outside because the building was at fire code capacity.  We gave up and walked to Bar Cento at 9pm, the tables were all full and we only managed to get a first-come, first-serve bar table after waiting for 15 minutes.

I think this summer will see even more popularity for the neighborhood.

I dont know anything about Bakersfield, never been...but i did walk by on saturday AM going to my car from the market.  They definitely didnt cut corners with the decor...seems like a place that will be a big hit.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4889 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
It's so good. OTR born, expanded to Columbus and Indianapolis, and now Cleveland. Well worth it!